PDA

View Full Version : Is it still too early or Can it be said that Portland messed up taking Oden over KD?

JordansBulls
08-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Is it still too early or Can it be said that Portland messed up taking Oden over Durant?

Tom81
08-09-2009, 01:35 PM
I think Portland made a huge error taking Oden over Durant .

Catfish1314
08-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Way too early. Very, very few players in the NBA have Oden's combination of length, athleticism, hands, etc. He's had a rough first 2 years in the NBA, but the potential hasn't gone anywhere. He can still be a 20-10 big man.

blackjack_119
08-09-2009, 01:56 PM
From the looks of Team USA mini-camp, it is too early to tell.

Hawkeye15
08-09-2009, 02:22 PM
too early. We know Durant will be a stud. But if Oden can stay healthy, he could very well be the guy who is capable of stopping Gasol/Bynum, Howard, Ming, etc. He will never have the dynamic numbers that KD will have, but could have a huge effect on the floor for a team that already has a superstar, and good depth. In reality, if Oden plays 75 games this year, and goes for 12/9, with block shots and intimidation, Portland could very well find itself very deep into the playoffs.

LA_Raiders
08-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Hell yeah, they ****ed up...

Roy/KD Wow...

FaceDown91
08-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Hell yes portland screwed up with that pick. But then again, it does not really matter, blazers still have a great team and in the future they will still a beast team.

nikefreek220
08-09-2009, 03:32 PM
they messed up big time.
i dont care if oden turns it around and averages 20/10

Durant is going to average 30/7/4 soon.

roy and durant= wow

SeoulBeatz
08-09-2009, 03:33 PM
i know Odens been injury riddled but even when healthy i didnt get what all the hype was about. Oden i think has 18-12-2 potential, which is great dont get me wrong, but he just doesnt have good post moves and is pretty much a glorified mutumbo. but he aint even close to mutumbos level. KD is already putting up numbers better than Oden and he's just such a dangerous weapon that i dont think they could have gone wrong with that pick

Roy and KD, cmon now. They already had a solid big in lemarcus and pryz aint that bad. But Roy and KD. Let me say that again. Roy and KD.

Bluerapoileagle
08-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Durant's already turned into a star and Oden's done nothing.

JWO35
08-09-2009, 03:38 PM
BIG MISTAKE

Kevin Durant + Brandon Roy = Unstoppable

eric1501
08-09-2009, 03:39 PM
This is a simple question to answer.

Hell yeah they did. Durant is top 3 player in this league. I think he is going to average 28 a game this year.

zambo4president
08-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Portland needed a center at the time, Oden is still good hes just not absolutely ridiculous like KD.

Draco
08-09-2009, 03:40 PM
It's probably too early but if I'm Pritchard I'm still wishing I had Durant. Gotta go with the known quantity over the unknown.

GCOOKIE7
08-09-2009, 03:43 PM
10th time i've seen a thread like this.

GCOOKIE7
08-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Is it too early to say this is the last thread like this?

Toenail Clipper
08-09-2009, 03:49 PM
There's been a thread about this!
Don't start all over again. >_>

blazerman
08-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Durant/Roy/Aldridge would have been great for sure but we picked Oden and I am thrilled at the possibilities with Oden/Roy/Aldridge in the near future.

I dont think it's a question of if Greg will improve but when. As long as he stays healthy he will come around in a big way for Portland.

Next season for Oden 13.7ppg 9.8reb 2.1 blks in 31 mins is what I figure. Not Durant stats but right on track in recovering from microfracture. His defense will be whats important.

Pryzbilla is there also so I dont envision more than 31 minutes for Oden, why burn him out its a long season and the Blazers will have a ticket to the the playoffs not OKC (possible but doubtful).

TheMicrowave
08-09-2009, 05:10 PM
In the end I think Durant is going to have a better career and be a better player. Durant is going to be one of the top 5 in the league very very soon.

Oden is trying to become a great center, which is the hardest position to become good at, at this level. I think he will do okay, but I would take Durant over Oden anyday of the week. Oden still needs more time to mature and develop especially because he is a center and has been injured most of his career.

TheMicrowave
08-09-2009, 05:13 PM
10th time i've seen a thread like this.

And this is the 100th time you have posted in it, and the second in this particular one alone. If you don't want to read/post about it, then don't click. There is no need for a post like that when it has nothing to do with the topic. Have a little respect for the others on PSD Forums.

Bruno
08-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Still too early, but this upcoming season is important for Odens mental game, he needs to get over this hump he's on; its a head thing.

Sean McG
08-09-2009, 05:33 PM
It definitely wasn't a mistake at the time, they needed a big guy and Oden looked like the next big thing. Not winning the lottery that year will go down as one of the best things in franchise history for Seattle/OKC.

Trouble87
08-09-2009, 05:37 PM
still too early to tell

Byronicle
08-09-2009, 05:39 PM
wow greg oden only had 1 full season, kevin durant is a scorer, Oden is a defensive player. Another thing is quality centres do not come often, there will always be good scoring wings, wingers have the most talent, but good centres are hard to find

DODGERS&LAKERS
08-09-2009, 05:49 PM
I like the lineup of

Miller/Blake
Roy/Fernandez
Durant/Outlaw/ Batum
Aldridge/??
Przybilla??

DaVille
08-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Of course. Its not even close. Durant is a superstar, while Oden is the 4th best player on his team. The sad part is Durant is only 20. Sorry Portland You've done it again.

kswissdaf
08-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Too early to say he is a bust though

IndiansFan337
08-09-2009, 06:04 PM
I think that Oden can still be a very good player, but I think that Durant has a chance to be a superstar.

It doesn't seem like Oden ever will be at that level. I would like to see Portland run more offensive plays for him on the block though. I remember when he was at OSU he was unstoppable when he would get the ball down low. And he is a pretty good FT shooter, compared to fellow big men.

JordansBulls
08-09-2009, 06:10 PM
And this is the 100th time you have posted in it, and the second in this particular one alone. If you don't want to read/post about it, then don't click. There is no need for a post like that when it has nothing to do with the topic. Have a little respect for the others on PSD Forums.

:nod:

b_rad23
08-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Even if Oden reaches his potential, he still won't be Durant. Durant will be a top 3 player in the league with Wade and Lebron for years. Oden could be top 3 center, but never a top 3 player.

Durant is and always will be the vastly superior talent.

It's like asking do you draft Kobe or Dwight? I think most would say Kobe in hindsight, but you can't really go too wrong with Dwight.

homestarunner93
08-09-2009, 06:22 PM
I still thinks its too early, however those of you saying KD+Roy=:drool: are irrational. Do you honestly think they would put up the same, great numbers if they were playing together? Of course not!

magichatnumber9
08-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Why?

Mavrix
08-09-2009, 08:17 PM
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=395092

DetroitRipCity
08-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Its too early Oden has only played 1 season

what54!?
08-09-2009, 08:50 PM
its too early. Oden has only played one season so he will get better but he has A LOT to work on. In a couple we'll know. KD is already a stud though and wow he and roy could've caused some damage

BUCSFORLIFE123
08-09-2009, 08:51 PM
is it still too early or can it be said that portland messed up taking sam bowie over mj?

Hustla23
08-09-2009, 08:53 PM
They messed up, plain and simple.

This is going to be another Bowie incident, except to a lesser degree.

Sam Bowie put up decent numbers. 14/10 or something like that for his career.

But he was no MJ

BUCSFORLIFE123
08-09-2009, 09:17 PM
well obviously its still too early as oden has only played 1 year. now during draft day, it wasnt like it was a terrible pick b/c it was actually a really good one in that oden was considered a once in a decade big guy and durant was a solid forward, which isnt that hard to find nowadays compared to a solid big man.

yoseppii12
08-09-2009, 09:22 PM
I think this is kind of a dumb question because obviously you don't know what is going to happen but before the draft and now I still believe that Durant should of easily been picked before. He was way ore dynamic in college he was actually one of the best I had seen in a long long time. Oden is good and has alot of upside but what can you really say against Durant to not take him. A 6'10'' combo guard forward or a 7' Big Man...This league is all about playing multiple positions or being a hybrid and Durant is exactly that

MajorFloridaFan
08-09-2009, 10:17 PM
I think its to early to say at this point

Sports Illustrator
08-09-2009, 10:38 PM
Portland did not made a mistake in taking Greg Oden over Kevin Durant. Most other NBA teams would have made the same decision.

However, it is already safe to say that Greg Oden will not be anywhere near as good of a player that Durant will be. Once Durant becomes a better leader in help to carry his team to win games, he should be an All-Star and eventually a superstar player.

ya_boi
08-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Too early to tell. Ask me 2 years from now.

rainbowcow1
08-09-2009, 10:52 PM
they knew they *******D up once they heard he was gonna miss his first season LOL

mdabstar
08-09-2009, 11:19 PM
its way too early. oden hasnt played a full season yet. again when portland made the pick they needed a big man.

static_inferno
08-09-2009, 11:27 PM
big mistake. i knew right away the guy would be a bust. overhyped and he wasn't even good at the college level.

Raph12
08-09-2009, 11:35 PM
Man think about the lineup:
PG - Blake
SG - Roy
SF - DURANTULA!
PF - Aldridge
C - Pryzbilla

Now Blake and Pryzbilla would be replaced eventually, but man would that lineup would tear sh/t up!

Rome
08-09-2009, 11:37 PM
Too early, but Kevin is running away with for sure.

Hanzinho
08-09-2009, 11:43 PM
BIG MISTAKE

Kevin Durant + Brandon Roy = Unstoppable

+1

Brandon Roy = Michael Jordan

Kevin Durant = Scottie Pippen

:sigh:

king4day
08-09-2009, 11:50 PM
They went with need first of all. And almost every single team in the league would have done the same thing.

king4day
08-10-2009, 12:00 AM
+1

When Durant reaches his prime, he will blow past Pippen.

jacquewho?
08-10-2009, 12:20 AM
Eh we will see in a few seasons. I don't think Portland was in a win mode before they drafted Oden. That win-mod came after that season when Oden didn't play. Right now, durant would have been the better pick, but I think in about 2 seasons the pick won't look as bad as it did now. And its tough to get a defensive big man like Oden nowadays, so I think the Blazers didn't eff up yet.

However, durant is going to be amazing....

JordansBulls
08-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Man think about the lineup:
PG - Blake
SG - Roy
SF - DURANTULA!
PF - Aldridge
C - Pryzbilla

Now Blake and Pryzbilla would be replaced eventually, but man would that lineup would tear sh/t up!

That team would have been awesome.

BkOriginalOne
08-10-2009, 08:38 AM
If they took KD, they would have a high octate 1-2 punch in Roy/Durrant.
But they would have no center to anchor everything around.
If Oden develops into a player who gets, Mutumbo numbers, then they get get a starting 3 to complete their team. Or hey, maybe Rudy proves to be that guy this year.

mitch91
08-10-2009, 08:50 AM
i think its to early to tell

krazylegz
08-10-2009, 09:07 AM
its too early,but seriously,its only a season away from being a huge mistake....this is going to be make or break for greg oden this year.

CELTICS4LYFE
08-10-2009, 09:14 AM
I think oden is more what they needed anyway

thatmediadude
08-10-2009, 09:25 AM
+1

I can't believe you just compared Roy to MJ.. Really?

They would have been scary, but seriously... not MJ or Pippen. First off, Durant will be a lot better than Pippen...and Roy will be a fingernail of Michael Jordan..

Unruly Fan
08-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Way too early. Very, very few players in the NBA have Oden's combination of length, athleticism, hands, etc. He's had a rough first 2 years in the NBA, but the potential hasn't gone anywhere. He can still be a 20-10 big man.^^^

A decent bigman is always needed to compliment the wings. Oden, Aldridge tandem + Pryzbilla is crazy

limebalz05
08-10-2009, 09:53 AM
KD will always be known as the better player because he is a scorer! Oden will never put up the numbers like KD but Oden has the ability to CHANGE THE GAME with his defense and strength. Oden may never develope Hakeem O moves, but he has the talent to become a Deke, Alonzo, Ewing type of defender.

limebalz05
08-10-2009, 09:55 AM
I can't believe you just compared Roy to MJ.. Really?

They would have been scary, but seriously... not MJ or Pippen. First off, Durant will be a lot better than Pippen...and Roy will be a fingernail of Michael Jordan..

KD will be a better scorer than Pippen, but he will NEVER be the complete player that Pippen was.

atl_braves_fan
08-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Portland would be nasty with Durant.

atl_braves_fan
08-10-2009, 10:13 AM
KD will always be known as the better player because he is a scorer! Oden will never put up the numbers like KD but Oden has the ability to CHANGE THE GAME with his defense and strength. Oden may never develope Hakeem O moves, but he has the talent to become a Deke, Alonzo, Ewing type of defender.

Yeah, he really changes the game with that 21.5 minutes per game that he can stay on the court (not to mention the 20 games per year that he will miss).

Durant is known as the better player because he is a better player, not just because he scores more.

Daze9900
08-10-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm going to say huge mistake. There are a couple of threads saying that they needed a center, but I dont see what would have been a problem with sliding Aldridge to the 5 spot. His athleticism and skillset shows that this may be a more natural position for him. Their hole would have been at the 4 spot something they could have filled. I agree with Roy and Durant together equalling wow. How would you stop that? The answer would have been "you don't". Thats why they are wasting time on trying to get players like Lee or Hedo because they now realize they need another aggressive wing player to take pressure off from Roy and eliminating the defenses options and making them pay on a double team. They messed up on bowie over jordan, now they missed having pippen go along with their jordan.

Edwin
08-10-2009, 10:58 AM
I don't think portland messed up. during that time, anybody who had that first round pick would have gone after oden. He was known as the next tim duncan. who would pass on that??lol. It just happened that this guy is injury prone and doesn't play like a tim duncan.lol. Plus, at the time they needed a center. so you can't blame them for their choice.lol. Blame the media and the scouts for hyping this guy up.lol. But he still has potential. But kevin durant is a monster, oden will never be on his level.

Daze9900
08-10-2009, 12:32 PM
I don't think portland messed up. during that time, anybody who had that first round pick would have gone after oden. He was known as the next tim duncan. who would pass on that??lol. It just happened that this guy is injury prone and doesn't play like a tim duncan.lol. Plus, at the time they needed a center. so you can't blame them for their choice.lol. Blame the media and the scouts for hyping this guy up.lol. But he still has potential. But kevin durant is a monster, oden will never be on his level.

Edwin you make valid points. I think I was on the Oden bandwagon back then too. Durant was dumb skinny and i didnt think his game would translate that well in the nba. That being said, hindsight is always 20/20 vision and the question was did they mess up. The answer is yes. They would be vastly more competitive now if they had selected Durant. The jury is still waiting for Mr. Oden to start playing to potential. He was a men amongst boys in college and I guess he has to figure out how he will play.

sp1derm00
08-10-2009, 12:38 PM
They messed up.

KD is probably going to be one of the elite players in the NBA (Kobe, Lebron, Wade status) in the coming years.

Dude is 6'9 with a 7'4 wingspan. He is going to be one of the premier defenders in the NBA if he sets his mind to it.

NYYCowboys
08-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Oden still may have a few good years if he ever gets healthy, but Durant is one of those once in a generation players, so I think the Blazers made a huge mistake not taking him just as the did when they didn't take Jordan.

JordansBulls
08-10-2009, 03:51 PM
They messed up.

KD is probably going to be one of the elite players in the NBA (Kobe, Lebron, Wade status) in the coming years.

Dude is 6'9 with a 7'4 wingspan. He is going to be one of the premier defenders in the NBA if he sets his mind to it.

:speechless:

Does he have a 7'4" wingspan?

td0tsfinest
08-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Way too early. Very, very few players in the NBA have Oden's combination of length, athleticism, hands, etc. He's had a rough first 2 years in the NBA, but the potential hasn't gone anywhere. He can still be a 20-10 big man.

couldn't have said it any better

sp1derm00
08-10-2009, 06:05 PM

Does he have a 7'4" wingspan?

Actually, no, his wingspan is longer.

His wingspan is closer to 7'5 than 7'4.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/news/story?id=2894925

3rd to last paragraph. "7-4" wingspan.

Ebbs
08-10-2009, 06:24 PM
yeah reall y****ed up and i knew that draft night

Thatruth32
08-10-2009, 06:40 PM
should haven taken KD

Byronicle
08-10-2009, 06:43 PM
the thing is if Portland drafted Kevin Durant, KD would have been the second scoring option behind Brandon Roy, so he wouldnt be as dominating as he is now with Thunder since he is there 1st scoring option.

Just look at when MJ left the Bulls, thats when Pippen rose and became the leader.
Or when Vince and TMac were on the same team, TMac's stats were alright but they didnt escalate until he was with Orlando, being their primary scoring option....

This being said its not a huge mistake because quality big men are hard to come by whereas there is plenty of talent in the SG/SF position. The Blazers already have plenty of offence, they needed someone to bring in the defence so they got Greg Oden.

But like i said kevin durant would have never been the player he is now if he was on the Blazers because he would've been the second option behind Roy.

Mavrix
08-10-2009, 06:55 PM
the thing is if Portland drafted Kevin Durant, KD would have been the second scoring option behind Brandon Roy, so he wouldnt be as dominating as he is now with Thunder since he is there 1st scoring option.

Just look at when MJ left the Bulls, thats when Pippen rose and became the leader.
Or when Vince and TMac were on the same team, TMac's stats were alright but they didnt escalate until he was with Orlando, being their primary scoring option....

This being said its not a huge mistake because quality big men are hard to come by whereas there is plenty of talent in the SG/SF position. The Blazers already have plenty of offence, they needed someone to bring in the defence so they got Greg Oden.

But like i said kevin durant would have never been the player he is now if he was on the Blazers because he would've been the second option behind Roy.
As far as scoring goes, KD is first option, Roy is second

KD is a flat out scorer where as Roy can score, but that's not his main focus

smith&wesson
08-10-2009, 06:56 PM
can you imagine kevin durant and roy on the same team ?? wowsers
thats almost better then kobe and artest. umm actually i think that IS better then kobe and artest. that woulda been crazy ... blazers really messed that pick up .. but who would have known at that time kd had the potential to be a super duper star. .

Byronicle
08-10-2009, 07:00 PM
As far as scoring goes, KD is first option, Roy is second

KD is a flat out scorer where as Roy can score, but that's not his main focus

yea now, but at the time Roy was the scoring leader for Portland, there rookie of the year, you think the coach would have made Kevin Durant the first option based on college? Portland is also their captain and he can play the point, so he has more touches than any other player on his team...

Like the MJ and Pippen, Vince Carter and TMac, Kevin Durant would have never look so dominating with Roy as a team mate because Roy has senority over KD, proven that he can play in the NBA since he was the rookie of the year and therefore would have stayed as the first option

drobe86
08-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Portland is stupid. Bowie over Jordan 2.0

Mavrix
08-10-2009, 07:05 PM
yea now, but at the time Roy was the scoring leader for Portland, there rookie of the year, you think the coach would have made Kevin Durant the first option based on college? Portland is also their captain and he can play the point, so he has more touches than any other player on his team...

Like the MJ and Pippen, Vince Carter and TMac, Kevin Durant would have never look so dominating with Roy as a team mate because Roy has senority over KD, proven that he can play in the NBA since he was the rookie of the year and therefore would have stayed as the first option
Roy only averaged 16 ppg his rookie season and was the second option behind Z-Bo. Durant averaged 20. You can't predict what they coach would have done especially when everybody knows Durant has always been known for his scoring.

As far as scoring goes it's like comparing Joe Johnson to Carmelo Anthony. Who would be the first option in scoring if they were on the same team? Anthony obviously because he's the better scorer and always has been.

Chronz
08-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Roy and Durant wouldve been something special offensively.

badinger7
08-10-2009, 07:39 PM
I really really like Oden as a person and because of that I want to give him another year - he really did show a couple flashes of potential-- having said that though, I can see him being Darko reincarnated.

JordansBulls
08-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Portland is stupid. Bowie over Jordan 2.0

That's only if Durant accomplishes much more. Right now though at least Oden has been in the postseason.

AK23
08-10-2009, 11:17 PM
made a huge error,if they would have taken kd it would make a huge impact on there first round series

what54!?
08-11-2009, 12:18 AM
That's only if Durant accomplishes much more. Right now though at least Oden has been in the postseason.and he made impact whatsoever to get them there

Chronz
08-11-2009, 02:11 AM
That's only if Durant accomplishes much more. Right now though at least Oden has been in the postseason.

Thats not saying much

cmellofan15
08-11-2009, 02:47 AM
It's not as major as Bowie and Jordan but it's still a huge mistake looking at how their careers have gone.

JordansBulls
08-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Thats not saying much

Why not?

Chronz
08-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Why not?
Why should it be? Did you realistically expect the Thunder to make the playoffs? Besides he already lost in the 1st round with HCA, isnt that a cardinal sin by your book?

Rhino
08-11-2009, 05:40 PM
You are comparing 2 totally different players. One is a dominant scorer the other a potential dominant center. Durant cant even compare to Oden defensively, and Oden can't even compare to Durant offensively. I think Portland made the right decision for their "team need." At the time and even still now Portland already has its own superstar with Roy. The better question would be which team has the better opportunity to win a championship first, OKC or Portland and my answer is Portland definitely. So in the end Portland made the right decision as long as Oden stays healthy the sky's the limit for the Blazers.

cr00zi3
08-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Brandon Roy plus Kevin Durant is Orgasmic

Big mistake by portland

mrblisterdundee
08-11-2009, 06:25 PM
It would have been better taking Durant, but I think Oden is going to be a good center. The fact was that Portland needed a center more than a small forward. That's not to say that Brandon Roy and Kevin Durant wouldn't have been the best shooting guard/small forward combo since Jordan and Pippen; they would have.

IBleedPurple
08-11-2009, 06:32 PM

Hell yeah they did. Durant is top 3 player in this league. I think he is going to average 28 a game this year.

Does defense count for anything? Being physical? He may not be top 10 at this point

secterm
08-11-2009, 06:59 PM
I wouldn't call it a HUGE ERROR as they couldn't have neccesarily known at the time, and G.O. was the consensus 1st pick by mostly everyone. But I would say it's be over a well year since we can all say that Durant will be the better NBA'er

secterm
08-11-2009, 07:02 PM

No chance Durant is a top 3 player in the league. If we are going to talk crazy, than I think Marko Jaric is the best point guard in NBA history.

JordansBulls
08-12-2009, 08:44 AM
No chance Durant is a top 3 player in the league. If we are going to talk crazy, than I think Marko Jaric is the best point guard in NBA history.

Durant is maybe a top 15 at this point.

GAWDtv
08-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Way too early as it takes avg. 7 yrs for Bigmen to acclimate to the L.

Icebox922
08-12-2009, 10:52 AM

WOWOWOWOWOW... TOP 3? dangggggg carried away?

Ethix11
08-12-2009, 11:24 AM
I hope Kevin Durant becomes the next Jordan.

cubulls
08-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Portland ****ed up again. The sky's the limit for Durant. Oden can only hope his career is as good as Sam Bowie's.

jimbobjarree
08-12-2009, 11:57 AM
looks like they've picked another dud center ahead of the next wing superstar

still early though, Oden will be a solid player, I doubt he becomes the superstar Durant will be soon enough though

Ansy
08-12-2009, 02:16 PM
I hope Kevin Durant becomes the next Jordan.

Jordan was the best defensive 2 ever and he was also a great distributor. Even if Durant were to become the scorer that Jordan was (which I highly doubt), he can't defend or pass.

Last season Durant was about as good as Kevin Martin, maybe a smidgen better. If he improves his rebounding he has the potential to be Nowitski. The dude ain't likely to be Jordan.

THE MTL
08-12-2009, 02:57 PM
I've always said they messed up. I would have always chose Durant over Oden. And Portland was scrambling for a SF (Turkoglu) this FA year, when they would have been set for years and years to come with Durant.

FlakeyFool
08-12-2009, 04:06 PM
meh

JMKnick33
08-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Last year was his first year.. and first year players aka rookies, have a hard time adjusting. Also, I'm pretty sure he wasn't 100% healthy. Durant may be the better player overall down the road, but centers are rare and hard to come by, and I believe they made the right choice. Would Durant really be this beastlike playing next to Roy? I highly doubt that IMO. I think he'd be more in the high teens in scoring, or in the 20-21ppg range rather than the 26ppg he had last season. But, like I said, it's still too early to tell.

JordansBulls
08-13-2009, 12:43 AM
Way too early as it takes avg. 7 yrs for Bigmen to acclimate to the L.

I'm sorry but dominate big men come in dominating.

Guards and wings take longer to dominate.

King P
08-13-2009, 12:58 AM
Still waaay too early to tell. The Blazers drafted Oden because the needed a Center more than a SF.

And chill with the Kevin Durant being a Top 3 player. Come talk to me when he starts playing DEFENSE.

JordansBulls
08-13-2009, 08:51 AM
Oden can only hope his career is as good as Sam Bowie's.

That's not saying much.

DCSportsIsPain
08-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Portland ****ed up again. The sky's the limit for Durant. Oden can only hope his career is as good as Sam Bowie's.

That a gross exaggeration. Bowie was made of glass. Oden isn't.
Oden will not ever be the scorer Durant will be.
Portland wasn't drafting a scorer.
Portland was drafting a defensive center with the potential to be a walking double-double every night.
After one season, it's a bit asinine to compare Oden with Sam Bowie.

Decent centers are far harder to find than scorers.
Any remotely competent general manager would have done the same thing Portland did.

JordansBulls
08-13-2009, 10:35 AM
That a gross exaggeration. Bowie was made of glass. Oden isn't.
Oden will not ever be the scorer Durant will be.
Portland wasn't drafting a scorer.
Portland was drafting a defensive center with the potential to be a walking double-double every night.
After one season, it's a bit asinine to compare Oden with Sam Bowie.

Decent centers are far harder to find than scorers.
Any remotely competent general manager would have done the same thing Portland did.

And the thing that is similar is that the Blazers already had Drexler at the time they took Bowie and here they had Roy when they took Oden.

Bullsfan22
08-13-2009, 12:02 PM
I still think it's to early to decide if it was a mistake. People speak so highly of Durant but i really want to see him make his teammates better and play better defense. I see people calling him Kobev2 but all he has shown he can do is score. What has he done that Carmelo didn't do his first and second season? Yes, i know he can shoot better but they're both considered flat out scorers to me and that's it. I'll just sit back and wait and see because if oden get over his injury problems and be the enforcer on the both ends while scoring 17-20 ppg that would be more valuable to me, especially when portland have Brandon Roy already.

Raoul Duke
08-13-2009, 12:31 PM
I'd like to give Oden another year to see if he can stay healthy, but so far he looks injury prone. Centers that are legit franchise guys don't take this long to show it, and they need to be durable.

So, yeah they should have taken Durant. Then again, I would have made the same choice, especially after seeing Oden's last college game.

TO Rapz
08-13-2009, 12:32 PM
obviously Durant is a better indivudual player...but portland wasnt looking at individual talent when they drafter Greg Oden. They were looking at the big picture as they already had a scorer (and a good one at that) in Brandon Roy. They want Oden for the D, the hard work, the guy who pulls down boards for them. If Portland wants him to score he would be putting up Chris Bosh numbers but they dont need that productivity from him. The ball wont be in his hands, it will be in Millers and Roys. he is kind of like that complimentary piece to put a team over the board.

Raoul Duke
08-13-2009, 02:35 PM
If Portland wants him to score he would be putting up Chris Bosh numbers

How can he put up Chris Bosh numbers when he's barely on the floor?

Baller1
08-13-2009, 02:43 PM
They messed up. Durant is the future of the NBA. I don't care how healthy Oden becomes, Durant is incredible.

Missing56&33
08-13-2009, 02:50 PM
omg ...can you imagine Durant, Roy, Aldridge, big three...I personally dont think Greg Oden will be a consistent big man.....Bold prediction.....Eddy Curry>Greg Oden..:pity:

Raps08-09 Champ
08-13-2009, 02:51 PM
People already think Durant is a top 15 or 10 player in the league. Big mistake.

JordansBulls
08-13-2009, 03:06 PM
omg ...can you imagine Durant, Roy, Aldridge, big three...I personally dont think Greg Oden will be a consistent big man.....Bold prediction.....Eddy Curry>Greg Oden..:pity:

bigsams50
08-13-2009, 04:01 PM
oden is no curry,

Ansy
08-13-2009, 04:11 PM
And the thing that is similar is that the Blazers already had Drexler at the time they took Bowie and here they had Roy when they took Oden.

A major difference is that 90% of front office personnel and sportswriters believed that Oden would be a better player. Bowie over Jordan was considered a bold pick even at the time. Oden was considered mostly to be a no-brainer.

This is best reflected in the absurd offers for the number 1 pick that Portland got, that OKC never saw. Portland was offered KG + Foye from Minnesota and Amare from the Suns for Oden. OKC never saw those offers, because those GMs felt that Oden was the better prospect.

jrivera
08-13-2009, 04:23 PM
It is too early just incase something fluke happens...But at this rate Portland did make a huge mistake..

NYMetros
08-13-2009, 04:34 PM
Way too early to say if Portland messed up. It takes 3 years after 4 years of college before you get a good idea of how a big man's career will go. Oden went to 1 year of college and has 2 years in the NBA. So he still has 4 years left to get better.

JordansBulls
08-13-2009, 05:50 PM
A major difference is that 90% of front office personnel and sportswriters believed that Oden would be a better player. Bowie over Jordan was considered a bold pick even at the time. Oden was considered mostly to be a no-brainer.

This is best reflected in the absurd offers for the number 1 pick that Portland got, that OKC never saw. Portland was offered KG + Foye from Minnesota and Amare from the Suns for Oden. OKC never saw those offers, because those GMs felt that Oden was the better prospect.

I don't remember Portland being offered those type of packages.

lorenz00
08-13-2009, 06:25 PM
its a mistake not taking KD man look how stud he is Man... they missed out Lol but still portland has a lot of young talent they just need veteran then contender maybe?

lakersrock
08-13-2009, 06:29 PM
I said this BEFORE the draft NUMEROUS times and was MOCKED over and over for saying it. "Oh....you can't take a scorer over a dominant big." Really? That dominant big can't score or stay healthy and Durant is soon to be the best in the NBA at scoring. They would be INSANE in another year or two with Durant.

Blake - Shooter
Roy - Facilitator
Durant - Wing Scorer
Aldridge - Post Scorer
Przybilla - Enforcer

That lineup is crazy....especially considering Durant could hit 30 PPG this year.

disk 8
08-13-2009, 08:49 PM
even if oden was the best he can be he wouldn't be close to how good Durant is

MTar786
08-13-2009, 08:55 PM

lol durant is no where near top 3 player in this league.. lol.. thanks for the laugh man.
durant is becoming the most over rated player on PSD. with that.. he is still a top 20-25 player in the nba maybe. but he's still the better pick if it were between him and oden.. portland would have been SCARY with durant.

MTar786
08-13-2009, 09:01 PM
come to think of it.. KD would be the PERFECT player to play on a warriors, knicks and suns type team.. just a BTW thing

Ansy
08-13-2009, 09:49 PM
I don't remember Portland being offered those type of packages.

It was not made explicit, but Pritchard said things that made it fairly obvious who was being offered. He said that Portland was offered a "Surefire first Ballot hall of famer and a promising young talent" from Minnesota and a "Young all-star" from Pheonix. These are paraphrases because I'm not going to go find the old Oregonian articles with the actual quotes.

KnicksR4Real
08-13-2009, 10:10 PM
Lat\st year was really his rookie year, wait 2-3 years than see!!!

JordansBulls
08-14-2009, 09:37 AM
It was not made explicit, but Pritchard said things that made it fairly obvious who was being offered. He said that Portland was offered a "Surefire first Ballot hall of famer and a promising young talent" from Minnesota and a "Young all-star" from Pheonix. These are paraphrases because I'm not going to go find the old Oregonian articles with the actual quotes.

Interesting

sofargone
12-06-2009, 07:10 PM
imo whether oden is healthy or not doesnt matter. i though KD was better right from the start, but i can see why portland would have gambled and taken Oden.

ChiSox219
12-06-2009, 07:18 PM
They had Brandon Roy, even if they didn't ever GM was prepared to take Oden over Durant. You can't sit there and say you could've predicted Oden's injuries.

Durant's defense has been poor and the Thunder were much better with him on the bench last season. He's a great scorer but he has a lot to work on and isn't as good as a healthy Oden.

Portland made the right pick.

sofargone
12-06-2009, 07:20 PM
They had Brandon Roy, even if they didn't ever GM was prepared to take Oden over Durant. You can't sit there and say you could've predicted Oden's injuries.

Durant's defense has been poor and the Thunder were much better with him on the bench last season. He's a great scorer but he has a lot to work on and isn't as good as a healthy Oden.

Portland made the right pick.

thats true as well. its very tough to compare them since durant has played more than a full season, while oden is often injured.

KB24PG16
12-06-2009, 07:29 PM
they shouldve picked durant but oden did look better coming out of college while durant was just a scorer

tr3ymill3r
12-06-2009, 07:38 PM
At this point it's not to early, if they could have paired Roy and Durant that would have been a nasty team for a long time. Yes they blew it. If you don't learn from your past you are destined to repeat it...cough cough Sam Bowie.

ko8e24
12-06-2009, 07:40 PM
well, after everything that's happened for both guys the last 2 1/2 yrs

the final call.............................................. ..

YES, PORTLAND MESSED UP TAKING ODEN OVER KD

/thread

PS: /thread idea came from "sofargone", thanx yo, thats just the best way to indicate the straight-forward, definitive, ultimate answer and then just end the thread in that fashion. Nice!

Kakaroach
12-06-2009, 07:43 PM
I still don't think so. Oden is just 21 years old, how about we actually evaluate it when KD puts up stats on a winning team and not hollow stats like he has so far his career.

HoopsDrive
12-06-2009, 07:49 PM
No one can really blame the Blazers for picking Oden, practically every team in the league would have done the same if they had the #1 pick.

Still, I voted it as a "mistake" considering how KD has played so far... the Blazers just seem to have a penchant for these kind of events to happen to them, sadly.

philab
12-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Is it still too early or Can it be said that Portland messed up taking Oden over Durant?

I think you have to at least wait until Durant makes the playoffs with OKC.

ko8e24
12-06-2009, 07:55 PM
I still don't think so. Oden is just 21 years old, how about we actually evaluate it when KD puts up stats on a winning team and not hollow stats like he has so far his career.

lol, ur kidding rite? He is a natural born scorer. God made him as a basketball player whose job is to put the ball in the whole. and he gets a lot of rebounds because of his size and long arms. and he works very hard on his game and is just born talented. if he was on the blazers, he'd still average the same numbers, and durant and roy would be one of the best duos in the league (right up there w/ Parker-Duncan, Pau-Kobe, KG-Wheelchair, Billups-Melo)

In fact, Roy would be the younger and more skilled version of Billups and Durant would be a younger and less polished Carmelo Anthony (except Melo is a beast physically and just way too strong for guys to handle)

GeneWaldron#5
12-06-2009, 08:07 PM
No one can really blame the Blazers for picking Oden, practically every team in the league would have done the same if they had the #1 pick.

Still, I voted it as a "mistake" considering how KD has played so far... the Blazers just seem to have a penchant for these kind of events to happen to them, sadly.

Yeah that's more or less how I feel, although I didn't vote mistake because they made the right choice knowing what they knew at the time.

It's easy to sit here with hindsight but Oden was the consensus #1 pick and most, if not all, GM's would have taken Oden over Durant straight up. That is before you factor in that we already had a scoring wing who isn't great defensively. It wasn't a mistake as such by Portland, it's just luck. This sort of thing happens. It's soul destroying for Oden, devastativing for Blazers fans, but unfortunately these things happen. It was the right pick at the time although Durant is going to have the better career now. Whether he would have if Oden stayed healthy we will never know.

We could just have easily picked Durant, and then he has a bad fall, snaps his achilles in practice and never averages 10ppg in his career. All this whilst Oden is averaging 20 15 and 4 with the Thunder. Then everyone is slating the Blazers for passing up a top 10 all-time centre. No one can predict injuries like this. Yes Oden had some injury problems pre-NBA, but nothing to suggest this was going to happen. He never had any particular complaints with his knees (he didn't have the same question marks as say a DeJuan Blair). The guy is just extremely unlucky.

Kakaroach
12-06-2009, 08:08 PM
lol, ur kidding rite? He is a natural born scorer. God made him as a basketball player whose job is to put the ball in the whole. and he gets a lot of rebounds because of his size and long arms. and he works very hard on his game and is just born talented. if he was on the blazers, he'd still average the same numbers, and durant and roy would be one of the best duos in the league (right up there w/ Parker-Duncan, Pau-Kobe, KG-Wheelchair, Billups-Melo)

In fact, Roy would be the younger and more skilled version of Billups and Durant would be a younger and less polished Carmelo Anthony (except Melo is a beast physically and just way too strong for guys to handle) You wanna know what the funny part of your argument is? I never said he couldn't score. :facepalm: I said he's been putting hollow stats so far his career cuz his team hasn't even come close to making the playoffs. Your whole argument is about how good of a scorer he is, when I never even said anything remotely close to that lol. And Roy is not a true PG like Billups.

Durant is a scorer, and I'll be the first one to tell you that.

skratcher
12-06-2009, 08:24 PM

I don't know, last I checked, OKC is 10-9. Still too early, but Durant is clearly in the right direction.

DerekRE_3
12-06-2009, 08:25 PM
It's more bad luck than anything.

SportsLA1985
12-06-2009, 08:29 PM
I said it was a bad pick at the time. You have to be nuts to think Portland doesn't regret not taking Durant. Even with a healthy Oden you cant compare. Durant is a premier player in this league and hes only going to get stronger and better.. No argument..

TO Rapz
12-06-2009, 08:31 PM
The thing is that yes Greg has been ridiculed with injuries, Portland is a better team with Greg then they would be with KD. Greg Oden is a specialist defensively. He can put up 15 and 10 any given night. Portland has enough offense with Roy and co. Greg makes them a solid team. If they had drafted KD, they could have been a Phoenix Suns part 2. Remember Portland is a team that can beat any team on any given night, but the only reason this is possible, is because of their balance on offense and defense. If they re a team that puts up 120 every night but cant play defense, its the other way around, they can be beat by any team on any given night because the team can outshoot them. So NO you cannot say Portland made a mistake on drafting Greg, I think if Greg can average even 15 and 10 they did the right thing.

GeneWaldron#5
12-06-2009, 08:33 PM
I said it was a bad pick at the time. You have to be nuts to think Portland doesn't regret not taking Durant. Even with a healthy Oden you cant compare. Durant is a premier player in this league and hes only going to get stronger and better.. No argument..

You are right that they will regret not taking Durant given what has happened since the draft, but that is different to making a mistake and misjudging the situation at the time. There is no way of knowing, though, how a healthy Oden would have done in the NBA because we never got the chance to see it.

runforrestrunx9
12-06-2009, 08:38 PM
It's more bad luck than anything.

exactly my thinking

smith&wesson
12-06-2009, 08:45 PM
i think when oden went down and missed his whole rookie year portland lossed out, because
#2- mr durantula has been on a tear. plus roy and durant together would have been unbeleivable. gred oden is mr glass. doesnt matter how good you are if you keep getting freak injuries your not worth anything to your team. look at yao and tmac. great players. havent done **** for theyre team.

MakaSizzle
12-06-2009, 08:51 PM
durant + roy= MJ and PIP

MakaSizzle
12-06-2009, 08:51 PM
durant + roy= MJ and PIP

ehhh Maybee not

ChiSox219
12-06-2009, 08:53 PM
durant + roy= MJ and PIP

:facepalm:

valade16
12-06-2009, 08:58 PM
It wasn't a mistake in the sense that at the time it was the "smarter" pick, and his play when healthy has shown he was worth the pick.

It's unfortunate he's had so many injuries.

However, I think everyone on earth can agree that if we went back to that draft knowing what we do now, everyone would have taken durant...

akagiredsuns
12-06-2009, 09:43 PM

you cant possibly be serious after what now will be 2 knee surgeries one on each knee no less, no way in hell hes ever gonna be a 20-10 please. i can see him at best coming off the bench and being a decent 11-12ppg 6-7 reb kinda guy. hes just too injury prone. otherwise grant hill would have been doing 20-8 after all those ankle injuries. EPIC FAIL! :facepalm:

akagiredsuns
12-06-2009, 09:48 PM
oden is at a point where one more knee injury in either leg can end his career. i think all hope for a 20-10 guy is gone. the guy just cant stay healthy. i always questioned why portland passed on durant. look at him now. top 5 in scoring giving kobe, lebron, melo, and d wade a run for MVP. and has the thunder competing. can you imagine how sick it would be to see brandon roy and durant together. probably one of if not the best duos in the NBA. portland blew it. the thunder are reaping the benefits now.

ChiSox219
12-06-2009, 09:49 PM
you cant possibly be serious after what now will be 2 knee surgeries one on each knee no less, no way in hell hes ever gonna be a 20-10 please. i can see him at best coming off the bench and being a decent 11-12ppg 6-7 reb kinda guy. hes just too injury prone. otherwise grant hill would have been doing 20-8 after all those ankle injuries. EPIC FAIL! :facepalm:

Grant Hill first got hurt when he was 28, Oden is only 21.

There's no way to know now if Oden will reach his potential, wait until he comes back.

akagiredsuns
12-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Grant Hill first got hurt when he was 28, Oden is only 21.

There's no way to know now if Oden will reach his potential, wait until he comes back.

Yea in Nov. 2010 when he will be 22 going on 23. And FYI Grant Hill was 28 but that's not exactly extremely old. He was in the prime of his career. Just cus Oden is 21 doesn't mean anything. A knee surgery is very hard to recover from AT ANY AGE cus the human body is different for each of us. The guy is big and ask any center in the NBA what knee surgery will do to you let alone 2. You can't possibly compare Grant Hill cus he's 6'8" 225 and was already established. Oden near 7'0" close to 300 lbs. The guy is just cursed with bad luck. The doctors messed up time and time again on Hill's ankle by putting too many screws, otherwise he could have come back sooner and still had a great career. In the end, Portland messed up. Durant was overlooked. Simple as that. And like Oden, is only 21 years old, but unlike Oden, he is thriving and the guy is dropping nearly 28ppg and still hasn't reached maximum potential. Don't compare apples with oranges cus it's a no-brainer. Portland messed up.

P.S. Look at the voting. Nearly 2 out of every 3 people on this thread agree. That says it all. :nod:

AntwanN21
12-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Roy,durant,aldrige.......... Enough said

bagwell368
12-06-2009, 10:12 PM
If I had Durant I'd trade him for some players with heart. If I had Oden, I'd put the Sam Bowie tag on him, and count on nothing from him.

jetsfan28
12-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Hindsight is 20-20. No one knows if Oden would have had the same injury troubles (post-microfracture) if things had happened differently. It's too LATE to say that if anything IMO because unforeseeable things in Oden's career cloud judgement.

ChiSox219
12-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Yea in Nov. 2010 when he will be 22 going on 23. And FYI Grant Hill was 28 but that's not exactly extremely old. He was in the prime of his career. Just cus Oden is 21 doesn't mean anything. A knee surgery is very hard to recover from AT ANY AGE cus the human body is different for each of us. The guy is big and ask any center in the NBA what knee surgery will do to you let alone 2. You can't possibly compare Grant Hill cus he's 6'8" 225 and was already established. Oden near 7'0" close to 300 lbs. The guy is just cursed with bad luck. The doctors messed up time and time again on Hill's ankle by putting too many screws, otherwise he could have come back sooner and still had a great career. In the end, Portland messed up. Durant was overlooked. Simple as that. And like Oden, is only 21 years old, but unlike Oden, he is thriving and the guy is dropping nearly 28ppg and still hasn't reached maximum potential. Don't compare apples with oranges cus it's a no-brainer. Portland messed up.

P.S. Look at the voting. Nearly 2 out of every 3 people on this thread agree. That says it all. :nod:

Nah

AntwanN21
12-06-2009, 10:30 PM
off topic but i need some advice for a trade on my fantasy team...

im trading ben gordon,derrick rose and adre igoudala

for

Jason Kidd,Stephen Jackosn, and Gerald Wallace

I think its a good trade any opinions?

mser58
12-06-2009, 10:30 PM
In ten years itll be Jennings vs Durant not Kobe vs Lebron.

A mistake was made, Oden could turn out to be an effective big man but Durant is going to be a star

JordansBulls
12-06-2009, 10:48 PM

A mistake was made, Oden could turn out to be an effective big man but Durant is going to be a star

You mean Rose vs Durant.:)

FlakeyFool
12-06-2009, 10:56 PM

:facepalm:

Yes, they made a mistake.

_KB24_
12-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Portland MADE A HUGE MISTAKE! Imagine if Durant fully lives up to his potential and can possible a Top 3-5 SF of ALL Time.........

Portland will forever be known as the team that passed up on Jordan AND Durant for underachieving big man........I now see Oden having no much of a bigger career than Zo's....

b_rad23
12-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Portland MADE A HUGE MISTAKE! Imagine if Durant fully lives up to his potential and can possible a Top 3-5 SF of ALL Time.........

Portland will forever be known as the team that passed up on Jordan AND Durant for underachieving big man........I now see Oden having no much of a bigger career than Zo's....

Is that a joke?

Zo is so, so much better than Oden man.

Zo averaged 21+ 10+ and 3.5 blocks AS A ROOKIE.

And you're comparing Oden, a 12-8 guy who's already had 2 season ending injuries to a guy who averaged almost 20-10-3 for his entire career, was one of the best defensive bigs ever, and has a championship?

I don't think you really thought that one out/.

Turtle55
12-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Can't believe the too early to tell got 77 votes. This would have to be huge mistake. Durant is a top 3 small forward in the NBA and one of the best scorers at any position. Oden is a mediocre center. It's not even close.

Turtle55
12-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Is that a joke?

And you're comparing Oden, a 12-8 guy who's already had 2 season ending injuries to a guy who averaged almost 20-10-3 for his entire career, was one of the best defensive bigs ever, and has a championship?

Yeah Zo was a terrible comparison to make there. Yearly all star until the kidney problems. Maybe Big Z or Camby would be a better comparison.

$ NyC $
12-07-2009, 11:50 AM
I honestly think its too early. This year he started coming into his own and he doesn't get much playing time (24 mpg). 11 ppg 8.5 rpg and 2.3 bpg in 24 minutes isn't bad at all! Yea Durant is an offensive beast but they got Aldridge and Roy 4 the O. Adjusted p/36 minutes Oden averages 17 ppg 13 rpg 1.5 aspg and 3.4 bpg. Those are great #'s right there. He just needs to get healthy and stop fouling. The poor dude is just unlucky.

Storch
12-07-2009, 12:47 PM
bust!

Hellcrooner
12-07-2009, 12:55 PM
now its pristine.

xanderyear
12-07-2009, 01:02 PM
I can't bring myself to say Oden is a bust. He as a bit of a project, then had to miss his entire rookie season. The Blazers needed a dominant defensive big man, and thats what they got frm Oden. It's unfortunate he's been injured so much, but he works hard. Look at last season compared to the way he looked this season. He had confidence coming. He'll always be called a bust because people will continue to compare KD to Oden, but they were drafted for different reasons, for different franchises in different positions in growth.

magichatnumber9
12-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Kevin Durant has to be one of the most gifted offensive players I have ever been blessed to watch. Defensively he is absolutely useless. If he gets his defensive game on point he will mentioned with the likes of Wade, Kobe, and Lebron.

Raoul Duke
12-07-2009, 02:15 PM
The poor dude is just unlucky.

No, Andrew Bynum is unlucky. Hurting your knee twice because a teammate falls on it is unlucky. Greg Oden is just injury prone.

Yeah, the Blazers F'd up. The only legitimate complaint with Durant is that his defense needs work, and I have no doubt that it would have been much better if he were playing with guys like Brandon Roy and Steve Blake who can actually set a good example for him defensively.

GeneWaldron#5
12-07-2009, 02:31 PM
^^ Yeah, unfortunately he is looking injury prone, but he is still unlucky to be hit with these injuries all the same. It's not as if it's through a lack of work on his part or anything he is doing wrong. It's just bad luck that he has turned out this way.

Also, if I was Durant I wouldn't be taking any advice from either Roy or Blake about how to play defence. That was all part of the reason we didn't take him, neither Roy nor Aldridge are much better than average on the defensive end, and Blake, although I don't have the same dislike for him as some Blazer fans, is a below average defender. He would be better off looking within his own team at Sefolosha for a good example.

SteveNash
12-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Portland didn't mess up and it should never be considered that Portland messed up.

JordansBulls
12-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Is that a joke?

I forgot how good Zo was coming in as a rookie.

alchemist0123
12-07-2009, 10:32 PM

Portland has to go for their need of a legit big and they already have roy, but kd and b-roy combo sounds very intriguing per say.

ChiSox219
12-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Can't believe the too early to tell got 77 votes. This would have to be huge mistake. Durant is a top 3 small forward in the NBA and one of the best scorers at any position. Oden is a mediocre center. It's not even close.

Oden showed himself to be one of the best true centers in the league when he was on the court. He still needs work, particularly keeping out of foul trouble but his defense is stellar and his offensive game was surprisingly strong this season. Overall he is a better player than Durant, that is when Oden can stay on the court.

Portland didn't mess up and it should never be considered that Portland messed up.

True.

King P
12-08-2009, 12:42 AM
Anybody picking Kevin Durant is obviously offensive-oriented.

Turtle55
12-08-2009, 09:03 AM
Oden showed himself to be one of the best true centers in the league when he was on the court. He still needs work, particularly keeping out of foul trouble but his defense is stellar and his offensive game was surprisingly strong this season. Overall he is a better player than Durant, that is when Oden can stay on the court.

True.

First of all I could not possibly disagree more. Durant is an absolute stud and Oden has shown nothing that even resembles durability. You're talking about a 25+ ppg scorer who will do that for his entire career vs a center who has shown no ability to stay on the floor. Even when healthy he can't stay out of foul trouble. He's a borderline double double guy that doesn't even stay on the court long enough to equal the numbers of Noah and Horford and that's when he's healthy. The debate should be between Oden and the other bigs from that draft, Horford, Noah, etc... not Durant. It should be clear to everyone that Durant was easily the best player from that draft.

todu82
12-08-2009, 09:33 AM
Portland made a huge error in picking Oden.

KnicksorBust
12-08-2009, 09:45 AM
I honestly think its too early. This year he started coming into his own and he doesn't get much playing time (24 mpg). 11 ppg 8.5 rpg and 2.3 bpg in 24 minutes isn't bad at all! Yea Durant is an offensive beast but they got Aldridge and Roy 4 the O. Adjusted p/36 minutes Oden averages 17 ppg 13 rpg 1.5 aspg and 3.4 bpg. Those are great #'s right there. He just needs to get healthy and stop fouling. The poor dude is just unlucky.

Very similar production to young Dwight Howard only Oden's issues with limitted minutes is because he'd foul out every game so that's his own fault. I wish I could comment more on his offensive skills because I haven't seen much of him in live action. However if you look at the breakdown of the Blazers this is how I see it:

Superstar SG + All-Star PF + Defensive monster C = Ring
Superstar SG + Offensive monster SF + All-Star PF = 1st/2nd round exit

I hate saying "this player is a bust" or that he's worse because of injuries. If Greg Oden could stay on the court for 2 seasons in a row he could be Bill Russell light and that'd be just what the Blazers need.

JordansBulls
02-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Portland made a huge error in picking Oden.

I think we can officially say this is true.