PDA

View Full Version : What Has Your GM Done For You Lately?

OldSchoolViking
08-09-2009, 12:58 AM
What has your GM done for you lately Sports Fan? Please submit your team name and GM's name for any sport. The idea is to get fans thinking about positives your front office has made for your team.

Minnesota Timberwolves GM-David Kahn

1) Recognizes what the role of a GM is
David Kahn recognized that a GM's Job is to bring home the bacon, a World Championship. He did not bring back Kevin McHale, he traded players, he added players, he took risks in the draft and he did it with a focus on building a championship team without regard for personal loyalties and at the expense of taking on heat.

2) Rid the Organization of Bad Karma
No matter what Foye did in Minnesota, he would always be remembered as the guy McHale traded Roy for and i believe, Foye will thrive in his new home under Saunders. Miller did not want to be here. The trade got us the #5 Pick, Etan Thomas, Songaila and Pecherov.

3) Drafted For Long Term Success
He drafted Ellington, Rubio, and Flynn in the first round. Regardless of the critics of him selecting Rubio and Flynn, Flynn will prove to be a baller; Rubio is as good as a prize asset as any other rookie player in the NBA (bball potential, and marketing bonanza) or he becomes the second coming of Stockton; and Ellington could be the late round steal of the draft.

4) He Gave Timberwolves Fans Hope
When Kahn did not renew McHale's contract; when he traded two starters; when he drafted like a guy with b***s and a plan; when he started moving players like U-Haul; when he looked beyond a guy he was very familiar with as a potential head coach, it signaled to us Minnesota fans that things were going to be different.

What my GM did for me is give this $5-seat Timberwolves fan the one thing a GM should give his fans every new season and that is... Hope!

MajorFloridaFan
08-09-2009, 01:01 AM
Otis smith-Orlando Magic
1.Signed core players to long contracts
2.Hire SVG
3.Change attitude in O-Town from losers to champions
4.Trade for players to keep good assets around howard
5.KEEP HOWARD HAPPY so he doesnt constantly overshadow the organization

Raps18-19 Champ
08-09-2009, 01:06 AM
Brian Colangelo's offseason for the Raptors.

1. Pretty much saves our whole offseason by pulling of that 4 team S & T complicated deal.
2. Drafted a raw but very talented player in Demar Derozan.
3. Signed Chris Bosh's best friend Jarrett Jack.
4. Signed Andrea Bargnani to a contract extension.
5. Traded for role players we can use like Evans, Belinelli and Wright.
6. Signed Jay Triano as coach.

That is everything he has done in the offseason.

Vinny642
08-09-2009, 01:07 AM
New Orleans Hornets-
Trade Chandler for Okafor
Draft bench players
Sign Ike Diogu

Atlanta Braves-
Get LaRoche for Kotchman.

Seattle Seahawks- Sign our draft pick.
Had one of the best offseasons.

29$JerZ
08-09-2009, 01:09 AM
New York Knicks
Donnie Walsh

Drafted Jordan Hill, bought 29th pick and drafted Tony Douglass
Traded Quentin Richardson for Darko Millicic which gives us an athletic shot blocker and opens more minutes for Wilson Chandler and Danilo Gallinari

Trying to obtain Sessions

Hasn't gave into Nate Robinson/David Lee's contract demands,let the market speak for it self and are inm a better position to sign/trade them compared to the beginning.

Solid offseason, fantastic moves all of last season as well :cool:

Draco
08-09-2009, 01:17 AM
Chicago Bulls GM duo - Paxson and Forman.

This offseason was all about maintaining cap flexability for the future. Rather than facing re-signing Sefolosha or letting his cheap contract expire the Bulls were able to trade it for a draft pick (another cheap contract).

There might have been discussion over whether to trade Kirk and sign Gordon.. but whatever the reasons behind who would stay and who would go the result was trimming salary somewhere. That should help give the Bulls some breathing room for 2010, 2011, 2012...

MajorFloridaFan
08-09-2009, 01:19 AM
I dont like that you guys let Ben gordon go....

IAMLordRaider
08-09-2009, 01:20 AM
Won a World Championship, GO LAKERS!!!!!

Draco
08-09-2009, 01:20 AM
I dont like that you guys let Ben gordon go....

Based on what?

In Gordon's words

"I mean they didn't pursue me at all. They didn't even make an offer so it was pretty much a one-man race," Gordon told ESPN Radio 1000 in Chicago.
http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/article/2009-07-02/gordon-bulls-never-made-offer

In Reinsdorf's words

What did you think of how the Ben Gordon situation turned out?

Actually, we made a decision a year ago not to commit long term to Ben. We tried. And he turned it down. But then near the end, John and Gar decided it probably wasn't a good idea to make a long-term decision and to see what other options might develop over the season. So we withdrew the offer we had on the table. Ben ultimately came in and said he would take it. But it was too late. Now, fast-forward to the end of the year. We have [John] Salmons and a hell of a three-guard rotation with Salmons, [ Kirk] Hinrich and Derrick [Rose]. Ben wasn't going to get a whole lot of playing time. His time was going to be diminished. And now we've added [Jannero] Pargo for the limited time the fourth guard will get. Ben just no longer fit. He's a terrific player. But he needs minutes. And he wouldn't have been happy with the minutes he was going to get here.

What about the critique you lost an asset for nothing?

You can't just simply look at a player by himself. You have to look at what his departure enables you to do in other ways. So you say cap flexibility, who's going to take his place. You have to have cap flexibility in this league. It's not like baseball where if you have the money, you can do whatever you want. The cap really constrains you so you're constantly looking two or three years out.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/chi-21-bulls-reinsdorf-chicago-jul21,0,6515897.story

Toenail Clipper
08-09-2009, 01:22 AM
1. Traded Zbo to makes cap space and space for Griffin
2. Got Telfair
3. 2010 Free Agency contender
:P

The only thing he needs now is fire himself as a coach

MajorFloridaFan
08-09-2009, 01:26 AM
Based on what?

In Gordon's words

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/article/2009-07-02/gordon-bulls-never-made-offer

In Reinsdorf's words

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/chi-21-bulls-reinsdorf-chicago-jul21,0,6515897.story

I understand..and the cap flexibilty will be a good thing...all im saying is you cant exactly say how it will work out yet, which leaves a big question mark

krest213
08-09-2009, 01:35 AM
san antonio spurs.

make us see the light through the tunel again. now its time to reach for the gold

miami heat

gives us hope for 2010

Raoul Duke
08-09-2009, 01:40 AM
Detroit Pistons, Joe Dumars...

...fired Michael Curry.

olrales
08-09-2009, 02:11 AM
Kevin Pritchard-Portland Trailblazers

Yes he had problems in free agents signing, with Turkoglu and Millsap, but we now have the best slashing pg and one of the best passer too in Andre Miller, who also bring veteran experience that this young nucleus was desperatly needing. (But, in fact, I think that the fail with Millsap was a pretty good thing, I was really not a fan of what Millsap would have been bringing to the team)

He resign Brandon Roy to 5 years!!!

He's about to resign Aldridge for long term too!

He drafted lots of young talent that can come from the bench...with maybe the late second round steal in Paty Mills!

He didn't resign Reaf Lafrentz;)

And maybe he did other stuff that I can't remember at 2 o'clock in the middle of the night!! lol!

And remember, if Portland had played against the lakers in the playoffs last summer, Lakers would not be champions right now...cauz Blazers would have burned em! It's Blazers year baby!!!

DetroitRipCity
08-09-2009, 08:28 AM
Joe D (Detroit Pistons)
Fired Michael Curry
Let Rasheed and AI walk
Had a Solid Draft
Signed Ben Gordon
Signed Charlie Vilanueva
Signed Chris Wilcox
Signed Ben Wallace

To Draco
So Reinsdorf says that letting Gordon go means Cap flexability yet he has not done anything in free agency or by trade... wth is he waiting for?

mikantsass
08-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Danny Ainge...

-Took over a pathetic team
-Made good draft picks, or "chips" as he likes to call them
-Extended Pierce's contract
-Traded 2 "chips" for Ray Ray
-Traded the rest of his "Chips" (minus Rondo) for KG
-Signed Posey and Eddie, then won a championship
-2009 he signed Sheed, Big Baby, Daniels to sure up the bench

Championship 2010 is coming....

GAWDtv
08-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Brian Colangelo's offseason for the Raptors.

1. Pretty much saves our whole offseason by pulling of that 4 team S & T complicated deal.
2. Drafted a raw but very talented player in Demar Derozan.
3. Signed Chris Bosh's best friend Jarrett Jack.
4. Signed Andrea Bargnani to a contract extension.
5. Traded for role players we can use like Evans, Belinelli and Wright.
6. Signed Jay Triano as coach.

That is everything he has done in the offseason.

And what a s#!tt% off season. We needed a starting PG we went and got a back-up for our back-up who's actually better than our starting back-up. We needed to improve at the 2, instead we dumped AP and got NO ONE. Who, Wright? Belinelli?? Hedo's @ the 3 so???

Extended Bargs too soon. He could have waited and make him try to earn it MORE.

Jay Triano SUX. I would rather he sign Bill Dumars, he has lead lil girls to a ring b4, why not for us?!?

DetroitRipCity
08-09-2009, 10:43 AM
We needed to improve at the 2, instead we dumped AP and got NO ONE. Who, Wright? Belinelli?? Hedo's @ the 3 so???

Jay Triano SUX. I would rather he sign Bill Dumars, he has lead lil girls to a ring b4, why not for us?!?

First you drafted Demar Derozen whos gonna be a beast soon

Second you can't talk anymore for saying you should have signed 'Bill Dumars'
uhhh its Bill Laimbeer and Joe Dumars

KnicksR4Real
08-09-2009, 10:57 AM
New York Knicks
Donnie Walsh

Drafted Jordan Hill, bought 29th pick and drafted Tony Douglass
Traded Quentin Richardson for Darko Millicic which gives us an athletic shot blocker and opens more minutes for Wilson Chandler and Danilo Gallinari

Trying to obtain Sessions

Hasn't gave into Nate Robinson/David Lee's contract demands,let the market speak for it self and are inm a better position to sign/trade them compared to the beginning.

Solid offseason, fantastic moves all of last season as well :cool:

Dat be true

Raidaz4Life
08-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Mitch Kupchak.... nuff' said

Raps18-19 Champ
08-09-2009, 11:07 AM
And what a s#!tt% off season. We needed a starting PG we went and got a back-up for our back-up who's actually better than our starting back-up. We needed to improve at the 2, instead we dumped AP and got NO ONE. Who, Wright? Belinelli?? Hedo's @ the 3 so???

Extended Bargs too soon. He could have waited and make him try to earn it MORE.

I never said all the things he did were good. I just listed all of the stuff he did.

We probably still have 1 of the best PG combination so why complain?
We replaced AP with Wright and Belinelli which is probably fair or better.
Hedo was one of the better free agents in the NBA and we got him.
Bargnani's contract starts next year. He can try to prove himself this year.
Jay Triano was invited by Team USA and asked to be assistant coach as a Canadian coach. Half the coaches in the NBA don't get invited.

DetroitRipCity
08-09-2009, 11:09 AM
I never said all the things he did were good. I just listed all of the stuff he did.

Jay Triano was invited by Team USA and asked to be assistant coach as a Caadian coach. Half the coaches in the NBA don't get invited.

missed the other 'N' :p

Draco
08-09-2009, 11:11 AM

Jay Triano was invited by Team USA and asked to be assistant coach as a Caadian coach. Half the coaches in the NBA don't get invited.

I have nothing against Triano. Just pointing out half the coaches in the NBA probably don't have international experience.

“Jay Triano, a former coach of the Canadian national team and currently an assistant coach with the Toronto Raptors, will be assisting. Jay is very familiar with the international game and its nuances and we’re pleased to have P.J. and Jay as our staff,” added Colangelo.

BTownTeamsRKing
08-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Sheed, Big Baby, and Daniels off the bench. do i have to say more? still i wish leon was on the team

DetroitRipCity
08-09-2009, 11:16 AM
Sheed, Big Baby, and Daniels off the bench. do i have to say more? still i wish leon was on the team

Big Baby wont do anything this year except maybe cry more :cry: (unless some1 gets hurt)

And hopefully Sheed plays with passion for you

I like the Daniels signing tho

Raps18-19 Champ
08-09-2009, 11:18 AM
missed the other 'N' :p

Ya my keyboard is kind of a mess.

DetroitRipCity
08-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Ya my keyboard is kind of a mess.

i know how that is lol

Raps18-19 Champ
08-09-2009, 11:21 AM
I have nothing against Triano. Just pointing out half the coaches in the NBA probably don't have international experience.

True but it would still be impressive if they asked you just to be a part of it.

DCSportsIsPain
08-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Washington Wizards. Ernie Grunfeld.

1) Did NOT draft Ricky Rubio.
2) Acquired Mike Miller & Randy Foye for the 5th draft selection.
3) Acquired Flip Saunders as the head coach.
4) Traded Etan Thomas, Darius Songaila and Oleksiy Pecherov, three roster spaces being unused, underused or misused last season.
5) Let enough cap room to comfortably sign or re-sign solid talent next season, even after having exceeded the cap this season.

RLundi
08-09-2009, 04:46 PM
Big Baby wont do anything this year except maybe cry more :cry: (unless some1 gets hurt)

lmbo!!

arkanian215
08-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Kiki
1. Forced by management to give up VC and rebuild. He got some nice pieces in battie, alston, and lee. I don't know why he had to give up anderson.
2. Drafted a versatile point forward who plays defense. Good all around game.
3. Signed no one except picked up Jarvis Hayes. Once again, managements fault, not his. Boozer was willing to come to Jersey if they offered money. I'm glad we didn't get him. I hate Boozer.
4. Got a personal trainer for Yi who has gained 15-18 lbs of muscle over the summer. Hoping for a breakout season for Yi and the Nets.
5. Solid character guys surrounding a rebuilding team. The main personality problems might actually be Harris and Alston and maybe swat..

LA_Raiders
08-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Nothing much...

Keep Phil from retiring
Got Artest great Deal IMO
Got Odom great Deal IMO

Enought to Repeat....LA CHAMPS!!!

LA_Raiders
08-09-2009, 05:21 PM
Danny Ainge...

-Took over a pathetic team
-Made good draft picks, or "chips" as he likes to call them
-Extended Pierce's contract
-Traded 2 "chips" for Ray Ray
-Traded the rest of his "Chips" (minus Rondo) for KG
-Signed Posey and Eddie, then won a championship
-2009 he signed Sheed, Big Baby, Daniels to sure up the bench

Championship 2010 is coming....

lol you guys are so old...If you make it to the ECF you will have 4 players on the IL...

zambo4president
08-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Drafted Derrick Rose,James Johnson and Taj Gibson.
Traded for John Salmons and Brad Miller
Signed Jannero Pargo
Let Ben Gordon walk
Bought out Tim Thomas
Has been involved in every trade rumor but has gotten nothing done.

jimbobjarree
08-09-2009, 05:29 PM
ours...drafted then did absolutely **** all

pretty much what he's done for 3 or 4 years now

Draco
08-09-2009, 05:32 PM
ours...drafted then did absolutely **** all

pretty much what he's done for 3 or 4 years now

That's what I've been talking about... Your GM should trade the Knicks pick to the Bulls. It gets your GM a trade under his belt and you'll have one less boring draft pick to complain about. :D

blazerman
08-09-2009, 06:34 PM
That's what I've been talking about... Your GM should trade the Knicks pick to the Bulls. It gets your GM a trade under his belt and you'll have one less boring draft pick to complain about. :D

What a yr to have the Knicks pick in next yrs draft, Utah will get a nice player with that pick if they keep it. Knicks will be hatin life if that pick becomes a #1 or a #2.

OKC will have that same kinda feeling with their pick and Phoenix's.

OldSchoolViking
08-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Nothing much...

Keep Phil from retiring
Got Artest great Deal IMO
Got Odom great Deal IMO

Enought to Repeat....LA CHAMPS!!!

Thanks for keeping Phil in LA! Because we get Rambis which probably is the right coach for T-Pups...can't wait to see Rambis and McHale meet for the first time at Target Center! lol

ttam68
08-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Sixers: Ed Stefanski

December 29, 2007
Traded Kyle Korver and a future 1st round draft pick to the Utah Jazz for Gordan Giricek.
February 29, 2008
Waived Gordan Giricek.
June 26, 2008
Drafted Marreese Speights in the 1st round (16th pick) of the 2008 NBA Draft.
July 9, 2008
Traded Calvin Booth, Rodney Carney, cash and a future 1st round draft pick to the Minnesota Timberwolves for a future 2nd round draft pick.
Signed Elton Brand as a free agent.
July 28, 2008
Signed Royal Ivey as a free agent.
July 29, 2008
Signed Kareem Rush as a free agent.
August 14, 2008
Louis Amundson signed as a free agent with the Phoenix Suns.
August 20, 2008
Signed Theo Ratliff as a free agent.
September 2, 2008
Signed Donyell Marshall as a free agent.
September 25, 2008
Shavlik Randolph signed as a free agent with the Portland Trail Blazers.
October 1, 2008
Kevin Ollie signed as a free agent with the Minnesota Timberwolves.
June 9, 2009
Traded Reggie Evans to the Toronto Raptors for Jason Kapono.
June 15, 2009
Released Royal Ivey.
June 25, 2009
Drafted Jrue Holiday in the 1st round (17th pick) of the 2009 NBA Draft.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHI/2008_transactions.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/PHI/2009_transactions.html

Good:
Cleared cap room to sign a max free agent.
Picked up Elton Brand to give us a legitimate post presense and star player.
Made good draft picks.

Bad:
Overpaid for both Brand and Iggy.
Failed to develop a team with chemistry.
Coaching mishaps.
Poor cap situation.
No clear plan.
Poor attendance/excitement/success/finances.

RaiderLakersA's
08-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Mitch took Kobe's rants squarely on the chin...and shut him up by giving him exactly the pieces that we needed to win a title. Everyone says that Pau was a gift, and I'll give you that. But before Gasol arrived we were already in the hunt and at the top of the division, with guys named Ariza and Bynum (pre-injury for both) getting it done. Credit Mitch for that.

This year we lost Ariza (a personal favorite), but brought in a stronger defender in Artest. We also brought back Brown and Odom. Many on this board and others (including some non-Laker fans) have said that makes us the team to beat next year. Credit Mitch.

The best part? I don't think we're done. The Lakers management has shown the creativity and flexibility in the past to add key contributers during the season, if the current roster isn't up to muster. I have the confidence that Mitch will continue to make the necessary moves to improve this team. Wait for it....

badinger7
08-10-2009, 01:31 PM

And hopefully Sheed plays with passion for you

I like the Daniels signing tho

Haha yea except for the last year or two Sheed thinks that playing with passion means shying away from the post and hurling 3's @ the backboard. And then with the new rule change passion from him is getting himself suspended for techs lol.

GAWDtv
08-11-2009, 02:40 AM
Washington Wizards. Ernie Grunfeld.

1) Did NOT draft Ricky Rubio.
2) Acquired Mike Miller & Randy Foye for the 5th draft selection.
3) Acquired Flip Saunders as the head coach.
4) Traded Etan Thomas, Darius Songaila and Oleksiy Pecherov, three roster spaces being unused, underused or misused last season.
5) Let enough cap room to comfortably sign or re-sign solid talent next season, even after having exceeded the cap this season.

I agree Washington made some nice moves to dump those contracts for valuable players. If they get Arenas back and their top 3 flowing again look out East.