PDA

View Full Version : Should the Coaches and Players pick the Allstar teams

blazerman
08-08-2009, 10:22 PM
I know the Allstar game is for the fans more so than anything, but every yr some injured player or some has been that has no business being on the team makes it based on reputation (how many times has an injuried TMac been named or Grant Hill).

To give all players an equal chance I think the coaches should pick the starting 5 and the players pick the rest. Fans still can vote the rookie/sophmore, dunk and 3 pt contest players in or something.

Players like D Will and Al Jefferson have been passed over the last couple of yrs when they carried some very nice stats even better than some players that made it . I know there is very tight competition for the 12 spots on each team but if the players and coaches had complete control of the picking that would eliminate most of the BS and who better than your peers to acknowledge you. The games might take on a little more meaning for the players when you know your playing in it because the competition has voted you in.

Also I think that the NBA should allow the winning conference the homecourt advantage in the finals just like in Baseball. I bet the ratings skyrocket and the players play hard (their respective teams may get a little concerned but it's a big accomplishment to be an allstar).

Your thoughts and ideas

To clarify a bit, Every active player on a 12 man roster should get to vote for 1 backup at each position and 2 floaters in their own conference (coaches pick the starters). I know the coaches vote the reserves now but they should vote in the starters and let the players vote in the reserves in their own conference.

madiaz3
08-08-2009, 10:29 PM
How many people from a team vote? Which people on the team vote? Does Brian Scalabrine have as much of a vote as Kevin Garnett? Can players only vote for players not on their own team?

There's way too many questions and complications to make player voting feasible, unless you outright made rules to exclude the clear majority and classify who has the judgement to properly vote.

Storch
08-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Why not just make it like the presidential nomination process? electoral votes anyone? lol. :rolleyes:

Raps18-19 Champ
08-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Only fans choose starters anyways.

And it is usually right every year.

DetroitRipCity
08-08-2009, 10:51 PM
yes coaches and writers should pick starters too fans are too biased and you get players in the bigger market less deserving then players in a smaller market id give u the example but i dont want to try and figure the year out, it involved Shaq and Al Jefferson. Shaq only played like 10 or 15 games before the allstar break and still got voted as a starter. Al Jefferson was beasting and didnt even make it in the all-star game.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-08-2009, 11:08 PM
^Ya.

You also had Allen Iverson over Joe Johnson last year.

Hellcrooner
08-08-2009, 11:28 PM
I say Yes.

Fans choose the Captain by voting and Wich coach they want.

The captain chooses another player not on his team

The coach chooses another player not on his team.

The other 10 spots are voted :

5 by players on the conference that cant vote their own team.

5 by coaches that cant vot their players.

J_M_B
08-08-2009, 11:34 PM
I believe the fans should continue to vote. The only mistake I believe the fans made last year was starting Allen Iverson over Joe Johnson. Al Jefferson and Deron Williams have been snubbed a couple of time as well, but the coaches and players vote for the reserves, not the fans.

Raps18-19 Champ
I say Yes.

Coaches can't work.

Jackson will always be West coach and probably Stan Van Gundy will be East coach.

It is better for them to choose coaches than let fans vote.

shep33
I would let coaches and GM's do it. I mean how many times did A.I. and Vince start when they really didn't deserve it? I'll only maybe be 2 spots on both sides, but with those 2 spots, you could have 2 new allstars that the coaches get to pick. That being said... the allstar game sucks hah. They gotta change it, maybe like USA vs the World. I think the Euros would make it more competitive... Yao, Dirk, Pau, Manu, Tony Parker vs. Wade, Kobe, LBJ, KG, and D12. That'd be fun i think.

samus
08-08-2009, 11:51 PM
yao ming is the prime example

blazerman
08-09-2009, 12:04 AM
I say Yes.

Sounds kinda interesting except it would be hard to sell not be allowed to pick a player on your own team if it's a guy like Kobe, Wade,Lebron or Dirk. Being able to pick a player on your team would still work because there are 15 teams in each conference and no player should be allowed to vote more than 1 or 2 players from their own team.

I do like the 5 players by the players and 5 by the coaches thing though.

blazerman
08-09-2009, 12:07 AM
yao ming is the prime example

Ya we all know he isnt even gonna suit up this yr and he'll still get 10,000,000 votes and most likely be voted a starter. Happens every yr.

If he's playing it's a no brainer.

blastmasta26
08-09-2009, 01:08 AM
The fact that AI made it last year means that fans shouldn't be doing the voting.

MajorFloridaFan
08-09-2009, 01:10 AM
Only fans choose starters anyways.

And it is usually right every year.

I like it this way

29$JerZ
08-09-2009, 01:11 AM
No

It's for the fans

Plenty of players are snubbed regardless. I suggest changing the ALL-Star Ballot.

Toenail Clipper
08-09-2009, 01:13 AM
i believe so, i mean if they voted fairly.
Then, LeBron wouldnt be in the All-Star team as much

Grizz/Cowboys09
08-09-2009, 12:03 PM
I supposed no matter what formula is used to pick the All Star team, some deserving player will get snubbed because there just aren't enough spots on the team for all the great players. Every year someone is on the All Star team that shouldn't be and it makes me think it's unfair for small market teams. The fact that Yau Ming is breaking records in fan votes cause he has all of China voting for him is ridiculous. He isn't all that and never was, esp. when he was a rookie. His automatic spot on the team reaffirms that it's a popularity contest. Grant Hill breaking voting records his rookie year just blows my mind. I mean, what?!?!?

BUT it a fans game and voting keeps fans interested and involved (I love keeping up with the vote count even when I completely disagree with the results). So for fan involvement purposes, I guess I support the current system.

As for the All Star winner getting home court advantage for the Finals? Absolutely Not!! The team with the best record deserves that. The All Star game is a run n gun dunkfest with no defense and nothing should be based off the results of it.

DCSportsIsPain
08-09-2009, 12:10 PM
It is for the fans, but for ALL fans, so the change should be that every team has one representative and each team has ONLY one representative. That means big markets can't stuff the ballot boxes for their entire teams to start and small market teams have a reason to give a **** about the All Star game.

TheDiggler
08-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Let David Stern pick the All-Star teams. He knows what the fans want ! (Where is that puke-smile when I need it ?)

kidfury
08-09-2009, 12:42 PM
I know Yao will always get a huge number of votes but few people will argue that he's incredibly talented when he's on the court. My big problem is with Yi Jianlian, who could possibly make the all star team. He is far from being elite among nba players. I don't think we should exclude fans' input but things are definitely skewed for the chinese player. (i'm also chinese btw and i am totally against stuffing the ballot for unqualified players) If the nba somehow weighted the votes where coaches and gm's votes carried more weight maybe we'd get more representative all-star rosters which would ideally account for player injuries.

DetroitRipCity
08-09-2009, 01:33 PM
^Ya.

You also had Allen Iverson over Joe Johnson last year.

not I, I didnt vote for AI

Hawkeye15
08-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Fans should choose the starters, the game is played for them. Even though you get a ridiculous choice every now and then. Coaches pick the rest. Its never going to be right, some players get left off that shouldn't be, the whole thing about 2 players from the best teams shafts others. But it is what it is. If you don't like it, don't watch all star weekend.

Hellcrooner
08-09-2009, 04:04 PM
i would change the thing tough to Team usa vs Nba internationals.

Maybe let usa fans vot e usa starting five and rest of the world vote for the internationals.

Wade, KObe, Lebron,Duncan, Howard vs Nash, Manu,Dirk, Pau , Ming shoud be interesting to watch

Grizz/Cowboys09
08-09-2009, 04:31 PM
It is for the fans, but for ALL fans, so the change should be that every team has one representative and each team has ONLY one representative. That means big markets can't stuff the ballot boxes for their entire teams to start and small market teams have a reason to give a **** about the All Star game.

no...the best players regardless of the team should go...I'm a Grizzlies fan and no one deserved to be an all star last year so no one should have gone....same for anyone playing for the Clippers, Charlotte, Knicks, etc....and who wants to see anyone from one of those sorry teams anyways, esp. if they aren't producing numbers deserving to be an all-star

I'm from small market Memphis and I've always watched the all star game, even before the Grizzlies came to Memphis

I just think you shouldn't be given an all-star spot simply be being the best person on your TEAM

RLundi
08-09-2009, 04:38 PM
I say yes. Eventually, Yi Jianlin is gonna be an all-star because he'll get 3million anonymous votes from you-know-where. The fans can't be trusted. Heck, they voted Iverson into it last year.

That right there should say enough.

azkarraga
08-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Also I think that the NBA should allow the winning conference the homecourt advantage in the finals just like in Baseball. I bet the ratings skyrocket and the players play hard (their respective teams may get a little concerned but it's a big accomplishment to be an allstar).

This i like a lot. The Allstar would be much more interesting if it means something. The rest, id keep like it is, at least until Yi gets a spot as a starter

Hellcrooner
08-09-2009, 04:44 PM
no...the best players regardless of the team should go...I'm a Grizzlies fan and no one deserved to be an all star last year so no one should have gone....same for anyone playing for the Clippers, Charlotte, Knicks, etc....and who wants to see anyone from one of those sorry teams anyways, esp. if they aren't producing numbers deserving to be an all-star

I'm from small market Memphis and I've always watched the all star game, even before the Grizzlies came to Memphis

I just think you shouldn't be given an all-star spot simply be being the best person on your TEAM
didnt you feel snubeed when pau did only get once in the allstar while in memhis when he coudl ahve been 3 times ? (seasons he led them to playoffs)

guess what he was snubedd fr playing in a small market

Wilson
08-09-2009, 04:56 PM

I don't like that. I don't see why the team with the best record shouldn't be awarded home court advantage in the finals. Plus, it's cool to see teams (such as last season's Cavs and Lakers) compete down the stretch of the season for home court advantage all the way...

blazerman
08-09-2009, 06:54 PM
I don't like that. I don't see why the team with the best record shouldn't be awarded home court advantage in the finals. Plus, it's cool to see teams (such as last season's Cavs and Lakers) compete down the stretch of the season for home court advantage all the way...

It would make the allstar game a competitive game especially considering that the coach of the best team in each conference would coaching it and they would both make an extra effort to win because their respective teams are already frontrunners to make the finals.

Everybody says the allstar game is for the fans but really it's to honor the best players in the NBA and their acheivements during the season. It would mean more to them to have something on the line instead of just a 3 day 3 ring circus for the fans.

I bet you anything that alot of allstars would like it to be a real showcase of talents against the best players in the world instead of being similar to a wwf production like it is now.

I enjoy the allstar game and weekend but I think it would be more exciting to have the game played all out.

It just doesnt make alot of sense for players to bust there butts to become allstars then to only screw around in a meaningless game. They should be able to showcase what got them there and have a goal (secure HCA for their conference) just makes more sense.

I know I would love to see players like Kobe and Lebron play it like game 7 of the finals with the ultimate supporting casts beside them, tell me fans wouldnt love that.