PDA

View Full Version : Hedo has sights set on All-Star game

GodsSon
08-08-2009, 07:46 PM
The Raptors' resident Turk hopes to delight the fans in Toronto this season by making the NBA all-star team for the first time in his career.

Hedo Turkoglu, who was acquired by the Raptors on July 9 in a sign-and- trade deal involving four teams, told the Turkish newspaper Zaman recently that his primary goal for this 2009-10 NBA season is to make the all-star team.

Not sure what to think about this, part of me thinks thats a good personal goal to try and attain, but why cap that out as your PRIMARY goal for the upcoming season?...Shouldn't it be something higher that focuses more on the team excelling rather than your own stats?...Although i want to see him in the ASG, as that would be indicative of him having a major impact on our team, i really hope this doesn't turn out like the MVP comments from Bosh last season...Thoughts?

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/basketball/2009/08/08/10398621-sun.html

Ragun
08-08-2009, 07:48 PM
agreed. his goal should be to win a championship. that should be the primary goal.

rapswin98
08-08-2009, 07:51 PM
if it helps the team... but thats good to hear

Acekicker123
08-08-2009, 07:57 PM
I'm sure it just came off a little worse than intended.

He probably means he wants to be amongst the league's elite players this coming season, and good for him.

LanceUpperCut
08-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Ya lets all blow this out of proportion like the Bosh thing.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-08-2009, 08:20 PM
If he makes the all-star team, that means that we will have a very good year and a better year than any season before.

I say go for it.

When was the last time 2 Raptors made the ASG at the same time?

Tdots-Guido
08-08-2009, 08:20 PM
This does not mean much. He wants to play good which is great to hear and if him being an all star means us winning games, who cares!

GodsSon
08-08-2009, 08:26 PM
If he makes the all-star team, that means that we will have a very good year and a better year than any season before.

I say go for it.

When was the last time 2 Raptors made the ASG at the same time?

long enough...when VC and AD made it in 01

the only problem i have with his statement is the fact that its apparently his primary goal...i know a player saying "winning the title" is cliche, but your primary goal as a professional athlete should be elevating your team before worrying about personal goals...if the team performs, you'll get your just due with it

Raps08-09 Champ
08-08-2009, 08:33 PM
long enough...when VC and AD made it in 01

the only problem i have with his statement is the fact that its apparently his primary goal...i know a player saying "winning the title" is cliche, but your primary goal as a professional athlete should be elevating your team before worrying about personal goals...if the team performs, you'll get your just due with it

If he makes the AST, it is pretty much guaranteed that the Raptors improve.

GodsSon
08-08-2009, 08:40 PM
If he makes the AST, it is pretty much guaranteed that the Raptors improve.

not necessarily...him and Bosh could just post up good numbers while the team dwells in mediocrity...look at the Wizards from 2 seasons ago with Butler and Jamison being selected by the coaches...they finished 43-39 that year

Raps08-09 Champ
08-08-2009, 08:43 PM
not necessarily...him and Bosh could just post up good numbers while the team dwells in mediocrity...look at the Wizards from 2 seasons ago with Butler and Jamison being selected by the coaches...they finished 43-39 that year

They had a strong first half that is why.

MackSnackWrap
08-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Your primary goal shuold be to win a championship thats what your gettin payed 11 mill a year for not to make the all star team

deaner
08-08-2009, 08:44 PM
this leads me to thought I've been having for a while. It may be worthy of its thread... I don't know.

My questions:

Who on this current raptors squad with have more minutes per game than last year?
Estimate who's numbers will increase and who will drop.

1. Will Jack, Belinelli, Evans, Turk, Rasho, and Wright have better seasons than they did with their previous teams?
2. Will they get more minutes?

3. Will Bargs, Bosh, Jose, Ukic, and POB benefit in personal stats with the additional depth or will the stats be diluted between a more complete roster?
4. Will any of these players get more minutes than last year?

MackSnackWrap
08-08-2009, 08:46 PM
P.S Bosh didnt say that winning Mvp wasa his primary goal he said his primary goal was to win a championship last year, he just said that he would like to win Mvp and who wudnt?

Rego247
08-08-2009, 09:12 PM
I dont think this is different from what bosh said ... but i think this shouldnt be interpreted in the wrong sense ... i mean all he is sayin is he wants to be on the all star team for the first time would we making a fuss if a player said his primary goal this season is to make the all - defensive team? its being interpreted in the wrong sense ... and hes not gonna make the all star team if the team isnt winning any games so i think it evens out

clutchski
08-08-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm quite happy with this..all-star numbers will only help our team, I don't think this primary goal of Turk's will affect how he wants the Raps to win. He won't get voted in for nothing..offensively especially but defensively as well. I only see benefits here.

hades
08-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Well
For hedo To be an considered an all star, the raps need to Win games
And for that to happen he must average atleast 20pts 7 rebs 5ast.
So yes!
For him to say he wants to be an all star as a primary goal is equivalent to saying he wants to win! Isn't?

As long as his averages are on that standard and the raps win. He will achieve his goal.

Macedonian
08-09-2009, 09:09 AM
2008 ALL-STAR VOTING RESULTS

Eastern conference - Forwards:

LeBron James 2,940,823
Kevin Garnett 2,066,833
Yi Jianlian 1,813,829
Paul Pierce 1,238,763
Chris Bosh 1,101,052
Hedo Turkoglu 632,051
Shawn Marion 405,573
Danny Granger 365,810
etc.

THiiRTYONE
08-09-2009, 09:15 AM
LOL i say go ahead and make allstar for all i care but turk you better bring us a championship. HAHAHAH!

GodsSon
08-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Well
For hedo To be an considered an all star, the raps need to Win games
And for that to happen he must average atleast 20pts 7 rebs 5ast.
So yes!
For him to say he wants to be an all star as a primary goal is equivalent to saying he wants to win! Isn't?

As long as his averages are on that standard and the raps win. He will achieve his goal.

not really, saying he wants to win would be saying "i want to this team to win, and go further then it ever has"; which would personally sound a lot better to me then what he said...like i said earlier, that sounds cliche, but i'd rather see this team win 50+ games before i see us get 2 all-stars.

hades
08-09-2009, 12:23 PM
not really, saying he wants to win would be saying "i want to this team to win, and go further then it ever has"; which would personally sound a lot better to me then what he said...like i said earlier, that sounds cliche, but i'd rather see this team win 50+ games before i see us get 2 all-stars.

think about it.

he says he wants to be an all star.

for him to be an all star he has to have the numbers AND the team has to WIN

so...

if he says his primary goal is to make as an all star... then the motivation is there for the team to WIN

potato ... POTATO

either way... they have to win and have the numbers to be an all star.

but if you wanna get lyrical and not see that it has the same message then maybe your right..

kidfury
08-09-2009, 12:30 PM
He wants to do well. If he does well hopefully it translates to more wins. Now with that being said, if marbury or iverson were to make the same comment I might be a bit worried. There's little doubt that some of the leagues most talented players could inflate their stats by being more selfish and chuck the ball more. I don't think Hedo in anyway meant he'd sacrifice team for individual achievements.

GodsSon
08-09-2009, 01:02 PM
think about it.

he says he wants to be an all star.

for him to be an all star he has to have the numbers AND the team has to WIN

so...

if he says his primary goal is to make as an all star... then the motivation is there for the team to WIN

potato ... POTATO

either way... they have to win and have the numbers to be an all star.

but if you wanna get lyrical and not see that it has the same message then maybe your right..

See but what you and others are doing is searching for something that wasnt said, while i'm basing my argument entirely on what the article states he said...setting being an all-star as your primary goal for the upcoming season is something i'd be wary of anyone saying, as its a personal achievement rather then a team oriented one...you can read between the lines all you'd like, but thats what he said...im not saying he didnt mean more to what he said, but when you're dealing with the media you have to choose your words carefully

Murphy_Dee
08-09-2009, 01:10 PM
See but what you and others are doing is searching for something that wasnt said, while i'm basing my argument entirely on what the article states he said...setting being an all-star as your primary goal for the upcoming season is something i'd be wary of anyone saying, as its a personal achievement rather then a team oriented one...you can read between the lines all you'd like, but thats what he said...im not saying he didnt mean more to what he said, but when you're dealing with the media you have to choose your words carefully

Agreed, if he wanted to say "I want this team to win 50 games" he would've come straight out and said it rather than hide it in a statement he made about becoming an all-star. That being said I think he'll be a very good, and team-oriented, addition to the Raps this year.

SA5195
08-09-2009, 01:30 PM
He wants to do well. If he does well hopefully it translates to more wins. Now with that being said, if marbury or iverson were to make the same comment I might be a bit worried. There's little doubt that some of the leagues most talented players could inflate their stats by being more selfish and chuck the ball more. I don't think Hedo in anyway meant he'd sacrifice team for individual achievements.

If Marbury said something like that, I would straight up think he's high, the dude ate vaseline!! like wth!

Mile High Champ
08-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Lets not get carried away guys about this.

hades
08-09-2009, 04:24 PM

then i guess your right.. i have no argument... since i only gave my thoughts which YOU have asked...

yungballah15
08-09-2009, 06:07 PM
as long as he help out this team to win games, he should be an all star.

boms-4
08-09-2009, 06:31 PM
i dont understand why that is his primary goal for this season with nothing said bout a championship or even playoff appearance

dhalvarez
08-09-2009, 07:04 PM
I think that it's a great personal goal and a positive for Hedo. By trying to raise his game it will help the raps.

If he can raise his stats in points, assists and even rebounds that would be a bonus.

As much as it is a team game...in crunch time the ball is given to one guy to make the big play. Hedo was given the ball in almost every vital possession last year in the playoffs.

That's what stars like Lebron, Wade and Kobe do best.

Team goals are great...play hard, be consistent, defend home court, win, win, win, and get to the playoffs, win, win, and win the championship!! (and score 100pts a night for free pizza!! IMPORTANT!!!)

Calderon's goals: get healthy, improve on defense, be one of the top point guards in the NBA, become an all-star.

Bargnani's goals: improve inside game, improve on rebounding and defense, stay consistant and become an all-star (why not?)

Bosh's goals: prove to be the max player he says he is. Improve offense, improve defense and be consistent. . BE MVP MATERIAL!!

I wish that Bosh, Calderon and Bargs have the similar goals to be the best.

If they do, the Raps are in for one hell of a season.

Tha Truth
08-09-2009, 07:14 PM
Something Light.

Him wanting to be an allstar can only mean good things for the Raptors.

It means he's going to put in work.

dhalvarez
08-09-2009, 07:16 PM
I think that it's a great personal goal and a positive for Hedo. By trying to raise his game it will help the raps.

If he can raise his stats in points, assists and even rebounds that would be a bonus.

I think that Bosh, Calderon and Bargs should have similar goals. Bosh more so, since he thinks of himself as a max money player.

As much as it is a team game...in crunch time the ball is given to one guy to make the big play. Hedo was given the ball in almost every vital possession last year in the playoffs.

That's what stars like Lebron, Wade and Kobe do best.

I wish that Bosh, Calderon and Bargs have the similar goals to be the best.

If they do, the Raps are in for one hell of a season.

dhalvarez
08-09-2009, 07:20 PM

The raps are deeper, have a good pg in Calderon, Bargs who will be atleast a 16ppg and 8 rpg.

the wizards didn't have much.

RaptorizedKevin
08-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Great to Know Hedo has high Goals. Always set ur goals to the higest that they can be. If thats his personal Goal, than so be it. But If his team goal is to improve this team ( which he said and stated in the press confrances) that he would insure improvent to this team. But like all of us, we have personal goal too. just because he wants to make this team doesnt mean he doesnt care of the wellfare of this team. However maybe this is his true goal? I dont know, no one will know, except for hedo. The way hedo performs and talks, will give us a better idea of how hes fillfiling what he said earlier in the news, and press confrance. Other than that, Its a good thing, that he will probably elevate his game to all star level, which will definatly improve our roaster's talent and our record. And by the way, please do not use abreviated forms that isnt invented, because not everyone may know what you are talking about when you say "ASG" or AST" Cause those are not actual terms at all.

Someone else regarded something about bosh wanting to be mvp... well who wouldnt? wouldnt you want to be the very best? Im certain i would definatly like to.

GodsSon
08-09-2009, 09:43 PM
then i guess your right.. i have no argument... since i only gave my thoughts which YOU have asked...

i didnt mean to attack your position, im just trying to stimulate a good debate on whether this is really the best thing for one of our key players to be saying/striving for; especially as their primary goal...also, im trying to get people to think about this from a more neutral standpoint instead of Raps fans searching for the most positive outcome from what he could have meant, and not what he said...i hope he does make the ASG, but only with the team playing like a top 4 seed like i believe them to capable of

ChongInc.
08-09-2009, 11:08 PM
imagine we voted in 3 raps?
turk, bosh, and bargs?

Gibby
08-10-2009, 01:58 AM
if he going to be an AS then he needs numbers like he had 07-08 and raps to be an top 3 or 4 team. even 07-08 orlando was a good team and he missed out on the ASG. I am just saying it will be hard and he shouldnt be dissapointed if he doesnt.

P.I.
08-10-2009, 12:27 PM
You guys need to calm down, OF COURSE HIS MAIN GOAL IS TO WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP, he carried in the playoffs.

Thats a good goal in my opion, that means hes doing something right.

dhalvarez
08-10-2009, 01:21 PM
turk, bosh, and bargs?

Calderon can have a shot too.

dhalvarez
08-10-2009, 01:22 PM
turk, bosh, and bargs?

He needs about 10+ assists a game.

RatedRSuprStar
08-11-2009, 01:41 PM

Actually, this brings me back to the time when TJ Ford said something along the same lines as well.

True, team success should be the no. 1 goal for all the players, but he may just be talking about his OWN success for this year.

ink
08-11-2009, 02:11 PM
agreed. his goal should be to win a championship. that should be the primary goal.

+1

too bad we don't read Turkish. We really don't know what he might have said in the interview, or even what the article said. We only get the translation and then the writeup in the Sun. We're a few times removed from Hedo ...

There's no direct quote right? Just a reporter who says that Hedo has made it his goal.

Why no direct quote?? It would give the article a lot more cred.

Big Game Son
08-11-2009, 02:41 PM

I kno lol! Honestly the guy wants to shine thats great. Play better here than he did in Orlando doesnt bother me none. My only concern and its obvious is that we want his All-Star appearance (along with Bosh) to coincide with the fact that we have a great team and we can compete with the best. Individually and as a team. The Bosh MVP thing was bad luck. I blame it more-so on crap bench and Jermaine O'neal pugfugly jumpers.

To sum it up Hedo does not equal AI....we hope. However I'm sure he isnt like AI.

Luca68
08-11-2009, 03:19 PM
He needs about 10+ assists a game.

he will get 10+ assists a game ....when you got people like bargs bosh and turk who can all score, feed them the ball easy assists

SA5195
08-11-2009, 04:51 PM
I can't wait till the season starts!!!!! AAHHHHHH lol