PDA

View Full Version : Steroid Rashard Lewis Tested Positive For Completely Legal in Baseball

JordansBulls
08-08-2009, 12:23 AM
Source: NBA Fanhouse (http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/08/06/steroid-rashard-lewis-tested-positive-for-completely-legal-in-ba/)

As Tim Povtak wrote earlier, Magic star Rashard Lewis has been suspended for 10 games by the NBA for testing positive for dehydroepiandrosterone, a substance on the NBA's banned peformance enhancing drug list.

But what is dehydroepiandrosterone? Is it anything like the steroids baseball and football players have been disciplined for?

Dehydroepiandrosterone, more commonly known as DHEA, is a substance found in over-the-counter supplements. It is not against the law to possess or consume DHEA in the United States. Bills in both the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate which would have added DHEA to the nation's controlled substance list -- effectively banning DHEA in the United States -- were introduced in 2007, but ultimately never got out of committee. DHEA has been banned by the NBA, obviously, but also by the NFL, the NCAA, the NHL and both the international Olympic and cycling governance bodies.

Major League Baseball, however, does not prohibit the use of DHEA by its players. Yahoo! baseball writer Jeff Passan wrote about DHEA in May, when he reports the representatives of Manny Ramirez considered blaming high testosterone levels found in the slugger's blood on the supplement before other evidence pointed to a more sinister doping program (which included feminine fertility pills).

Passan reported that Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah, whose son is a lobbyist for a major DHEA production firm, killed the Senate bill attempting to reclassify DHEA. But baseball bans only compounds demarked as controlled substances by the government; hence, so long as Hatch keeps DHEA off the controlled substance list (or until the union can be convinced otherwise), baseball will allow its players to use DHEA. No such "luck" for Lewis. (Obviously, when you're a pro athlete, you need to know what you put in your body.)

This is the first major NBA suspension for PEDs. Lindsey Hunter, a sparingly used veteran playing for Detroit, was suspended 10 games in 2007 for testing positive for phentermine, a drug he blamed use of his wife's diet pills on. Darius Miles was also suspended 10 games last season on an outstanding PED violation: he also tested positive for phentermine. Phentermine is a controlled substance legal to obtain in the United States by prescription only -- in other words, phentermine falls under stricter possession/use guidelines according to the law than DHEA does.

jakesmail123
08-08-2009, 12:25 AM
interesting. i thought the banned substance list was pretty much the same in all sports.

ink
08-08-2009, 12:28 AM
MLB can hardly be used as any kind of positive standard when it comes to drug testing and regulations. :laugh2:

So, basically, if they allow DHEA it just shows once again that baseball is completely screwed up. It certainly doesn't change the fact that PEDs are being used in both leagues, and it definitely doesn't excuse the fact that Lewis used them.

This just underlines that they're both incompetent at dealing with the situation.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-08-2009, 12:30 AM
As much as I think this ordeal is blown out of proportion, it is illegal in the NBA and that is what matters.

MAC10TIZZY
08-08-2009, 12:34 AM
i am a complet homer, and will admit it, but rashard lewis is prolly one of the nicest and calmest nba players to ever play on our team. i have been reading different sides of this supposive "steroid" scandal. ive read up on the substance and it sounds so stupid (imo) that this is even labeling rashard lewis as a sterioid user........b.s...........imma stand behind and say NO , rashard lewis is not a cheat and should be guilty of stupidity and nothing else

Raps18-19 Champ
08-08-2009, 12:38 AM
He did technically cheat but I think people are overhyping this situation.

ink
08-08-2009, 12:40 AM
i am a complet homer, and will admit it, but rashard lewis is prolly one of the nicest and calmest nba players to ever play on our team. i have been reading different sides of this supposive "steroid" scandal. ive read up on the substance and it sounds so stupid (imo) that this is even labeling rashard lewis as a sterioid user........b.s...........imma stand behind and say NO , rashard lewis is not a cheat and should be guilty of stupidity and nothing else

There are already lots of threads about this so no need for a new one. I merged a couple of them.

Fact is, the drug isn't allowed. He used it. Call that what you want. Remember, baseball fans were in denial for at least a decade about this stuff too. Every sport has cheats. Lewis got caught. There are lots more.

B.JenningsMVP
08-08-2009, 12:44 AM
uhmmmmmm no.. just let it go and move on, he took something he shouldnt have and now he's punished.. end of story

Vinny642
08-08-2009, 12:50 AM
No

blazerman
08-08-2009, 12:57 AM
Well maybe Rashard should go play baseball.

The only reason it's legal in baseball is because if they suspended players for it then they would have to call the season off because teams would only have enough players to cover the infield.

Mile High Champ
08-08-2009, 12:58 AM
Considering the circumstances. I don't think this is too bad at all and is being over blown a bit by everyone.

ink
08-08-2009, 01:00 AM
Well maybe Rashard should go play baseball.

The only reason it's legal in baseball is because if they suspended players for it then they would have to call the season off because teams would only have enough players to cover the infield.

I agree.

I really am sick of the excuses professional athletes and professional leagues use when they cheat.

How many friggin years did we have to listen to MLB and its fans say "well, technically it wasn't illegal" when all the pitchers and hitters were on the juice.

Now we have some writer suggesting that somehow Rashard Lewis isn't really guilty because in another sport his PED is legal.

:laugh:

We really have to get out of our denial about drugs in sport.

ink
08-08-2009, 01:02 AM
Considering the circumstances. I don't think this is too bad at all and is being over blown a bit by everyone.

It's not really about Lewis at all. It's more about the way fans make excuses and don't want to know the truth. Can anyone really blame athletes for cheating when the fans are so desperate to avoid the truth? What are the chances of them ever getting caught when everyone is desperately trying to look the other way so as not to spoil the fantasy?

Just watch this thread. It will fill up with all the usual excuses and denials. Happens every time.

Mile High Champ
08-08-2009, 01:06 AM
It's not really about Lewis at all. It's more about the way fans make excuses and don't want to know the truth. Can anyone really blame athletes for cheating when the fans are so desperate to avoid the truth? What are the chances of them ever getting caught when everyone is desperately trying to look the other way so as not to spoil the fantasy?

Just watch this thread. It will fill up with all the usual excuses and denials. Happens every time.

Gotta agree with you there Ink, I can see that happening very easily. Its just a terrible situation that Lewis has gotten himself in, The drug seems not to be a legitimate steroid and now Lewis will carry the label of being a supposed user by fans. I really do like his game and he really showed a lot this season as a starting PF.

*Superman*
08-08-2009, 01:06 AM
Some people just can't move on.

Draco
08-08-2009, 01:08 AM
Now we have some writer suggesting that somehow Rashard Lewis isn't really guilty because in another sport his PED is legal.

:laugh:

We really have to get out of our denial about drugs in sport.

Right.. well, it's not much better to read posts from people who claim NBA players must use steroids for the reason that players in several other sports use them.

ink
08-08-2009, 01:10 AM
Gotta agree with you there Ink, I can see that happening very easily. Its just a terrible situation that Lewis has gotten himself in, The drug seems not to be a legitimate steroid and now Lewis will carry the label of being a supposed user by fans. I really do like his game and he really showed a lot this season as a starting PF.

Like I said, I have no problem with Lewis. It's about cheaters in general and the way that fans and the league itself are complicit.

I just read a comment that said "some people just can't move on". By "moving on", we give a wink to all the other cheaters that they'll all be just fine. "Just keep using, we have your back".

;)

Mile High Champ
08-08-2009, 01:10 AM
Some people just can't move on.

It really is not all that easy sometimes to do that. Lewis has to face this, he should of known better. Its unfortunate, this however does not change my opinion of him as a player. Still great in my mind.

O/T: 6000 posts! :D

ink
08-08-2009, 01:11 AM
Right.. well, it's not much better to read posts from people who claim NBA players must use steroids for the reason that players in several other sports use them.

Since you and I have already debated this into the ground a few years ago, I'll pass this time around.

Eyes wide open is all I can say.

Draco
08-08-2009, 01:13 AM
Since you and I have already debated this into the ground a few years ago, I'll pass this time around.

Eyes wide open is all I can say.

And the drug tests appear to be working is all I can say... Logical conclusion is that it's simply not as big a problem as it is in baseball or other sports.

ink
O/T: 6000 posts! :D

:clap:

About 3,000 of those were starting great polling threads too.

Illuminati999
Last I checked, this ISN'T baseball, it's BASKETBALL. Punching people in the face and upper body is legal in boxing, so because it's legal in boxing should it be legal in basketball? Does it make it less wrong for an NBA player to bunch another player in the face? Using your feet is legal in soccer, does that mean we should abolish the NBA's "kick ball" violation? Driving a race car is legal in auto racing, should NBA players be allowed to drive a car to the rim?

ink
08-08-2009, 01:15 AM
And the drug tests appear to be working is all I can say... Logical conclusion is that it's simply not as big a problem as it is in baseball or other sports.

Not logical at all. You don't know how effective their testing methods are, when they're testing, what they're testing for, and how advanced their research is into new designer PEDs.

Draco
08-08-2009, 01:17 AM
Not logical at all. You don't know how effective their testing methods are, when they're testing, what they're testing for, and how advanced their research is into new designer PEDs.

This sounds like paranoia. So why are NBA players better at covering their tracks than players from other sports?

ink
08-08-2009, 01:21 AM
This sounds like paranoia. So why are NBA players better at covering their tracks than players from other sports?

:pity:

Nice try.

Like I said, we talked about exactly these points before. There's lots of criticism of the NBA's drug testing policies. Basically, fans aid and abet the athlete's cheating by turning a blind eye (like you're doing), and later they demonize them. People don't want the fantasy ruined.

Draco
08-08-2009, 01:25 AM
:pity:

Nice try.

Like I said, we talked about exactly these points before. There's lots of criticism of the NBA's drug testing policies. Basically, fans aid and abet the athlete's cheating by turning a blind eye (like you're doing), and later they demonize them. People don't want the fantasy ruined.

Ok.. I'm just thinking if you were to compare the drug policies or provide a list of tests from various sports and point out how the NBA fails It'd go a long way towards making our point. Maybe you posted that in the past, I can't recall.

blazerman
08-08-2009, 01:29 AM
Why are people so willing to sweep a dope issue under the table for an athlete. If it was you or me and we gave a dirty UA at work, there gonna say dont let the door hit you in the *** on the way out.

I think the guys that want to defend these issues so adimently just want to win at all costs. I pay alot of money for 2 season tickets in Portland and would be pretty pissed at a guy on the Blazers if he was caught knowingly or unknowingly for using banned substances because it effects every game he's out and I still have to pay the same for my seats. Basically youre paying for a product and have to make do with a substitute so if anybody is getting cheated it's the fan.

*Superman*
08-08-2009, 01:30 AM
Like I said, I have no problem with Lewis. It's about cheaters in general and the way that fans and the league itself are complicit.

I just read a comment that said "some people just can't move on". By "moving on", we give a wink to all the other cheaters that they'll all be just fine. "Just keep using, we have your back".

;)

Okay, thats not what i said now is it. I am telling people on PSD to move on, he will get his 10 days during the season.

ink
08-08-2009, 01:31 AM
Ok.. I'm just thinking if you were to compare the drug policies or provide a list of tests from various sports and point out how the NBA fails It'd go a long way towards making our point. Maybe you posted that in the past, I can't recall.

I had the "good" fortune to be part of a team that interviewed Victor Conte (BALCO) last summer. He, and all the piles of research we did for the features we produced, left no doubt in my mind that pro sports drug testing is a farce.

I did post a lot of material in a previous thread, so I'm not going to do that again, but this link is a pretty good start. The title of the article? "U.S. pro sports leagues still trail in drug-testing arms race".

Here are a couple of bullet points from the article about the NBA and NHL:

The NBA and NHL test only during the season, which makes their programs effectively useless, numerous experts say.

No pro sport tests blood, and no pro sport uses either of the two tests available for human growth hormone.

ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?id=3408399)

Those two reasons alone make it easy enough for any village idiot to dope in pro sport.

Bulls_fan90
08-08-2009, 01:39 AM
This may be true but Rashard Lewis plays basketball NOT baseball.....

MajorFloridaFan
08-08-2009, 01:49 AM
This is getting old already....Lets ask ourselves did he use it for performance or mental happiness...ESP he did not want to tell anyone he was upset...there is a huge lists of over the counter durgs more powerful than this and also illegal in the NBA

*Superman*
08-08-2009, 01:53 AM
I don't really know about the drug, but what I've been hearing is its an anti-depressant, makes sense Shard's brother died a while ago, and his daughter has been to the hospital a lot. None of us know Rashard, so we can't really judge him on why he took it. It you want to see him as a cheater, go for it, thats your opinion, I know i am biased, but I don't see him taking it to become "better" physically.

MajorFloridaFan
08-08-2009, 01:56 AM
I don't really know about the drug, but what I've been hearing is its an anti-depressant, makes sense Shard's brother died a while ago, and his daughter has been to the hospital a lot. None of us know Rashard, so we can't really judge him on why he took it. It you want to see him as a cheater, go for it, thats your opinion, I know i am biased, but I don't see him taking it to become "better" physically.

I agree..i think he was more worried about covering his tracks mentally than gaining a performance advantage

SeoulBeatz
08-08-2009, 01:59 AM
no, i honestly think the media is making this particular case waaaay bigger than it should be.

and the mere fact that this substance would fly in baseball really makes me question how much of an effect it had on shards actual strength.

i could care less with all this steroid fiasco b.s anyways though. lets move on and play some bball!

IDB Josh M
08-08-2009, 02:00 AM
If an NBA player is tested positive for THC, he will be suspended. THC is the chemical in marijuana that makes people high.

If they added aspirin to the list, its still illegal, albeit ... really stupid.

blazerman
08-08-2009, 02:11 AM
Are some of you clowns for real, come on now do you really believe that GNC sells "happy pills" or "anti depressants"., you have to have a prescription from a doctor to get anti depressants ...

I have some oceanfront property in Arizona you wanna buy it cheap!

ink
08-08-2009, 02:30 AM
You guys are missing the point. Lewis got caught for taking a borderline drug.

THE POINT IS THAT THE NBA DOESN'T TEST PROPERLY AT ALL. Anyone who knows anything about drug testing knows that the athletes are a generation ahead of the testing at all times. These are extremely rich athletes with a lot to gain by performance enhancement. The league literally doesn't want to commit the R&D funds to develop tests for the new PEDs, and AS PROVEN, the league does not test blood or use either of the two HGH tests that are known. They are at least 10 years behind the athletes, and Rashard Lewis is just the tip of the iceberg.

You guys don't get that do you?

zambo4president
08-08-2009, 02:38 AM
Nahh he didnt really "cheat". And they lost anyways so its like he took whatever he took and still didnt win and thats all that matters right :p?

Draco
08-08-2009, 02:39 AM
Ok, I'm sold on the NBA not having the best drug testing policies. I'm not yet sold on Lewis being the tip of the iceberg or that NBA players have a lot to gain by PEDs on the banned list.

zambo4president
08-08-2009, 02:39 AM
If an NBA player is tested positive for THC, he will be suspended. THC is the chemical in marijuana that makes people high.

Word :nod:

rabzouz 96
08-08-2009, 08:39 AM

THE POINT IS THAT THE NBA DOESN'T TEST PROPERLY AT ALL. Anyone who knows anything about drug testing knows that the athletes are a generation ahead of the testing at all times. These are extremely rich athletes with a lot to gain by performance enhancement. The league literally doesn't want to commit the R&D funds to develop tests for the new PEDs, and AS PROVEN, the league does not test blood or use either of the two HGH tests that are known. They are at least 10 years behind the athletes, and Rashard Lewis is just the tip of the iceberg.

adding to that id think it would be dumb for the league to find out that their top players are on performance enhancers. the nba is a businness, stern is a businessman, the more atheletic they are the more fascinating bball gets. the more scandals they leak with steroids the less people will attend the gmes, stern is concerned about the image of the nba i dont think hed leak if lebron or cp3 or kobe or any other face of the nba were to be tested positive for that.

rabzouz 96
08-08-2009, 08:41 AM

i think that there are more players that got caught smoking marijuana by the police than by the league. the only one i can think of is clifford robinson.so much to the accuracy of the leaugues antidrug tests.

Laker fan in OZ
08-08-2009, 08:50 AM

Yeah that's the real point, if it's on the list it's on the list, no matter how stupid the list is.

In our sports here in Australia (cricket, rugby league), if you test positive to a banned drug (including those available over the counter) it's an automatic 2 year suspension.

ManRam
08-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Between the fact that

A) I am a homer
B) my 60 year old dad takes a supplement with DHEA in it...and pays less than $6 for it
C) the performance enhancing effects have been scientifically proven to be next to nil by the likes of the New England Journal of Science, and studies by the Mayo Clinic
D) unlike what the baseball players got busted for, this is the sort of drug that you can by at a GNC or Walgreen's...AKA you don't have to go visit A-Rod's cousin in the DR to get it. I could be taking this in 5 minutes if I wanted to.
E) his alibi is actually plausible...unlike anyone else who's ever been busted
F) it is an anit-depressant, and considering he lost his brother and his daughter has serious health issues, it makes sense he'd want one
G) it is sold as products called "Youthful You" and claims on its label that it "supports healthy aging," "optimizes the immune system" and "enhances energy and mental well-being."
H) relacore, the most commonly sold supplement at GNC with DHEA is a "belly fat" reducer
I) The chairman of the WORLD anti-doping Agency...says that "I think the performance-enhancing aspects of it are nowhere in the same league as other substances that are categorized as anabolic steroids" and that "there is no reason an athlete would take a supplement containing it (DHEA) with the intent to gain an advantage over his fellow athletes...It isn't effective"
J) and it isn't banned by the MLB...the sport that has the most to worry about...the sport that can't afford to allow slip ups...the sport that can't afford to let players get any sort of advantage illegally. If they don't ban it, it's cool in my books.

K) and lastly, because of all the people who immediately assumed he was injecting roids up his butt with Barry and Sammy, and attacked me for looking up the facts...and supporting him. I never said what he did was okay...I never said he shouldn't be punished...I just didn't think people were treating him fairly. He isn't a roider like any of those baseball players.

mrblisterdundee
08-08-2009, 04:46 PM
It's funny that a weakling like Lewis needs steroids. He never bangs. He just shoots from the outside.

Lakeshowallday
08-08-2009, 04:56 PM
Anything that increases the level of your testerone, which did in Rashards case is a steroid. The only people I hear that are saying he took a legal substance are Magic Journalists and fans. He took an illegal substance , he admitted "late in the season", to keep up with the playoffs. Its unfortunate that this high profile athlete damaged his image like this. Ultimately I think he should of been suspended alot more than 10 games, maybe 30 at the least. I was a rashard fan, I no longer am.

johnnychan
08-08-2009, 04:58 PM
If he wanted to gain a competitive edge he wouldnt have been using this drug. He would have been using somthing that is actually proven too give you a edge. People need to lay off this subject it was an honest mistake by him. Damn

KobeBeatJeeesus
08-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Honestly, what does a lanky 3-4 forward going to benefit from taking steroids?

ink
08-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Honestly, what does a lanky 3-4 forward going to benefit from taking steroids?

Faster recovery time. People really have no idea how steroids work.

Not everyone ends up looking like Ahnold you know.

IDB Josh M
08-08-2009, 06:44 PM
As Mr. Cartmenez says, you're only a cheater if you cheat and get caught.

blazerman
08-08-2009, 07:37 PM

Oh I get it but couldnt pass up the ribbing of Magic fans kinda like they did Blazer fans when Oden went down with a knee injury. I didnt like it but they still did it. Plus this is sports and that is negative news about another team so what do you expect sports fans to let it go.

I still hear crap all the time on hear about the jailblazer era and with the sore eye baseball has gotten from players using roids would you expect anything less especially considering that every player is clueless as to how it got in there body.

Lewis is a pioneer of the NBA steriod era, now we just need a clark to follow lewis and we will have the 2nd coming of Lewis & Clark but this time they are pioneers of the steriod era.

blazerman
08-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Between the fact that

A) I am a homer
B) my 60 year old dad takes a supplement with DHEA in it...and pays less than $6 for it
C) the performance enhancing effects have been scientifically proven to be next to nil by the likes of the New England Journal of Science, and studies by the Mayo Clinic
D) unlike what the baseball players got busted for, this is the sort of drug that you can by at a GNC or Walgreen's...AKA you don't have to go visit A-Rod's cousin in the DR to get it. I could be taking this in 5 minutes if I wanted to.
E) his alibi is actually plausible...unlike anyone else who's ever been busted
F) it is an anit-depressant, and considering he lost his brother and his daughter has serious health issues, it makes sense he'd want one
G) it is sold as products called "Youthful You" and claims on its label that it "supports healthy aging," "optimizes the immune system" and "enhances energy and mental well-being."
H) relacore, the most commonly sold supplement at GNC with DHEA is a "belly fat" reducer
I) The chairman of the WORLD anti-doping Agency...says that "I think the performance-enhancing aspects of it are nowhere in the same league as other substances that are categorized as anabolic steroids" and that "there is no reason an athlete would take a supplement containing it (DHEA) with the intent to gain an advantage over his fellow athletes...It isn't effective"
J) and it isn't banned by the MLB...the sport that has the most to worry about...the sport that can't afford to allow slip ups...the sport that can't afford to let players get any sort of advantage illegally. If they don't ban it, it's cool in my books.

K) and lastly, because of all the people who immediately assumed he was injecting roids up his butt with Barry and Sammy, and attacked me for looking up the facts...and supporting him. I never said what he did was okay...I never said he shouldn't be punished...I just didn't think people were treating him fairly. He isn't a roider like any of those baseball players.

Ramble,ramble,ramble

So the facts your presenting in this matter by your own admission are these:

1 your a homer, your 60 yr old dad takes dhea, It's legal in baseball and Lewis was depressed because his brother and daughter ( a common tail to gain pity by crackheads too).

Well not one of your facts has anything to do with the FACT that Lewis failed the NBA drug test and it is illegal in the NBA.

Im not against Lewis at all but some of you guys need to just give up the Perry Mason pipe dream because you'd only get the guy in further over his head than he is now. Personally I have always thought highly of Lewis but I like to wisecrack and you guys are making it far too easy.

*Superman*
08-08-2009, 08:13 PM
If the Magic fans don't defend Lewis who will, what do you want from us anyway.

I bet if a Blazer was in his position you would defend him to, right?

MajorFloridaFan
08-08-2009, 08:18 PM
If the Magic fans don't defend Lewis who will, what do you want from us anyway.

I bet if a Blazer was in his position you would defend him to, right?

Any fan will defend his hometown players....esp when this isnt so clear and cut

*Superman*
08-08-2009, 08:24 PM
Any fan will defend his hometown players....esp when this isnt so clear and cut

Thats what I'm saying so get off our case.

MajorFloridaFan
08-08-2009, 08:31 PM
The only suspicion i have with this...is that this positive tests coincides with the Post season injury he had at the start of the playoffs
But for real if the man wanted to cheat he would have USED HGH they dont even have a blood test for it in the NBA...and that largely increases health and recovery
why risk anything with an over the counter drug that registers in a urinalysis and has minimal impact on any amount of performance,recovery, or muscle fatigue

....If the man was cheating he most likely would use an easily accessible highly affective drug that they dont even test for in the NBA than some Wal-greens drug...

blazerman
08-08-2009, 08:48 PM
Thats what I'm saying so get off our case.

Alright.

magichatnumber9
08-08-2009, 08:51 PM
So no one thinks I have a hidden agenda or anything I am a Celtics fan, and with Orlando being our new rival I still see this as Orlando bashing and a non story to me. O.K he took a banned substance he got caught and is being punished properly. But PED's in Basketball are different then PED's in Baseball. All the people that are bashing Magic fans on here obviously have a trolling addiction and also have maturity issues.

TheMicrowave
08-08-2009, 09:36 PM
He should know and understand all of the rules of the NBA. He should know what to take and what to not take. Maybe he needs better doctors and others to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I don't really think it is that big of a deal though, personally.

blazerman
08-08-2009, 09:43 PM
So no one thinks I have a hidden agenda or anything I am a Celtics fan, and with Orlando being our new rival I still see this as Orlando bashing and a non story to me. O.K he took a banned substance he got caught and is being punished properly. But PED's in Basketball are different then PED's in Baseball. All the people that are bashing Magic fans on here obviously have a trolling addiction and also have maturity issues.

Nobody has bashed a Magic fan, only the Magic themselves and really you act as if Magic fans havent bashed other teams ever.

And what's with you and maturity issues Doc. (you sound like Charles Barkley in that deodorant commercial "anything else would be uncivilized"). Chill out it's the summer and that's what fans do at times. If their fans cant deal with the grief maybe you could council them.

spurs4#5
08-08-2009, 09:55 PM
it all somes down to did lewis cheat? yes...did he do it knowingly? who knows....but this guy gets paid millions and millions of dollars to play the game and play it fairly...so if he didnt do it knowingly than its still his fault because he's supposed to know these things...this is why i believe that rashard lewis knowingly knew excatly what he was doing and took a chance a enhancing his performance illegaly...am i disappointed...a bit, rashard seemed to be one of the really good ones in the league...but being a baseball fan as well im used to all this dumb crap...the only real big thing about this is that an orlando magic team who was one of the favorites to come out of the east has set their goal back ten games at the beggining of the season and lets hope this doesnt effect the rest of the seasons chemistry on and off the court.

SteveNash
08-08-2009, 10:04 PM

Why shouldn't he be labeled a steroid user? He took a steroid which is a violation of NBA rules. Making him a cheat.

DHEA is banned in the NBA, NFL, NHL, NCAA what difference does it make that baseball didn't ban it.

I'd also like to point out that Rashard Lewis did not test positive for DHEA. His test said he had elevated testosterone levels. His excuse was to say he took DHEA, the best kind of spin he could put on the story.

Richard Gasquet used the excuse that he ingested cocaine by kissing a woman. Jeremy Mayfield said he failed a drug test because he took Claritin. Rashard Lewis is more than likely lying. And he should have gotten at least a year ban and the Magic should have been stripped from the record books last year.

BlinkManJan02
08-08-2009, 10:19 PM
I don't think he is at all, and I don't think the Magic should be discredited for anything either. I think this is only a big deal because he is playing for a contending team. If this happened with someone on the Bucks for example, do you think we would be talking about it? A thread on that would get maybe five replies.