PDA

View Full Version : David Aldridge ranks offseason for NBA teams

cowboyz180
08-07-2009, 07:57 PM
thoughts?
link:http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/08/07/middleclass/index.html

JordansBulls
08-07-2009, 08:00 PM
How are we in the same category as the Knicks?

Draco
08-07-2009, 08:09 PM
I like the categories but I think letter grades would have worked better than ranking teams against each other. Chicago is 19th in the off season... Okay...

Lakers4ItAll
08-07-2009, 08:15 PM

That is messed up but then again the Bulls lost Ben Gordon who was there go to guy and haven't done anything to replace him, so they deff won't be as good.

SeoulBeatz
08-07-2009, 08:20 PM

i think losing gordon was the main reason.

he was ur best player along with rose in that series and i dont know if deng can replace that spark that gordon provided.

Draco
08-07-2009, 08:28 PM
The Bulls are in the same category as the Knicks in this article because ...

The Holders

These teams are normally among the league's biggest spenders, but they're keeping their powder relatively dry this summer so that they'll have a crack at the Class of 2010. Depending on how soon the economy bounces back, and the level of drop of league revenues, they'll either be sitting pretty next summer or have a lot less room to sign the game's superstars than they'd planned.

JJ_JKidd
08-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Denver did get Afflalo right? That wasnt bad.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Cool.

We get the main picture and headline for the middle.

MaHaRaJaH
08-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Cool.

We get the main picture and headline for the middle.
The presses have been stopped.

Lakers4ItAll
08-07-2009, 08:39 PM
i think losing gordon was the main reason.

he was ur best player along with rose in that series and i dont know if deng can replace that spark that gordon provided.

Not a chance, Deng is highly overrated they should have traded him while they had they chance to get someone good for him.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-07-2009, 08:40 PM
Not to take away from any other team but I really think we are at the top when it came to gaining and losing talent.

DCSportsIsPain
08-07-2009, 08:41 PM
WASHINGTON
DA's Offseason Rank: No. 6
Last season: 19-63, fifth place, Southeast; Did not make Playoffs.
Added: G Randy Foye (trade with Minnesota), F/G Mike Miller (trade with Minnesota), F/C Fabricio Oberto (free agent, San Antonio; one year, $1.9 million), hired coach Flip Saunders
Lost: F/C Darius Songalia (traded to Minnesota), F/C Alexiy Pecherov (traded to Minnesota), C Etan Thomas (traded to Minnesota), reassigned interim head coach Ed Tapscott
Retained: None
The key man: G Gilbert Arenas. Well, duh. The Wizards are a lottery team without him; a second-round team with him. Simple as that.
The skinny: The first time GM Ernie Grunfeld had the fifth pick in D.C., he got Antawn Jamison from Dallas. The Wizards expect they'll do just as well this time after dealing 2009's No. 5 pick to Minnesota for Foye and Miller, who add even more firepower to an already-loaded group. Saunders should be worth a few wins by himself. If Arenas is back to his 2006-'07 form and one of their young bigs develops fast, Washington is a contender in the East.

Washington is #6 in the entire NBA in Aldridge's World.
Just behind Toronto ...
And just ahead of Cleveland.
Also ahead of Dallas and Portland, by the way.

Does anyone believe this has any credibility after reading the above?
I'm a Wizards fan and I don't believe what I am reading.

AK23
08-07-2009, 08:57 PM
surprised that he actually rated houston that high.nice to see good critics :clap:

Raps08-09 Champ
08-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Just behind Toronto ...

I think he meant about acquisitions made by the teams and not how he sees it on who will succeed over who in the season.

Lakers4ItAll
08-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Not to take away from any other team but I really think we are at the top when it came to gaining and losing talent.

Ofcourse YOU do.... :rolleyes:

Raps08-09 Champ
08-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Ofcourse YOU do.... :rolleyes:

Well we gave up Marion, Parker, George and Kapono and gained Turkoglu, Evans, Wright, Belinelli, Jack and Rasho. Only important player we lost was Marion and Parker and we got Turkoglu and Jack which is better. And add the fact that got Evans, Wright and Belineli adds more to it.

That is near the top when it comes to replacing talent so I don't know what you are talking about.

carter15
08-07-2009, 09:46 PM
The rankings our how each team did in the offseason....so the Wizards had the 6th best offseason according to this guy NOT the 6th best team in the league...
and no raptors didnt do the best..hence not having the best ranking :)

dtmagnet
08-07-2009, 10:37 PM
The rankings our how each team did in the offseason....so the Wizards had the 6th best offseason according to this guy NOT the 6th best team in the league...
and no raptors didnt do the best..hence not having the best ranking :)

He also said its graded on a curve due to the amount of money teams have.

Mavrix
08-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Well we gave up Parker, George and Kapono and gained Turkoglu, Evans, Wright, Belinelli, Jack and Rasho. Only important player we lost was Parker and we got Turkoglu which is atleast 3 times as good.

That is near the top when it comes to replacing talent so I don't know what you are talking about.

lol you lost Marion.

Mavrix
08-07-2009, 11:24 PM
You basically traded Marion for Turkogulu not Parker.

Vinny642
08-07-2009, 11:30 PM

We are in the same catergory as the Clippers :(

Raps08-09 Champ
08-07-2009, 11:35 PM
lol you lost Marion.

Ah I knew I was forgetting someone.

Eithe way, the talent differential is big and we need all those players which adds on to it.

Grizz/Cowboys09
08-07-2009, 11:44 PM
How can he say the Grizzlies had "the best draft in the leaque" + we FINALLY have the 20pt,10rb PF we've always wanted/needed.....and rank the Grizzlies number 20?

Is he saying the Grizzlies are the 20th best team or the Grizzlies had the 20th best offseason?

Mavrix
08-07-2009, 11:52 PM
Always wanted/needed? You guys had Gasol not to long ago who gave you that.

Grizz/Cowboys09
08-08-2009, 12:00 AM
I always thought of Pau as a center (being 7 ft). While he was here, everyone was calling for a PF to compliment him, not a center.

BlondeBomber41
08-08-2009, 02:04 AM
Pau isnt a center because he isnt strong enough or big enough to play center. Dirk is a 7 ft PF, KG basically is. TD is, but I think he could be a center.

Beno7500
08-08-2009, 02:25 AM
Woah this guy is comltely right on everything. perfect human

Lakerfan In NY
08-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Just behind Toronto ...

definitely. If they are healthy, they can go as high as third or four in the east. Areanas b4 all the injuries was the hardest player to guard in the NBA w/ the ball. You add M Miller who is a dead on shooter, bulter, Jamison, Haywood's defense, now u have Oberto. Plus foye. they have the one of the deepest teams in the east. but the key factor is when healthy.

lakersrock
08-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Pau isnt a center because he isnt strong enough or big enough to play center. Dirk is a 7 ft PF, KG basically is. TD is, but I think he could be a center.

You did watch the Finals right? Did you miss Pau being at C more than any other Laker....against DWIGHT....the supposed best C in the league?

DCSportsIsPain
08-08-2009, 11:15 AM
You did watch the Finals right? Did you miss Pau being at C more than any other Laker....against DWIGHT....the supposed best C in the league?

Who says Dwight Howard is the best center in the league? Nobody with any basketball IQ, that is for certain. Dwight's offensive abilities are anemic and pale in comparison with any number of other centers. Gasol is getting way too much credit for defending a player whose primary offensive move is the dunk.
Let me see Pau defend a Tim Duncan or a Dirk Nowitzki or a healthy Amare Stoudemire before we go anointing him some kind of defensive guru.

DCSportsIsPain
08-08-2009, 11:18 AM
definitely. If they are healthy, they can go as high as third or four in the east. Areanas b4 all the injuries was the hardest player to guard in the NBA w/ the ball. You add M Miller who is a dead on shooter, bulter, Jamison, Haywood's defense, now u have Oberto. Plus foye. they have the one of the deepest teams in the east. but the key factor is when healthy.

Third in the East I can believe, if they are healthy all season.
Sixth in the entire NBA is a stretch even if they win 50 games.

I think I misread the OP as to the article only referring to Off-Season Rankings.
You know, those fabulous "On Paper" rankings everyone loves. :)

rjvacad
08-08-2009, 11:53 AM
I question (of course a Laker fan) having the oldest team in the NBA (spurs) ahead of an improved defending champs team in the Lakers?