PDA

View Full Version : Who is the Biggest Underachiever?

MPScribbles
08-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Edit: Some mod changed the name of my thread for no reason. I don't want to ask who people think is the biggest underachiever. I want to ask who is a waste of talent. There is a big difference. Rasheed did achieve things, he is not really an underachiever, he is a waste of the talent that he possessed. Thanks mods for saving us from ourselves. On to the actual thread...

I think that Rasheed Wallace is the biggest waste of talent that I can think of. I know that he has been a very good player but he has come nowhere near what he could have been if he had great focus and work ethic, like Tim Duncan, for instance. I think that with his polished post game, good shooting range, the capability to play excellent man or help defense, and everything else that he had working for him that he could have gone down as top 3 or possibly top PF ever. I'm sure that I will get blasted for this but I have never seen a more complete player that squandered away so much talent.

Best Season: 01-02 stats
19.3pts 8.2rbs 1.9ast 1.3stl 1.3blk fg%.469 3pt%.360 ft%.734

Career Averages
15pts 6.9rbs 1.9ast 1stl 1.4blk fg%.471 3pt%.342 ft%.719

Now if he played all out every game I think that he would have topped out at around 26pts 11rbs 3ast 2stl 2blk with career numbers just a little bit lower than that.

That said, do you agree?
Can you think of someone else that could have been so extremely great and turned out to be just pretty good? Please give some reasons why you think what you think.

DetroitRipCity
08-07-2009, 07:50 PM
Darius Miles
Kwame Brown
Sebastian Telfair
Darko

Or am i miss understanding the question i posted players that were supposed to be good but were not.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-07-2009, 07:50 PM
Players that are injured half the time.

Paulliwali
08-07-2009, 07:51 PM
well bynum comes to mind if he didn't have all those injuries

Reyes6
08-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Gerald Green!

UofA
08-07-2009, 07:54 PM
michael jordan

arkanian215
08-07-2009, 07:54 PM
haha yeah. id also eddy curry, zbo, mcdyess (cuz he got injured so much), marbury, hmm yao?(he gets injured a lot, he couldve ruled for awhile if he didnt get injured), maybe some others. darko was never that talented or had that much upside.

cowboyz180
08-07-2009, 07:56 PM
kwame brown

AK23
08-07-2009, 07:57 PM
rashad mcCants: sac. kings

Toenail Clipper
08-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Tracy McGrady, PERIOD

Jays Claw
08-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Gerald Green.

jsumadchat
08-07-2009, 08:03 PM
steve francis....end of story.

MPScribbles
08-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Darius Miles
Kwame Brown
Sebastian Telfair
Darko

Or am i miss understanding the question i posted players that were supposed to be good but were not.

No, no, I mean guys that were good but could have been great if they had a little heart to go with their game. Or if they had the work ethic to reach their potential.

Also, I don't mean guys that have been held back by injury. If that were the case then I'd say McGrady or Hill. Injuries don't factor into this discussion. I am only talking about guys that had mad game but didn't bother putting the work in to make themselves as good as they possibly could have been.

White_Mike
08-07-2009, 08:05 PM
100 moar votes for Eddy Curry.

GeneWaldron#5
08-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Zach Randolph. A supremely talented offensive player but doesn't have much interest in playing defence and has a very bad attitude. With the right work ethic he could have been one of the best big men of his generation.

If he was committed on both ends of the floor and didn't disrupt every team he plays on he would be worth every penny of that mammoth contract he has.

MPScribbles
08-07-2009, 08:12 PM
steve francis....end of story.

Injuries played a big part in his demise. I would have to say that Rasheed is still a bigger waste because he was healthy almost his entire career, as far as games missed, and he IMO never lived up to what I think he could have been. Francis, when healthy, may have had a bad attitude but you can't say that he could have been better than he was.
21.3pts 5.8rbs 7.0ast 1.4stl 0.4blk fg%.423 3pt%.299 ft%.823
is about all anyone could ever ask of Steve Francis, I think.

SeoulBeatz
08-07-2009, 08:16 PM
Stevie Franchise. he used to be my favorite player but the knicks killed him.

and i agree with Sheed. He was unstoppable in his prime with that turnaround jumpshot and outside game. if he just applied himself he would be HOF no doubt in my mind.

others that come to mind are Zach Randolph, Gerald Green (i remember how jealous i was of the celts when they got him, i thought he was the next *prime* T-Mac, who wouldve thunk it?)

Anthony Flores
08-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Starbury, The guy had a chance to be a great player, maybe top 20 of the his decade, he got his dream job PG of the Knicks and ruined it some how.

MPScribbles
08-07-2009, 08:18 PM
100 moar votes for Eddy Curry.

I thought of Eddy Curry when making the thread. He is certainly the kind of player that I am talking about. Although, I'm not sure, did his heart problem lead him to miss games in NY which would cause him to maybe be stricken from this conversation?

DCB/LAL
08-07-2009, 08:20 PM
Would Lamar Odom fit this???

He is a really GOOD player but never great even with his unique abilities.

goose15
08-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Eddy Curry and Marbury

xabial
08-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Eddy Curry Stephon Marbury Jared Jeffries Kwame Brown Zach Randolph Jerome James Darko

CraigtheSoxFan
08-07-2009, 08:26 PM
I think that Rasheed Wallace is the biggest waste of talent that I can think of. I know that he has been a very good player but he has come nowhere near what he could have been if he had great focus and work ethic, like Tim Duncan, for instance. I think that with his polished post game, good shooting range, the capability to play excellent man or help defense, and everything else that he had working for him that he could have gone down as top 3 or possibly top PF ever. I'm sure that I will get blasted for this but I have never seen a more complete player that squandered away so much talent.

Career Averages

Now if he played all out every game I think that he would have topped out at around 26pts 11rbs 3ast 2stl 2blk with career numbers just a little bit lower than that.

That said, do you agree? Can you think of someone else that could have been so extremely great and turned out to be just pretty good?

Rasheed Wallace a waste of tallent? really let me tell you somthing 3 allstar games and a nba championship ring and that my friend is not a wasted tallent

ChiSox219
08-07-2009, 08:28 PM
Vince Carter, no question.

DCB/LAL
08-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Why not call it "Underachieving Players" or "players who did less with their talent" cause "biggest waste of talent" does sound kinda brutal. :shrug:

CraigtheSoxFan
08-07-2009, 08:32 PM
marbury hands down ever since he went inactive by the knicks his career went down the drain

MPScribbles
Would Lamar Odom fit this???

He is a really GOOD player but never great even with his unique abilities.

Yes. Great example. Lamar Odom, as skilled as he is should have gone down as arguably one of the top 50 players ever. So few people his size have ever had the basketball skill that he has and yet, to this point, he has never been an all-star and has career averages that have no chance at getting him to the HOF.

tland22
Id say TMAC was the most talented person who didnt get to live up to his full potential because of uncontrollable things...injuries.

Or Id say Julian Wright...he will NEVER get off of the Hornets bench

KnicksPain
08-07-2009, 08:34 PM
I thought of Eddy Curry when making the thread. He is certainly the kind of player that I am talking about. Although, I'm not sure, did his heart problem lead him to miss games in NY which would cause him to maybe be stricken from this conversation?

Nope he has been healthy as hell, just fat.

raidersrock99
08-07-2009, 08:36 PM
ummmmm stephon marbury

BHF
08-07-2009, 08:38 PM
keon clark for smoking crack

blazerman
08-07-2009, 08:40 PM
1) The biggest waste of talent in my opinion has to be Len Bias, he was the #1 draft pick of the Boston Celtics and decided to try some coke supposedly for the 1st time and overdosed and died just days after being the #1 overall pick.

2) The #2 biggest waste of talent was Micheal Ray Richardson of the New Jersey Nets. The guy could have easily been a top 50 player of alltime but was such a dope fiend he was banned like 3 times from the NBA and never made the impact that he was suppose too.

3) Sam Bowie- He was too brittle and fell apart ever other trip dowm the floor.

DCSportsIsPain
08-07-2009, 08:42 PM
1) The biggest waste of talent in my opinion has to be Len Bias, he was the #1 draft pick of the Boston Celtics and decided to try some coke supposedly for the 1st time and overdosed and died just days after being the #1 overall pick.

2) The #2 biggest waste of talent was Micheal Ray Richardson of the New Jersey Nets. The guy could have easily been a top 50 player of alltime but was such a dope fiend he was banned like 3 times from the NBA and never made the impact that he was suppose too.

3) Sam Bowie- He was too brittle and fell apart ever other trip dowm the floor.

4) Joe Barry Carroll

blazerman
08-07-2009, 08:47 PM
4) Joe Barry Carroll

Yeah that's a good one. I remember watching him and Pervis Short (GSW) against the Blazers back in the early to mid 80's and thought they could be something then Carroll fell off the planet the next day and never resurfaced.

Storch
08-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Tracy Mcgrady and Yao Ming

arkanian215
08-07-2009, 08:49 PM
some day i will say sean williams. god i wish i was him.

arkanian215
08-07-2009, 08:50 PM
also marcus williams, many african internationals as well. very athletic and naturally gifted but they dont know how to play the game.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Johan Petro and Sene.

Raph12
08-07-2009, 08:53 PM
Lebron James, I know everyone is gonna have a fit for me saying this, but with this guys strength, speed, quickness and resilience he could've been great by now. I mean even with all that bottled up talent, he just bulldozes through guys when his shots aren't falling. I want to see that jumpshot extend beyond the three-point line and more consistant mid-range to long jumpers. Not to mention his defense is very lazy, he just gambles for steals and expects players behind him to clean up his mistakes should he lose on the gamble.

In 3-5 years I want to see this Lebron: (Per Game Stats)
30+ points, 8+ rebounds, 8+ assists, 2+ blocks, 1+ steals, 2-3 turnovers, 49+ fg%, 35+ 3pt%, 80+ ft%
I don't think that's asking for too much considering his athletic ability and raw skills, if he fails to develop a consistant mid-range/long/3pt jumpshot, shoot higher free throw percentage, commit less turnovers, play real tight defense (ie. Bruce Bowen/Shane Battier) than he has failed to rise to the hype that's preceeded him

MPScribbles
08-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Rasheed Wallace a waste of tallent? really let me tell you somthing 3 allstar games and a nba championship ring and that my friend is not a wasted tallent

Obviously you didn't read what I wrote or just didn't pay attention to the message. Possibly, since Rasheed just signed with Boston, you are such a homer that you instantly stick up for anyone signed to a Boston team. I don't know. What I do know is that Rasheed Wallace has been an absolute waste of his God given ability to not be at all mentioned on the short list of all time great power forwards. A couple all-star appearances and being the third option on one championship does not put him in that conversation. Being the player that his talent made him capable of being definitely would have.

Then for you to go and say
marbury hands down ever since he went inactive by the knicks his career went down the drain shows that you are not all that knowledgeable an NBA fan to begin with. Marbury's biggest problem was not getting disowned by the Knicks. He was his own worst enemy. He was a stat monster on a bunch of bad teams instead of being a guy that made teams better. He actually could be a good topic of discussion in this thread but just like Francis he was as good a player as he could have been. He just wasn't as good of a teammate as he could have been. His best seasons were ridiculous as far as numbers and his career numbers are very good. He was as good as his talent would allow him to be, Rasheed not so.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Lebron James, I know everyone is gonna have a fit for me saying this, but with this guys strength, speed, quickness and resilience he could've been great by now. I mean even with all that bottled up talent, he just bulldozes through guys when his shots aren't falling. I want to see that jumpshot extend beyond the three-point line and more consistant mid-range to long jumpers. Not to mention his defense is very lazy, he just gambles for steals and expects players behind him to clean up his mistakes should he lose on the gamble.

In 3-5 years I want to see this Lebron: (Per Game Stats)
30+ points, 8+ rebounds, 8+ assists, 2+ blocks, 1+ steals, 2-3 turnovers, 49+ fg%, 35+ 3pt%, 80+ ft%
I don't think that's asking for too much considering his athletic ability and raw skills, if he fails to develop a consistant mid-range/long/3pt jumpshot, shoot higher free throw percentage, commit less turnovers, play real tight defense (ie. Bruce Bowen/Shane Battier) than he has failed to rise to the hype that's preceeded him

You expect Lebron to have a season better than MJ?

Good luck.

Lebron has the talent but it isn't like his shot is the same as Wade or Kobe. He can't shoot that 3(even though I think he is better than Wade at 3) as consistantly or make that jumper everytime. Just give him time and practice and it will start falling.

MPScribbles
08-07-2009, 09:02 PM
some day i will say sean williams. god i wish i was him.

I am going to make yet another attempt to clear this up. I mean guys that were good in the NBA but should have been GREAT! I don't mean guys that had a bunch of hype coming out of college or guys that couldn't stay healthy. Rasheed Wallace had a top tier skill set. He should be in the discussion with Tim Duncan, Charles Barkley, Karl Malone and Kevin Garnett but he is nowhere even close because of his own doing, or lack of doing.

If you guys feel that there is another player that was a B- type player that should have been a A++ type player, like one guy said Lamar Odom, please mention them for discussion. Anyone that does not fit that description need not be mentioned.

MPScribbles
08-07-2009, 09:07 PM
And throw up in my mouth that someone actually tried to make this thread about LeBron James. If you bought into the hype about him so much that career averages after just 6 years of 27.5pts 7rbs 6.7ast 1.8stl .9blk on .471% shooting with a decent 3 and free throw percentage then that is a you problem.

Please, I implore the rest of you, don't let this thread be made into another LeBron thread. This place has plenty of those and he should have never even been mentioned here.

VIP1349
08-07-2009, 09:08 PM
As a Nuggets fan I will go ahead and go with Linas Kleiza. He's got a lot of talent but just can't put it together. He is just so inconsistent. He has a ton of talent but just can't put it together. He's got a three ball and can drive to the hoop and is a decent to good rebounder; but he has NO jumper and NO passing ability. He could be so much more.

DCB/LAL
08-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Jermaine O'Neal is another that comes to my head although he did have injuries so IDK he just dropped off all of a sudden which i believe was a season he only played about half the season.

REIDYREID
08-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Tyrus "whats going on" thomas

prs
08-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Probably should've went with biggest underachiever like someone else said, would've cleared things up for the reading impaired.

Anyways I'd add Shawn Kemp into the convo.

REIDYREID
08-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Martel Webster...Jay williams (bulls)...gerald green...Loul Deng...Curious Case Of Greg Oden...

Raph12
08-07-2009, 09:37 PM
You expect Lebron to have a season better than MJ?

Good luck.

Lebron has the talent but it isn't like his shot is the same as Wade or Kobe. He can't shoot that 3(even though I think he is better than Wade at 3) as consistantly or make that jumper everytime. Just give him time and practice and it will start falling.

*sigh* Rap08-09 Champ, we meet again, read what I wrote, I said that I want to see that from LBJ in 3-5 YEARS, that should give him enough TIME for PRACTICE. His shot wasn't all I'm concerned with, his turnovers, his lack of SERIOUS defense and especially his inconsistancy everywhere on the court (even starting to miss dunks/layups)

Btw I do expect Lebron to have a better STATISTICAL season than MJ, he has more athletic ability in every way and his skills are similar if not better, but still raw. Lebron has been hyped up more than any player in NBA History, they advertise him as if he's already better than Jordan with all the "witness" bs, which is why I said if he doesn't start producing those type of numbers, then I PERSONALLY think he has failed to rise to his hype and IMO he is a failed project just like Sheed. LBJ COULD BE the best of all-time, he has all the tools neccessary, but only he can get himself there

madiaz3
08-07-2009, 09:39 PM

personal problems. hes kind weak emotionally. dealt with a false scandal where everyone thought he was gay. his daughter and ex gf were murdered less than a year ago too etc...hes had a home invasion and has been tiedup. had a sucky life recently

ManRam
08-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Rasheed Wallace is not a waste of talent, and to say he doesn't play hard is a total farce. Few players are emotional, and get into the game as much as he does. He plays hard all the time. He just isn't a selfish player. On Detroit, he accepted his role as a 3rd or 4th option...and look at the success they had. He's always been on very balanced teams.

Sheed has so much passion. I really disagree that he is a waste of talent.

The fact that Lamar Odom doesn't dominate every single night leads me to want to choose him. He is such a good player, and sometimes he doesn't care.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-07-2009, 09:45 PM
*sigh* Rap08-09 Champ, we meet again, read what I wrote, I said that I want to see that from LBJ in 3-5 YEARS, that should give him enough TIME for PRACTICE. His shot wasn't all I'm concerned with, his turnovers, his lack of SERIOUS defense and especially his inconsistancy everywhere on the court (even starting to miss dunks/layups)

Btw I do expect Lebron to have a better STATISTICAL season than MJ, he has more athletic ability in every way and his skills are similar if not better, but still raw. Lebron has been hyped up more than any player in NBA History, they advertise him as if he's already better than Jordan with all the "witness" bs, which is why I said if he doesn't start producing those type of numbers, then I PERSONALLY think he has failed to rise to his hype and IMO he is a failed project just like Sheed. LBJ COULD BE the best of all-time, he has all the tools neccessary, but only he can get himself there

Alright but I don't agree with that failed project thing.

He has done everything he can. He bust his *** out every game.

B.JenningsMVP
08-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Cause of injuries: Penny Hardaway

underachieving in career;not living up to potential: Lamar Odom ( he's a good player now, but he could've been GREAT)

Eddie Griffin comes to my mind too.

MackSnackWrap
08-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Green, Marbury, Randolph,

_KB24_
08-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Penny Hardway
Grant Hill
Shawn Kemp
Kwame Brown
Chris Webber
Darius Miles

reemy
08-07-2009, 10:08 PM
kobe bryant....end of story.

are u serious?

DaPrimeTime21
08-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Gerald Green... Amazing athlete... Basketball IQ = Zero

dtmagnet
08-07-2009, 10:14 PM
In my opinion Vince Carter could have been so much more.

Run&Gun
08-07-2009, 10:14 PM
lamar odom, if he was more aggressive he should be putting up like 18-20 points a game, and maybe like 5-6 assist. more blocks and steals even.

IversonIsKrazy
08-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Z-Bo, CUrry, McGrady, and marbury, funny how 3 of them played in NY.

Teufelshunde4
08-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Len Bias

krest213
08-07-2009, 10:19 PM
luke walton.. his daD is a legend

GodsSon
08-07-2009, 10:21 PM
the one guy who hasnt been mentioned and is instantly coming to mind is Tim Thomas...the guy is 6'10 with the ability to drive and shoot from 3, has a good wingspan and can play pretty good defense when he wants to...i remember his milwaukee days and just thought the guy was ready to bust out in a big way, for whatever reason (laziness?, inability to put it all together?) he never developed the way he should have

nbaguy123
08-07-2009, 10:26 PM
allen iverson?

29$JerZ
08-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Eddy Curry, hopefully he proves everyone wrong and comes back ready to play but he has all that talent but no heart.

nbaguy123
08-07-2009, 10:32 PM
omg, yao ming. i really felt that if he stayed healthy along with t mac and the aquistion of ron artest, they could have won a title. maybe when yao recovers but still it would be to late.

CraigtheSoxFan
08-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Obviously you didn't read what I wrote or just didn't pay attention to the message. Possibly, since Rasheed just signed with Boston, you are such a homer that you instantly stick up for anyone signed to a Boston team. I don't know. What I do know is that Rasheed Wallace has been an absolute waste of his God given ability to not be at all mentioned on the short list of all time great power forwards. A couple all-star appearances and being the third option on one championship does not put him in that conversation. Being the player that his talent made him capable of being definitely would have.

Then for you to go and say shows that you are not all that knowledgeable an NBA fan to begin with. Marbury's biggest problem was not getting disowned by the Knicks. He was his own worst enemy. He was a stat monster on a bunch of bad teams instead of being a guy that made teams better. He actually could be a good topic of discussion in this thread but just like Francis he was as good a player as he could have been. He just wasn't as good of a teammate as he could have been. His best seasons were ridiculous as far as numbers and his career numbers are very good. He was as good as his talent would allow him to be, Rasheed not so.
dude i got it ben gordan is a waste of a talent same with kirk and brad miller and dude i may be a homer but i am a proud homer ya dig

blacknell
08-07-2009, 10:41 PM
stevie franchise, Dujan wagner i had big hopes for him

mdabstar
08-07-2009, 10:43 PM
i would say vince carter. if he just tries and puts his heart into each and every game like kobe or garnett, he could easily be the best player in the nba. back in his toronto days, he was being compared to mj.

Nexus
08-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Grant Hill comes to mind. He would have had a pretty rediculous career without the injuries.

JWO35
08-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Eddy Curry
Rashard McCants
Grant Hill
Stromile Swift

tkshy
08-07-2009, 11:00 PM
I don't know if anyone said Vince Carter. Think about it.
Same size as MJ-Kobe
More athletic
Better shooter
Better ball handler
Better passer
Longer wing span
The ability to play better defense because of his athletism

He pretty much has all the physical attributes, and basketball attributes to be the greatest of all time. Just missing one thing.....HEART. Has no passion.

MPScribbles
08-07-2009, 11:01 PM
dude i got it ben gordan is a waste of a talent same with kirk and brad miller and dude i may be a homer but i am a proud homer ya dig

I'm done with you. People that refuse to make points or even make sense don't deserve the nominal effort that goes into moving my fingers to type these posts.

MPScribbles
08-07-2009, 11:06 PM
the one guy who hasnt been mentioned and is instantly coming to mind is Tim Thomas...the guy is 6'10 with the ability to drive and shoot from 3, has a good wingspan and can play pretty good defense when he wants to...i remember his milwaukee days and just thought the guy was ready to bust out in a big way, for whatever reason (laziness?, inability to put it all together?) he never developed the way he should have

Finally another good example. The fact that his best season ever was a 14 and 4 campaign is just pathetic. Maybe he didn't have the high ceiling that Rasheed had but it is a good example of a guy that could have been so much more and wasn't due to nothing but himself.

MPScribbles
08-07-2009, 11:10 PM
Z-Bo, CUrry, McGrady, and marbury, funny how 3 of them played in NY.

I addressed Marbury earlier. I have to disagree with Randolph. What more could he be doing that he isn't? If he tried harder on defense then maybe he could be better at it but has he ever shown the ability to be a lockdown defender? He scores and rebounds as much as you could possibly want out of him. IMO Randolph doesn't have what it takes to be a true top tier player in the league but Rasheed absolutely did and never got there.

Mavrix
08-07-2009, 11:10 PM
Zach ****ing Randolph

MPScribbles
08-07-2009, 11:14 PM
Zach ****ing Randolph

HOW? Make a point. I never make threads that ask closed-ended questions. If you have an opinion, make it clear so we know why the hell you think that. I am on this website for entertainment as I assume you all are also. How is it entertaining to go into a thread and type two words and leave? I don't get it.

ctitus45
08-07-2009, 11:19 PM
Injuries: Bowie, Penny, Grant Hill, Len Bias (death), Jay Williams (duke.bulls), Bill Walton

Others: Vince Carter, Lamar Odom, Shawn Kemp, Stackhouse

I think people like Kwame Brown, Darius Miles, Darko Milicic, etc...they never really proved they could be big NBA talents. they were all potential guys. The guys like Vince, Odom...they proved in the NBA that they could play, there was just always something that made you scratch your head and think "what is not clicking?" Kwame was never successful and Darko, well, many international guys just can't handle the grind and pressure of the NBA. Then again, maybe I am misunderstanding the question. But that's how i perceive a waste of talent. Gerald Green, Darius Miles, Candy Man...all those guys had potential and had the tools but....did they ever prove that they were NBA talents?

nbaguy123
08-07-2009, 11:26 PM
allen iverson anyone? athletic,crafty,speedy, dominating etc, the list goes on. with his talent he could have won 2-3 titles. if he played with the right players, and played some team ball. i say he had his chance in detroit, because that team was talented and deep. he needed to play team basketball. unfortunate i woulda like him to win a ring watching him play few years back. other than allen iverson, VC for sure. he hasnt done anything significant in his career, for his talent

Chicagofaithful
08-07-2009, 11:29 PM
josh smith anyone? Come one he has the same physique of Lebron and he can't shoot for ****

ctitus45
08-07-2009, 11:29 PM
allen iverson anyone? athletic,crafty,speedy, dominating etc, the list goes on. with his talent he could have won 2-3 titles. if he played with the right players, and played some team ball. i say he had his chance in detroit, because that team was talented and deep. he needed to play team basketball. unfortunate i woulda like him to win a ring watching him play few years back. other than allen iverson, VC for sure. he hasnt done anything significant in his career, for his talent

yeah but i think a stronger arguement is he did more than was expected. especially over the period of time he has been doing it. With his size? He has exceeded NBA expectations. It's hard to say he is a waste of individual talent.

however, he is in a stage of his career where if he just shut his mouth and accepted a role he could really help a team. but that's not what AI is about.

xmoney328
08-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Kwame Brown? since when he had talent?but i go with Jamaal Crawford and J.R. Smith , just because the fact i think they could be in the top scorer's in the league...

nbaguy123
08-07-2009, 11:40 PM
yeah but i think a stronger arguement is he did more than was expected. especially over the period of time he has been doing it. With his size? He has exceeded NBA expectations. It's hard to say he is a waste of individual talent.

however, he is in a stage of his career where if he just shut his mouth and accepted a role he could really help a team. but that's not what AI is about.

true, i totally overlooked his size,but i think he could have been more succesfull as a team player rather than a one man team, with his talent its a damn shame

BCB mwat15
08-07-2009, 11:57 PM
Tyrus Thomas, he can hit his head on the United Center ceiling and is a good defender but seemingly puts no effort in to working on his offense. He could be rashard lewis who defends if he ever screws his head on straight

karrbinator
08-08-2009, 12:05 AM
I say Vince Carter. He has insane athletic ability but plays like a girl and settles for his jumper...he could be soooo much better than he is.

CraigtheSoxFan
08-08-2009, 12:07 AM
I'm done with you. People that refuse to make points or even make sense don't deserve the nominal effort that goes into moving my fingers to type these posts.

i will say this! this thread is waste of time so it needs to be closed

zambo4president
08-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Slava Medvedenko. Yes it was the most random i could come up with.

PLAYERS FAN
08-08-2009, 12:47 AM
O' that's easy. Lamar Odom!

MSG34
08-08-2009, 12:54 AM
I don't really agree with Rasheed being the "biggest waste of talent". He was an extremely valuable part of a championship team. A champion isn't a waste of talent in my book, unless they are some scrub who never lived up to potential and rode the bench all series.

Eddy Curry and Vince Carter top my list.

Lakersfan2483
08-08-2009, 01:16 AM

Career Averages

That said, do you agree?
Can you think of someone else that could have been so extremely great and turned out to be just pretty good? Please give some reasons why you think what you think.

Derrick Coleman is another player similar to Rasheed Wallace, he had all the talent in the world, but didn't have the necessary work ethic and mindset to be one of the all time greats. In terms of talent, Derrick Coleman was easily one of the most talented big men to come into the league, but not many know that because he never lived up to his potential.

pf289
08-08-2009, 01:17 AM
Samuel Dalembert? Or is he just not good? lol

pf289
08-08-2009, 01:20 AM
Grant Hill comes to mind. He would have had a pretty rediculous career without the injuries.

How does that make him an underachiever? He has incredible work ethic, had a great career, but he had bad luck with injuries.

championships
08-08-2009, 01:24 AM
Vince Carter, He had the talent to be one of he greats.

Grizz/Cowboys09
08-08-2009, 03:13 AM
Baron Davis

DamnGoat
08-08-2009, 03:21 AM
Joe Smith, Darko Milicic, Michael Olowokandi, Bryant Reeves, Kwame Brown, Eddie Griffin...these guys are more along the lines of a bust, but most of them still had the size, athleticism and skill set to be very good NBA players and could never live up to being such high picks.

La11
08-08-2009, 03:46 AM
Yes. Great example. Lamar Odom, as skilled as he is should have gone down as arguably one of the top 50 players ever. So few people his size have ever had the basketball skill that he has and yet, to this point, he has never been an all-star and has career averages that have no chance at getting him to the HOF.

sorry there cant be a top 50...there is already top 50 greatest player of all time. lamar,eddy curry,vince carter, darius miles, jay williams

carlo4444
08-08-2009, 03:47 AM
:up:bassy...his still only like 23 or somthing with amazing talent he couldve been one of the nba top guards easy and he still could be i hope

azkarraga
08-08-2009, 04:22 AM
stern.

after all these years in the league, his numbers are still to show some progress.

thesparky33
08-08-2009, 04:29 AM
Eddie Griffin. RIP.

Reddd
08-08-2009, 04:56 AM
Yea I agree Eddie Griffin was a poor man's Sheed, he could stroke behind the three and he had a pretty solid post game, too bad that these kind of things happen:(
Also somebody mentioned Shawn Kemp, the '99-00 season his numbers declined significantly due to attitude problems such as drug use, weight problems etc, he wasn't nearly that old for his game to decline.
Honorable mentions: L.O, he had the ability to be the next Magic Johnson.
And I do think Rasheed Wallace could've been much better, he could've easily been the Pistons nr. 1 option and one of the greatest PF's of all time, his POTENTIAL was much higher.
Also Z-Bo, if he had the passion and the drive and the work ethic, but he's just so lazy and arrogant and he doesn't seem to really care. And if he improved his defense a bit..., underachieving is mostly caused by attitude problems I guess.
Also I know he was a draft pick, but I can't forget Dajuan Wagner, who scored a 100 points in high-school in a single game, but failed in the NBA.

HoopsMachine
08-08-2009, 05:11 AM
Yao Ming... a player with his build and skill set should be more of a dominant presence in the league. While injuries have plagued him multiple times througout his career, when healthy he doesn't consistently impose his will on the other team.

Honorable mention: Vince Carter
Has the same talent level as Kobe (offensive-wise) but lacked the leadership and never made a name for himself on the defensive end.

DerekRE_3
08-08-2009, 06:11 AM
Hands down Gerald Green. Has unbelievable gifts...but a bad attitude and bad work ethic. It's a shame...especially when you see a lot less gifted players who work hard...imagine what they could have done with with Gerald Green's ability...just wasted god given talent...

chitownbulls
08-08-2009, 07:03 AM
Lamar 0dom. I no he is a good player but he could have been great. He can dribble, shoot, drive, and has a great size. Those attributes are similar to Lebron James, Odom could have been a much better player in the league.

MSG34
08-08-2009, 09:38 AM
Lamar 0dom. I no he is a good player but he could have been great. He can dribble, shoot, drive, and has a great size. Those attributes are similar to Lebron James, Odom could have been a much better player in the league.

Sure, he could have been better but is he a waste of talent? He's coming off a championship and I'd say he played a pretty big role for LA.

BkOriginalOne
08-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Tracy Mcgrady - he doesn't win.
Lebron James - He should've won a ring by now.
Ron Artest - top 5 two player in the game - no ring.
Steve Francis
Steph
Zach Randolph, Kwame Brown, Daris Miles, Bargnani,

OG "Dee" LOCc
08-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Kwame brown?

MPScribbles
08-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Derrick Coleman is another player similar to Rasheed Wallace, he had all the talent in the world, but didn't have the necessary work ethic and mindset to be one of the all time greats. In terms of talent, Derrick Coleman was easily one of the most talented big men to come into the league, but not many know that because he never lived up to his potential.

The day that I end up agreeing with more Laker fans than any other fan base is a pretty sad one. Thank you sir for reading and responding in kind. Derrick Coleman is actually a really good example of what I am talking about because he was a really good player that should have been great. Only knock I have on him being mentioned here is that he was quite good but he had a lot of injuries. I am trying to go for people that really have no excuse. Injuries happen and there isn't much you can do about it.

20.7pts 11.2rbs 3.6ast 1.2stl 1.7blk .460 from the field and .808 on the line is a pretty awesome stat line that any team would be thrilled to get out of their PF.

MPScribbles
08-08-2009, 12:21 PM
sorry there cant be a top 50...there is already top 50 greatest player of all time. lamar,eddy curry,vince carter, darius miles, jay williams

I'm confused by this post. Are you saying that because the NBA made a top 50 list in 1996 that nobody else will ever be better than those 50 players? The top 50 is an ever-changing list. Players like George Mikan, for instance, would get their lunch eaten by guys with the talent level of Nene. Please don't give me that back in the days stuff like nobody will ever be better than the guys that made that largely-sentimental list.

Tom81
08-08-2009, 12:27 PM
amare,vince,francis,t-mac

MPScribbles
08-08-2009, 12:29 PM
I just thought of another one that I'm surprised no one has mentioned- Andrei Kirilenko.

It is almost an identical situation to Lamar Odom. Big guy who is very multi-talented, enough so that he should be his team's second(maybe 3rd) offensive weapon, who now comes off the bench instead of living up to the potential that he has.
Best Season:
16.5pts 8.1rbs 3.1ast 1.9stl 2.8blk .443 fg% .338 3pt% .790 ft%
The guy can absolutely stuff a stat sheet but is coming off the bench at age 27 so that
CJ Miles can start??? Total waste of talent.

NYYCowboys
08-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Tracy Mcgrady - he doesn't win.
Lebron James - He should've won a ring by now.
Ron Artest - top 5 two player in the game - no ring.
Steve Francis
Steph
Zach Randolph, Kwame Brown, Daris Miles, Bargnani,

Lebron James????? :confused:

LakersIn5
08-08-2009, 12:36 PM
underachiever is the same with bust so i go with darko and maybe kwame

GoNY
08-08-2009, 12:46 PM
When someone mentioned Derrick Coleman, it got me thinking about his former teammate Kenny Anderson. One of the best high school players ever from NYC and he had two great college years at GT. Many thought he was headed for stardom. He had all the talent in the world and yes he did have a good career in the NBA, but it could have been so much better. He wasn't decimated by injuries either, he just started falling off in his late 20's. Big underachiver IMO, he was an amazing talent and never lived up to his full potential.

MPScribbles
08-08-2009, 01:02 PM
When someone mentioned Derrick Coleman, it got me thinking about his former teammate Kenny Anderson. One of the best high school players ever from NYC and he had two great college years at GT. Many thought he was headed for stardom. He had all the talent in the world and yes he did have a good career in the NBA, but it could have been so much better. He wasn't decimated by injuries either, he just started falling off in his late 20's. Big underachiver IMO, he was an amazing talent and never lived up to his full potential.

Great example of the topic of this thread. He was an amazing talent but only stayed at a high level for the first few years of his career then, inexplicably, fell way off. He should have been a great player but ended up just really good and eventually no good at all.

Denver-boy
08-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Steve Nash.... were DONE

koreancabbage
08-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Eddy Curry- he's actually really really good when he slims up and actually plays. he's pretty talented.

ogtransphat
08-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Gonna go Marbury, T-mac, and the ever fabled hometown flop-Larry Hughes.
Also think Kenyon Martin could have been way better.
what ever happened to Gheorghe Muresan?

Iman5830
08-08-2009, 01:53 PM
i know this isnt going to be a good one because the player is still young, but i believe that josh smith could be so much better if he had a better work ethic. he's one of the most athletic players in the league, in my eyes second to lebron, and he simply just does not work hard enough. at this point with the right work ethic, he could've been an allstar and all nba player, definitely in terms of defense.

Lakeshowallday
08-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Dwayne Wayde - Instead of concentrating on his talent, he went camera happy. Unfortunate.

Manning Lover
08-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Steve Nash.... were DONE
Are you crazy Nash is wanna of the best. He is the Micheal Jordan of today

mitch91
08-08-2009, 02:32 PM
i say maybe amar'e! i think the guy is good now but really has the talent to be...great!!

yes i understand he has had some bad injuries,, but last year on the suns he jus didnt apply himself at all he gave up far to easy and has no effort whatsoever on the D end! if the guy worked on his D and didnt give up and sulk so easily he could be so very good. he applied himself so much against the spurs in the playoffs the year before he got hurt and he dropped scary scary numbers on possibly the greatest pf of all time...when he was maybe in his prime (im saying when TD was possibly in his prime), he was so excited then but last season he fell off and just seemed to give up

johnnychan
08-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Stephon Marbury and Steve Francis

Lakeshowallday
08-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Are you crazy Nash is wanna of the best. He is the Micheal Jordan of today

Lol and i'm the Magic Johnson of today. Um no Kobe is the michael of today. Nash is just a John Stockton, lol jordan yeah ok.

bogdanrom
08-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Andray Blatche. Every year we expect him to blow up and every year he sucks. He will go through a stretch and average 23 PPG, 11 RPG, 4 APG, 2 BPG, 1 SPG with one game getting like 27 points, 15 rebounds, 5 assits, 5 blocks, and 2 steals then go another stretch where he averages 5 PPG, 4 RPG, 2 APG, 1 BPG, 0 SPG.

Trouble87
08-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Eddy Curry
Joe Smith
Gerald Green
Zach Randolph
Morris Peterson
Adam Morrison
JJ Reddick

DeeJay
08-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Antoine Walker.
(I know he ain't playing anymore, which is a good thing)

GAWDtv
08-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Oh you mean the Vince Carters of the L?!?

rapswin98
08-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Dwayne Wayde - Instead of concentrating on his talent, he went camera happy. Unfortunate.hows he an underachiever, he almost won mvp last year

MajorFloridaFan
08-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Kwame Brown Micheal Olawakandi

*Superman*
08-08-2009, 08:37 PM
JJ and Adam Morrison are the definition of failing. I can't believe JJ is better tho. What a waste of a 3rd pick for the Cats.

nikefreek220
08-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Mark Madsen- just pure athletic ability could of been a HOF, if he just applied himself and stopped trying to dance.

Allen Iverson- he is a HOF, but i think he could have been a top 3 player of all time, if he had a work ethic like, MJ, Kobe and those type of players. He could have developed his jumpshot ALOT more and applied himself, he would have been top 3 player of all time IMO. And i hate A.I by the way.

MPScribbles
08-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Mark Madsen- just pure athletic ability could of been a HOF, if he just applied himself and stopped trying to dance.

Allen Iverson- he is a HOF, but i think he could have been a top 3 player of all time, if he had a work ethic like, MJ, Kobe and those type of players. He could have developed his jumpshot ALOT more and applied himself, he would have been top 3 player of all time IMO. And i hate A.I by the way.

Thank you for taking the time to understand the thread and actually posting something that answers the question, instead of the misleading title that was assigned to it by some power-trippin' mod.

I wouldn't have come up with him on my own since he has been so great already but I see what you are saying about Iverson. If he had spent a little more time at practice(practice? not the game, we talkin' bout practice. practice, man?) then maybe he could have been even better than he has turned out to be. He has been a pretty unbelievable player nonetheless but if he had actually applied himself to working on his game and not been so "one way" then he could certainly have been mentioned in that top 10 all time discussion.

blastmasta26
08-09-2009, 01:20 AM
Waste of talent = Marbury. Dude could ball, he had a lot of potential, but he was a headcase and never reached his ceiling. Could've been an amazing player.