PDA

View Full Version : Why did Carmelo's FG% drop soo much this year?

JordansBulls
08-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Why did Carmelo's FG% drop soo much this year?

The last 3 years prior to this year he shot at 48%, 49% and 49% and averaged more ppg. Last season he shot at 44% and averaged a lower ppg and this with having a playmaker on the team in Billups.

Why the sudden drop?

b_rad23
08-07-2009, 02:53 PM
He also had less dunks this year. I'm sure that's part of it...More perimeter oriented.

ManRam
08-07-2009, 03:20 PM
My guess is AI left, and Chauncey replaced him so since Chauncey is less of a scoring option, more attention was put on Melo. Let's not forget, AI averaged 26.4 points a game in 2007-2008. Losing that type of scoring meant Melo had a bigger load to pick up. Billups only scores 17.7 points a game.

Melo also shot more threes, and more perimeter oriented shots.

tland22
08-07-2009, 03:30 PM
he just settled for more jumpers this year. With Chauncey on the team and the emergence of JR SMITH, Melo has much MUCH less to do...so he settles.

B.JenningsMVP
08-07-2009, 03:31 PM
Maybe it's cause he had a long summer w/ USA hoops.
lol idk

TheFuture6
08-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Hurt shooting elbow.

SlowMo
08-07-2009, 04:16 PM
Different role in the team. Camby left, and the nuggets had to focus on getting more people back for defensive boards. So, after a shot went up, he stayed back to get boards instead of sprinting the court and getting easy layups and dunks.

I bet we'll see a little more of those next year.

superkegger
08-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Hurt shooting elbow.

This. Apparently everyone forgets about the time he missed as well.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-07-2009, 04:20 PM
He had a hurt elbow the entire season. thats wat i blame it on.... you can't hate on the 55 wins tho...

PurpleJesus
08-07-2009, 04:25 PM
interesting, I thought he just had his best year as a pro, I still think he did, but he didnt shoot as well. I would think maybe it would have to do with him having to carry the offensive load more with AI being gone...Any idea if his shot attempts per game went up or down?

BkOriginalOne
08-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Because he starting shooting more three pointers, he was working on them for Team USA and brought it out more in his game.
More high risk shots equal less low risk close range shots; which translates into lower FG%

Don't worry, this year Billups will have shooting over 50%

TheMicrowave
08-07-2009, 05:05 PM
He was injured for a little bit of the season and was in a big slump in the beginning of the season.

cowboyz180
08-07-2009, 06:04 PM
i guess he had to shoot more with AI gone

DenButsu
08-07-2009, 09:06 PM
Please stay on topic. If you don't like a thread, don't post in it. If you have a real problem with it, report the post or go to the feedback forum. But we don't need everybody backseat modding about what threads are or are not gonna fly here. The mods will determine that. Thank you.

VIP1349
08-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Yeah he had a huge slump at the start of the season and then Foster absolutely crushed his wrist which obviously hurt him on his return. That's the main reason I'd say.

bahama0811
08-07-2009, 09:14 PM
His elbow.

Raph12
08-07-2009, 09:19 PM
He had a hurt elbow the entire season. thats wat i blame it on.... you can't hate on the 55 wins tho...

54, they had 50 the year before in a more competitive Western Conference. Last seasons' Western Conference was a joke aside from LA, expect Denver to finish 3rd to San Antonio or even 4th/5th to Dallas and/or Portland next season

VIP1349
08-07-2009, 09:26 PM
54, they had 50 the year before in a more competitive Western Conference. Last seasons' Western Conference was a joke aside from LA, expect Denver to finish 3rd to San Antonio or even 4th/5th to Dallas and/or Portland next season
We'll see, we enjoy the underdogs. Remember last year how we were suppose to be out of the playoffs? Yeah, we thrive off of the hate.

BUCSFORLIFE123
08-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Different role in the team. Camby left, and the nuggets had to focus on getting more people back for defensive boards. So, after a shot went up, he stayed back to get boards instead of sprinting the court and getting easy layups and dunks.

I bet we'll see a little more of those next year.

yea dats exactly it, he has to play D now and grab boards. remember his goal of getting 10 rpg?

DenButsu
08-07-2009, 09:37 PM

Oh, I expect not. The Nuggets haven't made any big dramatic moves this summer because they really didn't need to. They retained their top 6 players (possibly top 7 if LK takes the QO), 3 (or 4) of whom are still young and improving (and one more who's not young but still is improving - the Birdman), while making significant upgrades to both of their backup guards in two of the offseason's more underrated moves (Afflalo > Dahntay, Lawson >>>> AC). And they currently have only 10 players under contract, which means that they're not done yet. I think a lot of NBA fans put too much stock into high profile trades and signings while at the same time failing to recognize that it's often the smaller moves that add depth and glue to rosters that prove to be more effective. The Nuggets will be a better, deeper team next season than last.

---------------------------

As for the thread question, I agree that Melo's elbow had something to do with it, but I think in general he just pushed himself through a period of adjustment that took his whole game off balance for a while - but developed his game into a much more complete and dangerous one by the end of the season. His experience as essentially a defensive role player for Team USA (where he was closely watching Kobe, taking his advice, and modeling his work ethic after his) was probably the biggest recalibration of his whole mindset. He started off (like most of his teammates) last season focused much more on defense than on offense. I'm not sure people understand yet how big the strides Melo made defensively last season were, but if he's able to maintain the same level of defensive play he exhibited in the playoffs and build on it some next season, I think it will be pretty damn clear.

Two other things that were mentioned were that he made fewer dunks and took more 3s. Both are true. But I don't think the fewer dunks is a bad thing. For one thing, the presence of Nene inside (whereas Camby was a perimeter jumpshooter) accounts for much of that. But more than that overall Melo was going through a process of re-discovering (and pushing further) the more multi-faceted offensive game he'd kind of let slip for a while, and also a process of trying to become a more efficient player. I'd say the ratio of times in the 2007-08 season when I saw Melo try to recklessly force a move to the basket and get called for a charge to that of the 2008-09 season was probably 3 or 4 to 1. He was making a conscious effort to play more deliberately, more effectively. But I think in terms of his shooting % that that kind of came at the expense of getting into that mindless zen-like shooting zone sometimes, where everything just comes naturally.

I know I'm speaking in pretty abstract terms here, but all you really need to do to see the truth of what I'm talking about is compare his performance in last summer's playoffs to that of this summer's. The work he did all season long in areas of his game besides jump shooting really came together at the end and paid off big dividends in the postseason, as he emerged as a much more complete player.

I thank 3 things:

-His DUI, which although it became the butt of a joke, I think really served as a real wake-up call for him

-His Team USA experience, especially in terms of defensive focus and work ethic (thanks largely to Kobe, actually, and some other teammates there)

-Chauncey, which I think is pretty much 'nuff said.

Raph12
08-07-2009, 09:50 PM
We'll see, we enjoy the underdogs. Remember last year how we were suppose to be out of the playoffs? Yeah, we thrive off of the hate.

Dude not hating, just pointing out some facts and giving my opinion. Denver is a solid team and I expect them to finish between the 3rd and 5th spot, just my opinion.

Oh, I expect not. The Nuggets haven't made any big dramatic moves this summer because they really didn't need to. They retained their top 6 players (possibly top 7 if LK takes the QO), 3 (or 4) of whom are still young and improving (and one more who's not young but still is improving - the Birdman), while making significant upgrades to both of their backup guards in two of the offseason's more underrated moves (Afflalo > Dahntay, Lawson >>>> AC). And they currently have only 10 players under contract, which means that they're not done yet. I think a lot of NBA fans put too much stock into high profile trades and signings while at the same time failing to recognize that it's often the smaller moves that add depth and glue to rosters that prove to be more effective. The Nuggets will be a better, deeper team next season than last.

Well idk where Denver is with Kleiza right now, but I had heard rumors that the QO is too low and he won't accept it. I don't think Afflalo is an upgrade from Dahntay Jones, I've seen Afflalo play in Detroit and I'm not very impressed, inconsistant shooter and average if not below average defender. Dahntay Jones was a significant player who played a big role in Denver's push last season, guarding guys like Kobe Bryant, Chris Paul and Jason Terry/Josh Howard. IMO Afflalo is a step down, but I still expect Denver to do well, just not expecting them to return to the WCFs. Then again, weirder things have happened.

blazerman
08-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Hurt shooting elbow.

That had to be the main reason, but he took more of a leadership role this yr and ultimately was focused on a team goal instead of individual accolades.

One thing I will say about the Nuggets though is they sure came together as a team and really impressed me with a team first mentality.

I really thought they would implode last yr but the Billups move and more of a leadership role by Melo really helped solidify that team and I respectively admit I was wrong last season about Denver. Should be a fun yr in the Northwest division with Denver, Portland and Utah (especially since Portland tried to jackup Utah for Milsap), looks to be plenty of fireworks.

DenButsu
08-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Dude not hating, just pointing out some facts and giving my opinion. Denver is a solid team and I expect them to finish between the 3rd and 5th spot, just my opinion.

Well idk where Denver is with Kleiza right now, but I had heard rumors that the QO is too low and he won't accept it. I don't think Afflalo is an upgrade from Dahntay Jones, I've seen Afflalo play in Detroit and I'm not very impressed, inconsistant shooter and average if not below average defender. Dahntay Jones was a significant player who played a big role in Denver's push last season, guarding guys like Kobe Bryant, Chris Paul and Jason Terry/Josh Howard. IMO Afflalo is a step down, but I still expect Denver to do well, just not expecting them to return to the WCFs. Then again, weirder things have happened.

The only one of the guys you mentioned who Dahntay defended consistenly well was CP3. Anthony Carter did a much better job on Kobe and Terry (who he actually defended particularly well) than Jones did. Hell, J.R. Smith defended Kobe much better than Dahntay. And Afflalo might be an inconsistent shooter now, but consistency can be improved on (especially when surrounded by scorers and getting nothing but wide open shots), whereas Dahntay can't shoot - at all. There's not a single skill Jones possesses (except possibly attitude) that Afflalo can't do just as good if not much better. Jones made a high profile name for himself with his defense of Paul and with his "dirty" play in the playoffs. But the reality is that he was easily the worst player in the Nuggets active rotation all season long. He was made to look better because he was neatly plugged into a niche role where not much was expected of him. And that, too, is something that Afflalo can do.

As for Kleiza, I'm pretty much 50-50 on whether he returns or not. He's such a one-dimensional player that I don't foresee his loss being irreplaceable. Then again, he's a known quantity who'd come relatively cheaply if he took the $2.7 mil QO, and re-signing him would be easier than shopping around. But Melo's gonna play 38 minutes anyways, so it's not as if the Nuggets' success or failure is riding on the strength of their backup SF.

DenButsu
08-07-2009, 10:02 PM
That had to be the main reason, but he took more of a leadership role this yr and ultimately was focused on a team goal instead of individual accolades.

One thing I will say about the Nuggets though is they sure came together as a team and really impressed me with a team first mentality.

I really thought they would implode last yr but the Billups move and more of a leadership role by Melo really helped solidify that team and I respectively admit I was wrong last season about Denver. Should be a fun yr in the Northwest division with Denver, Portland and Utah (especially since Portland tried to jackup Utah for Milsap), looks to be plenty of fireworks.

And we also have 1 if not 2 teams to watch out for in our rearview mirrors. In one or two more seasons, it's really gonna suck being in the NW, is what I'm thinking.

MackSnackWrap
08-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Higher percentage of his shots were from the perimeter than in the lane, he had less dunks thats why he had 44 percent fg&

DenButsu
08-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Melo's shot selections did change in the way people are describing, but the changes weren't too dramatic:

2007-08
Shot Att.
Jump 62%
Close 27%
Dunk 9%
Tips 2%
Inside 38%

2008-09
Shot Att.
Jump 64% (+2)
Close 29% (+2)
Dunk 6% (-3)
Tips 1% (-1)
Inside 36% (-2)

fga 3pa % of fgas that were 3pas
2007-08 19.2 2.1 .109
2008-09 18.3 2.6 .142

diff -0.9 +0.5 +.033

I really think the injury and the adjustments he was trying to make to his game affected things more than the shifts in his shot selections.

samus
08-07-2009, 10:39 PM
his field goal percent droped but boy has he never been better, melo's developing, better d and all

Run&Gun
08-07-2009, 10:43 PM
His drop in fg% was mostly because of his elbow injury that bothered him all year