PDA

View Full Version : 2-guards are dying

joechoe
08-07-2009, 07:32 AM
We know of Harrison Barnes and other good shooting guards coming up, but does anybody else think that it's silly that a lot of shooting guards are trying to become point guards because of recent trends?

There's such a premium on point guards right now that shooting guards are quickly trying to learn the point guard position. I'm seeing random guys trying to improve their stock by changing position, especially if they're in the tween range of being 6'3-6'5.

The reason why I bring this up is because Tony Wroten, an absolute stud out of Seattle, seems to be making the switch when to my knowledge, he was a shooting guard before. I think this is a shame because he has time for his athleticism to improve to the point where he can be another D Wade.

So, is anybody else noticing this trend?(Also, can someone confirm what I wrote about Wroten?)

Tymathee
01-23-2010, 11:54 PM
Wade was a PG in college and started at PG for the Heat and still plays PG every now and then for the Heat. I find no issue.

jetsfan28
01-24-2010, 12:13 AM
Adding another dimension to your game is never a bad thing, especially if that dimension is distributing the basketball.

Corey
01-24-2010, 03:46 PM
What's more valuable

A two guard that can catch and shoot, and occasionally drive to the hoop with limited ball-handling

OR

A two guard that has transitioned between point guard and shooting guard, that has experience running and offense, but can still light up the score column

I'd take the second one for pure versatility reasons.

BlueJayFanDan
01-25-2010, 04:47 PM
I think if anything it gives these guys more value if they can play two positions. Jon Scheyer was a 2 guard most of his career at Duke at now in his senior year he has moved to point guard and is a player of the year candidate and has gone from a player who was likely to never get drafted to now a player who in all likelihood could be a late first round draft pick or a 2nd rounder.

td0tsfinest
01-25-2010, 11:23 PM
The Two Guard isn't dying.

It's just being updated. We've come to the point of basketball, where guys need to be able to play multiple positions and where it's an asset to have more than one ball handler on the court

kozelkid
02-04-2010, 10:12 PM
I think if anything it gives these guys more value if they can play two positions. Jon Scheyer was a 2 guard most of his career at Duke at now in his senior year he has moved to point guard and is a player of the year candidate and has gone from a player who was likely to never get drafted to now a player who in all likelihood could be a late first round draft pick or a 2nd rounder.

I love Scheyer seeing as he went to my HS, but there's no way he will be a 1st round pick. He'll likely be a mid 2nd round pick if lucky.
As for this thread, I agree. However, you can't forget that the 2 guard position has become much bigger size was compared to the 90s or 80s, so it's hard for most combo guards to become 2 guards and succeed. Obviously one can make the case for Wade, but other than him, there really isn't any GREAT 2 guard. I mean Gordon is good, but he still has issues, which are mostly due to his size.

BigEric
02-05-2010, 06:46 AM
Evan Turner is going to make a great SG in this league vs Willie Warren, who is a combo guard. They aren't dying yet.

KnicksPain
02-05-2010, 09:40 AM
I think evan turner was asked by his coach to play the point like tyreke evans was last year. If it works why not, back in the day I dont think they had positions like that cus everyone could pass and dribble. As far as your boy tony wroten, (Nate Rob's cousin) I've seen some footage of him and when you see the court like that and handle the ball the way he does you let him distribute. I actually heard his problem is being to passive and not having enough drive and work ethic, but he is a player.

NJBASEBALL22
02-06-2010, 03:37 AM
Combo guards generally struggle playing defense against true shooting guards. That is why Ben Gordon rarely starts. So it is more valuable for these guys to be able to run a team and filicilate while being able to guard pgs rather than having two guys (the actual pg and the combo guard) that are 6'3 that have to decide which guards a 6'6 sg.

Chronz
02-07-2010, 04:49 PM
I feel the same way OP, perhaps its for the best. I miss bigmen more than I miss natural 2's

arkanian215
02-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Devin Ebanks has the potential to move up in the draft b/c of his versatility. He's kinda like Tyreke except he isnt as strong going to the hole. I like his game a lot.