PDA

View Full Version : Hawks ink Williams; 5 years,$37.5 million

B.JenningsMVP
08-07-2009, 05:53 AM
I know I already posted about him re-signing,but this has more info in the re-signing of Marvin Williams..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4382788

Source: Williams to sign with Hawks

The Atlanta Hawks reached an agreement in principle with free agent forward Marvin Williams, a source close to the process told ESPN.com.

Williams is expected to sign a five year, $37.5 million contract as early as Friday, according to the source. The deal also has some hard to reach incentives that could boost the value of the contract to $43 million.

Williams' agreement came after more than a week of speculation and reports that a deal was done, but sources close to both sides of the process insisted that the deal was close but not done. Now, it appears that both sides are ready to take that final step.

Once Williams signs, the Hawks end an expensive summer that allowed them to essentially bring back all the key pieces from a team that made it to the second round of the playoffs last season.

The team re-signed free agents Mike Bibby and Zaza Pachulia earlier this summer, and they are currently in talks with Joe Johnson about signing an extension. Factor in the addition of Jamal Crawford via trade and first round draft pick Jeff Teague and the Hawks look even stronger than last season.

thapharcyd
08-07-2009, 06:34 AM
Hmm, a little too much cash IMO

cowboyz180
08-07-2009, 10:45 AM
isnt that a little overpayed?

arkanian215
08-07-2009, 12:03 PM
i think that's pretty fair value for marvin. he's much better now and still very young. he still has a high ceiling and his versatility kind of makes him a bargain at 6ish mil a year.

Lakers4ItAll
08-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Hawks are gonna be pretty good but still not up there with BOS ORL CLE

The ChILL
08-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Maybe a little overpaid but I have seen a lot worse. Not bad considering he is still young and still has a lot of potential. The Hawks will be in the thick of things for years to come I just don't see them as serious contenders.

SeoulBeatz
08-07-2009, 12:35 PM
i dont know if he deserves this. he is still only 23, but man i remember the hype around this guy. hell they picked him ahead of CP3!!, the hawks really dont need him (they have plenty of athletic wings) but we'll see how it pans out.

arkanian215
08-07-2009, 12:39 PM
he was drafted for his upside, just like earl clark. he was still very raw coming out of unc but has one of best shot mechanics in the league. he can probably fill in at 3 positions given his quickness.

28+24+5=3champs
08-07-2009, 12:57 PM
he does have a ton of potential and will be an important part of that young team that should be together for a while. as they get more experienced and mature they could really be a strong team in the next few years depending on how some of the other teams in the east rosters play out in the next few years.

Kakaroach
08-07-2009, 01:26 PM
So the Hawks decided to over-pay because of his potential? I don't like that he gets this much money, but he should get even better and can hopefully live up to all that hype one day. :shrug:

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-07-2009, 01:34 PM
MW aint even that nice... :shrug:

Burkey3472
08-07-2009, 01:40 PM
They overpaid but he does have good potential and is still very young.