PDA

View Full Version : What will the Raptors 2009-2010 Style of Game Be?

Byronicle
08-07-2009, 12:09 AM
With Jay Triano now the official headcoach and that he can preach his principles to his disciples, how do you think the Raptors are going to play? Like Mike D'Antoni's run and gun style? Half court basketball with tons of screens? Pick and Roll with Calderon and Bosh? Crazy about offence or defence???

And How are we going to get these points? Drives? Are we going to rely heavy on the 3point shooting like we have maybe the past 2-3 years? Are we going to improve our transition points or points in the key?

How do you prefer it to be? Personally i like the run and gun style because it is exciting but there should be a on and off switch, turn on when appropriate and turn off when half-court offence would be sufficient.

I just want to know what people expect the Raptors to play like this upcoming season :B <---by the way thats a face with a double tongue

yungballah15
08-07-2009, 12:13 AM
they will run but they wont depend on it, like phoneix did, and half court should be a llot of ball movement, screens. hopefully they get there full identity.

IversonIsKrazy
08-07-2009, 12:16 AM
im hoping we run more often, with guys like Bargnani and DeRozan, they would excel in it.

clutchski
08-07-2009, 12:22 AM
It will be a little of everything you said..coaches will push the run an gun when they can, we will see half court offense often, pick and rolls (maybe not so much, I think), with a heavy focus on the defensive end.

Byronicle
08-07-2009, 12:26 AM
lol i jus changed the question a bit...just to tell you guys :B

smith&wesson
08-07-2009, 04:09 AM
they will try to run, they already started too the 2nd half of the season after the all star break.

but i think there will still be a fair amount of the half court set as well. i can still see calderon and bosh running that pick and roll.

Yahweh
08-07-2009, 08:13 AM
I believe they値l return to the style that won them 47 games a couple of years ago, where the ball was always in motion. For me that was the biggest difference between that year and the next two.

If you remember they started horribly that year, but bosh got injured and they had to rely on constant ball movement during that time and it worked! While Bosh was out, he watched and realized that this European style really can work. When he came back, he bought into that style of play and the raptors were really good.

The last two years we致e seen a slow and steady decline of that style; where the ball was no longer moving and people were just standing around and watching others try and do it all themselves. O誰eal, Moon, Parker, Bosh, Graham, and Bargs all seem to suffer from the idea that they could just allow the ball to stop at them, wait for the defence to adjust, and then try and score all by themselves. This style is fine if you have Lebron or Carter-type players, but not with the roster the Raptors have.

The addition of Turkoglu, Rasho and Jack will hopefully facilitate this ball motion style even more. I find this style of basketball much more ascetically pleasing than a typical run and gun style of play. And I think it is more conducive to playoff basketball for a team without a superstar go-to player.

I doubt anyone will know how they good or bad they will be defensively until we see this unit together. Ivaroni will hopefully help, and making other teams work on the defensive end may also be a positive. If Calderon is healthy and can keep opposing guards in front of him better it will be a huge advantage over last year.

bartron_44
08-07-2009, 08:38 AM
I would like to see:

1) Barg's staying involved in the offense. With the addition of Turk and DD, and the existence of CB4, I do not want to see him getting lost in the offense. Maybe some pick and rolls with Calderon to get a smaller defender on him, and get him going to the basket more.

2) A low post game, like a baby hook used more by Bosh and Bargs. Our 'post' players are not that good with their back's to the basket down low imo, and need to work on a couple more post moves instead of just shooting face up 15 foot jumpers (Bosh), and relying on 3pt shooting (Bargs) to score their points.

3)More toughness defending our own paint. We were too afraid to law the smack down on people taking it to the basket on our home court last year. Hopefully Evans,a stronger CB4, and a more confident Barg's will help that.

4) More running off defensive rebounds. If Derozan is in the starting lineup, just toss it out and let him finish over people!If he is on the second unit with JJ, those 2 could be lethal on the fast break!

5) Ball movement,. We have alot of people who can score on our starting unit, and we need to keep everyone involved. Jose will do a good kob at spreading it around, but its the 2nd and 3rd passes that get people WIDE open. Hopefully there are no black holes this year when they try to swing the ball..

Byronicle
08-07-2009, 08:45 AM
I wonder whether there will be more points scored because we be missing less often or less points scored because we will be slower? but the addition of Hedo should make us score more no?

swoop
08-07-2009, 09:11 AM
i believe they値l return to the style that won them 47 games a couple of years ago, where the ball was always in motion. For me that was the biggest difference between that year and the next two.

If you remember they started horribly that year, but bosh got injured and they had to rely on constant ball movement during that time and it worked! While bosh was out, he watched and realized that this european style really can work. When he came back, he bought into that style of play and the raptors were really good.

The last two years we致e seen a slow and steady decline of that style; where the ball was no longer moving and people were just standing around and watching others try and do it all themselves. O地eal, moon, parker, bosh, graham, and bargs all seem to suffer from the idea that they could just allow the ball to stop at them, wait for the defence to adjust, and then try and score all by themselves. This style is fine if you have lebron or carter-type players, but not with the roster the raptors have.

The addition of turkoglu, rasho and jack will hopefully facilitate this ball motion style even more. I find this style of basketball much more ascetically pleasing than a typical run and gun style of play. And i think it is more conducive to playoff basketball for a team without a superstar go-to player.

I doubt anyone will know how they good or bad they will be defensively until we see this unit together. Ivaroni will hopefully help, and making other teams work on the defensive end may also be a positive. If calderon is healthy and can keep opposing guards in front of him better it will be a huge advantage over last year.

yes.

Frank Costanza
08-07-2009, 09:24 AM
I believe they値l return to the style that won them 47 games a couple of years ago, where the ball was always in motion. For me that was the biggest difference between that year and the next two.

If you remember they started horribly that year, but bosh got injured and they had to rely on constant ball movement during that time and it worked! While Bosh was out, he watched and realized that this European style really can work. When he came back, he bought into that style of play and the raptors were really good.

The last two years we致e seen a slow and steady decline of that style; where the ball was no longer moving and people were just standing around and watching others try and do it all themselves. O誰eal, Moon, Parker, Bosh, Graham, and Bargs all seem to suffer from the idea that they could just allow the ball to stop at them, wait for the defence to adjust, and then try and score all by themselves. This style is fine if you have Lebron or Carter-type players, but not with the roster the Raptors have.

The addition of Turkoglu, Rasho and Jack will hopefully facilitate this ball motion style even more. I find this style of basketball much more ascetically pleasing than a typical run and gun style of play. And I think it is more conducive to playoff basketball for a team without a superstar go-to player.

I doubt anyone will know how they good or bad they will be defensively until we see this unit together. Ivaroni will hopefully help, and making other teams work on the defensive end may also be a positive. If Calderon is healthy and can keep opposing guards in front of him better it will be a huge advantage over last year.

couldnt have said it better myself +100

nbaguy123
08-07-2009, 09:54 AM
maybe jay will try the team USA type of basketball, since he is an assistant of USA

katman
08-07-2009, 10:24 AM
maybe jay will try the team USA type of basketball, since he is an assistant of USA

Actually Jay isn't really an assistant, Coach K just gets Jay to run the try outs. Still says something about the respect he gets.

katman
08-07-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm not sure what kind of basketball the team will/should play. But there is some things I'd like to see (and people don't start whining about rebounds).
> More toughness, push the Celtics around, then they backdown like a yappy little dog
> Run & gun when your opposition is a slow half court team like the Cavs will be with Shaq
> Slow it down when you play a better running team like the Knicks
> and finally, pass the damned ball and the get the wide open shot or drive

datpif
08-07-2009, 10:58 AM
More of an up and down the court type of team with Derozan on the wing, also expect a lot of 3's with Turkoglu in the mix now. Lack of D from our starting five maybe a problem though. We gotta look to outscore teams to get wins.

THiiRTYONE
08-07-2009, 11:36 AM
lets say bargnani is on bench and bosh becomes center along with evans, then raps can be a running team. however i dont see them much of a running team because turk and bosh often get their shots in isolations and screens

dhalvarez
08-07-2009, 01:36 PM
I think they will play the running game similiar to what they did at the end of last season. I know that Jay and BC both prefer that style, compared to the Sam Mitchell half court play calling.

They will use a lot of pick and rolls. Calderon and Hedo are both great at that.

there will also be a lot of spacing, like how Orlando was last year.

p.s. Orlando lost that part of the game with Hedo gone.

ChongInc.
08-07-2009, 09:20 PM
With Jay Triano now the official headcoach and that he can preach his principles to his disciples, how do you think the Raptors are going to play? Like Mike D'Antoni's run and gun style? Half court basketball with tons of screens? Pick and Roll with Calderon and Bosh? Crazy about offence or defence???

And How are we going to get these points? Drives? Are we going to rely heavy on the 3point shooting like we have maybe the past 2-3 years? Are we going to improve our transition points or points in the key?

How do you prefer it to be? Personally i like the run and gun style because it is exciting but there should be a on and off switch, turn on when appropriate and turn off when half-court offence would be sufficient.

I just want to know what people expect the Raptors to play like this upcoming season :B <---by the way thats a face with a double tongue

i think they are going to run off of rebounds, and try to push the ball.
but if they cant, they wont lose any production with turk and calderon running the half court game.
i specifically remember triano putting his foot down about how the raptors played defense under the smitch. he said that they would no longer just react to how teams played them, the would not allow opposing teams to get into the paint. and i see this happening again. team defense with a purpose.
i see the raptors taking a lot of mid-range jumpers, with about as many layups as 3's.

and that face (:B) looks like a dude with buck teeth lol

Raps08-09 Champ
08-07-2009, 09:22 PM
He said he likes fast pace game but not too fast that there is good defense.

14 second or less makes sense.

ink
08-07-2009, 09:23 PM
I believe they’ll return to the style that won them 47 games a couple of years ago, where the ball was always in motion. For me that was the biggest difference between that year and the next two.

The last two years we’ve seen a slow and steady decline of that style; where the ball was no longer moving and people were just standing around and watching others try and do it all themselves. O’Neal, Moon, Parker, Bosh, Graham, and Bargs all seem to suffer from the idea that they could just allow the ball to stop at them, wait for the defence to adjust, and then try and score all by themselves. This style is fine if you have Lebron or Carter-type players, but not with the roster the Raptors have.

Nice post. Sums it up perfectly.

Byronicle
08-07-2009, 09:42 PM
and that face (:B) looks like a dude with buck teeth lol

use it wisely young padawan