PDA

View Full Version : Why does everybody assume Lebron will stay in Cleveland?

King P
08-05-2009, 05:03 PM
Everytime people bring up the stuff about Lebron, it's always he isnt going anywhere in 2010. He's staying in Cleveland and laugh at me for being a Nets fan who will be disappointed next season. But why does everybody assume he will stay. Nothing is definite in the NBA (or any sport for that matter).

Here are some posts buy some other posters in this forum about it:

"I remember a few weeks before the VC trade to Magics, and always thinking, VC will always be a Nets from now on and retire as a Nets. 2 weeks later, i wake up to news that VC is officially a Magician.

The point being is that you never know what may happen in the NBA, but one thing that is for sure, is that "money talks." Lebron can care less if he doesn't have a fantastic supporting cast. Look at the Cavs roster. If you say that that team has fantastic players other than Mo Williams, then well...you're probably mental.

As for DWade, i don't know too much about him and the trade situation, but offer the guy fair amounts of cash he wouldn't refuse.

I know if i had as much talent as either LBJ or DWade and go into a low class team, i would take the offer. You get much more publicity, which is what any NBA player wants, you become the "hero", and you have a legacy.

Best example so far: Jason Kidd. Not the money area, but you get what i mean. Enough said."

"Who the hell knew KG would get traded to Boston? KG initally said there isn't a chance he goes to Boston but he still ended up there. So whose to say LeBron James won't come here and play in the swamp for a year before going to the Rock in Newark or Barclays in Brooklyn. I don't think he'll refuse a $100 million offer over 5 years from the Nets. ( if that's what Rod and Kiki plan on giving him)."

I'm not saying he wont stay in Cleveland. All i'm saying is to assume that he will stay in Cleveland and tell everybody who thinks otherwise is crazy, that in itself is crazy. Nothing is predictable in sports

Jays Claw
08-05-2009, 05:06 PM
:laugh2:

Bruno
08-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Because everybody is assuming that the king wants to win a title, and The Cavs have one of the best defensive teams in the NBA. If you're from Cleveland and your team is good enough to win 66 games, and you just got Shaq- why would you leave?

Kidd>>>K-Mart
08-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Good facts, and yes I agree.

tland22
08-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Quit dreaming man...LeBron isnt coming to your team.

Give me reasons why we should assume otherwise? Why leave Clev?

IversonIsKrazy
08-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Why would he leave?? 66wins + Shaq for Brooklyn and maybe other FA's will join.

He grew up in Ohio, his hometown, he won 66 games last year, got to the EAstern Conference FInals, they improved by trading for Shaq, signing ANthony Parker & Jamario Moon.

DCSportsIsPain
08-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Let's not forget the Cavs can pay LeBron more than anyone else can under the CBA.

LakersSaintsLSU
08-05-2009, 05:33 PM
why would he leave,seriously? he has clevevand by the balls from the floor to the front office up to the owner.LBJ is the MAN in CLE he knows that!!!Its all about the money and the hype that goes with it.To get the biggest contract out of the highest bidder(which will be cleveland)

JVene
08-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Welcome to New York!!!

icon1914
08-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Are you comparing KG and Vince Carter's situations to LeBron's? VC is very close to being over the hill. He has a huge contract and the nets were not winning a title with him.... trading him makes sense financially... simple as that.

KG was traded to Boston because he was not going to win a thing in Minny, plus Boston had young pieces that the Wolves could build around. KG goes to a playoff team, Minny gets young, a win win for everyone.

Neither KG or VC were a free agents. They did not have full control on whether to leave or where to.... neither person played on a championship caliber team either.

Your examples are not good enough to prove your point. If you wanna use an example use Shaq leaving Orlando for a decent team like the 96-97 Lakers. Orlando was a solid team (better than LA at the time), probably would have won eventually, but Shaq wanted to leave. He left on his on... no trade, his choice. I'm not so sure LeBron will easily choose to leave Cleveland.

James plays on a very solid team that won 66 games last year. They might not have all star caliber players but they are a very good team. If he wins this year I'm not so sure he would leave. Me being a Knicks fan thinks it would be great for him to come to the big apple, but I'm not seeing it.

The only thing that I can see making him bolt is if Cleveland does not make a move to bring in a solid Free Agent next year for him to play alongside in the future.... or if he really wants to play in a large market... I'm just not sure if he is ready to be hated by his home state to get a bigger payday(endorsement wise).

Shaq had no ties to Orlando... just the city that drafted him... LeBron has ties... I don't think anyone can honestly say he is ready to cut them.

philab
08-05-2009, 06:06 PM
You've got some selective memory there, pal.

For the past four years I've read little beyond "LeBron is so gone. Sorry Cleveland."

Now, there is a small (and possibly growing) minority that thinks he'll stay. I'd hardly call that "everyone" though.

TheKing23
08-05-2009, 06:10 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/ecko-man/coleman_wtf.gif

king4day
08-05-2009, 06:13 PM
He can make more money for longer if he stays in Cle. But if he goes to NY, he can make more in endorsements (I have no idea how).
It'll come down to, where does he want to spend the next 5 or 6 years of his life.

stawka
08-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Everybody assumes he will be LEAVING Cleveland. Almost everybody except Cavs fans - ESPECIALLY Knicks/Nets fans. Hell, Knick fans think they'll sign LeBron to a max deal, Bosh will sign to a Vet's minimum, and Wade will join in on the action and take vet's minimum as well.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Actually, you people assume he goes to NY.

King P
08-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Because everybody is assuming that the king wants to win a title, and The Cavs have one of the best defensive teams in the NBA. If you're from Cleveland and your team is good enough to win 66 games, and you just got Shaq- why would you leave?
Shaq is retiring after this season. Illgauskas will most likely be gone. And he wants alot of money, and the Knicks and Nets will have the money
And the Nets have alot of young talent and much potential.
Devin Harris
Courtney Lee
Chris Douglas-Roberts
Terrance Williams
Yi
Brook Lopez

Throw Lebron in the mix, and you have a team which is a legitimate contender

Vinsane#15
08-05-2009, 08:01 PM
Look at it from this perspective... Shaq came into Cleveland to get them over the hump, right? Well lets predict that Cleveland doesn't win the title this year, then LeBron is pretty much a goner. If you look at the teams in the East that have improved such as Orlando( who I believe is going to repeat as East champs) and Boston( with the addition of Rasheed and KG returning) the Cavs don't have the firepower to beat either one of them in my book. Whose to say Shaq's body won't give in to the beating he's taken the past god knows how many years. If he goes down and the Cavs struggle, You can pretty much guarantee a headline of " I want out of Cleveland". Which in turn may leave the door open for a trade THIS season before the offseason even starts. EVERY GM will get on the phone with the Cavs FO to attempt to lure LeBron to their teams. Remember, this is assuming the Cavs suck by MID season. Another way of looking at it is, The Cavs do well throughout the season but end up losing in the Eastern Semis or Conference finals again. Guess what LeBron's gonna say when asked about 2010.... "I love Cleveland, but i'm going to keep my options open". Either scenario spells doom for the Cavs organization.

The Nets for example, are a team build to have a player like James lead them. They have youth, A BUNCH OF CAP ROOM, expiring contracts, and last but not least, two 2010 draft picks, one of which will be in the lottery, I believe number 5.... A deep draft to I might add. Do I believe the Nets have a shot to land LeBron, You damn right they do. Not just LeBron but D Wade and Chris Bosh too.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Shaq is retiring after this season. Illgauskas will most likely be gone. And he wants alot of money, and the Knicks and Nets will have the money
And the Nets have alot of young talent and much potential.
Devin Harris
Courtney Lee
Chris Douglas-Roberts
Terrance Williams
Yi
Brook Lopez

Throw Lebron in the mix, and you have a team which is a legitimate contender

Well if he wanted to win, he wouldn't go to NY or Nets then would he?

magichatnumber9
08-05-2009, 08:14 PM
I do

29$JerZ
08-05-2009, 08:17 PM
He si going to NY duh

Fire Girardi
08-05-2009, 08:20 PM

hahaha who cares how many games they won, regualr season means nothing and they got shaq, who cares it still wont help him win it all

KnicksR4Real
08-05-2009, 08:29 PM
To be honest if he's smart he'll stay

cowboyz180
08-05-2009, 08:29 PM
i dont think he'll leave cleveland

TheKing23
08-05-2009, 09:20 PM
It's funny... Pretty much everyone who has posted saying he will leave is either a Nets fan or a Knicks fan. They're in denial... They've read the countless articles predicting LeBron to stay in Cleveland and seen Danny Ferry do everything humanly possible to build a team around him.

Look at the factors that will contribute to LeBron choosing his team in 2010:

Desire to win a championship
LeBron has stated many times how he wants to establish his dynasty in the league and bring a championship to a city that's been starved of any major sporting honors for 45 years. He is the main guy in a contending team, he has the front office by the balls and they will do anything for him, and he is in his hometown. What makes everyone think that he's just gonna up and leave a top 3 team in the NBA to join a rebuilding team like the Knicks or Nets?? He'll have to go through that process all over again and could be 27-28 before he's contending again, if ever. If he wants to establish himself as the G.O.A.T, he's gonna have to at least match Jordan's 6 rings and time is always gonna be against you in such a competitive league.

Money
LeBron wants to be the first billionaire sportsman. If he re-signs with Cleveland, they can offer him more than anyone else due to the intricate stipulations in the NBA regarding contracts. The financial climate and decreasing salary cap is making it hard enough for teams to sign one max contract player in 2010, let alone the two, which many teams are promising. Apparently, LeBron will make more money if he moves to New York... Take a look around Times Square, you already see those LeBron James billboards?? It doesn't matter if he plays in Cleveland or New York, he will continue to be the most marketed player in NBA history and the league today. He will still get his money.

Face it, the possibility of him leaving is minimal. Of course there is the chance that he may leave, there always will be, the league is an unpredictable place, but factors for him staying at Cleveland appear overwhelming.

Pierzynski4Prez
08-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Really??? We have to have this thread? It was so peaceful for a while.

Nobody knows what he's going to do man. There is so much that can happen between now and then that could heavily sway him either way. No point in continually having this argument. Everyone makes good points, but in reality, nobody listens to the other point of view. Everybody out east says he's coming there of course, everybody else says he's staying.

Robbw241
08-05-2009, 09:46 PM
I doubt we sign him but we can dream :shrug:

brownies23
08-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Look at it from this perspective... Shaq came into Cleveland to get them over the hump, right? Well lets predict that Cleveland doesn't win the title this year, then LeBron is pretty much a goner. If you look at the teams in the East that have improved such as Orlando( who I believe is going to repeat as East champs) and Boston( with the addition of Rasheed and KG returning) the Cavs don't have the firepower to beat either one of them in my book. Whose to say Shaq's body won't give in to the beating he's taken the past god knows how many years. If he goes down and the Cavs struggle, You can pretty much guarantee a headline of " I want out of Cleveland". Which in turn may leave the door open for a trade THIS season before the offseason even starts. EVERY GM will get on the phone with the Cavs FO to attempt to lure LeBron to their teams. Remember, this is assuming the Cavs suck by MID season. Another way of looking at it is, The Cavs do well throughout the season but end up losing in the Eastern Semis or Conference finals again. Guess what LeBron's gonna say when asked about 2010.... "I love Cleveland, but i'm going to keep my options open". Either scenario spells doom for the Cavs organization.

The Nets for example, are a team build to have a player like James lead them. They have youth, A BUNCH OF CAP ROOM, expiring contracts, and last but not least, two 2010 draft picks, one of which will be in the lottery, I believe number 5.... A deep draft to I might add. Do I believe the Nets have a shot to land LeBron, You damn right they do. Not just LeBron but D Wade and Chris Bosh too.

You clearly are letting the love for your own team confuse you.It is almost physically impossible for anyone, let alone the nets sign lebron plus D Wade or Chris Bosh.All 3 of those players are worth max contracts, and with the drop in cap expected after this season, there is no way a team could sign 2 players 2 max contracts in the same season. The only teams that could possibly do that is the cavs and the heat because they are able to offer more 2 lebron and D wade respectively and another player because their offer to either lebron and/or D Wade are their players already so their contracts can go over the normal cap as long as it doesn't put that team over the Hard Cap.

So by simple logic if any team can offer the best option of adding another all-star quality player 2 their team along with resigning their own star it would be the cavs and/or the heat.

However, as a Cavs fan, i still understand that a player of lebron's caliber might prefer a bigger market to play in, and may choose a smaller contract to play in either New York, or New Jersey/ possibly Brooklyn, but i think that if we do as good, or better then last year, and show lebron that we are willing to try everything in our ability to bring in another all-star, that he will stay in his home state, thats just my opinion.

Vinsane#15
08-05-2009, 10:24 PM
I didn't mean to say we can sign TWO GUYS. I mean that we have a very good possibility at signing LeBron OR D Wade, not both. And I am by no means trying to be bias. It's true. If LeBron wanted to sign an extension right away with Cleveland, he would have done it already. It's rather obvious, and even a blind man can see this that if he refused to sign a contract extension with Cleveland, he's going to test the free agent market. It's the same case with Dwayne Wade. He specifically said that " If I'm going to sign an extension, I want this team to be built as a contender" or something along those lines.

LeBron James and D Wade are both going to test the FA waters, and don't be surprised if both are on different teams next year.

Toenail Clipper
08-05-2009, 11:15 PM
The only reason why he would move out is because he wants to gain publicity.
New York, New Jersey, and Chicago are bigger cities, therefore, he wants to move there.
YAY

Vinsane#15
08-05-2009, 11:26 PM
The only reason why he would move out is because he wants to gain publicity.
New York, New Jersey, and Chicago are bigger cities, therefore, he wants to move there.
YAY

Jersey isn't a city, it's a state... It wouldn't give Bron publicity. It would be the other way around as i'm sure Bron Bron can attract 20,000 people to the IZOD center easily as witnessed throughout previous years at the IZOD center.

TheKing23
08-05-2009, 11:30 PM
I didn't mean to say we can sign TWO GUYS. I mean that we have a very good possibility at signing LeBron OR D Wade, not both. And I am by no means trying to be bias. It's true. If LeBron wanted to sign an extension right away with Cleveland, he would have done it already. It's rather obvious, and even a blind man can see this that if he refused to sign a contract extension with Cleveland, he's going to test the free agent market. It's the same case with Dwayne Wade. He specifically said that " If I'm going to sign an extension, I want this team to be built as a contender" or something along those lines.

LeBron James and D Wade are both going to test the FA waters, and don't be surprised if both are on different teams next year.

He's not signing an extension now because it isn't worth it. If he did, the maximum he can sign for is three years at about $60m. Same for D-Wade. He'll wait until 2010, build up the hype and keep everyone second guessing his actions and then sign a six year deal worth $130m or so.

vigilantex69
08-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Yea from what I hear he would go to New York, but at this point neither New York or New Jersey would give him a chance to win anytime soon no matter how much money he makes.

Vinsane#15
08-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Yea from what I hear he would go to New York, but at this point neither New York or New Jersey would give him a chance to win anytime soon no matter how much money he makes.

Lets pretend The Cavs never had Bron Bron....

They were clearing cap room for him and they have Sasha, Anderson, an old Shaq, Mo Williams, and Delonte West.

Does that sound more enticing then DH34, BLopez, T-Will, Courtney Lee, Dooling, CDR, Hayes, Yi? HELL NO.

If you put LeBron on the Nets NOW, we would win a championship.

Kobe4Life
08-05-2009, 11:57 PM
80% Chance Lebron stays, guaranteed 100% chance he ain't leaving to another team that dont have the pieces to accompany him. Right now Knicks/Nets dont look to good and thats the only real other place he would go. I'm not sure what the hell heat fans are thinking that Pat Rileys secret plans are to sign him LOLLLLLLLL. But then again they thought they would really get odom and boozer LOL. Yeah like Lebron wants to paly with camera happy dwayde in Florida LOL, great place to market yourself not to mention your team is 4 scrubs with 1 allstar. how come dwayde hasnt signed an extension? Yeah. He rather play on a team who has potential. good luck pursuing lebron.

Sportscenterman
08-06-2009, 12:14 AM
He can make more money for longer if he stays in Cle. But if he goes to NY, he can make more in endorsements (I have no idea how).
It'll come down to, where does he want to spend the next 5 or 6 years of his life.

He can make more on endorsements because being in or near a big city like NYC which the knicks or the nets provide means a company is willing to shell out more. NYC is a much larger and lets be honest, better city. The city so nice they named it twice. He has two compelling choices, the city that loves him because he is a native of that city, or a larger city which offers more money and will embrace him as their own. I'd say 65% chance he stays and a 35% he leaves, maybe more like 70 or 75 percent though if i'm hones with myself

Vinsane#15
08-06-2009, 12:18 AM
you can't make any judgements until the season is finished. And to be honest, the chances of him leaving are greater IMO then they are of him staying only because Cle. HAS TO WIN this year. If you think realistically, the Cavs won't win a ring this year. He won't resign if they lose this year, so the pressure is on the Cavs BIG TIME.

nyyankees09
08-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Well if he wanted to win, he wouldn't go to NY or Nets then would he?

If the Nets had LeBron they would win. Plus they have cap for another max player and two 2010 first round draft picks along with Devin and Brook. That team would definetly win.

_KB24_
08-06-2009, 12:49 AM
Hes gonna go for the money. I doubt that he will leave CLev, unless the Knicks somehow glamor him up with NY.

Zefflin
08-06-2009, 01:25 AM
If the Nets had LeBron they would win. Plus they have cap for another max player and two 2010 first round draft picks along with Devin and Brook. That team would definetly win.

If he leaves which I think he will, he will go to either NYK or NJN...I never really thought about how he'd fit those teams profile but NJ would be a perfect place for Lebron to own.

RapOZo
08-06-2009, 01:28 AM
Lebron welcome to the brooklyn nets!!

Raps08-09 Champ
08-06-2009, 01:30 AM

He can also go to Miami with Wade, Chalmers, Beasley and all the veterans would go there.

Most assume NY and Jersey is first.

How do we know the Cavs won't pull a trade to get someone like Redd or other :washed up" stars?

There are more options and better chances of winning than going to NY or Jersey.

D-Will4Prez
08-06-2009, 01:41 AM
It depends on how good LeBron/Shaq duo is.

Lakers4ItAll
08-06-2009, 02:43 AM
I for one would like Lebron to go to the Knicks and make them a contender again rather than Cleveland.

xSolidx
08-06-2009, 02:54 AM
I usually hate all the LeBron talk

But i hate the argument when someone says, "Why would he leave Clevleland to play for a bum team like the Knicks or Nets etc"

First of all, you take away LeBron from the Cavs, and the Cavs are a bum team. If you add LeBron to the Nets or Knicks, they instantly become better because LeBron makes his teammates better. The Cavs have made some additions with Shaq and Mo Williams last yr, but even before they added those two, Lebron made it to the finals with scrub teammates. Lets face it, LeBron had a joke of teammates back when they played the Spurs in the finals, but he still carried that team and made it regardless

Im not one of those Knick fans who blindly thinks LeBron is coming here. But one thing the Knicks desperately needed is 1 true star, we havent had one since Ewing left, and we have sucked ever since then. The reason WHY we sucked so much the past few yrs is because we had a team full of role players, and not 1 true star.

Same thing goes for the Nets or any other team thats rumored to sign LeBron.

Point is, that whole argument isnt very good to me. The Cavs without LeBron will find themselves near the bottom of the conference.

RaysFan
08-06-2009, 09:59 AM

No it won't. It will come down to where he thinks he can win and any ties go to Cleveland because LeBron knows that if he leaves Cleveland without ever winning a title then it is a mark against him no matter what he does the rest of his career. Magic, Bird, Michael, etc all did it with the team that drafted them.

The only place that makes sense for LeBron is Brooklyn and it doesn't seem like the Nets will be moving there. The Nets have some good young talent and enough cap-space to sign TWO free-agents.

In the end he stays in Cleveland and they win a title within the next 3 years.

RaysFan
08-06-2009, 10:13 AM
LeBron is from NE Ohio. His entire family is from NE Ohio. His kids were born in NE Ohio. His GF is from NE Ohio. Her family is from NE Ohio. LeBron has a VERY strong bond to the place he grew up. Remember that he decided to hold his MVP award announcement at his old HS. He constantly shows up at St. Vincent. St. Marry football and basketball games.

LeBron also knows the entire region of NE Ohio loves him. Cleveland has packed the Q on a consistent basis. The entire city of Cleveland has REALLY gotten behind the team. LeBron knows that. He also knows how crushing it would be to everyone in his home-town if he left. He knows everyone would be crushed if he left. Dan Gilbert has also done everything he could to appease him. Everything. He has spent money, he has gone out of his way to help his family/friends, and he has done LeBron personal favors like get him invited to the ULTRA-exclusive Sun Valley Media Conference. If you don't know what that is then look it up. Gilbert went out of his way to get Bron an invitation to the event.

Now think about it...would he really do that to his city? His hometown? After everything the organization has done for him? I just don't see it man, not at all. It's not like LeBron hates NE Ohio and loves the big city. He built a tremendous new home in the suburbs that is like a freaking palace with a casino and a barbershop. It is amazing. And it isn't like LeBron has to live in Cleveland all year anyway. He gets all summer and half of fall to enjoy himself and half the time during the winter and spring he is traveling anyway.

Look, it just doesn't make sense. It really doesn't.

Vinsane#15
08-06-2009, 10:31 AM
LeBron is from NE Ohio. His entire family is from NE Ohio. His kids were born in NE Ohio. His GF is from NE Ohio. Her family is from NE Ohio. LeBron has a VERY strong bond to the place he grew up. Remember that he decided to hold his MVP award announcement at his old HS. He constantly shows up at St. Vincent. St. Marry football and basketball games.

LeBron also knows the entire region of NE Ohio loves him. Cleveland has packed the Q on a consistent basis. The entire city of Cleveland has REALLY gotten behind the team. LeBron knows that. He also knows how crushing it would be to everyone in his home-town if he left. He knows everyone would be crushed if he left. Dan Gilbert has also done everything he could to appease him. Everything. He has spent money, he has gone out of his way to help his family/friends, and he has done LeBron personal favors like get him invited to the ULTRA-exclusive Sun Valley Media Conference. If you don't know what that is then look it up. Gilbert went out of his way to get Bron an invitation to the event.

Now think about it...would he really do that to his city? His hometown? After everything the organization has done for him? I just don't see it man, not at all. It's not like LeBron hates NE Ohio and loves the big city. He built a tremendous new home in the suburbs that is like a freaking palace with a casino and a barbershop. It is amazing. And it isn't like LeBron has to live in Cleveland all year anyway. He gets all summer and half of fall to enjoy himself and half the time during the winter and spring he is traveling anyway.

Look, it just doesn't make sense. It really doesn't.

You're looking at it from one perspective. And that's his personal relationship to Cleveland. You're in denial that if his team does not win this year, he could jounce within the blink of an eye. As stated before, Cleveland is in a VERY DANGEROUS situation right now. The pressure is on the team as a hole to win, if Shaq doesn't get it done with LeBron, he WILL be disgruntled and sign with another team.

AntwanN21
08-06-2009, 10:34 AM
im confused im pretty sure everybody assumes he is leaving cleveland for a bigger market

tbo41fan
08-06-2009, 10:53 AM
I agree that Lebron will go to a high market team that will win with them there... The Big Market teams with cap are Chicago, New Jersey, and New York.

I don't see him coming to Chicago, although with him and Rose, they would be good, but I don't see it happening, if he did come to Chicago however I think they would win immediately (which is what Lebron wants)

New Jersey I don't see happening either because they are young and even with Lebron are another 2-3 years from winning a championship IMO

New York would be the best fit, however again it's a case that even with Lebron, they won't win a championship with their current roster + Lebron

Therefore, I believe he will ultimately stay in Cleveland because...

1. They will offer the most money
2. It's his home town and im sure he would like to stay there...

This is entirely my opinion and I dont mean to offend anyones teams or nothing, just wanted to put my 2 cents in...

Jays Claw
08-06-2009, 11:08 AM
If the the Cavs ultimately fail with the whole Shaq experiment and show LeBron that they can't win then there is a 70% chance LeBron might leave.

However if the Cavs go on to win a championship and show LeBron that they can win for many years to come then LeBron would not move from Cleveland and play the rest of his career in his hometown.

Jays Claw
08-06-2009, 11:12 AM
The pressure is on the Cavaliers to win now!

macc
08-06-2009, 11:13 AM
I don't really quite understand this thread because when I read peoples posts it seems like the majority of people think he's leaving. Reguardless I hope he stays in Cleveland, for a couple reasons. 1) I'm a Magic fan and i like the Orlando/Cleveland rivarly thats been going on the last few years and 2) I feel bad for Cleveland fans. They haven't had anyone this good ever, or even close to it. Give the Cavs fans somthing to cheer about since they haven't had anything for years and years.

All this going to New York for a bigger market argument is sooo stupid imo. You don't have to live in NY to get endorsements. If you're a big time player, people will come to you. Take a look at the people who made the most money in sports last year.

Tiger Woods - Jupiter Island (where?) Florida

Oscar De La Hoya - Big Bear Lake, CA

Phil Mickelson - Rancho Santa FE, CA

David Beckham - LA, CA

Kobe Bryant - LA, CA

Peyton Manning - Indianapolis IN

Dale Earnhardt jr - Mooresville, NC

Kevin Garnett - Boston, MS

Jeff Gordon - Charlotte, NC

Shaq - Orlando, FL

Michael Jordan - Wilmington, NC

These are some of the top 20 highest paid athletes with salaries and endorsements. Only two actually live in New York and that's Derek Jeter and A Rod. I'm sorry but you don't have to live in NY to get endorsements. If your name is Lebron James you're going to get endorsements anywhere you're at. So please stop with the "he has to leave Cleveland to get endorsements in a bigger market" because honestly that's such a stupid thing to say.

North Carolina has more top 20 paid athletes than NY.

RaysFan
08-06-2009, 11:23 AM
You're looking at it from one perspective. And that's his personal relationship to Cleveland. You're in denial that if his team does not win this year, he could jounce within the blink of an eye. As stated before, Cleveland is in a VERY DANGEROUS situation right now. The pressure is on the team as a hole to win, if Shaq doesn't get it done with LeBron, he WILL be disgruntled and sign with another team.

This is absurd. "Could" it happen? Sure. I really, REALLY doubt it...but sure. You talking like it is a fact is just foolish...and that is me putting it nicely. But if he does then it will be to a team like Portland or the Lakers in a sign and trade. It won't be to New York where he would have to play with an even worse surrounding cast and he won't play for freaking New Jersey unless they become Brooklyn.

ko8e24
08-06-2009, 11:28 AM
God is scared of LeBron

nothin but net
08-06-2009, 11:39 AM
if lebron wants to become more of a global icon, hes gotta go to New York. if he wants to expand his name, biggest market in the world is where he has to do it. i think itd be better for the human race.

prs
08-06-2009, 12:14 PM
All this going to New York for a bigger market argument is sooo stupid imo. You don't have to live in NY to get endorsements. If you're a big time player, people will come to you. Take a look at the people who made the most money in sports last year.

Tiger Woods - Jupiter Island (where?) Florida

Oscar De La Hoya - Big Bear Lake, CA

Phil Mickelson - Rancho Santa FE, CA

David Beckham - LA, CA

Kobe Bryant - LA, CA

Peyton Manning - Indianapolis IN

Dale Earnhardt jr - Mooresville, NC

Kevin Garnett - Boston, MS

Jeff Gordon - Charlotte, NC

Shaq - Orlando, FL

Michael Jordan - Wilmington, NC

These are some of the top 20 highest paid athletes with salaries and endorsements. Only two actually live in New York and that's Derek Jeter and A Rod. I'm sorry but you don't have to live in NY to get endorsements. If your name is Lebron James you're going to get endorsements anywhere you're at. So please stop with the "he has to leave Cleveland to get endorsements in a bigger market" because honestly that's such a stupid thing to say.

North Carolina has more top 20 paid athletes than NY.

Use some logic. Everyone on that list other than Peyton Manning either made their name in a big market or is an athlete in an individual sport. Does Tiger Woods play for team Florida? Does Dale Earnhardt Jr. race for NC?

Then in the top20 we have 2 of are very few current sports stars. Both of those players make the most money out of indorsements in baseball and they aren't even the best players in baseball, Jeter is far from it nowadays. Eli will probably be on it now with his new contract. Other than that we only have other baseball stars and baseball isn't really big indorsement wise.

The Knicks are a losing team and they are still 4th in NBA merchandise sold. Nate Robinson was the 10th most sold jersey and hes not even a star. If Lebron goes to NY it could mean many more shoe sales for Nike. His jersey will easily be the #1 sold instead of him being stuck at #3. A bigger market is a bigger market... I don't see why its so hard for some people to understand.

Also the whole dynasty thing other people are saying doesn't make sense either. blah blah Lebron would have a bigger legacy if he made champions out of a losing franchise. Ya whatever, and KG would have a bigger legacy if he won with the Twolves right? Nope he wouldn't. Lebron would have a bigger legacy if he brought a big franchise like NY back to the top of league. Just like how the big 3 are huge in Boston.

Personally I don't care if he comes to the Knicks or not but some of you are completely off on the business side of things.

macc
08-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Use some logic. Everyone on that list other than Peyton Manning either made their name in a big market or is an athlete in an individual sport. Does Tiger Woods play for team Florida? Does Dale Earnhardt Jr. race for NC?

Then in the top20 we have 2 of are very few current sports stars. Both of those players make the most money out of indorsements in baseball and they aren't even the best players in baseball, Jeter is far from it nowadays. Eli will probably be on it now with his new contract. Other than that we only have other baseball stars and baseball isn't really big indorsement wise.

The Knicks are a losing team and they are still 4th in NBA merchandise sold. Nate Robinson was the 10th most sold jersey and hes not even a star. If Lebron goes to NY it could mean many more shoe sales for Nike. His jersey will easily be the #1 sold instead of him being stuck at #3. A bigger market is a bigger market... I don't see why its so hard for some people to understand.

Also the whole dynasty thing other people are saying doesn't make sense either. blah blah Lebron would have a bigger legacy if he made champions out of a losing franchise. Ya whatever, and KG would have a bigger legacy if he won with the Twolves right? Nope he wouldn't. Lebron would have a bigger legacy if he brought a big franchise like NY back to the top of league. Just like how the big 3 are huge in Boston.

Personally I don't care if he comes to the Knicks or not but some of you are completely off on the business side of things.

A bigger market does mean somthing to certain types of players. Lebron James is a house hold name, hes not gonna sell more shoes if he lives in New York, it doesn't matter where he lives, people are going to buy his shoes reguardless of what team he plays for. Now if we're talking about a guy like Jamal Crawford or a Ben Gordan. I agree, his name would be more out there if they were in NY and he would prob get more deals, but in the case of Lebron James, I'm sorry, his name sells itself. You're not going to convince me otherwise.

Michael Jordan hasn't played on any team in some years and he's always in the top 20 every year. Realize we are talking about "individual pay and endorsments" I don't care how much the New York Knick organization makes in a year. "Individual" is the argument here. Yes he'll prob sell more jerseys in NY because theres prob more people in New York than the entire state of Ohio but my deal is hes gonna get his endorsements, he's gonna be a global icon, it doesn't matter what team he plays for. Savy

NYY 26 to 7
08-06-2009, 01:02 PM
have you people ever been to Cleveland? It sucks who would want to live there? I just had to spend 2 weeks there because my dad was out there and needed emergency heart surgery and even the people who live there hated it.

mdabstar
08-06-2009, 02:14 PM
omg the guy who created this KING P,from NY. you guys are just hoping LBJ joins ur team huh?? hahaha

JWO35
08-06-2009, 02:19 PM
If LeBron James doesn't win a NBA Championship the Upcoming Season, he will go to New York

King P
08-06-2009, 02:55 PM
omg the guy who created this KING P,from NY. you guys are just hoping LBJ joins ur team huh?? hahaha
yes i do hope he joins my Nets. But if he doesnt, then the world wont stop spinning for me.