PDA

View Full Version : #5 Player In the NBA Today: Volume 2

Mile High Champ
08-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Well the top 10 at each position is now complete, time to end it with the final poll's. This year we will have a vote to see who are the 10 best players in the NBA are. The format is the exact same so please make your vote for who you feel are the best player in the league. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for one day and than we can carry on to the next best player at that position. I will add more players after each round...Enjoy.

REMEMBER this is based on who is the best player, not the player who has the potential to be the best.

NBA Player Rankings DONT FORGET TO VOTE!!

1) Kobe Bryant
2) Lebron James
3) Dwayne Wade
4) Chris Paul
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

daleja424
08-05-2009, 11:30 AM
I had Dwight at 4...so gotta have him here...

Mile High Champ
08-05-2009, 11:32 AM
POLL is Now Up.....

Went with TD here, thought he should been top 3. Just goes to show you that fans like flashy over constant production.

Hawkeye15
08-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Dwight

J-Relo
08-05-2009, 11:40 AM
put Amare next time too..

tland22
08-05-2009, 11:40 AM
Duncan is surely a better all-around player than Howard

bigsams50
08-05-2009, 11:41 AM
dwight howard

Gibby23
08-05-2009, 11:49 AM
POLL is Now Up.....

Went with TD here, thought he should been top 3. Just goes to show you that fans like flashy over constant production.

I think it's kinda strange that you make these top 10 threads for people on PSD to vote and then you make comments like this to discredit the poll that you make.

DCSportsIsPain
08-05-2009, 12:02 PM
POLL is Now Up.....

Which is a polite way of saying fans aren't always the most intelligent people.
Good little men are a dime a dozen. Good big men are a rarity.
I have to agree. Duncan it is. He is a walking double-double when he and his teammates are healthy, a team leader, and a multiple champion, all in a seven foot package.

TheKing23
08-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Was very tempted to go with Tim Duncan but went with Carmelo in the end. The third most complete player in the NBA after LeBron and Kobe.

cowboyz180
08-05-2009, 12:07 PM
dirk

ManRam
08-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Toss up between Duncan and Howard. Duncan is leap years ahead offensively, but Howard's athleticism, age, and amazing defense give him the slight edge. He probably will win this vote, but he is far from a complete player. He's gotta work on his offense if he ever wants to become like Shaq was in his prime. Dirk should get some votes too, because offensively he is by far the best big man. Neither have the complete package though...like Duncan did 3 years ago.

tland22
08-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Howard isnt a SMART basketball player. He isnt a skilled one either. He 100% relies on his freakish athletic ability, strength and size. No talent at all around him. He just is bigger, stronger, and jumps higher than everyone else.

clutchski
08-05-2009, 12:16 PM
POLL is Now Up.....

I'm a bit surprised MHC, you shouldn't generalize all those votes.

MacFitz92
08-05-2009, 12:22 PM
POLL is Now Up.....

By saying this, you make this poll a slighlty less credible. There is not a chance in hell that Tim Duncan is a top 3. Really he isn't a top 10 anymore.

Do NOT get me wrong, 5-8 years ago, I would make a strong argument that Tim Duncan was the best in the NBA. And he really was. But his numbers only warrant him as about the 25th best player. But his defense is still strong, getting him around a ranking of 7-10 in the NBA.

People just love this guy and remember what he USED to do. I just wished they voted for him for what he does on the court nowadays.

And fyi, Dirk and KG are head and heals ahead of Tim Duncan right now. Shoot, Dirk could very well be the most underrated player in the league. He was 4th in the NBA in ppg last year behind Kobe, LJ23, and Wade. He is in his prime now, and has passed Duncan as the best PF. And even more so, his First team All-NBA PF warrants it...

I think CP3 is about the 4th best. He distributes, he scores, he plays defense. Only other argument is Dwight Howard. But he'll get the 5th spot.

Catfish1314
08-05-2009, 12:30 PM
And fyi, Dirk and KG are head and heals ahead of Tim Duncan right now. Shoot, Dirk could very well be the most underrated player in the league. He was 4th in the NBA in ppg last year behind Kobe, LJ23, and Wade. He is in his prime now, and has passed Duncan as the best PF. And even more so, his First team All-NBA PF warrants it...

How do figure that? Garnett you can make a case for because when healthy, he has a massive impact on the defensive end for any team he plays for and he's able to elevate the play of his teammates. But he's also the same age as Duncan.

I think people are putting too much stock into what Duncan did in the playoffs this year. The Spurs that were taken apart by the Mavericks, that was not the Spurs team we're used to. Manu Ginobili wasn't playing, Tony Parker was admittedly exhausted, and Duncan was coming off an injury. He wasn't himself and for that and other reasons, neither were the Spurs.

Duncan is still the most refined post player in the NBA. He's an elite defender, he makes others better, he's a great leader, and he plays his best when the stakes are highest. Until he's unable to do those things at the level he's doing them now when he's 100 percent healthy, he is still a top 5 player in NBA.

B.JenningsMVP
08-05-2009, 01:14 PM
Dwight

MilwaukeeBAller
08-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Its gotta be Dirk.

Unruly Fan
08-05-2009, 01:29 PM
POLL is Now Up.....

Went with TD here, thought he should been top 3. Just goes to show you that fans like flashy over constant production.I feel that DWade and LeBron deserve to be where they're at. Duncan could've been number 3 or 4 but I feel CP3 was alot more domineering. CP3: Led NBA in assts, steals, and avgd 20+ ppg. Accomplishments that shouldn't be ignored.

Anyhow I give Duncan the nod for the 5 spot.

JordansBulls
08-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Not sure how CP3 beat out Dwight when Dwight made the finals and CP3 lost in the 1st round and played terrible in it.

theuuord
08-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Not sure how CP3 beat out Dwight when Dwight made the finals and CP3 lost in the 1st round and played terrible in it.

I don't get why you keep saying this.

Dwight didn't make the Finals.

The Magic made the finals.

Besides, to judge an entire player's value on a few games instead of a full picture is just silly anyway.

Unruly Fan
08-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Not sure how CP3 beat out Dwight when Dwight made the finals and CP3 lost in the 1st round and played terrible in it.Oh, well thats easy. Rashard Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu helped him.

JordansBulls
08-05-2009, 01:44 PM
I don't get why you keep saying this.

Dwight didn't make the Finals.

The Magic made the finals.

Besides, to judge an entire player's value on a few games instead of a full picture is just silly anyway.

CP3 got outplayed by Billups in the 1st round this year.

$GangGr33n$
08-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Dwight is a great defender but needs to have consistent offence Duncan isn't as good as he once was (not as dominant still very good) had to go Dwight though

theuuord
08-05-2009, 01:49 PM

That's great.

Did you know that CP3 outplayed Billups over the course of the entire season?

theuuord
08-05-2009, 01:50 PM
oh, also, i think this train of thought is really funny:

leading right into:

Unruly Fan
08-05-2009, 02:01 PM
That's great.

Did you know that CP3 outplayed Billups over the course of the entire season?hahahah EXACTLY.

Come to think of it, Kobe got terribly outplayed and outshined by Pierce in the finals the previous year. Will that finally silence all the d*ckriders from calling him (Kobe) the "Best player on the face of the earth" NOOO!

Argument DONE.

ManRam
08-05-2009, 02:07 PM

In addition to what theuuord said...

Dwight played just as poorly in the two biggest series the Magic played...but the thing is, his supporting cast was insanenly better than New Orleans'. Take it from a Magic fan...Dwight did not carry his team in any way shape or form into the Finals...at least no by his lonesome. CP is much more of a one-man show than Howard...and it isn't close.

Howard was shut down in the majority of games vs. Boston and LA...and finished well below his season averages across the board. He just plays on a much better team.

tland22
08-05-2009, 02:22 PM

Basketball is a team game. Nobody can do it themselves. The magic CLEARLY had a better team around Howard....while CP# and company were limping into the playoffs because of injuries and the fact that CP and West played so many mins all year, they practically had nothing left in them. Your argument doesnt fly though. Wade had a 1st round exit...put up SO SIMILAR numbers to Paul..his team was merely 43-39 record, losing to the HAWKS in the playoffs....so who cares? What does that mean? NOTHING. Wade is a great player who has tons of things going for him, just like CP3.

tland22
08-05-2009, 02:25 PM
HAHAHAHA everyone is in BEAST mode! ^^^^^^^^^ all great great points...all aimed at JordansBulls lol...just thought that was pretty funny.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-05-2009, 02:25 PM
I still like Timmy D.

theuuord
08-05-2009, 02:36 PM
HAHAHAHA everyone is in BEAST mode! ^^^^^^^^^ all great great points...all aimed at JordansBulls lol...just thought that was pretty funny.

JB better have a pretty sizable economic stake in this website, with all the random threads/thoughts he comes up with to get people to reply...

dre1990
08-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Goes to the best Center in the NBA

still1ballin
08-05-2009, 02:41 PM
superman

Reddd
08-05-2009, 02:42 PM
I'd say Duncan, don't count him out, he's more versatile in offense than Dwight Howard when healthy and that he will be this coming season

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-05-2009, 02:45 PM
D Twizzy!

nyyankees09
08-05-2009, 03:02 PM
Dwight

FOBolous
08-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Tim Duncan > Dwight Howard

why? because Duncan can do more than dunk the ball back in after an offensive rebound.

Howard is an amazing rebounder though. I'm fine with either player winning...just as long as Bargnani doesn't end up somewhere in the ranking :puke:

yanksknicksgmen
08-05-2009, 03:21 PM
dwight

IversonIsKrazy
08-05-2009, 03:29 PM
I have Duncan here. He is a better all-around player than Howard, and no other wing player is a top 5. Duncan is #5.

Mile High Champ
08-05-2009, 03:37 PM
I think it's kinda strange that you make these top 10 threads for people on PSD to vote and then you make comments like this to discredit the poll that you make.

no its my opinion thats all. I make these polls so the rest of PSD can enjoy them, not for my own amusement... Not sure what your problem is with gibby..

Mile High Champ
08-05-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm a bit surprised MHC, you shouldn't generalize all those votes.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I just feel that sometimes PSD can sometimes rank players a bit too high cause there game is about highlights and not about true talent. Yes Howard can be dominating but he has no where near the offensive talent and abilities Duncan Has. Plus Duncan is a 3 times final MVP and 4 time NBA champion. I personally have not seen his game get much worse at all, only his team. With RJ in the fold, the spurs should be a lot better and Duncan once again can get the respect he deserves..

Mile High Champ
08-05-2009, 03:46 PM

Well the majority of PSD would disagree with you considering Duncan easily was voted the best PF in the league by PSD only a few weeks ago.. How is KG better, especially after his injury prone year he had?

Catfish1314
08-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Well the majority of PSD would disagree with you considering Duncan easily was voted the best PF in the league by PSD only a few weeks ago.. How is KG better, especially after his injury prone year he had?

Well actually Duncan had as many injury problems as KG last season, but the severity of his weren't enough to keep him off the floor as long as Garnett's.

I agree with you though. I think it's actually Duncan who is "head and heels" above KG and Dirk. Garnett, while he makes others better, defers to his teammates too much when he should be carrying them to victory. It's one of the main reasons why the Hawks and Cavs were able to take them to 7 games in 2008.

Dirk knows when it's time to put the team on his back, but he also doesn't directly make his teammates better by seeing the floor, making that extra pass or getting in their ear all the time like Garnett and Duncan do. He also doesn't make the kind of defensive impact that either one of those guys do either.

From those perspectives, Duncan is actually like a combination of Dirk and Garnett in that he is a leader, he does make his teammates better, and he knows when to put the team on his back and carry them to a W.

jim51990
08-05-2009, 04:11 PM
d will needs to get some respect he should fall no lower then 7 and i feel he should be top 5

Gibby23
08-05-2009, 04:11 PM
no its my opinion thats all. I make these polls so the rest of PSD can enjoy them, not for my own amusement... Not sure what your problem is with gibby..

Im just saying you make the polls so people on PSD can enjoy them and then you take a shot a people who are not voting for Duncan.

zambo4president
08-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Dirka Dirka

Unruly Fan
08-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Im just saying you make the polls so people on PSD can enjoy them and then you take a shot a people who are not voting for Duncan.So your saying just because hes the creator of the poll, he can't have an opinion on the matter?

Gibby23
08-05-2009, 04:26 PM
So your saying just because hes the creator of the poll, he can't have an opinion on the matter?

Correct. Don't make a thread asking for peoples opinion and make remarks when people vote for a player. Give your opinion and let people do the same.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Correct. Don't make a thread asking for peoples opinion and make remarks when people vote for a player. Give your opinion and let people do the same.

Why can't he?

It is like asking someone's opinion when you already have your own opinion about it just to compare.

J_M_B
08-05-2009, 04:42 PM
I went with Howard in the poll before, got to go with him again.

Reddd
08-05-2009, 04:43 PM

:pity:

patya17
08-05-2009, 04:44 PM
still no Amare...:confused:

Tmac,lt,berkman
08-05-2009, 04:48 PM
i went wit duncan

danidin
08-05-2009, 04:57 PM
any list that KG isn't in the top 5\6 is ridiculous.

Mile High Champ
08-05-2009, 04:59 PM

That makes no sense what so ever, it seems like a few people agree. I can state my opinion if I want to, I don't need your stamp of approval to do so.

azkarraga
08-05-2009, 05:00 PM
kobe
lebron
wade
duncan
paul
kg
howard

Mile High Champ
08-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Im just saying you make the polls so people on PSD can enjoy them and then you take a shot a people who are not voting for Duncan.

I never said anyone was stupid or misinformed, that would be taking a shot at someone. I simply stated that I feel too often SOME PSD voters take the glamour and the highlights of a player over true skill. Is howard a more exciting player then Duncan? Probably yes with his put back dunks and blocked shots but is he a better player? Not in my opinion, his talent level is not near what Duncan's is. Am I fine with Howard getting this spot, yes, I just feel that Duncan remains a top 5 player in today's game..

Bruno
08-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Dwight has the biggest effect on the ball game, out of the remaining players.

AI4MVP
08-05-2009, 05:41 PM
the answer is Kein Durant. hes elite. hes a super star. if u take carmelo off the nuggets and put durant there, then the nuggets become a better team

also, whoeever makes these polls should put amare stoudemire. you have 15 players available in the poll, and amare is top 15 in the league. but anyways

id actually put durant number 4. i dont even think chris paul is the best point guard in the league(2nd to deron williams)

theuuord
08-05-2009, 05:46 PM
the biggest disagreement will be at #7. Because Roy deserves it. But he won't get it.

daleja424
08-05-2009, 05:52 PM
IMO... Mello, Duncan, Garnett, Williams, and MAYBE Durant > Roy...

theuuord
08-05-2009, 05:54 PM
IMO... Mello, Duncan, Garnett, Williams, and MAYBE Durant > Roy...

Duncan, yes. Everyone else on that list, no.

daleja424
08-05-2009, 05:54 PM
you are entitled to you opinion

theuuord
08-05-2009, 05:56 PM
you are entitled to you opinion

are you going to defend yours?

ManRam
08-05-2009, 05:57 PM
the answer is Kein Durant. hes elite. hes a super star. if u take carmelo off the nuggets and put durant there, then the nuggets become a better team

also, whoeever makes these polls should put amare stoudemire. you have 15 players available in the poll, and amare is top 15 in the league. but anyways

id actually put durant number 4. i dont even think chris paul is the best point guard in the league(2nd to deron williams)

Durant's name might as well be urant. No D.

Chris Paul is a first team all defense, and a first team all NBA caliber player. He has the complete package. I love urant as the next guy, but until he buys into defense, even to the extent Carmelo did last year...he isn't top 5.

What separates the top 4 from the rest is how they are all top 10 offensive AND top 10 defensive players in the league. No one outside those four can make that argument (maybe Duncan, but he's past his prime).

AIMelo=KillaDUO
08-05-2009, 05:58 PM
dwight
Dirk
Melo

Toenail Clipper
08-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Can't you ever put the great Gilbert Arenas?!?!?!
Half of that list are not better than Gilbert

Vinny642
08-05-2009, 07:47 PM
I voted my man Dwight.

Illuminati999
08-05-2009, 08:14 PM

How do people's vote mean that Duncan is better? First off, someone could easily make 50 accounts (as it takes only 20 seconds to make one) and vote for their favorite. It's just like American Idol. Popularity contest.

Look at the All Star games. Bruce Bowen was almost voted in as a starter. Does it mean he is better than the players who didn't quite get as many as him?

Look at the All NBA 1st team. For the most part, it is credible and unbiased. I guarantee everyone here wouldn't be picking Tim Duncan at 3,4,5,6,7 etc pick. He is the greatest PF of all time, maybe like top 5 PF today. Dirk is definitely more productive than Duncan and Garnet today.

daleja424
08-05-2009, 09:13 PM
are you going to defend yours?

no because you cant go wrong with any of those guys. They are all elite. I COULD offer you stats and analysis... but why waste my time. You will just counter with your stats and analysis and neither of us will change our minds

ManRam
08-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Can't you ever put the great Gilbert Arenas?!?!?!
Half of that list are not better than Gilbert

I'd take everyone on this list, plus some, over Gil. Most overrated player alive. Injury prone too. He's hardly played in two years...and when he does, he's a 40% shooter. Turrible.

dsickich123
08-05-2009, 09:41 PM
HOWARD.

but why is Durant getting no love...
He should be top 10

Robbw241
08-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Deron!!!

Mile High Champ
08-06-2009, 12:06 AM
This one seems over.. too bad..

GodsSon
08-06-2009, 12:12 AM
had to give it to the Big Fundamental...the guy has been consistent since his rookie year, and is the most decorated player in the league right now...MVP's, All-Star games, All NBA, Finals MVP, defense teams etc...

J-Relo
08-06-2009, 03:48 AM
Howard will get those votes.... though it should have been TD... but whatever... the most interesting part what goes after TD and Dirk? KG? then who?

and add Amare+

todu82
08-06-2009, 04:33 AM
Dwight Howard

magichatnumber9
08-06-2009, 08:01 AM
I think the 5th best player in the league is Paul Pierce