PDA

View Full Version : NBA owners want a hard cap

JordansBulls
08-04-2009, 04:00 PM
http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/david_aldridge/08/04/aldridge.labor/

Implementing a hard cap. "A hard, hard cap," the source said. The NBA has operated with a "soft" cap since the implementation of the salary cap in 1984, with several kinds of exceptions allowed to either re-sign players already on a team's roster or to entice players from other teams to sign. These include the famous "Larry Bird" exception that allows a team to exceed the cap in order to re-sign its own player; the "mid-level" exception, starting with the average salary paid in a given season, and going out up to five years with annual eight percent raises; and the "bi-annual" exception, which teams can use every other year, and is generally used to help sign veteran players.

A hard cap, such as is used in the National Football League, would eliminate all exceptions. Teams would have a specific amount they could spend on salaries, and could not exceed it for any reason;

Higher luxury taxes. A "supertax" that would basically double the luxury tax to $2 for every dollar a team exceeds the tax threshhold, from its current $1. The league tried to implement a supertax in the last negotiation with the players, but the union held firm against it, feeling it would have a devastating impact on free agency;

JordansBulls
08-04-2009, 04:05 PM
If a guy doesn't play, he shouldn't get paid. Why the hell should Gilbert Arenas get 18.5 million last year to play 5 games?

FaceDown91
08-04-2009, 04:08 PM
If a guy doesn't play, he shouldn't get paid. Why the hell should Gilbert Arenas get 18.5 million last year to play 5 games?

that's why there is a thing called "Guaranteed money" in their contracts. Gilbert Arenas was guaranteed that money so why not? If it said he would not get paid if he did not play that it would have been in the contract but guess not.

Chronz
08-04-2009, 04:17 PM
that's why there is a thing called "Guaranteed money" in their contracts. Gilbert Arenas was guaranteed that money so why not? If it said he would not get paid if he did not play that it would have been in the contract but guess not.
I have no idea what your trying to say

torontosports10
08-04-2009, 04:18 PM

Cause he signed a contrat saying they will pay him that much? Your saying if you got hurt you would say pay me nothing and keep 18.5 million dollars?

arkanian215
08-04-2009, 04:19 PM
that makes it terribly hard to keep a superstar that you drafted to turn your franchise around...

GSW fan
08-04-2009, 04:21 PM
i think we should change it to the hard cap.

it sounds more fair

theuuord

that's bull. Owners sign a contract to give a person a certain amount of money, and they should be expected to uphold that contract, regardless of what happens after the signing.

That's why the Knicks-Marbury situation was so stupid. The Knicks told Marbury they weren't going to play him, and then tried to force him to take a pay cut. It's absurd. You let owners run amok and they'll find excuses not to pay anyone.

njnets
if i were the NBA, i would up the salary cap, set it as a hard cap, and have what the NFL has: signing bonuses and contract money. only the bonuses are guaranteed, if you cut a player, you dont pay the contract money. it works in football, why not basketball?

Kyben36
08-04-2009, 04:22 PM
I think that they should realy consider this after and only after the economy gets out of this slump, but a hard cap would not be a bad idea. Raise the cap to around 65-70 mil max, NO Lux Tax, NO Soft cap, that is what you have to spend.

Hustla23
08-04-2009, 04:39 PM
As a New York fan, I am not in support of this at all lol.

In fact, I don't even like the soft cap, I wish they'd get rid of it :p

But seriously, a soft cap is limitation enough.

This isn't Communist Russia, business (since the NBA is a business after all) shouldn't be restricted like this.

Mile High Champ
08-04-2009, 04:55 PM
best idea in a while...

Mile High Champ
08-04-2009, 05:01 PM
As a New York fan, I am not in support of this at all lol.

In fact, I don't even like the soft cap, I wish they'd get rid of it :p

But seriously, a soft cap is limitation enough.

This isn't Communist Russia, business (since the NBA is a business after all) shouldn't be restricted like this.

is the NFL Communist in your mind? this is just plain ignorance..

ManRam
08-04-2009, 05:03 PM
I like the current cap. A hard cap is going to screw players, especially those looking to stay on one team for most of their careers. I like the bird right rules, the MLE and LLEs, and the veteran minimum rules. Prevents teams from going New York Yankee nuts, but allows teams to spend if they want to.

The soft cap limits teams enough. I like it more than any other sport's cap situation.

BornAYankee23
08-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Union would never let this happen. And if teams were stupid enough to get stuck with these terrible contracts/guaranteed money then that's on them.

Lakers4ItAll
08-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Not sure if I like this or not. Players move around too much lately as it is, teams being able to offer more money to keep a player keeps it somewhat fair. Then again I like the fact that teams wouldn't be able to overpay for players just so they don't lose them.