PDA

View Full Version : Raptor GM enthused with Triano

Macedonian
08-04-2009, 10:35 AM
A nice article from "London Free Press"...

Just a few parts from it:

Jay Triano
Jay Triano wasn't the easy hire or the obvious hire, but as August begins and the Toronto Raptors training camp is almost two months away, it's apparent if Colangelo liked Triano before, he's crazy about him now.
"It's not just me," Colangelo said on the telephone. "I'm getting glowing reports from USA Basketball about Jay. I'm getting glowing reports from Mike Kryzewski and (Colangelo's father) Jerry Colangelo about what he's doing at the U.S. camp.

45-50 wins
Is this a championship team? Highly unlikely, especially in an Eastern Conference with Cleveland, Orlando and Boston.
Is this a playoff team? Absolutely. This could or should be a 45- to 50-win team, barring injuries, and the usual problems losing teams encounter.
"I never like to prejudge any of this (offseason) stuff," Colangelo said. "You do what you think is right. You do it every year. Then you play the games and see what happens."

Starting lineup
In what likely is Triano's starting lineup, a healthy Jose Calderon is at point guard, with probably rookie Demar DeRozan at shooting guard instead of Anthony Parker and Hedo Turkoglu at small forward instead of Shawn Marion. Chris Bosh is Chris Bosh and Andrea Bargnani is Andrea Bargnani: A better starting lineup than last year.

Bench
Jarrett Jack will play the point on the second unit, with Marco Belinelli at shooting guard, Antoine Wright at small forward, Reggie Evans at power forward and Rasho Nesterovic at centre. The possibilities are many.
Jack is good enough to start on some NBA teams; Belinelli had a string of 20-point games last season; Wright is a superb defender; Evans is the kind of nasty rebounder the Raptors need and Nesterovic is one of those intelligent centres of marginal talent but decent value.

Goals and objectives
"It's played out nicely," Colangelo said. "We had some goals and objectives and hopefully we met them. It starts in training camp and I know Jay is already planning the camp. Right now, things feel good. It feels good in terms or our relationship and how we're going about doing this. I'm just excited to get going, to see how everything works out."

yungballah15
08-04-2009, 10:49 AM
good article, all them stuff are true.not much to say.

Bob_at_york
08-04-2009, 11:23 AM
Link for the full article: http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/Sports/OtherSports/2009/08/04/10353521-sun.html

pebloemer
08-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Only thing I disagree with is the analysis of this year's starting lineup being better than last years.

If it is better it is because Calderon is healthy, Bosh is motivated and Bargnani is improved. I don't think DeRozan/Turkoglu is better than Marion/Parker. Definitely not a bad replacement though. And depth is much much better.

Bob_at_york
08-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Only thing I disagree with is the analysis of this year's starting lineup being better than last years.

If it is better it is because Calderon is healthy, Bosh is motivated and Bargnani is improved. I don't think DeRozan/Turkoglu is better than Marion/Parker. Definitely not a bad replacement though. And depth is much much better.

I was thinking about that too. We really don't know what DeMar is going to bring this season, I think it is a little bit early to say that it is better.

stothek
08-04-2009, 12:55 PM

But it is better than Parker/Moon which we had for a period of time. Don't forget that DeRozan/Turkoglu are younger than Marion/Parker.

Jays Claw
08-04-2009, 01:13 PM
I can't wait until October! :)

pebloemer
08-04-2009, 01:16 PM
But it is better than Parker/Moon which we had for a period of time. Don't forget that DeRozan/Turkoglu are younger than Marion/Parker.

I'd agree with both those points but the writer was comparing Marion and Parker to Turkoglu and DeRozan and he was talking about this year.

Parker did a lot of the little things on the court; he knews his role, provided leadership, hustled on both ends of the court, made good decisions, pushed the ball up the court (a transition that took many other players much longer to adapt to) and did everything he was asked to do.

Marion's strengths are this teams weaknesses (rebounding and defense). I thought he was a perfect fit for the team.

Turkoglu brings something different to the team, that will also be very valuable IMO. A 6'10 SF that can handle the ball and is a triple threat will help in late game situations and take pressure off Bosh.

What is more valuable between what Marion brought and what Turkoglu will bring has yet to be seen. But what Parker brought, and what I envision DeRozan to bring is a downgrade for THIS season IMO.

As you stated that, I agree that both those players are better for the future moving forward (I expect Marion's game which relies on athleticism to worsen with age faster than Turkoglu's).

stothek
08-04-2009, 01:28 PM
I'd agree with both those points but the writer was comparing Marion and Parker to Turkoglu and DeRozan and he was talking about this year.

Parker did a lot of the little things on the court; he knews his role, provided leadership, hustled on both ends of the court, made good decisions, pushed the ball up the court (a transition that took many other players much longer to adapt to) and did everything he was asked to do.

I'd like to wait until the playoffs before I say that Derozan is a downgrade to Parker. That's when it really matters, not during the season. Derozan has the whole regular season to get settled into the NBA.

Don't forget, Parker is going to be 34. He may not have been the same for us going into the playoffs.

smith&wesson
08-04-2009, 01:38 PM
just a thought here, and i could be wrong but shouldnt we be starting bellineli
at the 2 since he is the more experienced and proven player ? and have derozen come off the bench as like a sixth man ??

im just saying this because looking at how tuff the schedual is starting out the season there is little room for error. and rookies are bound to make errors and go through growing pains, specially at the begining of the season

RaptorizedKevin
08-04-2009, 02:44 PM
shawn marion is probably one of the best small forwards who are defensive and versitile, and there is no other small forward at his size, he rebounds as well. If yu got a great point guard with him.. his stats owuld be about 15pts.

Nadhi1
08-04-2009, 02:57 PM
great article cant w8 till the season starts

OshGoshKaBosh
08-04-2009, 03:30 PM
In what likely is Triano's starting lineup, a healthy Jose Calderon is at point guard, with probably rookie Demar DeRozan at shooting guard instead of Anthony Parker and Hedo Turkoglu at small forward instead of Shawn Marion. Chris Bosh is Chris Bosh and Andrea Bargnani is Andrea Bargnani: A better starting lineup than last year.

With all due respect to Colangelo, I think it is a mistake for GM's to even speculate on starting lineups...that is the coach's job. I don't think Colangelo would appreciate it much if Jay started telling him which players to pursue and how much to offer free agents.

I don't think Colangelo meant to put Jay on the spot...but he should still refrain from doing that.

pebloemer
08-04-2009, 03:32 PM
With all due respect to Colangelo, I think it is a mistake for GM's to even speculate on starting lineups...that is the coach's job. I don't think Colangelo would appreciate it much if Jay started telling him which players to pursue and how much to offer free agents.

I don't think Colangelo meant to put Jay on the spot...but he should still refrain from doing that.

I don't think Colangelo said that; it isn't in quotes. Pretty sure it is just the writer's speculation.

magikmc
08-04-2009, 03:46 PM

To be honest i think this team is better with that lineup. Only because of what effect it will have. I can't even count how many games we lost in the 4th quarter last year because we didn't have a "go-to scorer". We have that now, and i think it will make a big difference. I do think you should give the starting spot to Belinelli, and if DeRozan is playing lights out then you give him the spot. That being said, i think DeRozan, if he does what he can do, would be a MUCH better fit than Parker. I love parker, and what he did, but DeRozan's game is exactly what we need. A slasher, and a guy that can go to the rim. We didn't have that last year at the SG position, and i think it really hurt us.

pebloemer
08-04-2009, 03:58 PM
To be honest i think this team is better with that lineup. Only because of what effect it will have. I can't even count how many games we lost in the 4th quarter last year because we didn't have a "go-to scorer". We have that now, and i think it will make a big difference. I do think you should give the starting spot to Belinelli, and if DeRozan is playing lights out then you give him the spot. That being said, i think DeRozan, if he does what he can do, would be a MUCH better fit than Parker. I love parker, and what he did, but DeRozan's game is exactly what we need. A slasher, and a guy that can go to the rim. We didn't have that last year at the SG position, and i think it really hurt us.

I hope DeRozan's game translates into him being effective in those areas this season, but he is still a rookie that only had one year of college basketball. I refuse to put too high expectations on him. He'll make some nice highlight dunks and show us why we picked him, but he will also make bad decisions on the court, which could cost us too. By the end of the season, I hope he is in good form, but the kid will have a lot of adjutsments to make over the course of the season.

phoenix_bladen
08-04-2009, 03:58 PM

i agree that belinelli should start or wright instead of derozan

we need to bring the kid up slowly and not put too much pressure on him for the starting spot

can you imagine him having a bad stretch and then the coach benches him or just takes him off the starting line up ? it could blow his confidence

so i would suggest bringing him off the bench

Macedonian
08-04-2009, 04:53 PM
I don't think Colangelo said that; it isn't in quotes. Pretty sure it is just the writer's speculation.
You're right about that!

Gibby
08-04-2009, 05:10 PM
just a thought here, and i could be wrong but shouldnt we be starting bellineli
at the 2 since he is the more experienced and proven player ? and have derozen come off the bench as like a sixth man ??

im just saying this because looking at how tuff the schedual is starting out the season there is little room for error. and rookies are bound to make errors and go through growing pains, specially at the begining of the season

bellineli may be more experienced but i wouldnt call him proven. i think derozen will be starting but he wont get heavy minutes. starting might help his confidence.

jrob23
08-04-2009, 06:52 PM

yeah that's exactly what it is lol

OshGoshKaBosh
08-05-2009, 01:36 AM

Thanks for clarifying that.:o The way the quotes were arranged it looked like B.Co had actually said that. It surprised me that a GM could actually put his coach on the spot like that. Glad to see it is just the writer's opinion.

AntwanN21
08-05-2009, 01:52 PM
october cant come sooner

bartron_44
08-05-2009, 03:12 PM
ummm, it is HIGLY unlikely Belinelli wins a starting spot on this team...lol He could barely get minutes last year in golden state ffs. Derozan has some freakish talent, and that cannot be lost sitting at the end of the bench. LBJ, Melo,Mayo, Rose....most of the kids with alot of hype coming out of high school recently have turned out to be pretty darn good pro's right away. Now I am not saying DD will be the next LBJ or anything, but i don't think his age really matters. The younger you get high flying players like that the more years you'll have him while his legs are still healthy. Imagine how good he will be +15-25lbs of muscle and a better outside jump shot in a year or 2. His game is already sick from 18ft in, and I could see him producing alot like Richard Hamilton as he seems to work hard without the ball, and has the size to shoot over smaller gaurds......If he doesn't get exposed on the defensive end and pick up a bunch of quick fouls

visko23
08-05-2009, 03:24 PM
I think preseason can help determine who will start at the 2. But I think DeRozan's a lock as of now. LEt's all remember that the starting job doesn't always equate to the most minutes. He is young and athletic which can help us get some easy points in transition and get established early in games. Look for him to come out as the first sub most nights and to ease his away into crunch time minutes. Let's remember he only played one college season and will have a hard time adjusting to an 82 game season with 21 back-to-backs. SO although I think he will start, I see him playing about 20-24 minutes.