PDA

View Full Version : Powe likely to sign with the Cavs

FaceDown91
08-04-2009, 04:37 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Reading-the-Powe-to-Cleveland-tea-leaves;_ylt=AuH2Jfnyll35IM6L_BOnMcq8vLYF?urn=nba,1 80383

Leon Powe(notes), who played the past three seasons with the Celtics, reportedly has a contract offer on the table from the Cavaliers. And while it's not a given the forward will sign in Cleveland Brian Windhorst of The Plain Dealer says Powe could wait for the deal to be sweetened or until further into his rehab to prove his knee is healthy if he does, I sure know how the story ends. Take a look into my crystal ball ...

BOSTON (AP) Apparently, revenge is a dish best served with clam chowder.

Ex-Celtic Leon Powe was the surprising star of Game 6 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals, coming off the bench to score 23 points and grab nine rebounds in Cleveland's 101-97 victory over Boston.

The feisty 6-foot-8 forward signed with the Cavaliers in the off-season after recovering from a torn ACL in his left knee and the reconstructive surgery that followed.

"We feel like we can go to the guy," LeBron James(notes) said. "He's proven since he returned to the line-up in January that once he posts up, get him the ball. [Danny] Ainge's loss was our gain."

LeBron and fellow stars Mo Williams(notes) and Shaquille O'Neal(notes) get most of the attention in Cleveland, but Powe outscored all three, and for most of the game was even outscoring ex-teammate and Paul Pierce(notes).

"Leon played a great game," Pierce said. "I mean, he came in and did what he had to do. We've seen him do it before, but unfortunately, tonight, he was on the wrong side of the floor."

With starting center O'Neal playing with a sprained left ankle, then getting into early foul trouble, the Celtics went to Powe early in the game. He aggressively went to the basket, shooting eight free throws in the first half and finishing 9-of-12 at the line. He also made his first five shots from the field.

Powe played well during a 12-game stretch when O'Neal was sidelined with a hangnail just after the All-Star break, but the minutes have been sporadic during the postseason. Chances are he earned plenty more with his performance Thursday.

"The minutes don't really bother me. I've got a job to do for this team, and like I said, whenever Coach Brown calls on me, it's my job to go out there and produce, be a constant professional," Powe said.

"And if it's against my old team, so be it."

Game 7 is scheduled for Sunday in Cleveland.

DerekRE_3
08-04-2009, 04:47 AM
That would be a great pickup for them if he's healthy.

zambo4president
08-04-2009, 05:22 AM
Oh wow Leon Powe respect meter running on E.

DaaBoTownSox
08-04-2009, 05:54 AM
That would be a great pickup for them if he's healthy.

Absolutely.

J-Relo
08-04-2009, 06:16 AM
^ agree

magichatnumber9
08-04-2009, 07:04 AM
that would be huge

S-Dot
08-04-2009, 07:18 AM
if healthy, a good backup PF

TheKing23
08-04-2009, 07:44 AM
Would absolutely love to get him, a weapon coming off the bench.
However I think the length and options of the contract could be a stumbling block.
Apparently Leon Powe wants a 2-year deal with the second year a player option. This would allow him to rehabilitate his knee at the expense of the medical team for whoever he signs with, return to fitness and then opt out and go looking for a contract that pays bigger money.
Not sure if Cleveland will offer him the kind of contract he wants, but i'll be very happy if we could get him.

MagicBucsSox
08-04-2009, 07:45 AM
this will give cavs fans another bonehead reason to say theyre better than orlando. homie is a bum. only got a name cause ppl guarded kg etc.he trash

bigsams50
08-04-2009, 07:47 AM
he wast a bum in the finals

MagicBucsSox
08-04-2009, 07:51 AM
shaq ,moon,parker n maybe powe is theyre answer to keep bron? and beat orlando?

ko8e24
08-04-2009, 07:55 AM
lets see if he can come back to '08 form. if so, that will help the cavs even more

JordansBulls
08-04-2009, 08:06 AM
Makes the rivalry that much better.

TheKing23
08-04-2009, 08:19 AM

It was the matchup problems that hurt Cleveland. With Turkoglu gone, those no longer exist. Powe would be another body to help defend Howard.
The Cavs have added a future HOF, two solid, athletic bench players and potentially another energy guy to help defend some of the bigs in the East.

Danny Ferry is doing all he can to keep LeBron and build a team around him, do you really think that if Ferry could've done anything different to improve the team he wouldn't of??

BkOriginalOne
08-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Powe is grimey for this.
Cavs added more toughness, but still, less athleticism and shooting.

S-Dot
08-04-2009, 08:35 AM
It was the matchup problems that hurt Cleveland. With Turkoglu gone, those no longer exist. Powe would be another body to help defend Howard.
The Cavs have added a future HOF, two solid, athletic bench players and potentially another energy guy to help defend some of the bigs in the East.

Danny Ferry is doing all he can to keep LeBron and build a team around him, do you really think that if Ferry could've done anything different to improve the team he wouldn't of??

I agree. Besides the Varejao signing that was too much IMO, he is starting to do the best he can.

mikantsass
08-04-2009, 08:45 AM
This is his 3rd ACL surgery. He wont be back until after the All-Star break. Love the guy, but hes got nothing left. I'd be surprised if he plays this year.

TheKing23
08-04-2009, 09:27 AM
This is his 3rd ACL surgery. He wont be back until after the All-Star break. Love the guy, but hes got nothing left. I'd be surprised if he plays this year.

This is something that worries me but hopefully he'll be able to return to his best with a good rehabilitation period. He is definitely a gamble though.

BTownTeamsRKing
08-04-2009, 09:33 AM
if he returns and plays well, I WILL NEVER FORGIVE Danny Ainge. He gives a minimum deal to shelden williams over leon powe who fought as hard as anyone on the court every single time.

This disgusts me so much.

MajorFloridaFan
08-04-2009, 11:40 AM

Yeah they are struggling a lil bit with some bad choices

Lakers4ItAll
08-04-2009, 01:41 PM
He is a gamble that won't even be able to play until after the AS break, I'm not too worried

MagicBucsSox
08-04-2009, 07:47 PM

ok you cavs fans love to say,"oh you guys losst turkglo" like bug deal,thats the nature of the biz.but we replaced him wit a guy that does everything better even pick n roll. like bron say "check the stats"
and how the heck does a 6'8 pf help defend dwight? when sha cant. and you bring up that u guys got a HOF. well that HOF been gon since 05 06

B.JenningsMVP
08-04-2009, 07:57 PM
he raw
he from oakland breh! :D

dre1990
08-04-2009, 08:10 PM
could be a good bench guy for them

nikefreek220
08-04-2009, 08:31 PM
the dude is a warrior, playing with a torn ACL is a MAN move. Bad move from a Boston point of view, he put his body out there and did whatever he could to help his team. And Boston says thank you to him by saying ***** you, we'll give someone else a minimum contract.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-04-2009, 09:29 PM
I don't see the reason why people rank the Cavs 3rd in the East when they clearly have a better bench than Boston and they can match up well with the Magic.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-04-2009, 09:39 PM
ok you cavs fans love to say,"oh you guys losst turkglo" like bug deal,thats the nature of the biz.but we replaced him wit a guy that does everything better even pick n roll. like bron say "check the stats"
and how the heck does a 6'8 pf help defend dwight? when sha cant. and you bring up that u guys got a HOF. well that HOF been gon since 05 06

The reason it was harder when Turkoglu was around because of his height. They had West guarding him. I think West will be more effective and will have a way more easier time guarding Carter compared to Turkoglu.

Last year, this is who was guarding who in the clutch.

Varajao guarding Howard
Lebron guarding Lewis
West guarding Turkoglu
Gibson guarding Peitris/Lee
Williams guarding Nelson

This year, it is easier for Cleveland

Shaq and Shaq guarding Howard and Gortat
Varajao/Powe guarding Bass
Parker, West, Moon and James guarding Lewis, Carter, Barnes and Reddick
Williams and Gibson guarding Nelson and (their backup)

It's way easier for the Cavs to match up this year compared to last year

ILLN355
08-04-2009, 09:45 PM
The reason it was harder when Turkoglu was around because of his height. They had West guarding him. I think West will be more effective and will have a way more easier time guarding Carter compared to Turkoglu.

Last year, this is who was guarding who in the clutch.

Varajao guarding Howard
Lebron guarding Lewis
West guarding Turkoglu
Gibson guarding Peitris/Lee
Williams guarding Nelson

This year, it is easier for Cleveland

Shaq and Shaq guarding Howard and Gortat
Varajao/Powe guarding Bass
Parker, West, Moon and James guarding Lewis, Carter, Barnes and Reddick
Williams and Gibson guarding Nelson and (their backup)

It's way easier for the Cavs to match up this year compared to last year

Couldn't agree more with you, Cavs only problem other then the obvious, Howard, was guarding Turk, now that he is gone it will be much easier on West and the Cavs.

Trouble87
08-04-2009, 09:45 PM
Boston almost promised they would resign him... lil messed up they didnt follow through

NYtilIdie
08-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Thats a crowded front court

Shaq,Z,Andy,Powe

plus you got guys like Moon and Parker coming off the bench also with either Andy or Z most likely to be the 6th man. Thats hardly any playing time for Powe.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Thats a crowded front court

Shaq,Z,Andy,Powe

plus you got guys like Moon and Parker with either Andy or Z most likely to be the 6th man. Thats hardly any playing time.

Powe comes back mid season while Shaq will more than likely sit out a lot of games for the offseason.

cHi8DaL5LA420
08-04-2009, 10:05 PM
this makes there bench better for sure... leon powe you always kno what you are getting with him and that is toughness ... he plays hard every night and is very capable of shooting and making shots... he will not shy down from a fight either,... this guy is tough.. i really like him... this makes the cavs a better team now... there bench is shakey

TheKing23
08-04-2009, 10:07 PM

Check the stats???? Vince Carter was playing on a team where he was the first option, he got all the shots he wanted. That's not the case now, and although i'm a big fan of Vince Carter he just won't have the same effect as Turkoglu, no matter how much you Magic fans try to convince yourselves.

When Cleveland met the Magic in the ECF, Delonte West (6'3) was guarding Turkoglu (6'10) for the majority of the series. I'm happy that he's been replaced by Vince Carter (6'6) as the mismatch problems now shrink, literally.

Turkoglu is a better three point shooter, obviously key to the Magic offense as they live and die by the three (shown against L.A). He is also a better passer, especially with his height and length, so your argument that you replaced Turkoglu with a player that does everything better is wrong.

Yes, Leon Powe is undersized for the 4 spot, but have you ever seen him play? He plays a lot bigger than his height, similar to Jason Maxiell or a poor mans Elton Brand. He wouldn't be expected to guard Dwight for the entire game, hardly at all probably, but adding another high energy, big body in the paint will make it a lot harder for Dwight to have his way down low.
You argue that Shaq is past it... Fair enough, he's not gonna come in and put up 29 & 13 but he's still the 3rd best center in the NBA and he'll be able to do a much better job defending Dwight than Big Z did.

The fact is, Orlando gave up their second best player who fitted in with the team perfectly for a guy who won't create the mismatch problems that made the Magic such a dangerous team, you also gave up a great young piece in Courtney Lee and quality back up point guard in Rafer Alston. The Cavs gave up Ben Wallace (a past it, purely defensive player) and Sasha Pavlovic (a guy who never even dented the rotation). From that, I think the Cavs look in better shape before the season starts.

TheKing23
08-04-2009, 10:14 PM
this makes there bench better for sure... leon powe you always kno what you are getting with him and that is toughness ... he plays hard every night and is very capable of shooting and making shots... he will not shy down from a fight either,... this guy is tough.. i really like him... this makes the cavs a better team now... there bench is shakey

Even if we don't sign Leon Powe, our bench isn't shaky.
Zydrunas Ilgauskas is probably the best center in the league coming off the bench, Anthony Parker and Jamario Moon have both started for the majority of their careers and are ideal role players and high energy guys, who score in bunches and can defend. Daniel Gibson is a great three point shooter, something you need around LeBron with all the attention he attracts. Joe Smith (if he re-signs) and J.J Hickson are solid bigs who can contribute and aren't there just to make up the numbers.

But I do agree, he adds a much needed toughness to our bench.

ILLN355
08-04-2009, 10:21 PM
Carter only has one trick, and he can only do it half of what he used to when he was in TO.

LA_Raiders
08-04-2009, 11:06 PM
he wont play util february, good luck with that...

Agar81
08-04-2009, 11:11 PM
That would be a blow. I wouldn't like to play a mad Powe, especially if hes doing it for revenge.

stawka
08-04-2009, 11:12 PM
he wont play util february, good luck with that...

Neither will Bynum... You guys have Memphis in your 6th game :D

Corey
08-04-2009, 11:48 PM
Leon Powe would be a great pickup for any team. Even if he isn't healthy, he's absolutely fantastic for any locker room, and is a joy for coaches. He's awesome for the community as well, as he cares SO much about charity work because of the hardships he's faced in his life.

I can't say enough good things about Leon Powe. Whatever team he goes to, he'll always be on of my favorites.

cowboyz180
08-05-2009, 12:02 AM
that would be a great pickup for the cavs

Drunk Kosar 19
08-05-2009, 12:17 AM
yes yes yes

JayW_1023
08-05-2009, 11:50 AM
Unlike Varejao, Powe has a clear grasp of what he can or cannot do offensively. I would start Powe based on all the times Mike Brown should've yanked Varejao for every ill-advised jump shot.

Anderson Varejao suffers from Marcus Camby-itis...the aloofness of attempting jump shots despite lacking the touch to make them at least 40 percent of the time.