PDA

View Full Version : Baseball America's Top 10 Pirate Prospects (After Deadline Moves)

MooseWithFleas
08-04-2009, 01:50 AM
Jim Callis of Baseball America ranked the top 10 prospects in the Pirate Organization after the slew of moves they made at the deadline. Here is the new list.

1. Pedro Alvarez, 3b
Heating up in Double-A, showing why he got a $6 million bonus.
2. Brad Lincoln, rhp
Has put Tommy John surgery behind him, jumped to Triple-A.
3. Tony Sanchez, c
Hitting .341 in pro debut, but Pirates could have done better with No. 4 overall pick.
4. Tim Alderson, rhp
Scouts question his stuff and delivery, don't love him as much as fans do.
5. Jose Tabata, of
Remains an enigma, and questions about his physique and true age linger.
6. Gorkys Hernandez, of
Won't play center with McCutchen in Pittsburgh, and his bat doesn't profile on a corner.
7. Rudy Owens, lhp
28th-round draft-and-follow used solid stuff, savvy to fashion 32-inning scoreless streak.
8. Zack Von Rosenberg, rhp
Unsigned sixth-round pick had borderline first-round talent.
9. Robbie Grossman, of
2008 sixth-rounder who signed for $1 million is having just a so-so first full season.
10. Starling Marte, of
Previously unknown Dominican has hit .345 with 16 steals in first month in low Class A.

You can read the rest of the article HERE (http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/ask-ba/2009/268637.html). Note that only 2 of the prospects come from all of the trades the Pirates made (Alderson & Hernandez).

SenecaValley46
08-04-2009, 02:14 AM
No Neil Walker, or Moskos. (first rounders off the top of my head)

Mcclutch
08-04-2009, 07:01 AM
gorkys hernandez was from the nate mcclouth trade wasnt he

magichatnumber9
08-04-2009, 09:32 AM
good stuff

burgh_fan66
08-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Tabata is also from a trade (last year).

Plus do not forget the likes of Milledge, Hart and Clement no longer qualify as prospects. (Hart was the Cubs #6 going into this year and Clement was the Mariners #1 going in to last year).

As for my thoughts:

I would slot Sanchez behind Tabata and Alderson. Just because Sanchez was not an elite prospect coming out of the draft and does not deserve to be ranked ahead of two upper-level established players.

Including Von Rosenburg in there is a joke to me. The guy isn't signed so should not be considered a Pirate prospect.

And finally I think it is a little too early to put Starling Marte in the top 10 but I do think he is headed there.

I would still have Bryan Morris in the top 10 over Von Rosenburg and Marte. Overall I think it is pretty good except for the inclusion of Von Rosenburg. My other differences are just a matter of how to rank new comers against the established players.

Mcclutch
08-04-2009, 06:38 PM
[QUOTE=burgh_fan66;10416517]I would still have Bryan Morris in the top 10 over Von Rosenburg and Marte. QUOTE]

I agree i wouldnt put van rosenburgh and marte on there but i dont know if i would but bryan morris on there now with the team suspension

Mcclutch
08-04-2009, 06:39 PM
dont ask me why it didnt do the quote thing cuz i dont know

burgh_fan66
08-04-2009, 11:08 PM
dont ask me why it didnt do the quote thing cuz i dont know

you need a [/ before the last QUOTE.

I still think Morris should be considered even with the suspension. He still has a lot of potential. I am also surprised to see Owens as high as he is as well but he does deserve it. Good debut in Lynchburg too (after a well overdue promotion).

Mcclutch
08-05-2009, 07:03 AM
what about matt mcswain hes 9-6 with a 3.30 era. hes 23 which is kinda old for A ball but those numbers say promotion to me

dashripdot
08-05-2009, 08:00 AM
This is sinful. The Pirates' organization just keeps digging itself a deeper hole. They traded above-average players for above-average prospects. They now have (potentially, at best) the same talent for less money. The idea is to trade your MLB talent for players who at least project better than the players for whom they were traded. They failed.

Their draft picks, aside from Lincoln and Alvarez, have regressed the organization because the brass didn't take advantage of the early-pick opportunities (Moskos and Sanchez are embarrasing picks). If your fans are going to suffer through horrible seasons, the payoff of the early picks has got to be huge. The Pirates just fail and fail and fail.

burgh_fan66
08-05-2009, 02:21 PM
what about matt mcswain hes 9-6 with a 3.30 era. hes 23 which is kinda old for A ball but those numbers say promotion to me

McSwain has been doing pretty well but I do not think he is top 10 yet. Top 10 amongst our pitchers possibly but not overall.