PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Roy Peak Comparisons

Run&Gun
08-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Brandon Roy is probably a top 10 player in the NBA right now, and he can still get better. He's been compared to Manu, which I think is pretty fair but I think he can get better than that. He has an amazing skill set, and doesn't really have any weakness. I think his skill set is probably going to be as good as Kobe Bryant's at his peak but subtract the athleticism. What do you all think?

Hawkeye15
08-03-2009, 10:33 PM
nah, not Kobe, but he could easily be a Mitch Richmond type. good for 23-5-5 for a long time. Great player, but I can't see a top 20 player ever. Not yet, and he is already 25-26

GoatMilk
08-03-2009, 10:42 PM
he's really really good
IMO though, he's overachieving

he wont appear in more than 4 all-star games

BALLER71
08-03-2009, 10:43 PM
Dwyane Wade

kobe8titles24
08-03-2009, 10:43 PM
brooo i think he is a top 50 player perhaps. If you think about it...Is Brandon Roy better then... kobe bryant,lebron james,dwayne wade,carmello anthony,dwight howard,yao ming,kevin durant,kevin garnett,paul pierce,dirk nowitzki,steve nash etc...he is a good ball player and with his portland team has a great nd bright future but to say hes top 10 nah man...but its a good thought hes a good young talent =D ...danny granger to me is more of a leader and has come more far along i guess because hes been given alot more responsiblity early

AllDay28
08-03-2009, 10:45 PM
^^^ he is better than kevin durant, paul pierce and steve nash.

Basketballguy87
08-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Manu is better than roy for now.

Hawkeye15
08-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Roy is far better than top 50. And Roy is better than Manyu at this point. I would rank Roy, without really making a concrete list, a top 15 player in the NBA

Master Mind
08-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Dwyane Wade

Naw. A better version of Eddie Jones maybe

blazerman
08-03-2009, 10:53 PM
nah, not Kobe, but he could easily be a Mitch Richmond type. good for 23-5-5 for a long time. Great player, but I can't see a top 20 player ever. Not yet, and he is already 25-26

He's been in the league 3 yrs and you're already trying to make him sound old.(he's 24 or just turned 25 within the last month).

He's far and away better than Mitch Richmond, Mitch didnt have any game besides shooting. And he's already a top 20 player and much closer to top 10.

Roy has been a ROY and 2 time allstar in his 3yr career something neither Kobe or Mitch were at this point in their career. Kobe was unstoppable in his 4th yr and beyond, tough for anybody to compare to.

Roy is very similar to a prime Chauncey Billups in alot of ways (different positions but very similar players) also the same type of game as D Wade. Wade is more explosive but both he and Roy have complete games and can carry a team for extended periods of time, both are good defensively, offensively good inside and out and both are natural leaders.

Run&Gun
08-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Yeah you have a good point there, especially when looking at his stats and lack of length and although good athleticism not great, an argument could be made that he's not going to be getting a whole lot better than he is now. But when watching him play especially in the game where to took that like 30 foot fade away jumper over Houston to win the game was amazing. Everytime I watch him he just makes the game look so easy and I think if he wanted to he could score more, I think skill wise he's pretty up there. He provides good leadership to a really young team with super IQ. But his athleticism and lack of length makes it harder to be as elite as players like bron, wade, bryant etc.

Hellcrooner
08-03-2009, 11:05 PM
he will either be a horrible 1st option that acomplish nothing but since he stays in ione place he beats some longevitibity and scoring records and their fanbase gets really atached to him like Mike Miller.

Or he can be smart move his *** somwhee else to be second banana to someone great and win some ships ala pippen, worhty etc.

theuuord
08-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Is Brandon Roy better then... kobe bryant,lebron james,dwayne wade,carmello anthony,dwight howard,yao ming,kevin durant,kevin garnett,paul pierce,dirk nowitzki,steve nash

no, no, no, yes, no, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

theuuord
08-03-2009, 11:48 PM
Naw. A better version of Eddie Jones maybe

Eddie Jones goes to sleep at night dreaming he could have been half the player in his prime that Brandon Roy is today.

cowboyz180
08-04-2009, 12:06 AM
roy is not top 10, but top 20

bogdanrom
08-04-2009, 02:23 AM
Brandon Roy is not top 10. He's probably in the top 25 though. He's 25 which is kind of a bummer but he's not old, and has time to improve. He can become a 25-5-5 player.

Catfish1314
08-04-2009, 02:32 AM
His unselfishness, ability to make others better, sweet midrange game, late game composure, and leadership ability all remind me of Dwyane Wade. He doesn't have Wade's athleticism or body control, but that's the best comparison I can think of.

Master Mind
08-04-2009, 02:37 AM
What about a Ray Allen type with a less potent 3 pt. shot...

Giants-49ers-Ws
08-04-2009, 02:42 AM
idk..but he's a baller

DerekRE_3
08-04-2009, 03:02 AM

Mitch was mostly a great scorer, he didn't really create for anyone else like Roy does, and his defense wasn't as good.

nba08
08-04-2009, 03:33 AM
he reminds me of bernard king can score but never will wow u with athletic plays. will be a great player like bernard but he wont be in the class of kobe dude in my opinon you gotta have rings and i think it unfair to compair him right now to kone een sayinf at his peak.

static_inferno
08-04-2009, 03:38 AM
see him as Kobe-lite. not as good, but has similar skill sets. 6'7 shooting guard who can pretty much do it all: slash, shoot, a playmaker, defend, not to mention he's clutch. he doesn't have as good of the footwork as Kobe and will never get near Kobe's level, but the comparisons are there.

azkarraga
08-04-2009, 03:42 AM
Manu is better than roy for now.

no, its not. not right now.

J-Relo
08-04-2009, 03:59 AM
if he was put more on PG role than maybe like GP with more scoring

blackjack_119
08-04-2009, 07:40 AM
For everyone that says Roy isn't top 20... Read this:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-090305
Brandon Roy right now puts up 23/5/5 on the team with the slowest pace in the NBA. (Technically Detroit had 1/10 of a possession fewer per game... but that means they played eight more possessions all season while Golden State played 984 more possessions.) When you adjust every players numbers for pace, Brandon Roy is the 7th best player in the NBA. Look at the comparison of a player "clearly" better than him:
Carmelo Anthony vs. Brandon Roy
Melo: 22.8/6.8/3.4
B-Roy: 22.6/4.7/5.1

Melo looks like the better player. Now when you take into account that Denver plays 8 more possessions per game, look at the stats if Roy played at Melo's pace:
Melo: 22.8/6.8/3.4/.443
B-Roy: 24.8/5.1/5.6/.480
When you adjust for pace, Roy now looks like the better player. (Tacked on the FG% to show how much more efficient Roy is than Melo... Roy also turns the ball over 1 fewer times per game (and Roy is the primary ball handler.))

JordansBulls
08-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Maybe as good as Paul Pierce

dee279
08-04-2009, 08:47 AM
brooo i think he is a top 50 player perhaps. If you think about it...Is Brandon Roy better then... kobe bryant,lebron james,dwayne wade,carmello anthony,dwight howard,yao ming,kevin durant,kevin garnett,paul pierce,dirk nowitzki,steve nash etc...he is a good ball player and with his portland team has a great nd bright future but to say hes top 10 nah man...but its a good thought hes a good young talent =D ...danny granger to me is more of a leader and has come more far along i guess because hes been given alot more responsiblity early

Hes better then those 2.

dee279
08-04-2009, 08:48 AM
^^^ he is better than kevin durant, paul pierce and steve nash.

Even at this point in their careers, i would choose Durant over Brandon Roy.

S-Dot
08-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Even at this point in their careers, i would choose Durant over Brandon Roy.

Me too; I honestly don't see Brandon Roy getting much better from where he's at. I think he is really good though.

dee279
08-04-2009, 08:59 AM
For everyone that says Roy isn't top 20... Read this:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=PERDiem-090305
Brandon Roy right now puts up 23/5/5 on the team with the slowest pace in the NBA. (Technically Detroit had 1/10 of a possession fewer per game... but that means they played eight more possessions all season while Golden State played 984 more possessions.) When you adjust every players numbers for pace, Brandon Roy is the 7th best player in the NBA. Look at the comparison of a player "clearly" better than him:
Carmelo Anthony vs. Brandon Roy
Melo: 22.8/6.8/3.4
B-Roy: 22.6/4.7/5.1

Melo looks like the better player. Now when you take into account that Denver plays 8 more possessions per game, look at the stats if Roy played at Melo's pace:
Melo: 22.8/6.8/3.4/.443
B-Roy: 24.8/5.1/5.6/.480
When you adjust for pace, Roy now looks like the better player. (Tacked on the FG% to show how much more efficient Roy is than Melo... Roy also turns the ball over 1 fewer times per game (and Roy is the primary ball handler.))

Mayne **** that possession stuff. Melo is one of the most deadly offensive players, and could put 30 every night if he wanted to. Brandon Roy is not a dominant player in this league. He is not superstar status and i dont see him getting that much better. He just came in this league NBA ready and thats why he did so well so early. He is top 20 but not better then Melo no matter what the stats said.

dee279
08-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Me too; I honestly don't see Brandon Roy getting much better from where he's at. I think he is really good though.

I agree.

magichatnumber9
08-04-2009, 09:02 AM
come back to earth run and gun.

dee279
08-04-2009, 09:10 AM
1. Dwyane Wade
2. Kobe Bryant
3. Lebron James
4. Chris Paul
5. Dwight Howard
6. Tim Duncan
7. Melo
8. Kevin Garnett
9. Dirk Nowitzki
10. Deron Williams
11. Amare Stoudemire
12. Pau Gasol
13. Chris Bosh
14. Al Jefferson
15. Paul Pierce
16. Gilbert Arenas
17. Brandon Roy
18. Chauncey Billups
19. Danny Granger
20. Yao Ming

I really dont see him getting into the top 10 no time soon if ever. I think Roy is very much close to his ceiling. Right now, he is a better Iggy. Maybe a starting Ginobili who doesnt have to play 3rd man role.

dee279
08-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Dwyane Wade

Dont kid yourself.

tland22
08-04-2009, 12:21 PM
I think Roy is very near his peak.... i think he is overacheiving. He is not top 10 though.... he is a Top 20 player

tland22
08-04-2009, 12:23 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^and YAO ming is BETTER than Roy, YAO is better than Gasol, Yao is better than AL Jeff, Yao better than Arenas,

blackjack_119
08-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Mayne **** that possession stuff. Melo is one of the most deadly offensive players, and could put 30 every night if he wanted to. Brandon Roy is not a dominant player in this league. He is not superstar status and i dont see him getting that much better. He just came in this league NBA ready and thats why he did so well so early. He is top 20 but not better then Melo no matter what the stats said.

That is what everyone said when he was drafted... and then he won rookie of the year. Then they said he had reached his peak... and he became an all-star. Then they said that he couldn't improve and he was an all-star and 2nd Team All-NBA. (Melo was 3rd team.) When you adjust the statistics to make a fair comparison, Brandon Roy was almost statistically identical to Kobe Bryant (Bryant #6 overall; Roy #7... Anthony was #33.)

But the fourth time around... this is the time that he is not going to get any better, right?

Carmelo Anthony, however... the player who is slightly older than Roy; has been in the league three years longer than Roy yet has been to the same number of all-star appearances and has never been above the NBA third team... this is the more dominant player?

You should really read that article in my first post. John Hollinger does a much better job of explaining how completely wrong you are.

CELTICS4LYFE
08-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Maybe as good as Paul Pierce

exactly what i was thinking....but he is obviously getting more love than paul ever did b4 that finals mvp

MajorFloridaFan
08-04-2009, 12:27 PM
top 20...he will be a second man i dont think he will ever be a number 1 type

Chronz
08-04-2009, 12:39 PM

LOL sorry bro it doesnt work that way. Melo is definitely one of the best scorers in the league, but Roy is a better OFFENSIVE player. Possessions matter

blazerman
08-05-2009, 12:00 AM
exactly what i was thinking....but he is obviously getting more love than paul ever did b4 that finals mvp

Not a bad comparision, Paul Pierce is Lethal