PDA

View Full Version : Randy Ruiz

the_lazy_man
08-03-2009, 09:02 AM
This guys stats are sick, hes old tho, but i mean overpaid sucks and this dude has this:

24 hrs, 98 rbi, 323 avg in 107 games.

Damn. Who needs overbay hahahahaha

blujaysrock
08-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Don't forget he's in AAA that doesn't necessarily translate to success at MLB, for example I know it's a small sample size but Tommy Everidge of Oakland had a line like this in AAA

.382 avg .432 obp 1.068ops 9 hr 32 rbi 15 double in 43 games

and so far in the MLB he has a line like this

.250 avg .321 obp .696 ops 0 hr 4 rbi 4 doubles in 6 games

Like I said I know it's a small sample size but just because he's doing that in AAA doesn't mean Ruiz can come and do that good with the Jays, although it would be nice :) .

Billyen
08-03-2009, 10:17 AM
This is what everyone keeps saying about these older AAA guys. Maybe your right...maybe your wrong but, I'd like to give those 2 guys 150 AB each and find out. Anythings better than the bats we got now.

the_lazy_man
08-03-2009, 10:20 AM
Overbay has a dismal 44 rbis, why not give this dude a chance, him and snider are the only good AAA players right now,

Overbay shoudl be peaced soon, i dont mind him as a player, but the occasional 2b and hr does not shine over his inconsistency, and that play against cleveland; wtf was that hahahaha

blujaysrock
08-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Overbay has a dismal 44 rbis, why not give this dude a chance, him and snider are the only good AAA players right now,

Overbay shoudl be peaced soon, i dont mind him as a player, but the occasional 2b and hr does not shine over his inconsistency, and that play against cleveland; wtf was that hahahaha

Don't you think Dopirak is doing pretty good?

jaysfan55
08-03-2009, 12:00 PM
I think it is time for Ruiz to come up and show what he has at the major league level. With the awesome numbers he has put up...he deserves a shot. Designate Millar and call up Ruiz. Buck Coats also needs some time in the Majors and its time to bring snider back up... I think the 2010 team is going to be a massive improvment over the 2009 team...

JaysFan87
08-03-2009, 12:07 PM

:laugh: u did not just use rbi to justify an argument????

Twitchy
08-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Ruiz is having a decent year in AAA but isn't he already 32? There's probably a good reason he hasn't gotten a chance yet. Can't hurt to call him up in Sept. but I don't think we should cast off Overbay and expect this guy to be a 300/30/100 900 OPS hitter.

Jays Claw
08-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Randy Ruiz and Buck Coats have been amazing down in AAA.

brandonwarne52
08-03-2009, 04:26 PM
Ruiz is huge and can't play defense really at all.

jaysfan55
08-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Ruiz, Coats, Snider, and Dopirak are all hot right now... Ruiz and coats have carried that team all year. He is a bit older but if we can get some solid production out of him then who cares... If he can hit the ball well and earn a bench spot in 2010 then so be it. Let him come off the bench and hit 10-15 HR. I think they will all be call ups in sept. Finding playing time is going to be the hard part.

ChongInc.
08-03-2009, 04:38 PM
i say give him a shot, cant hurt.
and you know in his mind hes thinking that he needs to make that push to the majors now because he is getting old.
expect him to put maximum effort in for a year.

jaysfan55
08-03-2009, 04:42 PM
He can play First or DH once in a while. We need a decent bat off the bench. Millar was a bust this year.

Gibby
08-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Ruiz is having a great year but they cant just send Overbay or Millar to the minors.

carsonauto
08-03-2009, 05:23 PM
How are Ruiz's splits? If Ruiz can hit Lefties, then JP should designate Millar, and hand the at-bats to Ruiz, and POSSIBLY call up Snider to finish off the season like he did last year.

JaysFan87
08-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Ruiz, Coats, Snider, and Dopirak are all hot right now... Ruiz and coats have carried that team all year. He is a bit older but if we can get some solid production out of him then who cares... If he can hit the ball well and earn a bench spot in 2010 then so be it. Let him come off the bench and hit 10-15 HR. I think they will all be call ups in sept. Finding playing time is going to be the hard part.

If im giving someone a bench spot to someone im giving it to someone who is capable of playing defense and preferable playing multiple locations.

T.O.Bombinators
08-03-2009, 07:00 PM
i dont think it could hurt..worst thing is he hits like millar. overbay, or wells aor slightly worse and we send him back down but id like to see him and dopirak with snider up

Jays Claw
08-03-2009, 07:07 PM
When is J.P going to release Kevin Millar the geezer? :mad:

fatkev78
08-04-2009, 02:47 PM
How are Ruiz's splits? If Ruiz can hit Lefties, then JP should designate Millar, and hand the at-bats to Ruiz, and POSSIBLY call up Snider to finish off the season like he did last year.

vs. righties he has a 1.015 OPS, but vs. lefties it drop all the way down to..... .931

fatkev78
08-04-2009, 02:54 PM
The guy deserves a call-up, no matter his age: .997 OPS .324 BA 25 HR 101 RBI.

Last year a AAA he had a .902 OPS .320 BA 17HR 68 RBI.

2009mvp
08-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Uhh...PCL anyone? I'm not buying either, but a look at Dopirak wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

fatkev78
08-04-2009, 03:35 PM
^ I agree Dopirak deserves a look at some point too, but he's only played 19 games - small sample size - while Ruiz has played 109. Also, I fail to understand what the PCL has to do with anything.

brandonwarne52
08-04-2009, 03:42 PM
The PCL is a ridiculous hitting league.

B2theRY
08-04-2009, 03:43 PM
He can play First or DH once in a while. We need a decent bat off the bench. Millar was a bust this year.

what were you expecting from the guy?

fatkev78
08-04-2009, 03:49 PM
The PCL is a ridiculous hitting league.

I know that, but we're talking about 2 guys playing in the PCL. You can't say "PCL anyone" about Ruiz and then say Dopirak who also plays in the PCL deserves a call-up (especially one with about a 1/5 of the games played).

miller74
08-04-2009, 04:37 PM
How old is dopirak?
and every at bat millar takes is a waste of an at bat to this franchise.

bomber0104
08-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Yeah the PCL is a hitter's league but he has been the best hitter there. He is top 10 in avg, 2nd in HRs, and 1st in RBIs by 21

icehawkmike
08-04-2009, 05:20 PM
How old is dopirak?
and every at bat millar takes is a waste of an at bat to this franchise.

I didn't check but i know Dopirak is 26 or 27.

Ruiz is organizational filler to the Jays, Dopirak is the guy they want to see succeed because of the age difference.

jaysfan55
08-04-2009, 05:26 PM
I dont think that the PCL has anything to do with it... Ruiz has been seeing some decent pitchers that throw 90-93 Mph. Granted they are no Joba or CC or anyone like that, but he has a good eye for the ball and just needs time to adjust. He has appeared in 22 games in the majors and hit for a low average, but maybe with a solid month in the majors he can play every other day and get some at bats. This guy can be someone that may surprise us

Jays Claw
08-04-2009, 05:37 PM
The only way J.P Ricciardi will call Randy Ruiz up is if either Kevin Millar or Lyle Overbay go on the disabled list. :pray:

JaysFan87
08-04-2009, 05:40 PM
i dont think it could hurt..worst thing is he hits like millar. overbay, or wells aor slightly worse and we send him back down but id like to see him and dopirak with snider up

If he is hitting like overbay then im happy....but without defensive position he has no place here full time.

JaysFan87
08-04-2009, 05:42 PM
I dont think that the PCL has anything to do with it... Ruiz has been seeing some decent pitchers that throw 90-93 Mph. Granted they are no Joba or CC or anyone like that, but he has a good eye for the ball and just needs time to adjust. He has appeared in 22 games in the majors and hit for a low average, but maybe with a solid month in the majors he can play every other day and get some at bats. This guy can be someone that may surprise us

I've heard herre and there that Ruiz is ridiculous hitting on AAAA pitchers but MLB caliber pitching he struggles against. I cant find any article so its purely word of mouth but there is typically a reason why a 32 year old smoking AAA is still in AAA.

Twitchy
08-04-2009, 05:44 PM

The PCL is typically a hitters league and you have to take the stats there with a grain of salt.

brandonwarne52
08-04-2009, 06:41 PM
I know that, but we're talking about 2 guys playing in the PCL. You can't say "PCL anyone" about Ruiz and then say Dopirak who also plays in the PCL deserves a call-up (especially one with about a 1/5 of the games played).

I didn't say anything about Dopirak. I'm a Twins fan and Ruiz was in our system.

fatkev78
08-04-2009, 07:08 PM
^ Sorry for the confusion Brandonwarne, but that wasn't directed to you. If you read a few posts up someone was making an argument that Ruiz's success was due to the PCL, then he said Dopirak should get a look (who obviously plays in the PCL as well).

2009mvp
08-04-2009, 07:28 PM
^^I should clarify, I'd give Dopirak a shot solely based on his age, and even then I wouldn't be too enthused about it. Essentially, the ship has sailed on Ruiz. He's not making an impact longterm with this team, or any other.

the_lazy_man
08-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Just saw millar's swing. Still questioning why is this man here:S:confused:

fatkev78
08-04-2009, 07:48 PM
^^I should clarify, I'd give Dopirak a shot solely based on his age, and even then I wouldn't be too enthused about it. Essentially, the ship has sailed on Ruiz. He's not making an impact longterm with this team, or any other.

Yet we have a 50 year old as our cleanup hitter tonight. I'm not saying he is the 2nd coming of Babe Ruth, I'm just saying he's putting up amazing numbers and deserves a shot - especially when he could easily replace Millar.

fatkev78
08-04-2009, 07:49 PM
BTW, I wouldn't mind Dopirak being given a shot as well, but I think Ruiz deserves one first.

donatolla
08-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Randy's MLE's project to be around a .250 to .260 average, .310 OBP and about .450 SLG. Don't get too excited about big numbers in the PCL.

Billyen
08-04-2009, 08:56 PM
The PCL is typically a hitters league and you have to take the stats there with a grain of salt.

Everyone is aware of this. The point is he should be given a shot with the numbers he's putting up. Now, not in Sept.

Right now we give the other team 8-9 outs every game with Well/Rois. Ruiz DHing won't hurt a bit. Even if he does half of what Wells does he'll be a improvement.

donatolla
08-04-2009, 09:08 PM
Everyone is aware of this. The point is he should be given a shot with the numbers he's putting up. Now, not in Sept.

Right now we give the other team 8-9 outs every game with Well/Rois. Ruiz DHing won't hurt a bit. Even if he does half of what Wells does he'll be a improvement.

Isn't that the definition of the opposite of improvement?

bomber0104
08-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Ok i have officially had enough of Millar... he is costing us offensively and defensively

Twitchy
08-04-2009, 09:36 PM

I'm not saying Ruiz isn't an improvement over Inglett, what I said is that Overbay shouldn't be replaced by Ruiz as some suggested. But we shouldn't expect Ruiz to all of a sudden mash in the majors because of his AAA #'s. Dude's 32 and hasn't been given even a utility role in the majors.

fatkev78
08-04-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm not saying Ruiz isn't an improvement over Inglett, what I said is that Overbay shouldn't be replaced by Ruiz as some suggested. But we shouldn't expect Ruiz to all of a sudden mash in the majors because of his AAA #'s. Dude's 32 and hasn't been given even a utility role in the majors.

I don't think anyone has suggested he will mash, nor do I think anyone expects him to replace Overbay. I would simply like him to replace Millar for a few AB's.

Habs n Jays Fan
08-04-2009, 11:37 PM
I think what we're seeing with Ruiz is the same thing we saw when Jason Lane was destroying the baseball in Spring Training. People saw he had some pop and wanted him on the team no matter who got replaced(some people were even willing to demote Lind again and use Lane at DH). Ruiz is really a flavour of the month, not much different then some players from the past. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve a shot but obviously their is a reason the guy's 32 and in AAA and do we really want to see that reason on the field?

1hardcore
08-04-2009, 11:38 PM
This is actually a good thing ....

Coz there's Dopirak , Lind, and Ruiz who all can play 1st base! which means BYE BYE OVERBAY !!!

Billyen
08-05-2009, 03:15 AM
I think what we're seeing with Ruiz is the same thing we saw when Jason Lane was destroying the baseball in Spring Training.

No actually. Lane hit 9 HRs in about a month in Spring Training- that means nothing, everone knows that. Ruiz and Harper have been doing this for the past 4 months. Plus, close to the same thing last year.

To be honest, I think I'd rather have Lane up here instead of Wells. He can take a walk, his avg is only 20 points less than Wells. What's Lane's RISP avg? Just because Lane drop off in the minors doesn't mean he would have did the same in the MLs. I remember thinking he would have been bumbed out by not getting called up with everyone. MAYBE that affected him? You'd sure get a better return on Lane with your money than Wells, that's for sure.

What a bad contract! It will destroy this team for the next 5 years.

Back on topic. Until you get Ruiz up here for 150 ABs, you just don't know.

bartron_44
08-05-2009, 08:47 AM
I think the fact this debate is even happening means we have some depth at first base. I also agree Millar is a bum off the bench, and that I would prefer releasing him as we did BJ and bring up one of the young guys.

I would say Overbay will be sent packing in the offseason too to create more dollars for a top tier starter/bat.

Rochesta
08-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Ruiz is having a great year but they cant just send Overbay or Millar to the minors.

No, but we can send Millar back to the sofa. He's dead weight.

donatolla
08-05-2009, 07:15 PM
I don't think anyone has suggested he will mash, nor do I think anyone expects him to replace Overbay. I would simply like him to replace Millar for a few AB's.

I'm not even convinced that he could replace Millar effectively. Who knows.

fatkev78
08-05-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm not even convinced that he could replace Millar effectively. Who knows.

There is only one way to find out. Plus, at this point, what do we got to lose?

Twitchy
08-05-2009, 07:48 PM

Read the first post of this thread and you'll understand why I said what I did.

fatkev78
08-05-2009, 07:55 PM
Read the first post of this thread and you'll understand why I said what I did.

I think (& hope) he was joking by his "hahahaha".