PDA

View Full Version : The Best Defender against Kobe Bryant? Shane Battier

KB---24
08-03-2009, 02:06 AM
Well i as Laker fan was looking back and wondering who is the best defender on Kobe.Kobe is impossible to stop but who can slow him down the most.Who do you think is the best defender on Kobe?

My Choice: Shane Battier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4aDM5d27_w

LA_Raiders
08-03-2009, 02:28 AM
he does play a very physical D on Kobe, remember the POffs all bloody

NYtilIdie
08-03-2009, 02:34 AM
Yeah the man does his homework. He even made like a 50 page book on how to guard Kobe thats true dedication.

lakersrnumber1
08-03-2009, 02:37 AM
2 stop kobe u have 2 bring back pj patterson the kobe stopper lol yea right battier cant guard kobe either didnt u watch the playoffs. The best defender on kobe is ron artest and he cant stop him either u need some **** with some banana clips 2 stop that man hes a different kind of beast

ARMIN12NBA
08-03-2009, 02:39 AM
2 stop kobe u have 2 bring back pj patterson the kobe stopper lol yea right battier cant guard kobe either didnt u watch the playoffs. The best defender on kobe is ron artest and he cant stop him either u need some **** with some banana clips 2 stop that man hes a different kind of beast

Ruben Patterson.

FaceDown91
08-03-2009, 02:44 AM
Yeah the man does his homework. He even made like a 50 page book on how to guard Kobe thats true dedication.

i saw that :laugh2:

he had numbers and equations all over the pages. If that does not show a guy who tries hard every game, then i don't know what does lol.

Raps18-19 Champ
08-03-2009, 02:45 AM
Not even the guy who defended against Kobe in that case would stop him. I don't think anyone can.

But seriously, Battier is the only consistant guy who sticks to him without looking like a dumbass. Everyone else just gets schooled. Payton did a nice job on him in the early 2000's and so did Bowen.

B.JenningsMVP
08-03-2009, 02:46 AM
Yes

slipcid
08-03-2009, 08:22 AM
shane battier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpTWXmfLVU8

closed thread

BkOriginalOne
08-03-2009, 09:07 AM
He's the best, but Kobe is still unstoppable.
I think only Jordan could've guarded him with OLD NBA rules.

AntiG
08-03-2009, 09:17 AM
James Posey did a superb job on Kobe in 2008.

CELTICS4LYFE
08-03-2009, 10:23 AM
james posey did a superb job on kobe in 2008.

pierce too

pippsux
08-03-2009, 10:57 AM
The NBA today is all about offense and the refs cater to the offensive player. Several times the defender has done an outstanding job, then the offensive player knowing this screams like a little girl, whales their hands around and cry as if they just had their fingers broken. Kobe and Tmac are very guilty of this. As long as the refs and the NBA pamper offensive players, defenders like Battier are at a disadvantage.NBA today is guy jacks up 30 shots for 30 points after going to the line on phantom calls.

But Battier does it the best right now, no double team chasing a guy for 40 minutes.

lakerboy
08-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Kobe admitted on television that Battier guarded him best. There's this kind of commercial he made here in the Manila with basketball TV a couple of weeks back.. It was a 24 second kind of thing, where he was asked questions and he'd answer.

He was asked who guards him the best, he said with out hesitating, Shane Battier.

SteveNash
08-03-2009, 05:00 PM
James Posey did a superb job on Kobe in 2008.

Basically no one can stop Kobe 1 on 1. It takes a great team defense to shut him down, like Boston last year, Detroit in '04.

That's why Allen was able to do such a good job on him even though he isn't known to be the greatest defender.

Hawkeye15
08-03-2009, 06:11 PM
No one player can stop Kobe, or LeBron, or Roy, or any of the top scorers. But Battier does as good an individual job as you can do on Kobe. He runs numbers that show making Kobe shoot this shot vs that shot will result in a slightly better % of Kobe missing. And really, he just digs in. Kobe still occasionally has monster games against, him, and even the games I have been to, Kobe will shoot 7-26, but goes freakin 2-2 in the last minute to break their backs, haha

G-Funk
08-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Battier for sure

t-mac1nukka
08-03-2009, 09:29 PM
why does everyone respond with the cliche "no one can guard kobe 1 on 1"??

the question asks who does the best job, and the clear answer is battier.

and to the person who said artest...did you watch the playoffs? every time artest guarding him kobe went right around his slow self.

zambo4president
08-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Royal Ivy

stevefrancis
08-03-2009, 09:44 PM
pikachu

goku
08-03-2009, 09:44 PM

did you say ron artest is the best defender ron is good under control really i know one can guard kobe but ron gets fustrated shane battier do play under control and dont let anyone get under his skin

_KB24_
08-03-2009, 09:46 PM
No one player can stop Kobe, or LeBron, or Roy, or any of the top scorers. But Battier does as good an individual job as you can do on Kobe. He runs numbers that show making Kobe shoot this shot vs that shot will result in a slightly better % of Kobe missing. And really, he just digs in. Kobe still occasionally has monster games against, him, and even the games I have been to, Kobe will shoot 7-26, but goes freakin 2-2 in the last minute to break their backs, haha

The thread is about Kobe ok, not Queen James. All you Kobe Haters always flame on Laker Fans for bringing up Kobes name when talking bout James. So if you want to mention Lebron, go make your own thread. Label it " The Best Defender against Lebron James? Kwame Brown.

vash9
08-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Shane Battier.
Doug Christie.

Those are the 2 in my opinion, that do the best they can to stop the unstoppable Bryant.

showtime5
08-03-2009, 09:55 PM
The thread is about Kobe ok, not Queen James. All you Kobe Haters always flame on Laker Fans for bringing up Kobes name when talking bout James. So if you want to mention Lebron, go make your own thread. Label it " The Best Defender against Lebron James? Kwame Brown.

Woah, buddy calm down, and get off Kobe's dick. Nobody is hatin' on the Lakers. The guy wasn't insulting your precious Kobe. He was praising his amazing talent among other dynamic scorers in the league. I'm not a fan of the Cavs or Lakers, but saying that LeBron can be guarded by Kwame is just plain ignorant.

FOBolous
08-03-2009, 09:57 PM

lol...what are you talking about? Artest can't hold Kobe...he's too slow. The Rockets tried to do that at the beginning of the season last season and it didn't work out so well so after that 1st game, the Rockets but Battier back on Kobe. In case you didn't notice, Battier was the one guarding Kobe in every game of the playoffs...not Artest. Battier. and Battier is the guy that forced Kobe to shoot a low % in the playoffs...not Artest.

goku
08-03-2009, 10:01 PM

he just said you cant stop like kobe lebron and roy which is true why are you getting upset in that case roy should have his on thread too not just lebron

salimstoudamire
08-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Shane Battier.
Doug Christie.

Those are the 2 in my opinion, that do the best they can to stop the unstoppable Bryant.

Well played bro. Forgot about him. He definitly was a premier defender in the league before he called it quits.

t-mac1nukka
08-03-2009, 10:18 PM

time to grow up there kiddo. no need to get butt hurt over his post.

evadatam5150
08-03-2009, 10:28 PM
pierce too

LMAO.. Where's that rolling on the floor laugh icon when you need it..

Dude, now you're just being ridiculous.. Damn homers... :clap:

BoSox47
08-03-2009, 10:29 PM
paul pierce

Hawkeye15
08-03-2009, 10:35 PM

did someone take you're candy away little boy? Grow up. Even when I defend your mesiah, I get **** on. And Laker fans wonder why they get a bad rap on this site.

lakersrnumber1
08-03-2009, 11:05 PM
lol...what are you talking about? Artest can't hold Kobe...he's too slow. The Rockets tried to do that at the beginning of the season last season and it didn't work out so well so after that 1st game, the Rockets but Battier back on Kobe. In case you didn't notice, Battier was the one guarding Kobe in every game of the playoffs...not Artest. Battier. and Battier is the guy that forced Kobe to shoot a low % in the playoffs...not Artest.

i didnt say he could hold kobe 4 the second time no one can. Only reason why they put battier on kobe is because in game 1 artest fouled out guarding kobe and with yao and tracy out they needed artest 2 stay in the game. Also that foul kobe gave him didnt help so the coached tried 2 keep artest out of trouble by takin him off of kobe. Artest is one of the top 5 defender in the league with d.howard and kg. HOW is battier a better defender on kobe then artest when kobe light up battier *** for 30, 40+ points every game. Kobe never light up ron like that every game and he could of never **** talk artest like that either. There is only one person who ron cant guard and thats brandon roy his style is 2 hard to predict. Who guards kobe, pierce, lebron roy. Artest not battier. so Artest is the best defender battier good but his hand in kobe face doesnt stop kobe one bit. welcome 2 la artest lakers 4 life

t-mac1nukka
08-03-2009, 11:29 PM
^WRONG!!!!!!!

youre so off base its funny. the fact that you say artest can guard kobe better than battier and that artest can only no guard brandon roy is very telling. unless of course you know better than the rockets organization themselves? i mean all they did was do the exact opposite of what you just said. artest guarded roy ALL SERIES; then battier guarded kobe ALL SERIES.

seems you and the rockets have completely opposite opinions. gee wonder who is more credible

goku
08-03-2009, 11:32 PM
i didnt say he could hold kobe 4 the second time no one can. Only reason why they put battier on kobe is because in game 1 artest fouled out guarding kobe and with yao and tracy out they needed artest 2 stay in the game. Also that foul kobe gave him didnt help so the coached tried 2 keep artest out of trouble by takin him off of kobe. Artest is one of the top 5 defender in the league with d.howard and kg. HOW is battier a better defender on kobe then artest when kobe light up battier *** for 30, 40+ points every game. Kobe never light up ron like that every game and he could of never **** talk artest like that either. There is only one person who ron cant guard and thats brandon roy his style is 2 hard to predict. Who guards kobe, pierce, lebron roy. Artest not battier. so Artest is the best defender battier good but his hand in kobe face doesnt stop kobe one bit. welcome 2 la artest lakers 4 life

are you kidding me we won game 1 battier held kobe the hold game with in check with occasional switches with ron game 2 kobe lit battier up your just being a homer now that ron is on the lakers apparently you did watch many laker vs rockets games last season ron talked trash got lit up the first time with then in the playoffs got ejected ron loses his composure to much battier dont get frustrated he keeps goin even if kobe have 30 or 40 pts battier uses technique and strategy ron use his strength and physicality

D-Will4Prez
08-04-2009, 12:33 AM
Ronnie Brewer did an amazing job guarding Kobe but I agree, Shane Battier is probably the best Kobe defender in the league right now :D

lakersrnumber1
08-04-2009, 12:33 AM
good point we had a similar thread like this in our forum. People were sayin vince carter and bruce bowen. Battier does play good d on him but i still think its ron jus my opinion. I think only way 2 stop kobe is gettin in his head and pissin him off like james posey did last year. Kobe is a physical player and u have 2 b a very strong and physical player such as ron 2 threw him off his game. I guess thats a question only kobe could tell the answer to . Couple of years ago he said it was bruce bowen

blazerman
08-04-2009, 01:08 AM
Doesnt Prince guard Bryant too.

Battier is a really good perimeter defender and does a good job on Kobe.

Also I would like to note that a rookie defended Bryant as good as Battier this yr and that was Niclolas Batum. In the 2 games in Portland Batum had to guard Bryant and he held him to like 30 or 35 percent from the field and caused Bryant to turn the ball over and even had a couple of steals and 2 emphatic blks on him. Bryant was clearly frustrated by Batum. Bryant did score well when Batum was out of the game.

Consistantly Battier is one of the better defender's against Bryant.

Bleeds Blue
08-04-2009, 01:28 AM
tayshaun prince and battier

MilwaukeeBAller
08-04-2009, 01:38 AM
Luc Richard Mbah a Moute

Seahawk#81
08-04-2009, 01:49 AM
James Posey #41 remembers the NBA Finals 2008!
Los Angeles Lakers vs Boston Celtics
James Posey absolutely shut down Kobe Bryant for most of the finals and that is exactly why the New Orleans Hornets signed him to a 5-year $25 million so they can make it to the finals! But we have yet to see if it has worked out yet!

NYtilIdie
08-04-2009, 01:58 AM
Pierce did a decent job guarding Kobe in the Finals after Kobe hit that leaner on Allen Pierce told Doc "Let me guard Kobe" and he did a decent job. Not better then Battier, but he made Kobe work.

gqjatt209
08-04-2009, 02:08 AM
Pierce did a decent job guarding Kobe in the Finals after Kobe hit that leaner on Allen Pierce told Doc "Let me guard Kobe" and he did a decent job. Not better then Battier, but he made Kobe work.

And that was all on a bad knee, remember?

IversonIsKrazy
08-04-2009, 02:19 AM
Mo Pete, thats obvious. Morris Peterson had amazing defense on Kobe, didnt u c the 81-point performance??

BULLSFAN0810
08-04-2009, 02:48 AM
I think its John Salmons , i watched him play kobe twice last yr while he was in SAC he gave Kobe fits . he had a few bad games vs him .

FOBolous
08-04-2009, 03:30 AM

lol...you're so off base it's not even funny. Battier guarded Kobe because Artest couldn't hold Kobe. Simple as that. That's why Battier was the one on Kobe throughout the playoffs. that's why there's countless articles about how good Battier is at guarding Kobe after every game the Lakers and Rockets play against each other. and yea...Kobe gets his points. so what? how many shots did it take for Kobe to score that many points? 30 attempts to get 30 points? Battier turns Kobe into a volume shooter and volume shooters hurt the team more than they help the team.

fyi...the most accurate way to guage how good of a defense a player is playing against another player is to look at the FG% of the player that's being guarded. if the fg% is low than that means the player that's guarding the other player is doing a good job. in case you don't know what fg% is...it's a percentage that tells you how many shot that you attempt actually goes in. so if your fg% is low...that means you're missing the majority of your shots. Kobe's fg% is almost always low when he plays against Battier. In the playoffs, Kobe shot below 41% in 4 out of 7 games...all thanks to Battier's defense.

kEviN21
08-04-2009, 04:02 AM
jj redick

S-Dot
08-04-2009, 07:25 AM
who checked him more in that 2004 Finals...Tayshaun or Rip? They didn't stop him, but they did a good job.

magichatnumber9
08-04-2009, 07:48 AM
shane B in da house. Dude has a nice three also

ko8e24
08-04-2009, 07:59 AM
The best defender against Kobe Bryant is God..........and even that choice is suspect.

dee279
08-04-2009, 08:25 AM

You your self must didnt watch the playoffs. Battier played D on Kobe most of the time and when Artest shot against him, it was nuttin but the bottom of the net. Battier is the best on ball defender in this league.

dee279
08-04-2009, 08:28 AM
Battier is the best on ball defender in this league and i have to say he can hold a lot of players down. He did well of that in the playoffs against Kobe and thats why the the Lakers and Rockets was a series and not a sweep.

dee279
08-04-2009, 08:30 AM

Yeah hes like the Peyton Manning of Basketball. Always trying harder and harder to perfect his craft by looking at game tape and stuff like that.

danidin
08-04-2009, 08:33 AM
James Posey.
in the 2008 finals he and PP do a great job on Kobe...
last year I see the game hornets-lakers and Posey was very good againt Kobe, despite the amazing three by Kobe on hem in the clutch.

S-Dot
08-04-2009, 08:33 AM
James Posey.
in the 2008 finals he and PP do a great job on Kobe...
last year I see the game hornets-lakers and Posey was very good againt Kobe, despite the amazing three by Kobe on hem in the clutch.

I think Pierce did well on him too in that series

basketfan4life
08-04-2009, 09:57 AM
there is a player type which defends kobe better.
1-)taller than Kobe
2-)long arms...
this is the main reason why artest and bowen never gives you what's expected from them against Kobe..Kobe's shooting is probably his biggest strenght on offense.(no disrespect to guy,imo he is the best player,and best offensive player in the game)...but when you really make hard to see the rim for him when he is shooting,and make him jump too high for a shot you can defend him better...so tall,long arm players are doing the best job on kobe...

i'll name a few,you can look at the stats
shane battier
thay shaun prince
hate to say this(again i think kobe is the best player,i'll take him over anyone any day) lebron james.(and i think kobe does hell of a job on lebron,too)

i don't give a chance too artest,bowen,dahntay jones,you name it.actually the main reason kobe shot a ilttle bid bad against orlando is,michael pietrus who athletic and has long arms.

a little memory,after his 81 point game kobe's first game was agains GSW and pietrus was a gs warrior,he did a very good job on kobe that day,kobe finished with just 30 points and bad %fg on a game which went to overtime.i know 30 points ain't bad,but considering his fg,overtime,and how on fire the guy was back then,my point makes sense.come on kobe scored 35.4 per game all season :)

cowboyz180
08-04-2009, 10:53 AM
yes

LakersSaintsLSU
08-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Kobe torched that dude in the playoffs lets all come back to reality now.

CELTICS4LYFE
08-04-2009, 11:09 AM
I think Pierce did well on him too in that series

thats who PP is....

theBraveRocket
08-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Battier

thephoenixson28
08-04-2009, 11:36 AM
thats who PP is....Ha ha he said PP

FOBolous
08-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Kobe torched that dude in the playoffs lets all come back to reality now.

oh really? i didn't know Kobe shooting less than 41% in 4 of 7 games count as him "torching" the other player. that's some pretty low standards you have for Kobe.

thephoenixson28
08-04-2009, 11:41 AM
The real person to stop kobe was raja bell. Cuz the only way you going to stop him is close line his ***.

BenFrank
08-04-2009, 11:59 AM
When Kobe was asked who was the person he felt.. played the best defense on him.. without hesitation he said.. and I quote
Shane Battier

GHOSTSNIPER
08-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Battier just doesn't get whistled for as much fouls,that's all.All he does is face guard.Did no one notice how many times he smacked Bryant or poked his eyes because he only face guards?And Pierce and Allen did a good job?Please guys.

CELTICS4LYFE
08-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Battier just doesn't get whistled for as much fouls,that's all.All he does is face guard.Did no one notice how many times he smacked Bryant or poked his eyes because he only face guards?And Pierce and Allen did a good job?Please guys.

who said allen??? we said pierce n posey

Lakerfan In NY
08-04-2009, 12:49 PM
No one player can stop a guy like a Kobe Bryant. All you can do is: don't give up easy basket or send him to the line alot, put a hand in he's face on every shot. Try to get him to make it personal & cut off his team mates. & pray that he isnt on. The best use to be Bowen & Christie.

jbeezy
08-04-2009, 01:16 PM
In the Lakers 11 games againts the Rockets, Kobe avaraged 27.7 ppg. If the best defender against Kobe is Battier than wow Kobe is unguardable.

BULLSFAN0810
08-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Look at the games .... It was john salmons .... I think kobe had terribble games vs him ...and may have lost a few ... Ill go look it up

Raoul Duke_91
08-04-2009, 01:49 PM
paul pierce

:laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1_ZUxu96F0

Pierce coulden't even stop Noah who are you kidding

JayW_1023
08-04-2009, 02:00 PM
:laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1_ZUxu96F0

Pierce coulden't even stop Noah who are you kidding

Ew. I hate it when shmucks like the one above think they are proving a point by posting just one single play on a youtube link. Ew....just...ew.

Fayzon10
08-04-2009, 02:19 PM
pierce too I think that was more of the help defense that the Celtics played on Kobe rather than a one on one thing. The Celtics stuffed up all the driving lanes anytime Kobe touched the ball and they also had a second defender shawdowing him as well, as far as a one on one defender I would say Battier.

krest213
08-04-2009, 05:00 PM
with out a doubt i have to say bruce bowen come first, shane battier, michael pietrus. but its kobe he's gonna his by anymean

ishouldbeagm
08-04-2009, 05:05 PM
vince carter-athletic and long arms

*Superman*
08-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Too bad he's rotting away on the Rockets, the Magic could have used him. ;)

dRa1niNg_ 3s
08-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Hmm i wonder how Trevor Ariza will do against Kobe now? Curiousity sets in.

Zefflin
08-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Trevor would always guard Kobe in practices and pregame he'd warm up with him on him...

I think Kobe will light him up in Houstown. Regardless it will be fun to watch.