PDA

View Full Version : More likely to make the All Star team - McGrady or O'Neal?

MPScribbles
08-01-2009, 04:21 PM
With both Tracy McGrady and Jermaine O'neal "guaranteeing" to be back to their former all-star selves, which do you believe has a better chance of doing so?

T-Mac will be on a horrible Rockets team and, if healthy, will have plenty of opportunity to shine while O'neal could put up monster numbers as one of the few legit centers in the game. Both have plenty of opposition for that all-star roster spot with Kobe, Roy, Durant and others in McGrady's way and Howard, Shaq and others presumably in front of O'neal.

So, of the two, who would you put your money on?

drobe86
08-01-2009, 04:23 PM
neither... Both guys are done and should be retired. Don't see many Mcgrady or Jermaine O'neal jerseys in the stands nowadays do you?

JordansBulls
08-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Mcgrady because he can still be the best on his team, JO will be behind Wade no matter what.

JWO35
08-01-2009, 04:26 PM
If I had to pick one, I would say Tracy McGrady....he will be the main dude scoring on the Team (seeing that Ariza isn't a scorer, and Yao is out). If he is healthy I think the man can average about 25ppg.

MPScribbles
You'll notice that I didn't put neither as an option. That was intentional. If neither were an option everyone would just pick that and there would be no real discussion.

HuRRiCaNeS324
T Mac cuz the fans will still vote him in no matter what.

Suns113
08-01-2009, 04:31 PM
t mac because we all saw JO last season and he was not very good, and although T mac wasnt very good either, he was playing with a serious injury, i can see him this year (if he doesnt get injured) averaging 20 - 23 ppg again.

clehmun
08-01-2009, 04:32 PM
if one of them's gona return to "allstar" form, it's going to be mcgrady.

Hawkeye15
08-01-2009, 04:39 PM
How is TMac gonna play more than 30 games?????? There is not way. And O'Neal is in the east. Not happening. Neither
as far as returning to form, same answer. McGrady is 29. and just had microfracture surgery. Name me a player outside Kidd who did it later in his career, and came back the same

Suns113
08-01-2009, 04:51 PM
How is TMac gonna play more than 30 games?????? There is not way. And O'Neal is in the east. Not happening. Neither
as far as returning to form, same answer. McGrady is 29. and just had microfracture surgery. Name me a player outside Kidd who did it later in his career, and came back the same

Stoudemire :)

drobe86
08-01-2009, 04:52 PM
You'll notice that I didn't put neither as an option. That was intentional. If neither were an option everyone would just pick that and there would be no real discussion.

Well, then you should have put neither as an option because this should not be a discussion. Both of these guys are done, and have nothing else left to give to the NBA. Tmac will give you about 8 games out of 82 and maybe 15 ppg. As for Oneal 10 pts 4 rebs. Neither of these guys is in the top 50 NBA players in the league. close this thread its a waste

Jays Claw
08-01-2009, 04:53 PM
If both can stay healthy and put up big numbers then they should at least get some all star consideration.

Jays Claw
08-01-2009, 04:55 PM
To be honest both Jermaine O'neal and Tracy McGrady are washed up.

They should not be in any all star discussions.

Spurred1
08-01-2009, 04:57 PM

Amare had his surgery at a younger age, early on in his career and has bounced back incredibly well from it.
TMac has a history of injuries and is an older player who has played for a number of years. Not the same situation.

As for the thread topic itself, I think neither is a very valid option. I wouldn't wager anything on either player returning to All Star form-just too many health issues.

CELTICS4LYFE
08-01-2009, 05:19 PM
T mac easily he isnt that old an is the best player on his team

fredv
08-01-2009, 05:26 PM
I think Tmac can come back. Not to his old form, but he can average 20ppg, 5apg and his steals will go down to 2spg because he's going to lose some speed. He will rely mostly on his outside shot, which isn't good, but since he'll be the main guy on the Rox, he'll put some decent numbers up. Just enough to get his value up and to be traded at the deadline.

Hawkeye15
08-01-2009, 05:31 PM

he was 21. HUGE difference

MPScribbles
08-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Well, then you should have put neither as an option because this should not be a discussion. Both of these guys are done, and have nothing else left to give to the NBA. Tmac will give you about 8 games out of 82 and maybe 15 ppg. As for Oneal 10 pts 4 rebs. Neither of these guys is in the top 50 NBA players in the league. close this thread its a waste

Then stay the **** out of it! UGH. Why do people take the time to post in threads that they don't find worthy? There are probably thousands of threads on this site. Do you stop by and chime in on each of them giving your seal of approval or not?
Never asked what you thought of the thread. I asked, given that both of these players are poppin off about how they are going to be all-stars again, which one do you( that is the indefinite you as in anyone) think has the better shot. One of them has to have the advantage. My question to anyone who can read was, WHICH ONE?

Thank you to those of you that are competent readers and answered the question as well as gave an explanation of your opinion.

BlondeBomber41
08-01-2009, 05:54 PM
I think it would be Jermaine O'Neal. The question was who has the best chance to be an All Star, and I think if he is healthy he can put up 15-20 PPG and 8-10 RPG with a couple blocks, which should be enough to at least be a backup center.

There are too many excellent guards and forwards in the West for McGrady to beat out one of them. Only way he gets in is with fan voting from China.

JJ81
08-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Neither will make the All-Star game.

azkarraga
08-01-2009, 06:06 PM
tmac. if anyone.

DQL
08-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Neither will be an all-star again. T-Mac would probably put up better than JO bc the Rockets dont have other legit scoring options behing him while JO will be Heat's 3rd option behind scoring champ Wade and Beasley. However JO will help his team make playoffs and probably further while the Rockets will have a hard time fighting for a playoffs spot

Tmac,lt,berkman
08-01-2009, 10:42 PM
aaron brooks and luis scola

smith&wesson
08-01-2009, 11:10 PM
O'neal could put up monster numbers as one of the few legit centers in the game.

oniel's natural position is power fwd.
he has been tuiting his own horne about returning to his old self from time now and he cant manage to stay healthy enough to play a whole year.

while mgrady has the same issue, this is actually the first time he has truelly been healthy and could return to his old form.

mgrady is the fav to win this one but really and truelly neither are going to make the all start game.

IndyRealist
08-01-2009, 11:11 PM
With both Tracy McGrady and Jermaine O'neal "guaranteeing" to be back to their former all-star selves, which do you believe has a better chance of doing so?

T-Mac will be on a horrible Rockets team and, if healthy, will have plenty of opportunity to shine while O'neal could put up monster numbers as one of the few legit centers in the game. Both have plenty of opposition for that all-star roster spot with Kobe, Roy, Durant and others in McGrady's way and Howard, Shaq and others presumably in front of O'neal.

So, of the two, who would you put your money on?

If the question is, "which is more likely to be an all-star again?" then I'd say McGrady. Howard and Shaq will be the East's C's, and there's only two spots available. In the West, Kobe, Roy, Paul, and Williams will be ahead of him, but there are four spots, so if one of them slips up then McGrady is in.

If the question is, "which is going to return to all-star form?" then I'd say O'Neal. He's the second/third option on the team and will benefit greatly from Wade's passing. Teams will be unable to double him with Wade and Beasley on the wings. McGrady, on the other hand, will be the first, second, and third options on the Rockets, with Aaron Brooks and Luis Scola pulling a distant 4th and 5th. I see a whole lot of jump shots in Tracy's future.

EDIT: And Durant will be on the ballot as a forward. McGrady will not be competing for a spot with him.

Chronz
08-01-2009, 11:54 PM
People are choosing Tmac but for the wrong reasons. 1st option LMFAO

Tell me how many of them were operated on the NON-weight bearing joint?

DQL
08-02-2009, 12:09 AM
aaron brooks and luis scola

Brooks maybe. Scola...no. He's not a legit scorer

Toenail Clipper
08-02-2009, 01:10 PM
T-Mac.
But then again, the whole Lakers roster will make it.

kEviN21
08-02-2009, 01:48 PM
East have Shaq and Dwight.