PDA

View Full Version : Please let this be the start of something! please...

nstojic
07-31-2009, 07:35 PM
our future closer? back on the horse?

Brandon League (last 19 appearances): 1.99 ERA, 0.94 WHIP, 18.1 IP, 12 H, 4 ER, 5 BB, 20 K's, 26/17 GB/FO

downs needs back into the setup spot.. there'll never be a bigger opportunity for league.. he has to seize it! the new stewart guy seems to project into a closer... most of our pitching prospects are SP's... not many relievers/closers... hell, can't wait for Collins to get a shot!

fatkev78
07-31-2009, 07:38 PM
Man, I hope you're right. League's stuff is just plain filthy and I love watching him pitch - he just needed to put it all together & hopefully he has done that (although we've probably jinxed him and he'll get rocked tonight).

Jays Claw
07-31-2009, 07:40 PM
Brandon League has been down right nasty in his last five appearances.

bomber0104
07-31-2009, 07:40 PM
most of us didn't mind the Encarnacion for Rolen trade in the first place. Now that we got to very solid relief prospects, i really like that trade. Our bullepen needs to be rebuilt in the offseason and it never hurts to have a couple of hard throwing pitchers

Jays Claw
07-31-2009, 07:45 PM
Brandon League is the only guy in the bullpen that can throw a 98 MPH fast ball consistently.

nstojic
07-31-2009, 07:46 PM
^^ i can't believe how disappointing carlson's been... but then again, there wasn't much of a track record before last year... he's kind of the jays Jamario Moon... comes in older.. puts up solid numbers... flounders the following year..

H-MYK
07-31-2009, 08:01 PM
Carlson had me asking "What happened to this guy?"

League should be given a try at the closer's role.

Luca68
07-31-2009, 08:14 PM
brandon league has always been fun too watch .... im just hoping if he gets the chance he does well in the closing role, cuz the kids got a ton of potential

nithanyo
07-31-2009, 08:24 PM
i dont trust league as the closer. dont get me wrong. he has some amazing stuff and is an amazing pitcher....but he is only as good as his control.....if his control is even a bitt off we are screwed

nstojic
07-31-2009, 08:25 PM
i dont trust league as the closer. dont get me wrong. he has some amazing stuff and is an amazing pitcher....but he is only as good as his control.....if his control is even a bitt off we are screwed

that's kind of why i put the thread up.. maybe he's starting to 'get' it...

Jays Claw
07-31-2009, 08:29 PM
Brandon League's greatest weakness is his control consistency.

He needs to be more consistent with the strike zone.

nstojic
07-31-2009, 08:37 PM
i don't know where i read it but someone wrote something about how when he starts an inning, he's amazing and when he comes into an inning with an out or two already, he struggles.. or was it the other way around...

bomber0104
07-31-2009, 08:43 PM
i don't know where i read it but someone wrote something about how when he starts an inning, he's amazing and when he comes into an inning with an out or two already, he struggles.. or was it the other way around...

I've brought those numbers up a couple of times and they dont seem to lie.. Wilner also mentioned the same thing

League should be fine if he is used for one inning at a time

nstojic
07-31-2009, 08:53 PM
I've brought those numbers up a couple of times and they dont seem to lie.. Wilner also mentioned the same thing

League should be fine if he is used for one inning at a time

OT but wilner was on the radio the other day and everything he said seemed to be in line with what our forum was saying... i gotta believe that he's posting here...

Macedonian
07-31-2009, 08:58 PM
I'd go with Brandon League!

Zaunnie
07-31-2009, 09:04 PM
just as long as accrapo isn't the closer, i'm satisfied

MaHaRaJaH
07-31-2009, 09:15 PM
Man, I hope you're right. League's stuff is just plain filthy and I love watching him pitch - he just needed to put it all together & hopefully he has done that (although we've probably jinxed him and he'll get rocked tonight).

Good God I love his sinker.

nstojic
07-31-2009, 09:19 PM
man, how rare is it for these 'fireballers' to actually reach their potential? koch declined FAST! zumaya can't stay healthy... the list goes on and on... i guess it makes randy johnson that much more of a special player.... man, he had some downright cartoon-ish years...

bomber0104
07-31-2009, 10:17 PM
Good God I love his sinker.

his nasty pitch is more of a splitter than a sinker... i guess they are close

Habs n Jays Fan
07-31-2009, 10:27 PM
I'll probably take a bit of flack for this but League likely won't thrive as a closer. He doesn't have that swagger, that confidence that a closer absolutely needs to be successful. Sure his stuff is DAMN good but not having that mentality would hurt him tremendously in the closer's role. Look at some of the best closers in the MLB, Rivera, K-Rod, Papelbon, Hoffman, Nathan, etc. They all have that swagger that makes them intimidating and great(especially Rivera, who's survived on ONE pitch for nearly 15 years). Even look at some of the Jays best closer's. Henke, Ward, Ryan, they all had the swagger and all were successful.

However, saying all that, I definitely think League would make and could be one of the best set up men in the game but as far as being a closer, he may get 1 maybe 2 decent seasons there but likely wouldn't be much better then what Kelvim Escobar, Miguel Batista or Darren Hall were.

Jamiecballer
07-31-2009, 11:06 PM
OT but wilner was on the radio the other day and everything he said seemed to be in line with what our forum was saying... i gotta believe that he's posting here...

It wouldn't be hard to spot Wilner..... he'd be the guy defending every stupid move JP made.

Jamiecballer
07-31-2009, 11:12 PM
man, how rare is it for these 'fireballers' to actually reach their potential? koch declined FAST! zumaya can't stay healthy... the list goes on and on... i guess it makes randy johnson that much more of a special player.... man, he had some downright cartoon-ish years...

Billy Koch had zero movement on his fastball and never used any of his off speed pitches. He seemed hell bent on overpowering you with fastballs but it doesn't work when it's that straight. He never learned.

With League I would be hesitant; I'm not sure I'd rely on a guy in important situations who on occasion couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. There have to be better options.

Zaunnie
07-31-2009, 11:32 PM
Oh and I never liked Jesse Carlson. Even when he had his good season

wamco
07-31-2009, 11:35 PM
league's lack of consistency make me want to look elsewhere for a closer.