PDA

View Full Version : McGrady Expects Return to Elite Status

JordansBulls
07-31-2009, 11:53 AM
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/nba/090730_mcgrady_expects_return_elite_status

Houston Rockets star Tracy McGrady guarantees he will return to the Rockets for the 2009-2010 season and that he will be a major factor.

McGrady had microfracture surgery five months ago on his left knee and there is speculation he would miss most of, if not all of the upcoming season, and that his career could be in jeopardy.

McGrady spoke with FOX 26 Sports from Chicago where he is working out.

"It's really no comparison to how I feel now and I how felt trying to play all of last season," McGrady said. "My knee is feeling extremely strong. The most important thing is I'm confident in it. You guys just stay tuned. I'm out here grinding in Chicago, trying to get back right, but yes I will be playing for the Rockets in the '09-10 season.

"I will be in uniform for the Rockets this upcoming season, I guarantee you that, and I will be a lot better than I was last year. I will be back to the player that I once was.

"I will guarantee you that."

"I feel that if I go out there right now I could get somebody 30 (points)."

McGrady truly believes that because of the surgery, combined with his workout regimen, he can be better than ever.

To reach those goals McGrady has hired trainer Tim Grover of Chicago-based Attack Athletics. Grover, who is affiliated with many athletes, also works with the Lakers Kobe Bryant. He has also worked extensively with Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen.

"Tim has done a great job motivating me," McGrady said. "Keeping me in the gym and getting my knee stronger, doing all the right things and taking all the right steps forward to get me back to where I need to be."

Grover is thrilled at McGrady's progress.

"He has all the components to come back from this type of injury and to be extremely successful, not just partially successful," Grover said. "Our goal isn't just to get him back wearing a Rockets' uniform. Our goal is for him to be again one of the elite players in the league."

McGrady has heard the speculation he could be traded and could care less.

"It's just been rumors," McGrady said. "I've been contacting (Rockets General Manager) Daryl (Morey) and those guys over at the Rockets organization. When things are bad everybody wants to speculate and throw rumors out there.

IndiansFan337
07-31-2009, 11:59 AM
He needs to improve his shot selection as he ages & his athleticism decreases. He takes so many poor shots that he sued to compensate with his athleticism, but that isn't going to work anymore. If he can play smart he can still be an impact player.

lakers4sho
07-31-2009, 12:02 PM
:bla:

First thing I'd worry about is being able to play 82 games.

NYtilIdie
07-31-2009, 12:38 PM
Shut the haters up T-Mac

CowboysKB24
07-31-2009, 12:41 PM
LOL I laughed at TMAC for the last few years and haven't stoppped.

macc
07-31-2009, 12:42 PM
I hope he comes back to his elite status. He was fun to watch and was a top 5 when he was at his best.

RaiderLakersA's
07-31-2009, 12:45 PM
I think "Elite" status is a stretch for the 2009 campaign. He is a phenomenal talent and I hope he just comes back healthy. It's a shame that he's missed much of his prime years nursing one ailment or another, whether it's his knee or back or whatever.

ChiBulls91
07-31-2009, 12:46 PM
I really hope he can get back to his elite self. It's a shame that injuries hindered his career. You never wish to see that happen to anyone, let alone some one as entertaining as tmac was back in the day.

S-Dot
07-31-2009, 12:48 PM
Glad to see he at least expects it. I hope he does well this year.

sep11ie
07-31-2009, 12:51 PM
LOL I laughed at TMAC for the last few years and haven't stoppped.

I've been laughing at the Cowboys for just as long and haven't stopped. Congrats on being a bandwagon fan, I'm sure you love the Yankees and Red Sox too!..

ttam68
07-31-2009, 12:54 PM
Sadly, even if he is great again this year I think that could tarnish his reputation more for me.

I used to be a huge fan, but he's looked so lackadaisical that past few years. And finally recovering to play well during a contract year on a bad team when for years they could've been contenders will only make it worse.

B.JenningsMVP
07-31-2009, 01:05 PM
That'd be great.
I'd love to see him back as one of the games best players

JordansBulls
07-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Sadly, even if he is great again this year I think that could tarnish his reputation more for me.

I used to be a huge fan, but he's looked so lackadaisical that past few years. And finally recovering to play well during a contract year on a bad team when for years they could've been contenders will only make it worse.

Not if everyone knew he was injured.

still1ballin
07-31-2009, 01:09 PM
HAH! Yeah OKAY!

ChiBulls91
07-31-2009, 01:10 PM

you can not blame him for everything thats went wrong with the rockets during their short playoff runs. His stats for the last 2 years of the playoffs are great(obviously excluding this years playoffs)

'07 playoffs- 25.3 ppg 7.3 apg 5.9 rpg
'08 playoffs- 27.0 ppg 6.8 apg 8.2 rpg

If thats lackadaisical i wish the bulls were filled with lackadaisical players.:eyebrow:

fairandbalanced
07-31-2009, 01:26 PM
I will be back to the player that I once was.

Which one are you talking about?:rolleyes:

Reyes6
07-31-2009, 01:28 PM
If he is healthy and elite... Lakers vs Rockets games will be crazy this upcoming year, like they weren't already going to be.

JordansBulls
07-31-2009, 01:35 PM
If he is healthy and elite... Lakers vs Rockets games will be crazy this upcoming year, like they weren't already going to be.

Yeah if Yao was around as well.

Lo Porto
07-31-2009, 01:49 PM
For as good as this guy was, it's hard to believe he never won a playoff series. With him being in a contract year and Yao out, he won't ever do it in Houston either. Rockets need to move on...

ttam68
07-31-2009, 02:46 PM
Not if everyone knew he was injured.

you can not blame him for everything thats went wrong with the rockets during their short playoff runs. His stats for the last 2 years of the playoffs are great(obviously excluding this years playoffs)

'07 playoffs- 25.3 ppg 7.3 apg 5.9 rpg
'08 playoffs- 27.0 ppg 6.8 apg 8.2 rpg

If thats lackadaisical i wish the bulls were filled with lackadaisical players.:eyebrow:

I agree with you both. I'm not trying to trash him, he's my favorite player ever.

But, I dont think it should've taken until now for him to finally be putting in the work to get over the injury. If after struggling through injuries the past 5 years he suddenly becomes ok again when his team is garbage and he's about to earn a new pay check, I'd be suspicious.

He wasn't lackadaisical in the playoffs, but in the regular season and in his conditioning he definitely was. He took games off a lot of the time (many of them while on the court).

If there was a surgery or rehab program he could do to return to his former greatness, he should've been doing it every summer the past few years. I find it hard to believe anythings changed this time.

My guess is he'll still have injury problems, but if he does fully recover I think its due to, in part, his contract and reputation status, when it should've been due to his own pride or the potential for team success the past few years.

tland22
07-31-2009, 03:26 PM
I really hope he can get back to his elite self. It's a shame that injuries hindered his career. You never wish to see that happen to anyone, let alone some one as entertaining as tmac was back in the day.

Great comment! Yea I think he will be back, and it is extremely refreshing to hear that he expects to be elite again. I see no reason he cant be a top ten player again...last year he was clearly injured and it was his worst year...but every year before that his numbers were GREAT in reg season and playoffs...and he was playing injured...and he was STILL considered a top 10 player in the league. I think he can do it, and as an NBA fan, Im excited to see this passionate TMAC again.:clap:

LA_Raiders
07-31-2009, 04:14 PM
ok

MiamiHeat
07-31-2009, 04:21 PM
that'd be great.
I'd love to see him back as one of the games best players

+1

Verbal Christ
07-31-2009, 04:56 PM
only if they went ahead and performed that hysterectomy.

mrblisterdundee
07-31-2009, 04:57 PM
He'll be the first option when he comes back because Yao Ming is out. Other than that stroke of luck, he'll never again be anything more than a second option.

tland22
07-31-2009, 05:17 PM
if he comes back the player he was....then I disagree. He will be a 1st option

Beno7500
07-31-2009, 06:09 PM
:bla:

First thing i'd worry about is being able to play 82 games.

+1

JordansBulls
07-31-2009, 06:28 PM
He'll be the first option when he comes back because Yao Ming is out. Other than that stroke of luck, he'll never again be anything more than a second option.

Not on a contender he won't be more than a 2nd option.

ChiBulls91
07-31-2009, 07:41 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with him being a second option, and at this point in his career i bet he'd be ok with that if it means W's in the post season

D-Will4Prez
07-31-2009, 09:38 PM
Time to do that AK/Tmac trade that was discussed :D

Brooklyn Mets
07-31-2009, 10:02 PM
ive always liked T-Mac and respected what he does off the court as well.. i want to see him do good..
if he can get back to the level he was performing at when he threw the ball off the backboard to himself for the dunk in the all star game than i will be very surprised and impressed..

ggg
07-31-2009, 10:57 PM
microfracture surgery is usually a death sentence for pro athletes. i hope he can really be in top shape/better shape.

Byronicle
07-31-2009, 11:17 PM
TMac is done, he is over the hill....I am sorry to say this but he is basically a Vince carter minus the whining and moping, TMac was a great player but he is too injury prone and is apparently afraid to dunk these days because of fear he might injure his legs or something. I'm going to have to agree with Charles Barkley and that he is no longer an all-star, at most maybe a role player but no leader, the team plays better without TMac

Spurred1
07-31-2009, 11:27 PM
Best of luck to him, but I don't see how it is possible. Too many miles, years, and injuries are likely to keep affecting him. He'd be a great role player if healthy at this point.

Suns113
07-31-2009, 11:28 PM
i hope he can, the rockets will need his scoring

JordansBulls
07-31-2009, 11:33 PM
TMac is done, he is over the hill....I am sorry to say this but he is basically a Vince carter minus the whining and moping, TMac was a great player but he is too injury prone and is apparently afraid to dunk these days because of fear he might injure his legs or something. I'm going to have to agree with Charles Barkley and that he is no longer an all-star, at most maybe a role player but no leader, the team plays better without TMac

:laugh2:

Vince Carter gets 21/6/5. How is that almost done?

Trouble87
07-31-2009, 11:43 PM
glad he's being positive but what a time to want to make a comeback

T-Mac, Ariza, Brooks, Battier, and Scola aren't going to do anything in the west

D-Leethal
07-31-2009, 11:49 PM
lol, just like Jermaine Oneal's claims last season

Tmac,lt,berkman
07-31-2009, 11:53 PM
glad he's being positive but what a time to want to make a comeback

T-Mac, Ariza, Brooks, Battier, and Scola aren't going to do anything in the west

we will still beat the knicks like we do every year..

Byronicle
08-01-2009, 12:08 AM
:laugh2:

Vince Carter gets 21/6/5. How is that almost done?

I never said Carter was done, only that the cousins are comparable, except Tmac is "over the hill" and well is more injury prone and his numbers dropped big time. Carter has bad ankles and is a whiner, no one can deny that but him going to Orlando is going to make him want to work harder since he is now on a team closest to ever winning him a championship.

And numbers alone don't make a player great, Carter was on a rebuilding team where he and Devin were the scoring options. If Carter did not taint his reputation when he was with the Raptors and kept driving to the rim then he would have been one of the most dominating players presently playing, but instead he rather take the jump shots and mope on the sidelines when his team is losing.

ChiBulls91
08-01-2009, 01:24 AM
microfracture surgery is usually a death sentence for pro athletes. i hope he can really be in top shape/better shape.

I know thats true but don't forget that amar'e had that surgery. there's definitely hope:pray:

JordansBulls
08-01-2009, 09:18 AM
I never said Carter was done, only that the cousins are comparable, except Tmac is "over the hill" and well is more injury prone and his numbers dropped big time. Carter has bad ankles and is a whiner, no one can deny that but him going to Orlando is going to make him want to work harder since he is now on a team closest to ever winning him a championship.

And numbers alone don't make a player great, Carter was on a rebuilding team where he and Devin were the scoring options. If Carter did not taint his reputation when he was with the Raptors and kept driving to the rim then he would have been one of the most dominating players presently playing, but instead he rather take the jump shots and mope on the sidelines when his team is losing.

The way you worded it made it seem like you were.

GrkGawdofWalkz
08-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Wow, for a guy who basically "quit" on his team they were better without him than with him. To turn a corner, buy him out while you can and move on. Brooks and company are a much better team without him.

ChiBulls91
08-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Wow, for a guy who basically "quit" on his team they were better without him than with him. To turn a corner, buy him out while you can and move on. Brooks and company are a much better team without him.

I hate how people say he quit on his team. he was injured...

They're gonna need him this year. they have no clear leader. Brooks did great in the playoffs but i have a hard time seeing him do that for an entire season. not to mention the whole yao fiasco

Kakaroach
08-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Guess he'll just have to show us on the court what he's still capable of.

magichatnumber9
08-01-2009, 12:16 PM
prove em wrong Steve Urkel

BkOriginalOne
08-01-2009, 12:19 PM
I still think he's going to be dealt.

SensandRaps
08-01-2009, 12:36 PM
its good that t-mac thinkss he's capable but he needs to prove himself. t-mac first needs to stay healthy for at least 70 games this season. also with Yao injured t-mac needs to carry this team to the 2nd round of the western playoffs to be considered elite again imo. best of luck t-mac

skinsfan4life80
08-01-2009, 02:03 PM
Would be nice..but i wouldnt hold my breath on that one at all

JordansBulls
08-01-2009, 02:30 PM
I still think he's going to be dealt.

For maybe Hinrich and Brad Miller

SeoulBeatz
08-01-2009, 02:47 PM
kobe fans showing a lot of class in this thread... ... dot dot dot

SeoulBeatz
08-01-2009, 02:48 PM
as for t mac i hope he can get back to near what he once was because he used to be the best scorer in the NBA. he was entertaining as hell to watch.

GHOSTSNIPER
08-01-2009, 03:06 PM
I'm still trying to recover from laughter after hearing him called an elite player.If he's an elite player in the NBA I'd like to hear what this clown considers Bryant and Paul.TMac an elite player...you're killing me Larry.

tland22
08-01-2009, 03:45 PM
^^^ dont be foolish. He WAS elite....even as little as two or three years ago. He is a SUPERSTAR man, no matter how you slice it, what else do you want to hear?

drobe86
08-01-2009, 04:16 PM
If Mcgrady EXPECTS to get back to elite status, I EXPECT to win the lottery. Lol.... Mcgrady isn't even considered an all star anymore much less elite. He was averaging 15 ppg when he finally hung it up. Sorry Tmac fans but I think it's safe to say he's done, and retirement is looking like his best option........

cowboyz180
08-01-2009, 04:26 PM
that would be great for houston.

GHOSTSNIPER
08-01-2009, 04:46 PM
^^^ dont be foolish. He WAS elite....even as little as two or three years ago. He is a SUPERSTAR man, no matter how you slice it, what else do you want to hear?

Players who jack up 20+ shots a game with nothing to show for it are a dime a dozen in this league,been that way for years.They come and go.Players like TMac who don't rebound and play ZERO defense aren't elite.Sorry to burst your bubble TMac fan,that's just the truth.No matter how you slice it.

drobe86
08-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Players who jack up 20+ shots a game with nothing to show for it are a dime a dozen in this league,been that way for years.They come and go.Players like TMac who don't rebound and play ZERO defense aren't elite.Sorry to burst your bubble TMac fan,that's just the truth.No matter how you slice it.

Amen to that......

JJ81
08-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Wishful thinking.

SeoulBeatz
08-01-2009, 06:17 PM

He was a great overall talent in his prime, scoring was just his greatest trait...dont get it twisted.

22.3 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 4.7 apg, 1.3 spg, 1 bpg, 44FG%, 34%3pt.... for his career.

oh but he sucked in the playoffs right!!??? he really just never stepped it up in the playoffs...

Tracy McGradys career Playoff numbers...

28.5 ppg, 6.9 rpg, 6.1 apg, 1.3 spg, 1.1 bpg, 44FG%, 35% 3pt

he was GREAT in his prime.

he certainly isnt what he once was, but calling him a "dime a dozen" player just makes u look ignorant. plain and simple.

D-Amazins
08-01-2009, 06:34 PM

T-Mac Career RPG: 6.1
Kobe Career RPG: 5.3

Please know what your speaking of when you state something.

As for a player that averages 28.5 PPG Career in the Playoffs (3rd Highest ever) could not be a dime a dozen.

GHOSTSNIPER
08-02-2009, 02:19 AM

As for a player that averages 28.5 PPG Career in the Playoffs (3rd Highest ever) could not be a dime a dozen.

Stats are like bikinis,player...nice to look at but they don't tell the whole story.Check out Sandy Koufax's stats from his first 5 seasons in the bigs and get back at me.

Chronz
08-02-2009, 03:44 AM
Stats are like bikinis,player...nice to look at but they don't tell the whole story.Check out Sandy Koufax's stats from his first 5 seasons in the bigs and get back at me.
In other words you have no idea what your talking about, so you make a ridiculous comparison to play it off like you do.

~ShOrTy~
08-02-2009, 04:33 AM
I really feel bad for him, How can rocket fans diss him like that. They dont support him, and when he do good, they act like they never talk smack about him. I say he should go sign to a different team and start fresh there

MTar786
08-02-2009, 07:30 AM
Tmac was a beast. I don't care wat anyone says. IMO he's become a very under rated player. People seem to forget he was almost as good as Kobe a few years ago. He's still capable of being the 3rd best sg in the league

drobe86
08-02-2009, 07:45 AM
lol... I cant believe we got 5 pages of Tmac talk. This guy hasn't been relevant in at least 3 yrs. Yea he can score but so what, so can about 100 other players in the NBA. He will give you 25 and 6 for all 8 games he plays in a season.... What a waste. And how can you have faith in a player that can't even get out of round 1? TMAC is done and has been for years now.

magichatnumber9
08-02-2009, 08:47 AM
T-Miz-Ac. a beast

dee279
08-02-2009, 08:56 AM
I love T Macs mentality and i do believe he will be back. ONce one of the best players in the league, i can see him getting back to maybe not Elite but All Star status.

DitchDat
08-02-2009, 09:34 AM
I don't believe you T-Mac, wonder how that comes.
ANd he's gonna do it without Yao? lmao

JordansBulls
08-02-2009, 09:58 AM

:nod:

Byronicle
08-02-2009, 09:59 AM
If TMac's stats will go up its only because he will have more touches now that Yao Ming is injured and Ron Artest is gone, he is now their only scoring option, i cannot see Brooks, Battier or Scola taking over as the first scoring options, they are good team players but not leaders which is what Houston needs.

Byronicle
08-02-2009, 10:07 AM

Ya ok he avg the 3rd highest ppg in the playoffs but has he ever led a team past the first round? Houston did it last year in a long time without him.

And i know this may not be much of a big deal but it sort've is in most sports...when you are TMac and you are 6'8-6-9, im pretty sure you are going to have a advantage of getting more rebounds than Kobe who is at 6'6-6'7. Another thing you have to consider when comparing rebouds is that who's role is it to get the rebouds, it should be everybody but typically people point out that it is the bigs role to grab the boards. And i would like to see TMac's stats over the past 3 years for rebounds, not when he was a raptor and or a Magic playing SF and was young with tons of hops, whats important is to reconize that their is a negative correlation between the boards he is getting and the past couple of years

Lakergirl24
08-02-2009, 11:33 AM
McGrady is all talk. Hes lucky if he can come back and just be a 16ppg scorer. I think he'll be effective when he gets back, but he wont be the star he used to be. He's been through too many injuries and is 30 now.

tland22
08-02-2009, 11:53 AM

You dont know what you are talking about. You know how I know? Because when you said he plays ZERO Defense....yea mayb e last year when he was hurt, but if you have ANY basketball knowlege that goes further than the last 3 years you would know something: Youd know that on Toronto, he was KNOW as the Defebsive stopper for the team. In Orlando ALL HE DID WAS MAKE THE ALL DEFENSIVE TEAM EVERY YEAR AND WIN TWO SCORING TITLES AND SINGLE HANDEDLY TAKE HIS TEAM TO THE PLAYOSS 3 of 4 years...thats all... he plays defense man, maybe not the last two injury filled years, but who does play D when injured?

He doesnt rebound? His stats say differently for a perimeter player LOL. Again, you fail.

He is a VERY VERY GOOD passer, which is something you cant argue with. That is well known.

Jacking up 20 + shots every game? He played until feb 9th last year and only had TWO GAMES where he has more than 20 shots. So really, where you get your information form?

Even if he was jacking up shots like you say, which I already proved to you that he wasnt....TMAC is a career 44% FG% while Kobe's is 45.5% Not the biggest difference you would have thought. Thats good.

He is a SUPERSTAR...for all of the above reasons and many more I cant be bothered to feed someone. And you dont know the definition of SUPERSTAR..people know him and either hate him or love him. The fact that his NBA Jersey is #6 selling Jersey in the past 12 years should tell you something...you dont SUCK if people are buying your jerseys and coming to your games LOL... CHeck it out on Yahoo Sports if u dont believe me.

The only bubble that got bursted here was yours.

GHOSTSNIPER
08-02-2009, 12:28 PM
Lmao "Defensive stopper"...sorry but the bum who sells Laker championship shirts on the corner of Crenshaw Blvd. isn't. Marc Jacobs...selling jerseys doesn't make you an elite player,your game does.Hilarious that you would use jersey sells to determine status.Yao Ming must be a legend in your eyes then.Look Broseph the second a player has to be debated on his status automatically makes it a lost cause.There's no debating elite players.

J_M_B
08-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Lmao "Defensive stopper"...sorry but the bum who sells Laker championship shirts on the corner of Crenshaw Blvd. isn't. Marc Jacobs...selling jerseys doesn't make you an elite player,your game does.Hilarious that you would use jersey sells to determine status.Yao Ming must be a legend in your eyes then.Look Broseph the second a player has to be debated on his status automatically makes it a lost cause.There's no debating elite players.

:pity: Do you have something against T-Mac or something? I hope he comes back to All Star caliber form, so he can shut-up haters just like you.

Lakermania33
08-02-2009, 01:11 PM

I'm not calling him a quitter but if I remember correctly, after they played Boston (in Boston) last year his team mates wouldn't even say his name thinking he gave up on some plays. It doesn't matter what we think, but what about his team? I'm not going to deny the guys talent but conditioning plays a huge part in avoiding most injuries. An earlier post does raise a valid question, why this year? :eyebrow: Good luck to T-Mac and the Rocket fans who have been injury bitten for years. Hopefully, this year will be different.

JordansBulls
08-02-2009, 02:27 PM

:confused:

tland22
08-02-2009, 06:13 PM
I cant believe the guy who wrote that comment above quoted, even knows how to log on to the internet.

MajorFloridaFan
08-02-2009, 07:22 PM
He needs to improve his shot selection as he ages & his athleticism decreases. He takes so many poor shots that he sued to compensate with his athleticism, but that isn't going to work anymore. If he can play smart he can still be an impact player.

said that for years...when he was younger and with the magic he would never drive to the hope and draw a foul when we needed a few points instead he would just jack some shot up

MajorFloridaFan
08-02-2009, 07:23 PM
:pity: Do you have something against T-Mac or something? I hope he comes back to All Star caliber form, so he can shut-up haters just like you.

i got alot against t-mac