PDA

View Full Version : Debunking the myth that the Spurs are old

JordansBulls
07-30-2009, 10:48 PM
A poster named: Spurtatcus came up with this.

Thought it was interesting.

Let's take a look at the ages.

Duncan - 33
Parker - 27
Ginobili - 32
Jefferson - 29
McDyess - 34
Mason - 29
Blair - 20
Hill - 23
Haislip - 28
Finley - 36
Hairston - 22
Bonner - 29
Mahimni - 22
Ratliff - 36

The Spurs average age is 28.6 years old, for these players. The only player under contract I didn't include was Marcus Williams, who is 22, because of the likely-hood that he will not make the team.

So, continuing on, the only players on that list that are older than Duncan are:

McDyess - 34
Finley - 36
Ratliff - 36

Of those 3 players, the only one who will probably get significant minutes next season is Dice.

So, my point being, the Spurs' average age this upcoming season 28.6 years. That's old?? The two oldest players on the team, Finley and Ratliff, will not be playing large minutes next season, thus the Spurs will go with a more youthful rotation, which will look something like this:

C - McDyess/Bonner
PF - Duncan/Blair
SF - Jefferson/Finley or Haislip/Hairston
SG - Mason Jr./Ginobili
PG - Parker/Hill

As I said, though Finley will probably be backing up Jefferson, he will most likely get 10-15 minutes a game, perhaps less. Ratliff will only be in there for spot minutes when the matchups allow.

So keep calling the Spurs old, keep saying they have no chance. Because in reality, they have quietly added some firepower and gotten much younger. This ain't the Spurs of 2007 anymore.

jakesmail123
07-30-2009, 10:54 PM
thats an impressive post.
the spurs are going to have a very good season and people are putting them as a top 3 team in the west regardless of their age.
u can say they are full of veterans rather than 'old'

Vidball
07-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Their best player is 33 and (although he was putting up great stats) looked like he was moving around on one leg after the All-Star Break, their 3rd best player is 32 and has looked beaten up the past 2 seasons, and their 5th best player is 34 and will be 35 by the time the season starts. I definitely consider them an old team since their cornerstone has been playing like an aging star (though he's still playing great), and 3 of their top 5 players are between 32-35.

Having said that I think the Spurs are a top 3 team in the NBA--I'm not hating on the Spurs, but the majority of their most integral players are older than most.

S-Dot
07-31-2009, 07:39 AM
The Spurs will be fine...Odom signing with LA hurts their chances of making it to the Finals, but they will have a much better season than last year. They've had a pretty good offseason.

BUCSFORLIFE123
07-31-2009, 07:45 AM
^^ very true maaan i dunt like the lakers, its always them that ruins their chances of making it to the finals lol its crazy how the last what 10 years? its either the lakers or spurs that rep the west cept for the mavs one year. shows how dominant they both are, and it seems very likely to be the same this year

DitchDat
07-31-2009, 08:13 AM
damn this is the first time I'm seeing the big picture:

Parker, Ginobili, Duncan, Jefferson, Mason, McDyess, Ratliff, Finley, Hill....

that's a pretty stacked roster they got there.

JordansBulls
07-31-2009, 08:33 AM
^^ very true maaan i dunt like the lakers, its always them that ruins their chances of making it to the finals lol its crazy how the last what 10 years? its either the lakers or spurs that rep the west cept for the mavs one year. shows how dominant they both are, and it seems very likely to be the same this year

:nod:

J-Relo
07-31-2009, 08:37 AM
Their top 6 players (starting 5 and Ginobili) average 30.(6)...

as far as i know that counts as being pretty old

EdGein812
07-31-2009, 08:47 AM
Let's not call them old...maybe veteran or experienced. They're a terrific team however, even though they are kind of old...ish. Only the scrubs and bench warmers are truly young. The core is ageing. Nice youthful addition to the core though by bringing in Jefferson. (Does he not have the gayest tattoo ever?)

McDyess was a huge pick up. That's going to pay huge dividends for them. Probably one of the best (and biggest under-the-radar / underappreciated) moves this off-season.

younggunn113
07-31-2009, 08:56 AM
Let's not call them old...maybe veteran or experienced. They're a terrific team however, even though they are kind of old...ish. Only the scrubs and bench warmers are truly young. The core is ageing. Nice youthful addition to the core though by bringing in Jefferson. (Does he not have the gayest tattoo ever?)

McDyess was a huge pick up. That's going to pay huge dividends for them. Probably one of the best (and biggest under-the-radar / underappreciated) moves this off-season.

Well i'm willing to call Duncan old. He's 33 years old but is moving around like he's a lot older. He's played 900 regular season games, and on top of that another 160 playoff games, which equated to almost another 2 full seasons. So although he's only played 12 seasons its closer to 14. He isnt the same player he was 2 years ago. You can say check the stats and stuff, but just watch him play. The stats are similar but in a must win game hes not capable of that 30/15 game anymore like he use to be..

EdGein812
07-31-2009, 09:01 AM
Hey younggunn that was a joke. :eyebrow: Derrrr.

JayW_1023
07-31-2009, 02:58 PM
I believe we have a good mixture of veterans and young guys. We have four players who can get 30 any given night and guys who know their role.

I'm excited about the supposed improvement of George Hill and DaJuan Blair...who has been looking like an absolute steal.

We now have the depth to keep our older stars, Manu and Duncan from being worn down too quickly. A healthy Duncan is even at 33 year old still a top 3 big in the league at least....he isn't a guy who relies as much on atheltic ability and more on his skills.

GSW fan
07-31-2009, 03:03 PM
They have won being old before, they can do it again now.

NYtilIdie
07-31-2009, 03:15 PM
Duncan isn't old he can still ball with the best. Even though he's boring to watch his style of play is the reason he's still dominant to this day.

Youth wins games, but veterans win championships which is why the Spurs have won 3 this decade.

I didn't know Mason was so old he looks younger.

DCB/LAL
07-31-2009, 03:25 PM
Their top 6 players (starting 5 and Ginobili) average 30.(6)...

as far as i know that counts as being pretty old

Thats what i was gonna point out its their Core players that are getting old.

lakers4sho
07-31-2009, 03:43 PM
The Spurs are old relative to the rest of the NBA contenders.

younggunn113
07-31-2009, 03:44 PM
Too slow to follow? Do I need to add some "lol's" for you to get it? Some smiley faces, perhaps. Dipsh*t

Okay, first of all, dont come at me for answering the question. I hit quote because I was addressing the question. I'm glad sitting on PSD and trying to sound more educated or intelligent than another poster makes you feel more like a man. The truth of the matter is you're pretty pathetic for sitting there and allowing me a 4 minute window to respond to your first post. I understand the joke, but I was just addressing the thread. I mean hey, if trying to belittle another poster makes you feel better about yourself I'm all for it. Using the name dipsh*t too? Really? Its comical that you think you're the man right now for your response like you showed me up or something. I can't believe I wasted my time even addressing you in all honesty.

Back to the question though. I mean if you look at just their ages sure they aren't that old, but they all play older than they really are. They are constantly getting beat up, and sure if they stay healthy they can def. compete in the west and challenge the likes of the Lakers. They are very talented, but like I said Manu and Timmy play a lot older than their age.

adidas2307
07-31-2009, 03:55 PM
This doesn't debunk the myth, it just furthers my belief that they are old.

GSW fan
07-31-2009, 04:11 PM
the point is, all of them can still ball.

their future is bright w/ hill, blair and parker

as long as they continue to be the smartest drafters, they will be great

BoltLakerPadre
07-31-2009, 04:15 PM
Two of the big three are over 32 years old. And the next two best players are 27 and 29. Sure they may have drafted some new guys (which always means they'll be young), but the starters and guys who will get significant minutes are all old.

And with the exception of last year, the Spurs always have deep playoff runs, which just add to the wear and tear. No myth has been debunked here. Average age of over 28 and a half, and if you factor in relative playing time to age, it makes them even older.

Spurs = Old

But old isn't always horrible, with age comes experience.

JordansBulls
07-31-2009, 06:40 PM

If they are like 35 and older then yes they are old.

This is what the Celtics were when they won it all.

Garnett 31
Pierce 30
Allen 32

IndyRealist
07-31-2009, 08:00 PM
Yes, the core of the Spurs are old. But they're getting younger. They already shipped out Bowen for Jefferson, they have George Hill, Roger Mason, DeJuan Blair, and of course Tony Parker. In two years it will not be the trio of Duncan/Parker/Ginobli, it will be Parker/Blair/Jefferson with Duncan playing 4th option. And they'll likely STILL be a contender. Scary.

GSW fan
07-31-2009, 08:10 PM
Tim Duncan isnt old for a big man. If he can heal over the offseason then hes good.

Parker is still young

Ginobili is a little old, but they just got Jefferson so its less pressure on him

So they are fine

GSW fan
07-31-2009, 08:12 PM
add hill and blair and they will be contending forever

Storch
07-31-2009, 08:16 PM
The only reason that people are calling the spurs old is because:

- Tim Duncan is not as great as he used to be, and his age is showing on the court
- Bruce Bowen was an integral part of the team but is too old to be serviceable
- Ginobili gets more n more injuries as he ages

But even with all that said the Spurs are still a Contender imo, watch out.

SteveNash
07-31-2009, 08:33 PM
Average age of 29 is not young...

The problem with the Spurs is that they're not good enough to win a championship this year or in the foreseeable future and their young guys all amount to solid starters at best.

When all your rotation players are past their prime with the possible exception of Parker, your team is old.

KB24PG16
07-31-2009, 08:39 PM
The only reason that people are calling the spurs old is because:

- Tim Duncan is not as great as he used to be, and his age is showing on the court
- Bruce Bowen was an integral part of the team but is too old to be serviceable
- Ginobili gets more n more injuries as he ages

But even with all that said the Spurs are still a Contender imo, watch out.

:nod:

spurs4#5
07-31-2009, 09:45 PM
you know all i have to say is the spurs have won it before being considered old so why is it any different now?

plpfctn
07-31-2009, 09:55 PM
their best players are old except parker and RJ. Didn't know RJ was 29. thought he'd be younger.

plpfctn
07-31-2009, 09:55 PM
you know all i have to say is the spurs have won it before being considered old so why is it any different now?

when mr. know-it-all?

itsripcity32
07-31-2009, 10:00 PM
their young players are bad except for george hill. their best player they added was jefferson and hes 29. that is old.. he is the same age as the second oldest piston player

itsripcity32
07-31-2009, 10:03 PM
the point is, all of them can still ball.

their future is bright w/ hill, blair and parker

as long as they continue to be the smartest drafters, they will be great

blair hasnt proven anything but torn acls

spurs4#5
07-31-2009, 10:05 PM
when mr. know-it-all?

the past ten years...by all the experts saying the spurs are to old and they cant...where have you been they say it every year???

itsripcity32
07-31-2009, 10:05 PM
If they are like 35 and older then yes they are old.

This is what the Celtics were when they won it all.

Garnett 31
Pierce 30
Allen 32

cause they were a newly put together team with vets who couldnt win a championship on their own

papirico52
07-31-2009, 10:16 PM
they are old and BOOOOOOOOOORING to watch

smith&wesson
07-31-2009, 10:37 PM
Duncan - 33
Parker - 27
Ginobili - 32
Jefferson - 29
McDyess - 34
Mason - 29
Finley - 36

those are your main guys. with the acception of hill which is promicing...

the spurs really are old. they are probably the oldest team in the leauge..
thats doesnt make them bad... old in the nba doesnt mean your a grandfather. it just means your window is closing.. they still have a chance but the window of opertunity is closing as duncan gets older and slower.

when ever the spurs are in the finals, the nba beats records for low ratings... the truth is they soo boaring they look old. how many times can you watch timmy bust a 2 ft jumper off glass... (yawn)

plpfctn
07-31-2009, 11:08 PM

LOL. ditto.

Trouble87
07-31-2009, 11:50 PM
their stars/go-to guys are all over 30 with the exception of Parker

Spurs are still a old team in my book cause of Ginobili & Duncan... their aging bodies are fragile when it comes to playing 82 game season then the post season.

Take Duncan or Ginobili away who really cares about the Spurs?

They are "the team"

NYtilIdie
08-01-2009, 12:06 AM
Well that "boring" style of play won them 3 championships.

With Duncan's style of play he can play as long as Mutumbo did he isn't a guy who relied on athletic abilities to get where he is today he relied on his skills which is why he's still a dominant player even at his age.

JordansBulls
08-01-2009, 12:14 AM
Average age of 29 is not young...

The problem with the Spurs is that they're not good enough to win a championship this year or in the foreseeable future and their young guys all amount to solid starters at best.

When all your rotation players are past their prime with the possible exception of Parker, your team is old.

How young do you need to be?

TRF929
08-01-2009, 12:17 AM
their stars/go-to guys are all over 30 with the exception of Parker

Spurs are still a old team in my book cause of Ginobili & Duncan... their aging bodies are fragile when it comes to playing 82 game season then the post season.

Take Duncan or Ginobili away who really cares about the Spurs?

They are "the team"

That is the most ******** sentence that I have ever read on this site.
Take away 2 of the best players away from any team, and that team is nothing.
Kobe/Gasol
Howard/Lewis
LeBron/Shaq
KG/Pierce

Yes the Spurs are one of the oldest teams, oldest core players and yet they still win championships, so much for your young team which ever one that may be.
I'll take Duncan/Manu over the top 2 of any other team except maybe Kobe/Gasol. Thats a good push right there.

SeoulBeatz
08-01-2009, 12:26 AM
they are still an old team. but they are my darkhorse pick to win the west. if everything clicks they are my favs to win it all

AWC713
08-01-2009, 12:47 AM
if youre going to take out old players not logging minutes, take out the younger players not playing that pull the "average age" down.

like...mahimni (22)

and no one knows how much blair (20) will play.

JayW_1023
08-01-2009, 06:56 AM
People seem to forget that great chemistry between players is much more vital than making a team look good on paper. And with Pop and Tim Duncan as the leaders chemistry will always be great.

JordansBulls
08-01-2009, 01:11 PM
cause they were a newly put together team with vets who couldnt win a championship on their own

Still doesn't change they were all in the 30's.