PDA

View Full Version : jays keeping everyone

alchemist0123
07-30-2009, 08:29 PM
should the jays just stay put and field the same team next year???

hoping their young hurlers get healthy and get a bat they should be able to hang around with the big boys in AL East

leafsjays1
07-30-2009, 08:35 PM
No

Bluerapoileagle
07-30-2009, 08:48 PM
The team might be good, but it won't be good enough to make the playoffs if they keep the same team. They need to make some big off-season aquisistions (and not trade Doc) if they want to compete against the Yankees, Red Sox and Rays.

bomber0104
07-30-2009, 09:04 PM
the answer is a ****ing "HELL NO"!!!!!!!!

you have to be a moron to think this team actually has a chance next year. We just got 3-hit my Rowland smith for goodness sake

Nocturnal Rat
07-30-2009, 09:10 PM
They either rebuild and start trading some pieces away to stock up the farm system now and in the off-season so that they can compete in a few years or go and get some players and try to compete for a couple of years, if that failed, they will have to rebuild anyway and that might end up taking much longer before they will make the play-off again.

The worst would be just sending out the same team and hoping everyone will stay healthy, because the team is not quite good enough and they will not be able to compete despite what J.P. says. They will then just end up having to rebuild for a long time without ever being competitive.

dtmagnet
07-30-2009, 09:20 PM
If they put the same product on the field next year they'll get the same result.

Spiderdan22
07-30-2009, 09:22 PM
Blow it up

StealingSigns
07-30-2009, 11:22 PM
^I'll get the TNT.

Sorry to the OP, but this team needs to go ka-boom.

Habs n Jays Fan
07-30-2009, 11:34 PM
As much as I'd love to see this team compete next year, the odds are stacked against us. The ONLY way this team even sniffs the post-season is if Hill and Lind put up similar numbers as they are now, Wells and Rios return to their 30 HR/100 RBI form, Rolen ups his offence a bit(think 15-20 HR 75+ RBI up), Overbay needs to return to his 2006 form, Scutaro repeats and Snider breaks out and does what he's capable of at age 22. And that's just the offence.

The pitching would need to be healthy for once(when was the last time we actually had a full rotation from start to finish?), Halladay would need to be Halladay(ok that's a pretty good guarantee), Romero would need progress and avoid a sophomore jinx, Marcum would need to return to form, Cecil would need to be as solid as a rookie can be and the 5th starter would need to be capable of giving us 10-15 Quality Starts. Not to mention the bullpen would need to return to 2008 form and avoid the thus far aweful 2009.

Asking for all that to happen is a lot to ask for and a BIG risk to bank on. As much as I would hate to see a rebuild, it might be the smarter road to take. We aren't the Yankees or Red Sox, we can't just buy the best talent year in, year out and avoid rebuilding for 20+ years. And the ONLY way a rebuild can happen is if JP is NOT apart of it in any capacity(at least going forward).

Bluerapoileagle
07-30-2009, 11:49 PM
^^Yeah, I agree, everything would have to go almost perfect for the Jays to compete with this roster.

However, there is potential for some of these guys I believe (like Lind, Hill, Snider, etc), but they need to get a big bat, a perenial 30-40 home run hiter like Bay or Holliday if they're avalible.

CaptainBolduke
07-30-2009, 11:58 PM
It would be extremely bizarre if this team stayed with the status quo. This team finished 4th last year and is going to finish 4th again this year. Why would the same group of players all of sudden be able to beat two of Tampa, Boston, and the Yanks next season?

Remaing status quo is not an option.

BlueJayFanDan
07-31-2009, 12:54 AM
I think our starting pitching will be very good next year because we are so deep and our young guys like Cecil and Romero will have that year of experience and be even better possibly next year. I love Hill and Lind and Rolen but we need to add some bats. If Scutaro comes back and can produce again that would be really helpful. If Wells and Rios can get back to form that too would be a huge boost and if not both of them I think Snider could be ready by next year so maybe he gives the lineup a boost. We could also look at bringing in a moderately priced outfielder like Johnny Damon or Brian Giles or Rick Ankiel maybe. Which then leaves us catcher and 1st base which have some decent free agent options. Maybe we make a move on Varitek if he decides to test free agency or Bengie Molina at catcher. They are both capable of good leadership and hitting well. Then that leaves first base which possibly Lind could convert or we take a chance on Dopirak or we get another free agent such as Nick Johnson or Aubrey Huff maybe. That leaves us with our bullpen. We need Tallet and Janssen both back in the bullpen. Camp and Carlson can both be pretty good at times. Hayhurst looked great until we sent him back down. Frasor and Downs could both be capable of being closers. I know Downs has had some bad outings as closer but I still think he could do it. So basically we need hitting and a consistent bullpen and I think we are capable of a playoff run. If we want to be legit we must spend some cash this offseason which Ricciardi seems to be good at doing but I do think he will be gone at the end of the year so who knows. I think a playoff run with this team is possible if we make moves. We will just have to wait I guess.

B2theRY
07-31-2009, 09:01 AM
i said in the draft trade forum....

JP wont do ****!
they will make no trades
they'll fire his ***
and the new guy will come in and do everything.
so 2010 will be a lost year
DOC will have to sign or be dealt

and 2012 theyll try to compete.

wamco
07-31-2009, 09:23 AM
people just need to go to the games to inspire ownership to raise payroll. That gives us a better chance than rebuilding.

MaHaRaJaH
07-31-2009, 11:14 AM
the answer is a ****ing "HELL NO"!!!!!!!!

you have to be a moron to think this team actually has a chance next year. We just got 3-hit my Rowland smith for goodness sake

Why? If we had THIS year's offensive output in last year's team (with the pitching staff) don't you think we'd be at least some 5-6 games better? seeing how this team was 24-32 in one run games- with a team ERA of 3.46.

bomber0104
07-31-2009, 11:22 AM
Why? If we had THIS year's offensive output in last year's team (with the pitching staff) don't you think we'd be at least some 5-6 games better? seeing how this team was 24-32 in one run games- with a team ERA of 3.46.

IF.IF.IF.IF.IF

how much longer are we gonna wait for all these ifs to take place? we have been doing it for the last 3 years and we still haven't had a meaningfull game in September. This team is never going to win anything the way its assembled so we might as well break it up now instead of waiting 2 more years

Bluerapoileagle
07-31-2009, 11:39 AM
What's unfortunate is I saw somewhere that the Blue Jays are 11-20 in one run games, but if they split all of those run one games, I think they would have something like 59 wins and be competing with the Yankees.

CaptainBolduke
07-31-2009, 11:50 AM
Less then 4 and half hours to go and the Jays are still sitting at status quo. wow...

Rochesta
07-31-2009, 02:22 PM
I think you make two signings/trades and call it a day next offseason. Bullpen help and a DH. I really think that this team as competitive this year if the rotation had stayed healthier. Remember, we've lost how many walk-off games on the road, and how many 1-run games? Its not like we go around getting blown out. Its really not going to take a huge change to make this team competitive.

T.O. Fan
07-31-2009, 02:29 PM
BlueJayFanDan

]I think our starting pitching will be very good next year because we are so deep and our young guys like Cecil and Romero will have that year of experience and be even better possibly next year.

I'm not positive, but I think there's usually a regression with young pitchers there second full year in the majors.

Jamiecballer
07-31-2009, 02:34 PM
Stay the course... it's easy to get frustrated with the way things fell apart this year but we have consider that a number of things have conspired to sabotage our season to this point....

1. We lost Litsch, McGowan, Marcum almost the entire season. Granted it's sounding like McGowan might never make it back but that's still 3/5ths of an excellent rotation lost. If Marcum and Litsch recover and our young arms like Romero and Cecil continue to make progress we could have a very nice rotation again next year.

2. I don't know about everybody else but every time I turned on the radio or checked the sports pages online and saw YET ANOTHER BLUE JAY WAS OUT AND NEEDING SURGERY it felt like a kick in the groin. For the first 2 months of this season we managed to play great baseball but I think it had to have really taken its toll on the team as well.

3. The Roy Halladay saga has to be a major distraction for this team.

Combine points 2 and 3 and I think it took the wind outta the Blue Jays sails and stretched our pitching too thin.

Jays Claw
07-31-2009, 02:39 PM
They should make a run at Matt Holliday this off season.

CaptainBolduke
07-31-2009, 02:44 PM
Stay the course... it's easy to get frustrated with the way things fell apart this year but we have consider that a number of things have conspired to sabotage our season to this point....

1. We lost Litsch, McGowan, Marcum almost the entire season. Granted it's sounding like McGowan might never make it back but that's still 3/5ths of an excellent rotation lost. If Marcum and Litsch recover and our young arms like Romero and Cecil continue to make progress we could have a very nice rotation again next year.

2. I don't know about everybody else but every time I turned on the radio or checked the sports pages online and saw YET ANOTHER BLUE JAY WAS OUT AND NEEDING SURGERY it felt like a kick in the groin. For the first 2 months of this season we managed to play great baseball but I think it had to have really taken its toll on the team as well.

3. The Roy Halladay saga has to be a major distraction for this team.

Combine points 2 and 3 and I think it took the wind outta the Blue Jays sails and stretched our pitching too thin.

Even with Marcum and Litsch back we are still not a better team then two of Tamapa Bay, Boston, and NY. Rememeber now, we need to be at least better then 2 of those teams to make the playoffs.

With just over an hour left until the deadline I think it's pretty safe to say that we will do nothing to improve the future of our team today.

sheps88
07-31-2009, 02:49 PM
Great another 70 games of this horsedung product the Jays are giving us. How are we to compete when Boston goes out and gets Victor Martinez and we sit on our hands. Too many pieces were avail this year and could have potentially made us better in the future. Instead we get to watch VW and Rios stink the joint out and the rest of the guys as well. This team will not be competing for the division title next year either and we'll all be in for another long summer.

Time to pull out the 92 CD of the Jays winning... With the Blue Jays rap by Tom C and Jerry H.

MaHaRaJaH
07-31-2009, 02:51 PM
IF.IF.IF.IF.IF

how much longer are we gonna wait for all these ifs to take place? we have been doing it for the last 3 years and we still haven't had a meaningfull game in September. This team is never going to win anything the way its assembled so we might as well break it up now instead of waiting 2 more years

It's a Big _POSSIBLE IF_ and you know it.

MaHaRaJaH
07-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Even with Marcum and Litsch back we are still not a better team then two of Tamapa Bay, Boston, and NY. Rememeber now, we need to be at least better then 2 of those teams to make the playoffs.

With just over an hour left until the deadline I think it's pretty safe to say that we will do nothing to improve the future of our team today.

Tampa Bay was the same team as the blue jays last year, only they for some reason had their RISP .30 points higher than us, which allowed them to win those One Run Ball games we lost.

MaHaRaJaH
07-31-2009, 02:53 PM
What's unfortunate is I saw somewhere that the Blue Jays are 11-20 in one run games, but if they split all of those run one games, I think they would have something like 59 wins and be competing with the Yankees.

Which was the EXACT same case last year. Only this year our BP is bailing on us to.