PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte Bobcats - Are they: BETTER, WORSE, or THE SAME as Last Year?

Chronz
07-30-2009, 08:19 PM
Ive heard both sides as to why the Chandler trade made them better/worse. Each side has legitimate claims;

1)The offense sucked already, might as well improve the defense
or
2)Okafor was the better overall player to build around

What do you guys think, how many wins are we lookin at in either event

Spurred1
07-30-2009, 08:22 PM
I don't think this helps the Bobcats improve. Chandler is injured often and may have been a product of Chris Paul more than anything else. Keeping Okafor and building around him seems more logical. So does the deal help the Cats financially?

goheelsgovols
07-30-2009, 08:28 PM
I don't think this helps the Bobcats improve. Chandler is injured often and may have been a product of Chris Paul more than anything else. Keeping Okafor and building around him seems more logical. So does the deal help the Cats financially?

it helps the bobcats financially and also gives them a true center they have been looking for...it also allows diaw for play 35 mins a night at the 4 where he can be a matchup problem....i think we got better but thats just my own opinion

dee279
07-30-2009, 08:33 PM
I say better just because of the coaching of Larry Brown. And more experience for their young players. I dont think Tyson Chandler betters this team but does add the size that they lacked.

Spurred1
07-30-2009, 08:34 PM
^Well, we shall find out. Chandler has to stay healthy for the Cats to improve. But I'm guessing he passed the medical exam or else the trade would have been called off.

Lakers4ItAll
07-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Chandler helps there D and Omeka wasn't a player to build around so the trade makes them better. You may not always have a great offense but you can always have a good defense

DerekRE_3
07-30-2009, 09:01 PM
I think that just by having the team that Larry Brown wants throughout training camp is going to help them. They did a LOT of mid-season trades last year and it's tough to gel and create chemistry when you do that since there really isn't much practice time once the season gets going. It was 2 weeks before Radmanovic participated in a practice after he was traded to the Bobcats, yet he still did pretty well.

They made a decent run at the end of the year when they had Felton/Bell/Wallace/Diaw/Okafor at the end of the year. Think about what they can do with this lineup when they have a full training camp and preseason together.

Tyson Chandler/Gana Diop/Nazr Mohammed
Boris Diaw/Radmanovic/Derrick Brown
Gerald Wallace/Radmanovic/Derrick Brown
Raja Bell/Gerald Henderson/Dontell Jefferson
Raymond Felton/DJ Augustin/Dontell Jefferson

I personally think Chandler fits our team better. He can defend the pick and roll much better than Okafor could since his lateral quickness is so much better than Okafor's. The problem with Emeka was he was too slow to be a PF, and on the short side at Center. Also Okafor never really improved offensively since he was a rookie. His mid range shot isn't great, and his post moves leave something to be desired as well. He also didn't have the greatest hands and had trouble catching balls coming out of the pick and roll and tended to get blocked a lot on inside shots.

Chandler isn't much offensively either, but he can run and keep up with guys like Felton, Augustin, Diaw, and Wallace. People may say that all of Chandler's offense came from Chris Paul, but the Bobcats have several good passers in Raymond Felton, DJ Augustin, Boris Diaw, and even Gerald Wallace.

dtmagnet
07-30-2009, 09:14 PM
I don't think Chandler is a downgrade as a lot of people seem to believe, if anything its a lateral move that got them a player they felt could fit their system better so it may work out for them. I won't say they are better after the trade nor are they worse, so I say they are the same as the team that they were in the 2nd half of the season.

tland22
07-30-2009, 10:45 PM
i think the trade made both teams better. It made Bobcats better, I predict they get 6 more wins in all honesty.

what54!?
07-30-2009, 10:49 PM
their basically still the same. Defense isn't there problem they need some offense

yanksknicksgmen
07-30-2009, 11:01 PM
a little worse chandler gets hurt alot

tland22
07-30-2009, 11:16 PM
How? How does "CHANDLER GET HURT ALOT"??????? IM sick of people saying that. He doesnt! He has had only ONE season where he didnt play over 72 games before last year. Can you people understand that? he isnt an injury prone guy. Jeez so many people are just sheep who babble other things they hear and they dont check up on things for themselves. This sick society we live in.

ARMIN12NBA
07-30-2009, 11:23 PM
I think that just by having the team that Larry Brown wants throughout training camp is going to help them. They did a LOT of mid-season trades last year and it's tough to gel and create chemistry when you do that since there really isn't much practice time once the season gets going. It was 2 weeks before Radmanovic participated in a practice after he was traded to the Bobcats, yet he still did pretty well.

They made a decent run at the end of the year when they had Felton/Bell/Wallace/Diaw/Okafor at the end of the year. Think about what they can do with this lineup when they have a full training camp and preseason together.

Tyson Chandler/Gana Diop/Nazr Mohammed
Boris Diaw/Radmanovic/Derrick Brown
Gerald Wallace/Radmanovic/Derrick Brown
Raja Bell/Gerald Henderson/Dontell Jefferson
Raymond Felton/DJ Augustin/Dontell Jefferson

I personally think Chandler fits our team better. He can defend the pick and roll much better than Okafor could since his lateral quickness is so much better than Okafor's. The problem with Emeka was he was too slow to be a PF, and on the short side at Center. Also Okafor never really improved offensively since he was a rookie. His mid range shot isn't great, and his post moves leave something to be desired as well. He also didn't have the greatest hands and had trouble catching balls coming out of the pick and roll and tended to get blocked a lot on inside shots.

Chandler isn't much offensively either, but he can run and keep up with guys like Felton, Augustin, Diaw, and Wallace. People may say that all of Chandler's offense came from Chris Paul, but the Bobcats have several good passers in Raymond Felton, DJ Augustin, Boris Diaw, and even Gerald Wallace.

^ This. I have to add though. Chandler and Wallace have to stay healthy though. Otherwise I love the fit with the players. They are obviously going to be a very solid defensive team and depending on health and the development of Augustin, they can be decent at running and gunning with the athleticism of DJ, Felton, Wallace, Diaw, and Chandler. Not to mention they have outside shooting in Bell and Radmanovic. They do have a depth problem, but I like their squad as a dark horse to upset teams throughout the year and maybe snag an 8th spot if things go right. I never go against Larry Brown though. He knows what he is doing.

ARMIN12NBA
07-30-2009, 11:26 PM
How? How does "CHANDLER GET HURT ALOT"??????? IM sick of people saying that. He doesnt! He has had only ONE season where he didnt play over 72 games before last year. Can you people understand that? he isnt an injury prone guy. Jeez so many people are just sheep who babble other things they hear and they dont check up on things for themselves. This sick society we live in.

It's not that he is injury prone. The problem lies in the fact that there were very serious concerns over his health and injury problems last year. Remember, some injuries could linger and his injury was so much a cause for concern that the Thunder nixed their trade for him.

cowboyz180
07-30-2009, 11:29 PM
i think the trade made them worse

DerekRE_3
07-31-2009, 03:44 AM
^ This. I have to add though. Chandler and Wallace have to stay healthy though. Otherwise I love the fit with the players. They are obviously going to be a very solid defensive team and depending on health and the development of Augustin, they can be decent at running and gunning with the athleticism of DJ, Felton, Wallace, Diaw, and Chandler. Not to mention they have outside shooting in Bell and Radmanovic. They do have a depth problem, but I like their squad as a dark horse to upset teams throughout the year and maybe snag an 8th spot if things go right. I never go against Larry Brown though. He knows what he is doing.

Yep, and that's a legitimate question mark with Tyson's injury history with his toe and ankle, and Gerald Wallace's general lack of regard for his body when he plays.

arkanian215
07-31-2009, 09:19 AM
chandler is a downgrade from okafor. the cats are trying to save money, probably to help sell the team. they should be better though since they'll get their first season together with diaw and bell in the mix.

S-Dot
07-31-2009, 09:29 AM
Okafor fit in very well with this team; though the trade helps them financially it doesnt help on the court. Have they signed Felton back yet?

Kakaroach
07-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Worse for now but we'll have to see how it plays out. If Chandler stays healthy, then maybe it works out for em. But now they really need some offense.

J-Relo
07-31-2009, 12:48 PM
Okafor is better than Chandler? especially on D