PDA

View Full Version : The best second unit in the NBA

Macedonian
07-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Do the Raps have the best 2-nd unit in the NBA?
What are your thoughts?

Raptors' second unit Season 2008/09 - Averaged as starters
Games started Pts Reb Ast Stl Blk
PG Jarrett Jack 53 15.4 3.6 4.6 1.2 0.3
G Marco Belinelli 23 11.3 2.1 2.9 1.0 0.0
SF Antoine Wright 53 9.0 2.4 1.4 0.7 0.9
PF Reggie Evans 7 5.7 6.7 0.4 0.3 0.0
C Rasho Nestorovic 19 9.6 5.0 3.0 0.5 0.8Also, there are good chances next days to get Kleiza or Delfino, too!

Jays Claw
07-30-2009, 02:38 PM
They have a deep bench and a solid second unit but I don't know if it's the best in the league.

Nexus
07-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Ugh, I wish you had of made this a poll with several other good benches mentioned. Now we get flamed. Orlando has a better bench, Cleveland, Boston and Washington all have good benches. Even Golden State has a pretty good bench. Nice to be in the conversation though.

Lakers4ItAll
07-30-2009, 03:18 PM
****in homer

aman_13
07-30-2009, 03:19 PM
You should have added more options.

Kyben36
07-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Bulls ( Maybe a homer call but its damn good )

Kirk Hinrich ( Worthy starter )
Janero Pargo ( a scorer, who did well with the Hornets )
James Johnson ( depending on your outlook, he is a pretty good Rok.
Taj Gibson ( OK hustle Player )
Brad Milller ( a half a year ago, he was a starter, he is a tough inside presence for us )

I think that the Bulls have one hell of a 2nd unit.

aman_13
07-30-2009, 03:21 PM
They have one of the best benches, this could of been a better thread if you added a poll with more teams to consider.

AllDay28
07-30-2009, 03:21 PM
That second unit is not better than

PG- Blake/Bayless
SG- Rudy Fernandez
SF- Martell Webster
PF- Travis Outlaw
C- Joel Pryzbilla

Ruggy
07-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Not only should more choices have been offered, the stats are inflated due to the minutes that came along with starting. So while they do have a nice deep bench I'm not sure it can be considered the best, but very possibly top 5.

Macedonian
07-30-2009, 03:25 PM
this could of been a better thread if you added a poll with more teams to consider.Probably yes, but I can't change it now... Maybe the mods could help!

Hellcrooner
07-30-2009, 03:30 PM
blazers is the deepst bench , crap blazers bench would make the playoffs in the east

B.JenningsMVP
07-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Orlando Magic

Er1c
07-30-2009, 03:36 PM
lol of course not. far from the best. blazers are the best

Jay22Redd
07-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Blazers probably have the best bench imo

Lakers4ItAll
07-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Blazers/Magic have the best bench

dtmagnet
07-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Not the best, but it's very good especially compared to the Raptors bench of last year.

JWO35
07-30-2009, 04:14 PM
When you have Reggie Evans on your roster....:pity:

Jays Claw
07-30-2009, 04:16 PM
The Orlando Magic and Portland Trailblazers currently have the deepest benches in the NBA.

IBleedPurple
07-30-2009, 04:16 PM
I think Toronto & Chicago have good benches, a few other teams that aren't coming to mind.

& while portland has a good bench, they're not the best by any means.

tland22
07-30-2009, 04:53 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHA it is so funny because you are serously asking that question in this thread. Dont be such a homer. OF COURSE NOT. The Raps wont make the playoffs....again. Sorry man.

Try to put up a list of maybe 7 or 8 teams with good a good bench, then we can decide.

Lakers4ItAll
07-30-2009, 04:56 PM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHA it is so funny because you are serously asking that question in this thread. Dont be such a homer. OF COURSE NOT. The Raps wont make the playoffs....again. Sorry man.

Try to put up a list of maybe 7 or 8 teams with good a good bench, then we can decide.

You are wrong there Hedo will make them a much better team and they do have a good bench just not the best. POR/ORL have the best

Kidddd
07-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Do the Raps have the best 2-nd unit in the NBA?Probably yes, but I like the Blazers' bench as well.

smuffins353
07-30-2009, 06:22 PM
rockets
lowry
landry
nuf said *****

Murphy_Dee
07-30-2009, 06:22 PM
I think theirbench is very good now, but the stats of the players provided are all from their games as starters, so maybe its not the best way to gauge their impact (as they won't be starting this year presumabely).

cowboyz180
07-30-2009, 06:24 PM
mavs have a pretty deep bench

Rylz
07-30-2009, 06:26 PM
The Jazz deserve to be at least mentioned. Now they have.

MacFitz92
07-30-2009, 06:30 PM
Dallas Mavs is up for discussion as well.

Bench:
Jason Terry -- Not to mention he was the 6th man of the year winner.
Drew Gooden
JJ Barea
Tim Thomas
Ryan Hollins

DaoudS
07-30-2009, 06:32 PM
lol this was a terrible way to execute this thread. The Raptors don't have the deepest bench in the league; I think Blazers do hands down. Though the Raptors do have a bench that is vastly improved from last year and certainly better than most teams.

Chateamsfan
07-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Bobcats Bench:
Nazr Mohammed
Derrick Brown
Vlad Radmanovic
Gerald Henderson
DJ Augustin
Gana Diop
Alexis Ajinca
Cartier Martin
Dontell Jefferson

How bout that?
I know its not the best but where does that rank among NBA Benches?

DaoudS
07-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Bobcats Bench:
Nazr Mohammed
Derrick Brown
Vlad Radmanovic
Gerald Henderson
DJ Augustin
Gana Diop
Alexis Ajinca
Cartier Martin
Dontell Jefferson

How bout that?
I know its not the best but where does that rank among NBA Benches?

Fairly low IMO. Ajinca, Diop and Mohammed are centers who don't really have any offensive game - though Diop and Mohammed are decent defenders. Radmonvoic is inconsistent at best. I do love DJ Augustin and Gerald Henderson - those guys could spell trouble for a lot of 2nd units around the league. Also, if the Bobcats end up signing AI; you can add Raja Bell to that second unit. Augustine - Bell - Henderson - Vlad - Diop/Mohammed would make a decent bench.

J_M_B
07-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Blazers have the deepest bench with Orlando not that far behind. I think the Raptors have a very good bench, but don't have the best second unit.

BlondeBomber41
07-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Hell no its not the Raptors. Plenty of teams that have a better bench than that.

lorenz00
07-30-2009, 07:15 PM
good enough to contend to other benches :D

nbaguy123
07-30-2009, 07:17 PM
its a very good bench... just not one of the best second units. top ten at best

LanceUpperCut
07-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Maybe the biggest turn around from last season to this season but no way the best between 4-7 best I'd say see what else B.C. has up his sleeve.

bogdanrom
07-30-2009, 07:54 PM
No its not the best, but it's good. You should have added more teams. May I recommend the Wiz, depending on we start we have a pretty legit bench.

PG Crittenton/ Mike James
SF Young/ Stevenson
SF Mike Miller/ McGuire
PF Andray Blatche
C McGee/Oberto

or

PG Randy Foye/ Crittenton
SG Young/ Stevenson
SF McGuire
PF Andray Blatche
C McGee/ Oberto

Anthony Flores
07-30-2009, 08:01 PM
Blazers by farr.

Anthony Flores
07-30-2009, 08:02 PM
No its not the best, but it's good. You should have added more teams. May I recommend the Wiz, depending on we start we have a pretty legit bench.

PG Crittenton/ Mike James
SF Young/ Stevenson
SF Mike Miller/ McGuire
PF Andray Blatche
C McGee/Oberto

or

PG Randy Foye/ Crittenton
SG Young/ Stevenson
SF McGuire
PF Andray Blatche
C McGee/ Oberto

Top 5 easy.

EastCoastBaller
07-30-2009, 08:07 PM
There bench is not that great... I like Celtics and Cavs bench

Cavs

Gibson
A. Parker
J. Moon
J. Hickson
Big Z

?
Eddie House
M. Daniels
G. Davis?? If he re-signs
R. Wallace

dee279
07-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Blazers

JWO35
07-30-2009, 08:16 PM
The bench of the year goes to the Toronto Raptors amrite?

tland22
07-30-2009, 08:16 PM
You are wrong there Hedo will make them a much better team and they do have a good bench just not the best. POR/ORL have the best

I COMPLETELY 100% DISAGREE. They will not make the playoffs, and im getting tired of saying it. Im just going to wait until the season starts and when the Raps start TANKING it, I will just rub it in...LOL Just kidding, but seriously, I will remind you. ;) I dont think Hedo will be that good in all honesty. Sorry.

and to the Guy above, YEA the Wiz do have a solid bench! I agree. Atlanta Hawk and GSWarriors should be in the Convo as well in my opinion. Rockets as well...out score every other bench in the NBA. Cavs bench looks great as well.

May I suggest the Hornets bench? Certainly not the best, probly not even top 10, but I would say top 15 maybe?

Antonio Daniels/ Darren Collison from UCLA
Mo Pete/
Peja Stojakovic - off bench this year/ James POSEY
Ike Diogu
Hilton Armstrong/ Sean Marks (certainly the weakest section of this bench)

Peja, Po-z, Mo Pete, and Antonio Daniels are all respectable bench players. Weak as any team out there though at the C position.

goheelsgovols
07-30-2009, 08:17 PM
what a homer

jarret jack is serviceable but the rest suck

rasho is ****** as hell
marco is unproven
antione wright is a 1st round bust
and reggie evans cant do anything

Vinny642
07-30-2009, 08:22 PM
Not th ebest but pretty alright, Magic have a great bench and so does the Blazers.

Lakergirl24
07-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Magic, Blazers have the best 2 units. On paper, I like the clippers too

Hellcrooner
07-30-2009, 10:25 PM
teams where this benchmen would start:

A Miller: Lak,Sac,GS,Hou,Minn,NY,PHI,Cha,Orl,Mia,Det,Mil,Ind i

Bayless: Lak,Sac,Gs,Hou,Minn,NY,pHi,Mia,Det,MIl,Ind

Rudy:Clip,Pho,No,Sa,Hou,Okc,Uta,Minn,Den,NY,NJ,Phi ,Tor,Chi,Was,Cha.

Webster:NO,Hou,Uta,Minn,Den,Ny,Nj,Phi,Tor,Chi,Was, Cha

Outlow:Clip, Pho, No, Sa, HOu, Okc, Uta, Minn, Den, Ny, Phi, Tor, CHi, Was, CHa

Pryzbila:Pho,Sac,Dall,Sa,Hou,Okc,Den,NY,Bos,Tor,Ph i,Cha,Atl,Mia,Det,Chi,Ind,

Close thread

tland22
07-30-2009, 11:18 PM
^^^^^ WOW! Im sorry but I disagree with NUMEROUS teams on your list but I cant be bothered to explain myself. NUMEROUS disagreements that I have a hard time believing you would refute.

Keep thread open.

Macedonian
07-30-2009, 11:45 PM

Pryzbila:Pho,Sac,Dall,Sa,Hou,Okc,Den,NY,Bos,Tor,Ph i,Cha,Atl,Mia,Det,Chi,Ind
Outlow, Webster, Rudy and Pryzbila would start for Toronto??? :confused:
So, you think that Calderon, Turkoglu, Bosh and Bargnani should be on the bench? :rolleyes:

You know nothing about basketball!

itsripcity32
07-31-2009, 12:17 AM
****in homer

agreed

itsripcity32
07-31-2009, 12:19 AM
Bulls ( Maybe a homer call but its damn good )

Kirk Hinrich ( Worthy starter )
Janero Pargo ( a scorer, who did well with the Hornets )
James Johnson ( depending on your outlook, he is a pretty good Rok.
Taj Gibson ( OK hustle Player )
Brad Milller ( a half a year ago, he was a starter, he is a tough inside presence for us )

I think that the Bulls have one hell of a 2nd unit.

kirk is probably the only good backup. everyone else is garbage

Beno7500
07-31-2009, 12:43 AM
Not toronto

plpfctn
07-31-2009, 04:07 AM
the raptors with the best second unit? the freakin' tar heels have a better bench.

Legitimate
07-31-2009, 04:12 AM
LOL. The raps do have a top-ten bench but not the best, haha. The NBA will once again have to respect the Raps bench, just like the 06-07 season.

oogaboogaman
07-31-2009, 05:39 AM
yeah, as everyone else said. the blazers bench is easily the best. Blake, fernandez, outlaw, joel could all easily be starting. o wait. blake and joel were already starters for the team. Fernadez deserves to be a starter if he wasnt playing behind Roy, and outlaw could be starting as well if he wasnt meant to be another scoring bunch off the bench.

Thats a bench that should easily average 40 points a game depending how minutes are spread out, which is a lot for any bench
I rather have the blazer bench then the miami, minnasota, milwaukee, indiana, new jersey, and sacramento's starters for example.

heatbb
07-31-2009, 06:49 AM
Blazers. As someone said before, it has a good chance at making the PO. :D

OA SLAY
07-31-2009, 07:15 AM
No...Knicks starting 5 is thebest by far!

azkarraga
07-31-2009, 07:18 AM
i going with the blazers

Hellcrooner
07-31-2009, 03:45 PM
Outlow, Webster, Rudy and Pryzbila would start for Toronto??? :confused:
So, you think that Calderon, Turkoglu, Bosh and Bargnani should be on the bench? :rolleyes:

You know nothing about basketball!
calderon is a pg as far as i know

rudy, webster and outlow can ALL play sg and your starting sg SUCKS unkess beinelli makes some miracle resurrection.

pryz would start at Center any day of the week sine he IS a center unless bargs who is a sf or pf,

Hellcrooner
07-31-2009, 03:46 PM
o i get it you are so thick headed thaT YOU Thought i said they woulld all start at the same time,...... wich is not the case.

bogdanrom
07-31-2009, 05:55 PM

Close thread

One quick question? Do you know anything about basketball or maybe the NBA? Because if you would not have listen all those teams you just put. I'm just going to go over some of them.

Pryzbilla starting for Charlotte? Uhmmm They just got Tyson Chandler
Pryzbilla starting for Chicago? They got Brad Miller.
Pryzbilla starting for Boston? Listen I don't think Perkins as great as he thinks he is but he is definitely better than Pryzbilla.
Outlaw starting for Washington? We have Caron for SF, and Antawn Jamison at PF. And if you think Outlaw is better than any of those two, you should remember its puff puff pass.
Outlaw-Chicago? They have Deng
Outlaw-Toronto? They have Turkoglu and Bosh at PF
Outlaw- San Antonio ( if Sa is San Antonio)- They got Richard Jefferson

Im not going to go over all of them because they're too many. Also Foye is better than Webster and Rudy too in my opinion.

Hellcrooner
07-31-2009, 10:05 PM

who can play PF

Who is WORN out and not better than Pryz right now

Pryzbilla starting for Boston? Listen I don't think Perkins as great as he thinks he is but he is definitely better than Pryzbilla.

IN your dreams
Outlaw starting for Washington? We have Caron for SF, and Antawn Jamison at PF. And if you think Outlaw is better than any of those two, you should remember its puff puff pass.

Both caron and OUtlow can play SG

OUtlow can play sg AND Pf

Outow at SG

Outlow at SG since manu works better from the bench OR play PF to Dncan center.

who is the one that does not know anything about nba?

itsripcity32
07-31-2009, 10:16 PM

Close thread

b.s^^^
the starting players that those teams have are better than portland's bench.

will bynum owns bayless

ben gordon owns rudy
maxiel>pendegraph

andre miller isnt gonna be a starter? whyd u put him in there? putting a starter there?
outlaw isnt a starter?

vash9
07-31-2009, 10:20 PM
Yeah, if this was a poll, it would have been more reasonable, but to only talk about the Raps, that's a hardcore homer move.

Anyways, i would tie it in with the Magics and Blazers. The Raps have a great 2nd unit, but i wouldn't say best in the league.

nbaguy123
07-31-2009, 10:24 PM
this thread was poorly executed. now everyone is bashin on the raps. they have a good bench, but certainly not the best

Hellcrooner
07-31-2009, 10:29 PM
b.s^^^
the starting players that those teams have are better than portland's bench.

will bynum owns bayless

ben gordon owns rudy
maxiel>pendegraph

andre miller isnt gonna be a starter? whyd u put him in there? putting a starter there?
outlaw isnt a starter?

i do not recall putting DET as a team where rudy would start did you miss that he changed his team? anyway im not so sure heis not beter than gorodon that would be a whole conversation itself.

Will bynum is NOTHING.

Outlow is not a starter Batum was the starter last season an now that WEBSTER is back from injury he will be the starter.

And andre miller SHOULD be the starter but Mcmillan has a dangerous MAN CRUSH on BLAKE and he is stubborn as hell so expect miller starting from the bench unless a big trade happens.

Hellcrooner
07-31-2009, 10:30 PM
^by the way gordons should not start in detroit havinf rip there

itsripcity32
07-31-2009, 10:37 PM
^by the way gordons should not start in detroit havinf rip there

i was comparing bench with bench.DUH

since u said those bench players would start for det

miller isnt a bench player. but if he was, his old a2s wouldnt be on the team or else he would take away the 23 year old stuckey's playing time.

stuckey>bayless. no contest

ReedBoshMarleau
07-31-2009, 10:38 PM
Raptors bench is easily better then the Trail Blazers bench there is no question about it

C-Dub
07-31-2009, 11:00 PM
Denver Nuggets hands down. Lawson, Smith or Afflalo, Kleiza, Balkman, Birdman

st3voness
07-31-2009, 11:03 PM
Dallas had the second best bench last season and improved.

G Barea / Beaubois
G Terry
F Ross
F Thomas
C Gooden

Byronicle
07-31-2009, 11:28 PM
I Am a Raptors fan but...lets be honest, Raptors do have a better bench than last year only because they traded it for Jermaine, but can we compare our bench with the likes of the Lakers? Blazers? Cleveland and Orlando? Those teams are stacked, it is mind boggling how much talent is on their teams!! But the important thing is i believe we have a better bench than any other raptor teams, reason being...

Antoine Wright is a great defender, known for defending against Carmelo who could arguably had his best year so far when playing with Chauncey Billups, and someone good to come off the bench when we need to maintain the lead and when the offense is rolling

Got rid of a one dimensional player in the name of Kapono and got a Marco Benelli who can shoot the 3, and handle the ball which excludes the need of getting Delfino, personally i hate Delfino because he chucks the ball and sometimes screws up when he drives, at least with Benelli we got someone who knows how to play with Bargs

We got rid of Kris Humpries who was suppose to be a role player and bring defense and rebounds but for some reason thought he was an all-star and tried to make a name for himself, we got Reggie Evans who knows his role and is proven to stick to it.

Jarret Jack was Pacer's starting PG taking over TJ ford, so we basically got a backup to Calderon who is better than TJ, which will probably create competition but that is when Caldern plays his best.

We also got Pacer's staring centre Rasho for cheap to be a backup, a veteran who can play defense

And most important of all we drafted a slashing winger although may not be the next Vince Carter, i believe will definitely bring some more highlights back to T.O.

We got rid of our tumours to get guys who know their roles and can play some pretty good basketball, yes we do have a better team bench i believe but not as good as Blazers, that team is just crazy they need to share the talent or something, whatever life ain't fair

Byronicle
07-31-2009, 11:30 PM
Dallas had the second best bench last season and improved.

G Barea / Beaubois
G Terry
F Ross
F Thomas
C Gooden

If they had the 2nd best bench last year how come they didnt go far into the playoffs? And gooden isnt that great, if he would really had made a difference than explain to me how the Spurs lost in the first round for the first time with Popovich as head coach?

dolfan720
07-31-2009, 11:33 PM
the cavs do IMO

Gibson
Parker
Moon
Wally serbiak(?)
Illgausiks

bogdanrom
08-01-2009, 03:52 PM

who can play PF
Tyson Chandler won't play PF and if Joel Pryzbilla came to the Bobcats Larry Brown will not start both of them.

Who is WORN out and not better than Pryz right now

Yes Brad Miller is not what he used to be but he still a little better than Pryzbilla. Pryz has no offense to speak of, whereas Miller can spread the court.

IN your dreams

In my dreams? Are you kidding me? What are you trying to say that Joel is a lot better than Perkins? Again I hate his cockiness and arrogance but he like Pryz plays great defense, and he actually scores.

Both caron and OUtlow can play SG

Like I said you have no clue about what basketball is. Outlaw as SG? He is SF/PF. He's 6'9. He's never played SG. And even is he did I would take Foye over him too.

OUtlow can play sg AND Pf

Again Outlaw cannot play SG. And they have Bosh at PF.

Outow at SG

Same as above

Outlow at SG since manu works better from the bench OR play PF to Dncan center.

Same as above. And they got Antonio McDyess. Plus Outlaw would get killed by some other PF like Dirk, Amare, Bosh.

who is the one that does not know anything about nba?

YOU.

viictoor
08-01-2009, 04:11 PM
the mavs one is the best

skizzlebizzle35
08-01-2009, 04:29 PM
bulls, magic, cavs, celts

1. Bulls
Hinrich-Hunter
Pargo
Johnson
Gibson
Miller-Gray

2.Magic
johnson
Pietris
Barnes
Anderson
Gortat

3. Cavs
Gibson
Parker
Moon
Hickson-Williams-Jackson
Illgauskus

4. Celts
House
Danials
Scalibrine-Allen
Powe or Davis
Wallace

Bob_at_york
08-01-2009, 04:31 PM
17 people voted "Yes"? You guys need to get your heads examined.

itsripcity32
08-01-2009, 04:50 PM
bulls, magic, cavs, celts

1. Bulls
Hinrich-Hunter
Pargo
Johnson
Gibson
Miller-Gray

2.Magic
johnson
Pietris
Barnes
Anderson
Gortat

3. Cavs
Gibson
Parker
Moon
Hickson-Williams-Jackson
Illgauskus

4. Celts
House
Danials
Scalibrine-Allen
Powe or Davis
Wallace

cavs have z and bulls have kirk. everyone else sucks for the cavs and bulls

JJ81
08-01-2009, 06:09 PM
They have a good bench backcourt by the looks of it.

Zefflin
08-01-2009, 08:08 PM
If Shannon Brown starts for LA our bench will be pretty nice...

Fish/Farmar
Sasha/Morrison
Luke
Odom/Powell
DJ

_KB24_
08-01-2009, 08:15 PM
The Raps have a nice, deep bench, but you need to remember that the bench does not necessarily play by themselves. About 99% of the time, there is always atleast one starter on.

Top 5 Benches

Blazers
Lakers
Raps
Spurs
Celts