PDA

View Full Version : Hornets sign Ike Diogu

DeeJay
07-29-2009, 01:24 PM
The New Orleans Hornets have signed forward Ike Diogu.
Diogu has shown potential but has never developed into a player earning more than spot minutes off the bench. Diogu should find time behind David West and Emeka Okafor, but isn't likely to be worth owning.
Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NBA&id=1139

B.JenningsMVP
07-29-2009, 01:24 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4363982

The New Orleans Hornets, after swapping Tyson Chandler for Emeka Okafor, are poised to add further to their frontcourt by signing free-agent forward Ike Diogu.

NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com that the Hornets and Diogu are close to finalizing a deal, with a formal announcement expected later Wednesday or Thursday.

Terms of the contract were not immediately available, but Diogu is regarded as a low-cost option who has yet to reach his full potential after playing sparingly in the past two seasons.

Diogu, 25, appeared in only 29 games last season for the Portland Trail Blazers and Sacramento Kings but did enjoy a few productive spells with the Kings are arriving in February via trade, averaging 9.2 points and 3.9 rebounds in just 14.2 minutes in 10

Nice pick up to back up D.West.

Jays Claw
07-29-2009, 01:26 PM
A moderator needs to merge both threads.

S-Dot
07-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Good signing for NO

Chronz
07-29-2009, 01:39 PM
When is this kid ever going to break out

B.JenningsMVP
07-29-2009, 01:40 PM

Upcoming season. :D

lakers4sho
07-29-2009, 01:42 PM
The guy the Lakers were supposed to draft (instead of Andrew Bynum).

RocketsRule
07-29-2009, 01:43 PM
He had a great last 3 games for the Kings. He averaged about 20 points and 9 rebounds in those final 3 games. So it will be interesting to see how he can take that into the next season.

blackjack_119
07-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Is New Orleans adamant about being undersized at nearly every position? A 5'10" PG (granted the best in the game); two 6'8" PF's and a 6'10" Center. Next move... they will sign Nate Robinson as their starting SG.

DerekRE_3
07-29-2009, 02:43 PM

Once he got playing time in Sacramento he did well, and apparently he was always the best big in practice. Problem is we had a ****** for a coach in Kenny Natt. When Diogu started the last two games of the season, he averaged 30 and 12. It's too bad he didn't get playing time before then because we could have seen if those two games were for real or not.

Great signing for NO, he's a low risk high reward signing.

Chronz
07-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Once he got playing time in Sacramento he did well, and apparently he was always the best big in practice. Problem is we had a ****** for a coach in Kenny Natt. When Diogu started the last two games of the season, he averaged 30 and 12. It's too bad he didn't get playing time before then because we could have seen if those two games were for real or not.

Great signing for NO, he's a low risk high reward signing.
Yea but hes always been THAT guy (The guy who shows alot of promise offensively in limited minutes) but burried in a deep frontcourt rotation.

Well when he got to Sacramento I thought, FINALLY a chance to see what this kid can do, but he didnt even get minutes on a team devoid of frontcourt players. Maybe Sacto didnt know what they had, or maybe the kids defense is worse than we know, or maybe hes just a guy who doesnt play well when the attention is on him.

But yea its a great signing, I love low risk high potential moves.

Kakaroach
07-29-2009, 02:51 PM
And NO gets rolling in the off-season. This is a good pick-up and he will get minutes in that big man rotation. He has a lot of potential, we're all just waiting for that break-out season.

DerekRE_3
07-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Yea but hes always been THAT guy (The guy who shows alot of promise offensively in limited minutes) but burried in a deep frontcourt rotation.

Well when he got to Sacramento I thought, FINALLY a chance to see what this kid can do, but he didnt even get minutes on a team devoid of frontcourt players. Maybe Sacto didnt know what they had, or maybe the kids defense is worse than we know, or maybe hes just a guy who doesnt play well when the attention is on him.

But yea its a great signing, I love low risk high potential moves.

Well, the Kings were pretty committed to giving Jason Thompson and Spencer Hawes a lot of time together since it is looking like they are our future bigs. To their credit, they have already shown some good chemistry together (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KctN_UtWsNU) on the court. But even still, behind them we had freaking Kenny Thomas, Calvin Booth, and Cedric Simmons. Diogu should have gotten a lot more time and I never understood why.

what54!?
07-29-2009, 02:54 PM
He's an upgrade over armstrong and ely IMO :shrug:

asandhu23
07-29-2009, 03:05 PM
good 4 him :yawn:

superkegger
07-29-2009, 03:09 PM

when he gets time. If he can consistently get the time, he'll produce. he's just never gotten the time, for whatever reason. Though, going to play for Byron Scott, who has a notoriously short bench, may not be the best thing int he world.....

cowboyz180
07-29-2009, 03:25 PM
good signing. He could turn into a good player

Vinny642
07-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Finally the Hornets are making moves!!

I heard we even might trade Hilton Armstrong to the Grizzlies.

Kyle N.
07-29-2009, 04:44 PM
He's alright. He had some good games for the Kings down the stretch. I thought it was kind of the other teams not trying as hard at that point and him really wanting to get a new contract, but whatever. The guy can knows how to work, I'll give him that for sure.

Rome
07-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Im in favor of NO latest moves.

tland22
07-29-2009, 05:52 PM
he average 30 and 12 his last two games for the kings. And those were the only two games that he got significant minutes....avg 40 mins between those two contests. played the Nuggets and T wolves.... BOTH teams played their starters the entire game.....the Nugs game is the one where JR SMith hit 11 3pointers...Nugs were playing to lock up the 2 seed as well.... I think he gets the time he will produce, he can do it.

This could be a STEAL for the Hornets...he is only 25, and has yet to play significant mins, but when he has he has shown to be a solid asset.

Good move