PDA

View Full Version : Hornets and Bobcats trade completed

cowboyz180
07-28-2009, 12:26 PM
The trade has now been completed. Emeka Okafor goes to the Hornets and Tyson Chandler goes to the bobcats. Thoughts?
Source: http://www.nba.com/2009/news/07/27/hornets.bobcats.ap/index.html

CELTICS4LYFE
07-28-2009, 12:28 PM
I think okafor will shine with paul

cowboyz180
07-28-2009, 12:30 PM
^ yea, i think this was a pretty good trade for the hornets. The only thing is Okafor has a long and big contract

what54!?
07-28-2009, 12:31 PM
The hornets just upgraded too. Its gonna be a good season

North Yorker
07-28-2009, 12:31 PM
I am of the minority that I dont see whats so great about Okafor.

Yes he has been durable, but his offensive game is so Robotic imo.

VIP1349
07-28-2009, 12:32 PM
I honestly think it's a mistake by the Hornets. Dig themselves a hole with Okafor's contract plus with a lack of agility they are basically slotting two Power Forward's out there with West/Okafor. Okafor doesn't really fit well in a pick and roll with Paul. But I guess one positive is that Okafor is healthy so even if it doesn't make sense basketball wise, they get a player that should play most the games.

JordansBulls
07-28-2009, 12:32 PM
Good deal for the Hornets.

what54!?
07-28-2009, 12:38 PM
I am of the minority that I dont see whats so great about Okafor.

Yes he has been durable, but his offensive game is so Robotic imo.If chris paul can make chandler look decent, he'll make ofakor look great

TheGreenMonster
07-28-2009, 12:39 PM
Big time upgrade. Chandler will show his true colors on a team without CP3

TheHoopsProphet
07-28-2009, 12:40 PM
I personally think this deal's a wash.

North Yorker
07-28-2009, 12:42 PM
If chris paul can make chandler look decent, he'll make ofakor look great

Fair enough, but as someone already said, is the P&R a part of Okafor's game?

He'll score more points, but I just wonder if this was worth the risk for NO with his looong contract.

I thought they were trying to shed salary. I guess this is an attempt to convince Paul to re-sign there in the future..

ManRam
07-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Great trade for NO. Emeka's superior offensive skills will really help. I expect a big year from him now, especially with CP distributing the ball to him. I don't think this deal is a wash...I think Chandler will continue to regress, and Emeka will have a career year.

DamnGoat
07-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Steal for the Hornets. Okafor is so underrated and was always underutilized in Charlotte.

Kakaroach
07-28-2009, 12:46 PM
If chris paul can make chandler look decent, he'll make ofakor look great x2 Great deal for the Hornets and I guess Larry Brown was looking for a taller center so he gets what he wants too lol.

29$JerZ
07-28-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm so pissed Charlotte did this :pity:

black1605
07-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Mek's been a great player for us, and I hope he does well in N.O. It is a questionable trade, but a lot of us didn't like trading for Bell and Diaw either, and that benefited us greatly. I trust Larry Brown knows what he's doing.

zambo4president
07-28-2009, 01:05 PM
Looks good for New Orleans.

tland22
07-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Steal for the Hornets. Okafor is so underrated and was always underutilized in Charlotte.

I agree with this totally, he was certainly under utilized in Charlotte and I think Okafor will have a career year in New Orleans this season. Not a "steal" though. I truly believe this deal will make BOTH TEAMS better. It will just help the Hornets more because they received a more talented player. But the Bobcats will improve this season with a healthy Tyson Chandler....what dont you people get is that Tyson isnt the un-healthy guy everyone makes him out to be. He has had only ONE season where he DID NOT play more than 72 games...Tyson can put up 12 and 12 the entire year...that isnt anything to sneeze at. I like it for both teams honestly.

DocJayzSpikx
07-28-2009, 01:09 PM
Should be a good deal, probably good for the style of play Larry Brown, and Paul should help thrive Okafor.... should be interesting to see how this years season turns-out

Carey
07-28-2009, 01:10 PM
This trade puzzles me, New Orleans should have got something else for taking on a contrac that runs thru the 2013-2014 season, i like it for them because Okafor is durable, but when healthy Chandler and him are very comparable players as far as talent even tho there skill sets are a bit different.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Paul and Chandler pretty much do a 2 man run and gun.

Can Okafor do that.

I don't think Paul will slow down just for him.

masalex1205
07-28-2009, 01:20 PM
I agree with this totally, he was certainly under utilized in Charlotte and I think Okafor will have a career year in New Orleans this season. Not a "steal" though. I truly believe this deal will make BOTH TEAMS better. It will just help the Hornets more because they received a more talented player. But the Bobcats will improve this season with a healthy Tyson Chandler....what dont you people get is that Tyson isnt the un-healthy guy everyone makes him out to be. He has had only ONE season where he DID NOT play more than 72 games...Tyson can put up 12 and 12 the entire year...that isnt anything to sneeze at. I like it for both teams honestly.

I don't know what everybody is talking about Okafor being "underutilized." What does that even mean? He's averaged 34 mins a game over his career and he's our starting center.

I think Larry Brown knows what he's doing but he can make mistakes. Just look at the Diop trade. I think this trade is bad for both teams. Okafor sucks off the pick and roll and has a very limited offensive game although granted Chandler has none.

Not sure what NO is doing here. NO gives away Chandler for Wilcox and Joe Smith and now they are committing to a guy who is going to make $14 mill a year at the end of his contract w/ three extra years. Talk about doing a 180.

When healthy, Chandler was the perfect complement to Paul w/ his athleticism and ability to finish lobs strong. Okafor doesn't do that. IMO he doesn't have the drive to improve (explains why he hasn't since he was a rookie), he's soft, and his defense is overrated. Paul improves everyone he plays with so I expect a slight improvement from Okafor. BUT I don't think Okafor and Paul compliment each other very well.

Im just not sure about this one, don't think anybody is. We'll just have to wait and see.

king4day
07-28-2009, 01:22 PM
I don't know how he was underutilized. What more can the man possibly do?

I'm not saying I agree with the deal and I do think the Hornets are the winners here, but what you saw in Charlotte is pretty much what you'll get with the Hornets. He'll run more I'm sure and that may spike his production, but I feel like he is being given far more credit than deserved.

If Chandler wasn't injury prone, then there wouldn't be as many nay sayers.

This will allow Diaw to be the go to scoring big. Chandler is a very smart interior defender and will clean up just as much as Mek if not more. LB wasn't a fan of Okafor's lack of interest on the court and that may have had something to do it with too.

Now the Bobcats have someone who can light a fire under some teammates.

masalex1205
07-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Good analysis:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-42-127/Comparing-Tyson-Chandler-and-Emeka-Okafor.html

ManRam
07-28-2009, 01:25 PM
I just don't get this because Charlotte is already such a great defensive team...and such a horrendous offensive team. Top 5 in the East in defense, worst in offense. So why trade a guy who is more offensively talented, for a guy who is offensively challenged, especially since Emeka isn't a slouch on defense. It wont pay off this year. And even if it was a cap move, they could have gotten just as much relief, and gotten a young piece back in return.

Not quite sure why Charlotte did this...

IBleedPurple
Not sure how this helps either team, but I guess it's more of a wait and see trade

Lo Porto
Okafor is best suited to play C next to a good offensive PF. NO fits that perfectly. NO also saves $2 million with this trade ($1 in salary and $1 in luxury tax). That's not a ton of savings, but that is a little silver lining.

As for Charlotte, I have no idea what they are thinking. If they were looking to just clear contracts, they should have traded a package of Okafor for Boozer's expiring contract. Boozer would have at least sold some tickets, Chandler might do nothing.

masalex1205
07-28-2009, 01:26 PM
I don't know how he was underutilized. What more can the man possibly do?

I'm not saying I agree with the deal and I do think the Hornets are the winners here, but what you saw in Charlotte is pretty much what you'll get with the Hornets. He'll run more I'm sure and that may spike his production, but I feel like he is being given far more credit than deserved.

If Chandler wasn't injury prone, then there wouldn't be as many nay sayers.

This will allow Diaw to be the go to scoring big. Chandler is a very smart interior defender and will clean up just as much as Mek if not more. LB wasn't a fan of Okafor's lack of interest on the court and that may have had something to do it with too.

Now the Bobcats have someone who can light a fire under some teammates.

Is Chandler a really passionate/hard working guy?

king4day
07-28-2009, 01:27 PM
This trade puzzles me, New Orleans should have got something else for taking on a contrac that runs thru the 2013-2014 season, i like it for them because Okafor is durable, but when healthy Chandler and him are very comparable players as far as talent even tho there skill sets are a bit different.

I agree. Diop would have been the perfect addition to the trade. But Charlotte woulda been hard pressed to give up on such a talent :D

SUPER5
07-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Good news for the hornets. Bad news for LAL. I always liked him. He just needed a place to shine.

nba08
07-28-2009, 01:41 PM
good trade. hornets get a big guy who durable and thats really it. tyson was always out the line-up and they had to play god know who to fill in wit emeka you get a guy who just solid, not great but is a double double machine that can help west on the boards and set solid picks for paul

masalex1205
07-28-2009, 01:44 PM
I just don't get this because Charlotte is already such a great defensive team...and such a horrendous offensive team. Top 5 in the East in defense, worst in offense. So why trade a guy who is more offensively talented, for a guy who is offensively challenged, especially since Emeka isn't a slouch on defense. It wont pay off this year. And even if it was a cap move, they could have gotten just as much relief, and gotten a young piece back in return.

Not quite sure why Charlotte did this...

YOu're overrating Emeka's offensive capabilities. His points came off of garbage buckets and he couldn't make a free throw to save his life. His offense will not be missed.

ManRam
07-28-2009, 01:48 PM
YOu're overrating Emeka's offensive capabilities. His points came off of garbage buckets and he couldn't make a free throw to save his life. His offense will not be missed.

Compared to Chandler, he is Hakeem. Chandler's offensive game is horrendous. Luckily he knows it and doesn't really ever try to even score. And Chandler is just as bad of a FT shooter.

You are down grading offensively, whether you want to admit it or not. You're probably down grading defensively too.

ManRam
07-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Is Chandler a really passionate/hard working guy?

Haha...no. He is far from it. Neither really are spark plugs.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-28-2009, 01:50 PM
I wanted Chandler on the Suns.

Chandler, Amare and Nash would absolutely dominate in the run and gun system.

ttam68
07-28-2009, 02:09 PM
TrueHoop has a really good article on this:

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-42-127/Comparing-Tyson-Chandler-and-Emeka-Okafor.html

ESPN's John Hollinger (Insider) can't believe anyone would trade Emeka Okafor for Tyson Chandler, and he makes a convincing case.

Both players consistently have been honorable mentions in my all-defense picks, but Okafor is the superior scorer. That might not be saying much -- both players are somewhat limited offensively -- but Okafor can score on post-ups occasionally and make short bank shots, while Chandler's range ends at the charge circle. Over the past three seasons, Okafor has averaged nearly five more points per 40 minutes -- that's big.

The health disparity between the two also has been mentioned, but look closer, and I'm not sure there's any difference. Okafor has averaged 66 games per season over the course of his career, Chandler 67. Chandler has a bad toe that already nuked one trade, but Okafor has a problematic back. Okafor has played 82 games each of the past two seasons, but over their careers, their injury histories show little separation. Age isn't an issue either -- they were born four days apart.

Hollinger theorizes that the Bobcats may have made the trade to reduce the team's total future financial obligation to ease a sale, or to appease Larry Brown's well-established jones for personnel turnover. In his view, it's certainly not about basketball.

The part of the analysis that's tough, however, is in quantifying the defense. Let's say we all agree that Chandler is a better defender than Okafor. How much better, and how do you judge that? Could it make up the difference, as it were, in their offensive skills? Might this still be an equal trade?

There are various different systems that attempt to measure such things, none of which is considered anything close to gospel. (Defense may win championships, but offense wins statistical assessments of individual players.)

Queen City Hoops' Brett Hainline can shed some light. He has handy charts. His painstaking process basically looks at what you'd expect opponents to do against Chandler, and then assesses what they actually did instead. The difference between those two, over time, is an approximation of a player's defensive value. This measure makes Chandler look good.

Hainline writes:

If you do not notice anything else, catch the net PER Chandler allowed: a 3.74 under expectations for his opponent. The best mark on the Bobcats this past season was Raymond Felton's 2.18, with Boris and Gerald both just over a 1. Emeka? 0.54.

Hornets247's Ryan Schwan summarizes the findings by saying that "Chandler is an A+ defender and a C offensive player (offender?)" while "Okafor is a B- defender and a B offensive player."

By this analysis, the trade is a little more even.

Basketballvalue's adjusted plus/minus, meanwhile, ranks Chandler as the second-most productive Hornet during last year's injury-plagued campaign. (Surprisingly, much of that is because the Hornets were somehow much better offensively when he was on the floor.) The same measures are slightly less friendly to Emeka Okafor.

A confession: Isn't there a little something else hanging out there, too? When I consider this trade, I can try to be even-handed and analytical, but what I have to fight is the reality that I have seen Chandler play a key role for an elite team -- the Hornets in the playoffs two years ago -- but I have never seen anything like that from Okafor in the NBA.

It's not fair, but that reality gives Okafor a little discount he might not deserve. Perhaps Chris Paul can help Okafor prove me wrong, but this trade feels pretty even to me.

Unruly Fan
07-28-2009, 02:21 PM
People were saying West was questionable as the second option in New Orleans. Okafor provides a definate answer in filling that void.

D-Will4Prez
07-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Charlotte got the short end of the deal >.>

clutchski
07-28-2009, 02:59 PM
nice deal..haha didn't charlotte once want Okafor to be their franchise player

DamnGoat
07-28-2009, 03:15 PM
I don't know what everybody is talking about Okafor being "underutilized." What does that even mean? He's averaged 34 mins a game over his career and he's our starting center.
His shot attempts have gone down every year while his FG% has gone up. He's not an elite post scorer or anything, but he's certainly capable of scoring there. If he's given 13-14 attempts then 15=17 PPG is a reasonable expectation...and that's damn good for a starting C considering he'd also give you 10-11 REB, 2 BLK and terrific interior D.

Vinny642
07-28-2009, 03:20 PM
Loving it!!! :D
Im glad we got this. I'll take Okafor's contractm you people are acting like he isn't good at all. He is better then Chandler.

Trouble87
07-28-2009, 03:21 PM
oh MJ will you ever learn :pity:

Chandler for Okafor = Iceberg

Bobcats = Titantic

this is the trade that sinks Jordans ship

THE MTL
07-28-2009, 03:26 PM
Michael Jordan continues with his BAD trades. Emeka Okafor was ALWAYS better than Tyson Chandler.

tland22
07-28-2009, 03:33 PM
His shot attempts have gone down every year while his FG% has gone up. He's not an elite post scorer or anything, but he's certainly capable of scoring there. If he's given 13-14 attempts then 15=17 PPG is a reasonable expectation...and that's damn good for a starting C considering he'd also give you 10-11 REB, 2 BLK and terrific interior D.

that is a GREAT POINT! Thank you for silencing him.

DieHardColtsfan
07-28-2009, 03:40 PM
WOW not cool. Okafor is one of my fav players...really liked him on the Bobcats..

tland22
07-28-2009, 04:02 PM
^^^^^^^^^then you will REALLY REALLY love him on the Hornets playing with Chris Paul and David West!

Ragun
07-28-2009, 04:23 PM
wtf, the hornets got a first too.

Chronz
07-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Fair enough, but as someone already said, is the P&R a part of Okafor's game?

He'll score more points, but I just wonder if this was worth the risk for NO with his looong contract.

I thought they were trying to shed salary. I guess this is an attempt to convince Paul to re-sign there in the future..

PnR accounts for 12% of his offense, Okafors game consists entirely of post ups and off the ball cuts, with a few jumpers here and there. It will add a different dynamic to the team, but Im not sure it will mesh the way CP3 and Tyson did, but it could still make them better if. Or who knows maybe CP3 is better at finding creases and dumping it off to a physical player than throwing lobs to a hyper athlete.

TyHill
07-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Hornets didnt get a first it was just a player swap..whoever does the wire for RGM didnt read the SI.com article carefully. It just states that Brown was willing to give the Bobcats FIRST Draft Pick (Okafor was the Bobcats First ever Draft pick) Thats all misinterpretation.

JordansBulls
07-28-2009, 04:34 PM
wtf, the hornets got a first too.

Yeah I didn't even know that.

DerekRE_3
07-28-2009, 05:10 PM
]Fair enough, but as someone already said, is the P&R a part of Okafor's game?[/B]

No it's not, he really isn't great at it. He's not quick, doesn't have great hands catching the ball, and if he gets fouled, he's not a great free throw shooter.

black1605
07-28-2009, 05:15 PM
they get a first? where did you read that?

Vinny642
07-28-2009, 05:19 PM
Yea i didnt see no first, I thought only Chandler for Okafor

zachattach
07-28-2009, 05:33 PM
The one thing I haven't heard yet is the guy that is behind this, Larry Brown. Brown has had success with guys like Chandler (Ben Wallace, Mutumbo, even Samual D) the Bobcats just lost quite a bit of weight off the payroll and got a center that does everything a center should do well. Chandler is a true 7 footer with long arms, don't sleep on him just because he's not playing with CP3. I predict that he does great under a guy like Larry Brown.

ARMIN12NBA
07-28-2009, 06:28 PM
They are still out of the HC in the 1st round hunt, which puts them in, at most, the bottom half of the playoff teams. They are going to struggle to make the playoffs IMO.

Vinny642
07-28-2009, 06:31 PM
You should be double posted for that.

Nighthawk
07-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Okafor/Armstrong
West//J.Wright
Peja/Posey
Butler/Peterson/
CP3/A.Daniels/D.Collison

I like that lineup. Should be better than last year

secterm
07-28-2009, 07:16 PM
In terms of assets, NO wins the trade. Chandler was an apparently dwindling asset that up to this point was being offered for expiring deals (joe smith & wilcox or wallace). Okafor has had little trade speculation, comparatively, but was considered a young, solid, durable PF/C that has a reasonable long term contract (the contact is maybe 5%-10% higher than it should be). While both teams needed to do something, I'm not sure this is the right move for either. NO gains durability and consistency, while the Bobcats gain length and athleticism. While I think NO won the deal (as I believe Okafor to be the more intriguing asset as a trade commodity) I do, however, believe Charlotte may actually gain more from the trade in the short term. I believe Okafor and West have much too similar types of games to be effective on the floor at the same time.

My only issue (if I was a Charlotte fan) is why didn't the Bobcats try and involve another team (to take Okafor) as they would surely have been able to acquire more for Okafor in a separate deal, and then trade part of that Okafor acquisition for Chandler (eg. trade Okafor to another team for THREE moderate assets, trade TWO of those to NO for Chandler, and end up with Chandler and ONE of the other assets).

While I don't think Charlotte is as screwed as a lot of people are saying, I do feel like they could have done a heck of a lot better considering Chandler depleted trade value.

Kakaroach
07-28-2009, 07:53 PM
Wow I can't believe the Bobcats threw in a first as well...Did Larry Brown get ******** all of a sudden or something?

HuRRiCaNeS324
07-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Why did the bobcats do this trade? Okafor is way better than tyson chandler. Emeka is gonna be great with CP3 in NO.

black1605
07-28-2009, 10:08 PM
the Bobcats did not throw in a first

CowboysKB24
07-28-2009, 10:11 PM
The trade has now been completed. Emeka Okafor goes to the Hornets and Tyson Chandler goes to the bobcats. Thoughts?
Source: http://www.nba.com/2009/news/07/27/hornets.bobcats.ap/index.html

Great trade for the Hornets. Emeka Okafor is an underrated player. I think it was a good move for his career. He is going to put up at least 15-10-2BLKs a game (I'm assuming that because that is what he has averaged his entire career). Maybe CP3 can add more to his stats or even just a whole new offensive system rather than the Bobcats.

Hellcrooner
07-28-2009, 10:39 PM
god mj is really the goat of bad gms.....

DerekRE_3
07-28-2009, 10:41 PM
god mj is really the goat of bad gms.....

If he was a GM....Rod Higgins is the GM of the Bobcats.

loki34
07-28-2009, 10:46 PM
can chandler pass a physical?

J_M_B
07-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Good deal for New Orleans. Chris Paul is going to make Okafor play at a higher level. I'm a little worried with the lenghty contract though might come back and haunt them, but overall I believe it was an upgrade over Chanlder. I guess Charlotte was serious about dumping salary.