PDA

View Full Version : Tim Thomas Heading to Dallas

st3voness
07-28-2009, 01:32 AM
Free-agent forward Tim Thomas is scheduled to be in Dallas on Tuesday for a face-to-face meeting with Mavericks officials that will likely lead to a contract offer for the 12-year veteran.

No deal has been finalized, but the Mavericks have coveted Thomas as an off-the-bench shooter all summer to add some perimeter punch to their second unit.

"We're hoping to complete a deal soon," Bob Myers, Thomas' agent, told ESPN.com.

The Mavericks initially thought they were acquiring Thomas earlier this month in the four-team trade that netted Shawn Marion. The Chicago Bulls, according to sources with knowledge of the talks, had agreed to be part of the trade involving Toronto and Memphis -- with Thomas bound for Dallas -- but changed their minds and pulled out. The Bulls were replaced in that trade by Orlando and later bought out Thomas' contract when they couldn't plug him into another deal.

Thomas was due to make $6.5 million next season in the final year of his contract before the buyout. He was traded twice last season, going from the Los Angeles Clippers to the New York Knicks in a trade for Zach Randolph in December and from New York to Chicago in February as part of the Larry Hughes deal.

Thomas has averaged 11.6 points and 4.1 rebounds for his career. He has hit 37 percent of the 3-pointers he has taken in his career and ranks 63rd all-time with 946 made from beyond the arc.

Thomas has made numerous stops in the NBA. Drafted in the first round by the Nets, he was traded to Philadelphia before playing a game for New Jersey. He went on to play for the Bucks, Knicks, Bulls, Suns and Clippers.

After striking a one-year deal for a guaranteed $4.5 million Sunday with free-agent forward Drew Gooden, Dallas has roughly $1.4 million left of its midlevel exception to spend on free agents as well as its $1.9 million bi-annual exception.

- ESPN.com

The Mavs keep deepening their bench by the day. We really did need a shooter though. I'm assuming we will be using our vet minimum for this guy.

B.JenningsMVP
07-28-2009, 01:33 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4360351

Free-agent forward Tim Thomas is scheduled to be in Dallas on Tuesday for a face-to-face meeting with Mavericks officials that will likely lead to a contract offer for the 12-year veteran.

No deal has been finalized, but the Mavericks have coveted Thomas as an off-the-bench shooter all summer to add some perimeter punch to their second unit.

"We're hoping to complete a deal soon," Bob Myers, Thomas' agent, told ESPN.com.

The Mavericks initially thought they were acquiring Thomas earlier this month in the four-team trade that netted Shawn Marion. The Chicago Bulls, according to sources with knowledge of the talks, had agreed to be part of the trade involving Toronto and Memphis -- with Thomas bound for Dallas -- but changed their minds and pulled out. The Bulls were replaced in that trade by Orlando and later bought out Thomas' contract when they couldn't plug him into another deal.

Thomas was due to make $6.5 million next season in the final year of his contract before the buyout. He was traded twice last season, going from the Los Angeles Clippers to the New York Knicks in a trade for Zach Randolph in December and from New York to Chicago in February as part of the Larry Hughes deal.

Thomas has averaged 11.6 points and 4.1 rebounds for his career. He has hit 37 percent of the 3-pointers he has taken in his career and ranks 63rd all-time with 946 made from beyond the arc.

Thomas has made numerous stops in the NBA. Drafted in the first round by the Nets, he was traded to Philadelphia before playing a game for New Jersey. He went on to play for the Bucks, Knicks, Bulls, Suns and Clippers.

After striking a one-year deal for a guaranteed $4.5 million Sunday with free-agent forward Drew Gooden, Dallas has roughly $1.4 million left of its midlevel exception to spend on free agents as well as its $1.9 million bi-annual exception.

Marc Stein is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

st3voness
07-28-2009, 01:33 AM
We posted the same thing at the exact same time.. haha.

B.JenningsMVP
07-28-2009, 01:35 AM

Lol haha

B.JenningsMVP
07-28-2009, 01:36 AM

Beat me by a min. :mad: lol

Vinny642
07-28-2009, 01:40 AM
LOL ewww

Sean McG
07-28-2009, 01:50 AM
This easily makes them favourites to win it all. Thomas could probably consistently drop 60 on the bigs in the West.

carter15
07-28-2009, 01:52 AM
this guy used to be good.

st3voness
07-28-2009, 01:55 AM
this easily makes them favourites to win it all. Thomas could probably consistently drop 60 on the bigs in the west.

50*.

GoatMilk
07-28-2009, 02:01 AM
waste of money

he cant play anymore

blazerman
07-28-2009, 02:15 AM
I suppose well hear Mavs fans claiming to be a 1st or 2nd seed now.

News flash T Thomas and D Gooden are scrubs

Marion is still ok but losing Bass will hurt more than they think.

I imagine psd is gonna get flooded with are the Mavs title contenders, how far will the Mavs make it in the playoffs, who's gotta better team now, where do you rank the Mavs etc.

Outside of Brokeback Mountain (Dallas) who cares!:moon:

Trouble87
07-28-2009, 02:26 AM
they are becoming deep at almost every position ... Mavs may not be favs to win it all but they are legit contenders

BlondeBomber41
07-28-2009, 02:26 AM
Mavs are better than the Blazers... of that I'm sure.

Ebbs
07-28-2009, 02:33 AM
I like that were working i think we should offer A.I a contract 3 mill this year he gets shot at a ring we get great scorer if he turns out to be a schmuc kscrew him he can sit.

NYKnickFanatic
07-28-2009, 02:37 AM
One word...contenders.

Seriously.

iggypop123
07-28-2009, 03:03 AM
too bad he has been done for 3 years

#1Mavericksfan
07-28-2009, 03:19 AM
I suppose well hear Mavs fans claiming to be a 1st or 2nd seed now.

News flash T Thomas and D Gooden are scrubs

Marion is still ok but losing Bass will hurt more than they think.

I imagine psd is gonna get flooded with are the Mavs title contenders, how far will the Mavs make it in the playoffs, who's gotta better team now, where do you rank the Mavs etc.

Outside of Brokeback Mountain (Dallas) who cares!:moon:

you must be a Blazers fan still mad that the Mavs owned your team last season, you must think the Blazers are gonna win it all but Newsflash!!! Andre Miller can't shoot so if a team plays zone defense it's over for him.

blazerman
07-28-2009, 03:42 AM
you must be a Blazers fan still mad that the Mavs owned your team last season, you must think the Blazers are gonna win it all but Newsflash!!! Andre Miller can't shoot so if a team plays zone defense it's over for him.

You guys (Mavs) kicked our (Blazers) butts last yr. I was just messing with you guys. The Mavs are a very good team.

theimortalone
07-28-2009, 03:43 AM
Okay? :shrug:

JJ_JKidd
07-28-2009, 06:49 AM
This easily makes them favourites to win it all. Thomas could probably consistently drop 60 on the bigs in the West.

Lakers beware, LOL

One word...contenders.

Seriously.

Hilariously!!!!

Cmon Mark why did we get this fat bum??? We let Chandler and Okafor slip |)ammit!

dee279
07-28-2009, 07:40 AM
I aint seen him play in a while but he can be a good bench guy for the mavs. Makes clutch shots. Good 3 point shooter.

Young2Kinsler
07-28-2009, 09:11 AM
He's not a savior, but he adds a much needed tool to this team.

ecorrea
07-28-2009, 09:43 AM
he still can do everything he could do 3 yrs ago. he can still shoot the three and run the floor. not like he is gonna be gettin heavy minutes, but definitely continues in the right direction of solidifying dallas' bench. good pick up, mavs are legit this year.

Storch
07-28-2009, 10:45 AM

Nice use of sarcasm and jokes.

Storch
07-28-2009, 10:48 AM
I aint seen him play in a while but he can be a good bench guy for the mavs. Makes clutch shots. Good 3 point shooter.

Finally terry gets some clutch help. We all know Dirk chokes at every chance he gets, specially in the free throw line.

cowboyz180
07-28-2009, 11:02 AM
good vet pickup

aWiLL 20
07-28-2009, 11:14 AM
Finally terry gets some clutch help. We all know Dirk chokes at every chance he gets, specially in the free throw line.

wow you must not watch the mavs play lol dirk is in the top 5 of clutch players in the league...i can't stand ignorant ppl like you

i've watched almost every game of dirks career and i am baffled by him choking at the FT line...he shoots 90 percent...and please show me games he missed clutch free throws...i must have fallen asleep....

maybe this can help you out since you don't watch.

http://www.82games.com/CSORT11.HTM

notice the PTS, REB, T/O, and FT% in particular...DIRK IS BY FAR one of the more clutch players in the league...if all u watch is espn and listen to other ignorant people about why the mavs haven't won a championship yet, then i understand why you would say that. but anyone who watches the mavs knows that dirk is the REASON we've been one of the winningest teams the past decade

Brooklyn Mets
07-28-2009, 11:21 AM
good bench piece..

ctitus45
07-28-2009, 11:26 AM
I just hate Dirk haters. People don't appreciate what the man does for the Mavs. People don't appreciate what he does for a 7 footer. He is a sure fire all of famer. He is unguardable. Ask all those Denver Nuggets from the 2nd round last year. The only guy i can remember giving Dirk problems was a healthy T-Mac a few years ago in the playoffs. Haslem frustrated him a bit in the Finals too. Regardless though, he isn't the greatest PF of all time but he is arguably the best international PLAYER of all time. Stop the Dirk hate and watch him play.

Tim Thomas doesn't excite me, but he makes us deeper and could give us a spark off the bench. I don't know much about his heart or his head but let's hope he can contribute in some way. The mavs are legit West contenders now. We are a very long team and we will be one of the best rebounding teams in the NBA. We have a good shot at winning it all this year because of what we have done to surround our best player. We have depth in our bench, and bodies to throw at teams. We have a real good shot at this thing as long as we stay healthy and the chemistry works out. It's going to be interesting. The Mavs haven't looked this different since Jamison and Walker came to town.

Watch Dirk put this team on his back this year, haters. Watch.

mavs&colts
07-28-2009, 11:34 AM
wow you must not watch the mavs play lol dirk is in the top 5 of clutch players in the league...i can't stand ignorant ppl like you

i've watched almost every game of dirks career and i am baffled by him choking at the FT line...he shoots 90 percent...and please show me games he missed clutch free throws...i must have fallen asleep....

maybe this can help you out since you don't watch.

http://www.82games.com/CSORT11.HTM

notice the PTS, REB, T/O, and FT% in particular...DIRK IS BY FAR one of the more clutch players in the league...if all u watch is espn and listen to other ignorant people about why the mavs haven't won a championship yet, then i understand why you would say that. but anyone who watches the mavs knows that dirk is the REASON we've been one of the winningest teams the past decade

Ouch LOL Storch should pretty much jst kill himself:surrender:Owned

Kakaroach
07-28-2009, 11:40 AM
Mavs are better than the Blazers... of that I'm sure. x2 I think they have done a lot this off-season and getting Tim Thomas can only help. I think they could be the #3 or #4 seed if chemistry isn't a problem. Cuban is doing a good job so far this off-season.

st3voness
07-28-2009, 12:44 PM
The off-season isn't over. Cuban has piled himself with guaranteed contracts that there is no way a move isn't made because the roster has to be trimmed to 15 (17 guaranteed contracts). Come September 9th (or whenever Buckner can be packaged), I think we make a play for Chris Kaman or an athletic SG.

We already have one of the deepest benches in the league.

Jason Terry - Reigning 6MOTY.
Roddy Beaubois - Considered the best PG in Vegas.
J.J. Barea - The Puerto Rican spark plug.
Drew Gooden - Will fill the hole from losing Bass nicely with a chance at starting center.
Tim Thomas - Not the player he once was, but adds additional 3-point shooting that this team desperately needs.
Quinton Ross - Defensive stopper. Reliable outside shot.

HouRealCoach
07-28-2009, 03:24 PM
They need Kaman!!!

They dont need Thomas AT ALL.... Terry can shoot, Marion can shoot also
BIG WASTE

Bosoxfan11
07-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Power shift in the west!

Mavrix
07-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Power shift in the west!

Yup from 6th seed to possible 2 or 3 seed with additions of Marion, Gooden, Thomas, Ross, and the PG they drafted

kombayn
07-28-2009, 10:53 PM
They need Kaman!!!

They dont need Thomas AT ALL.... Terry can shoot, Marion can shoot also
BIG WASTE

I would love to deal Kaman to Dallas if it was for Josh Howard. But that is the big glaring hole on this team and that is NO CENTER. Unless they're turning the team into Phoenix 2.0 then I'm cool with it, but the best they'll do this season is 2nd round again. They acquire Kaman, then I see Western Conference Finals and NBA Finals in their grasp but still not secured. The team is deep but the missing pieces are starters at 2-guard and center. I'm surprised the Mavericks haven't offered the $1.9 Million to Allen Iverson, I think he'd be a very nice fit on that team.