PDA

View Full Version : Chandler-Okafor Swap in the works

GoatMilk
07-27-2009, 05:05 PM
The Hornets and Bobcats are in advanced discussions on a trade that would send center Tyson Chandler to Charlotte in exchange for fellow big man Emeka Okafor, according to NBA front-office sources.

It was not immediately known if the teams are ready to complete the swap -- or if the deal would expand to include other players or teams -- but sources close to the process said talks featuring Chandler and Okafor as the main components have been ongoing since late last week.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4359609

really nice for New Orleans

abe_froman
07-27-2009, 05:08 PM
like this for n.o.

blazerman
07-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Why would the Bobcats want to do that Chandler is an Offensive idiot and not even as good on D. Makes absolutely nosense.

If the Hornets could do that I'd be amazed

AlexTmz2
07-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Yeah, only like this for NO. Nice fit if this trade goes down.

theuuord
07-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Paul, Okafor, and West would be a very nice trio.... Neither Okafor nor West is a true center though, so it could be a problem for them if they choose to contend.

Kakaroach
07-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Why would the Bobcats trade Okafor for Chandler? Okafor is much better offensively and he has been healthy the past few years, which Chandler was not. I would assume the Bobcats would definitely get something else to go along with Chandler.

GoatMilk
07-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Why would the Bobcats trade Okafor for Chandler? Okafor is much better offensively and he has been healthy the past few years, which Chandler was not. I would assume the Bobcats would definitely get something else to go along with Chandler.

yeah
maybe Julian Wright?

B.JenningsMVP
07-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Wow

Jays Claw
07-27-2009, 05:17 PM
The Bobcats won't benefit from this trade.

Kakaroach
07-27-2009, 05:21 PM
yeah
maybe Julian Wright? Yeah something like that cuz just Chandler would be wayyy dumb for the Bobcats lol. Maybe even Mo Pete or Posey if its a 3 or 4 team deal.

JOSKOMANG4
07-27-2009, 05:22 PM
Rockets, Heat, and Bobcats

- Rockets acquire C Jermaine O'Neal

- Bobcats acquire SG Tracy Mcgrady and Heat 2010 1st rd pick.

- Heat acquire C Emeka Okafur and SF/SG Gerald Wallace.

Rockets:

- Rockets swap giant expiring contracts. With the acquisition of O'Neal, they fill the void of the injured Yao Ming(out whole 2009 season). It also opens up a spot at SG which will be occupied by newly acquired swingman Trevor ariza.

Rockets: Yao Ming* Out for 2009 season.

C: Jermaine O Neal/Joey Dorsey/David Anderson*
PF: Luis Scola/Chuck Hayes/Carl Landry
SF: Shane Battier/Chase Budinger*/Brian Cook
SG: Trevor Ariza/ Brent Barry/Jermaine Taylor*
PG: Aaron Brooks/Kyle Lowry / Sergio Llull*

On Paper, a nice looking lineup. If O'Neal is healthy, the Rockets look like a playoff-pushing team.

Bobcats:

- With the trade, they relinquish two-big contracts; Okafur(the once- face of your franchise) and Gerald Wallace. They acquire T-mac to bring publicity to their franchise. With the acquistion of T-mac, especially if healthy, a player than can provide not only veteran leadership, but a big push to the playoffs. Along with the deal, they get a 1st round pick(nothing wrong with that).

C: DeSagana Diop/Nazr Mohammed
PF: Boris Diaw/Alexis Ajinca
SF: Tracy Mcgrady/Vladimir Radmanovic/D. Brown*
SG: Raja Bell/Gerald Henderson*
PG: Raymond Felton/D.J. Augustin

* They move to a three-guard set. Again, another playoff pushing team. This trade will bring a ton of publicity to the CHarlotte franchise.

Heat:

If they miss out on acquiring Boozer and Odom, they'll take the poor man's version of them in Okafur and Wallace.

C: Emaka Okufur/Joel Anthony#/Mark Blount^/Jamaal Magloire
PF: Udonis Haslem/Michael Beasley/ Robert Dozier*
SF Gerald Wallace/James Jones/Dorell Wright
SG: Dwyane Wade/Daequan Cook/Yakhouba Diawara
PG: Mario Chalmers/Chris Quinn / Patrick Beverly*

Raps18-19 Champ
07-27-2009, 05:27 PM
I thought NO wanted to save money?

Okafor has a longer contract and bigger salary.

aman_13
07-27-2009, 05:27 PM
This is not a good deal for the Bobcats.

Vinny642
07-27-2009, 05:28 PM
IM thinking Daniels and Chandler for Okafor, Daniels is an expiring.
Hope it goes down,

BenFrank
07-27-2009, 05:29 PM
The Rocket's don't want Jermain O'Neal.. I think we rather let T-mac expire and get a high draft pick.. plus money to spend on FA's in 2010.. we don't need another huge contract worth crap

king4day
I wonder if the Cats are doing this to get some financial relief sooner than Mek's contract ends.

STAT32
Makes zero sense for Charlotte. They lose a healthy and capable big for an injury prone rebounder. Unless the offer gets signifigantly better for Charlotte then this rumor is BS.

Vinny642

We also wanna win

IndiansFan337
I know that Larry Brown is all about defense & hustle, but isn't that what Okafor gives you (plus more of an offensive game than Chandler).

I don't understand this trade at all, unless they are simply trying to decrease the amount of long term salary that they are on the hook for.

NO should accept this immediately if it is really on the table.

king4day
07-27-2009, 05:34 PM
I wouldn't shoot down the Bobcats yet on this.
Larry Brown sends their best scorer in Richardson for Diaw and Bell in what seemed like a lopsided traded in favor of Phoenix last year. We all see how that turned out and who really got the better of that one.

Kakaroach
07-27-2009, 05:37 PM
I wouldn't shoot down the Bobcats yet on this.
Larry Brown sends their best scorer in Richardson for Diaw and Bell in what seemed like a lopsided traded in favor of Phoenix last year. We all see how that turned out and who really got the better of that one. What nobody thought that was a lopsided trade lol. And this is rumored as a Chandler-Okafor trade, which is lopsided cuz Okafor is so much better offensively and he rebounds and defends very well. Unless Larry Brown only wants a pure center, there has to be some other teams and players included.

Lo Porto
07-27-2009, 05:38 PM

HEAT get Okafor and Wallace for O'Neal and a 1st. C'mon, get real already.

JordansBulls
07-27-2009, 05:39 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4359609

really nice for New Orleans

This helps New Orleans more so.

king4day
07-27-2009, 05:41 PM
What nobody thought that was a lopsided trade lol. And this is rumored as a Chandler-Okafor trade, which is lopsided cuz Okafor is so much better offensively and he rebounds and defends very well. Unless Larry Brown only wants a pure center, there has to be some other teams and players included.

Do they really need a scoring PF and C on the same team? Chandler is an 'around the basket' player with a lot more fire than Mek.
I understand Mek is younger and not injury prone, but this isn't as lopsided as some ar making it out to be. If Chandler can stay healthy, this move doesn't hurt Charlotte.
I'm sure other players will be included too.

The Suns trade was lopsided because The Cats traded all of their scoring for an aging injury prone SG and inconsistent Diaw. Brown turned that trade into Charlotte getting the better of it.

Lo Porto
07-27-2009, 05:42 PM
If I had to guess, NO will be sending Chandler, some expiring and a pick to the Bobcats for Okafor. If NO could save $3 million in salaries, that would help immensely in terms of the luxury. I'd imagine it looks like this:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mou56e Okafor for Chandler, Devin Brown plus NO sends Charlotte a first rounder. This saves NO $3 million in salaries meaning $6 million including the luxury.

what54!?
07-27-2009, 05:50 PM
I like it for the hornets. Don't know what the bobcats are thinking

SeoulBeatz
07-27-2009, 05:53 PM

Rockets:

- Rockets swap giant expiring contracts. With the acquisition of O'Neal, they fill the void of the injured Yao Ming(out whole 2009 season). It also opens up a spot at SG which will be occupied by newly acquired swingman Trevor ariza.

On Paper, a nice looking lineup. If O'Neal is healthy, the Rockets look like a playoff-pushing team.

Bobcats:

- With the trade, they relinquish two-big contracts; Okafur(the once- face of your franchise) and Gerald Wallace. They acquire T-mac to bring publicity to their franchise. With the acquistion of T-mac, especially if healthy, a player than can provide not only veteran leadership, but a big push to the playoffs. Along with the deal, they get a 1st round pick(nothing wrong with that).

* They move to a three-guard set. Again, another playoff pushing team. This trade will bring a ton of publicity to the CHarlotte franchise.

Heat:

If they miss out on acquiring Boozer and Odom, they'll take the poor man's version of them in Okafur and Wallace.

i dont think the bobcats would trade Wallace for Beasley straight up at this point, and tbh id rather have wallace.

what makes u think u can trade Jermaine ****ing Oneal and a 1st for Wallace AND Okafor????

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

JWO35
07-27-2009, 06:16 PM
I don't get why the Bobcats do this?

Er1c
07-27-2009, 06:22 PM
lol bobcats got ripped off...tysons been injured. even though tyson might have a better defensive game but okafor is definitely better overall

VIP1349
07-27-2009, 06:26 PM
There will be something else in the deal, there contracts I don't think are close enough. I'm sure the Bobcats will get something else of value to take Chandler. Because otherwise it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Even with the Hornets they are trying to save money yet take on Okafor's contract? I don't see this as a great deal, it doesn't put the Hornets over the hump at all, and traps them with salary and the Bobcats only get worse. It's a lose-lose.

Joshtd1
07-27-2009, 06:26 PM
Would be good for the Hornets. I'd much rather see the Hornets with Chandler then Okafor

jimbobjarree
07-27-2009, 06:41 PM
come onn Jazz, get Boozer's expiring in there

TheHeat3
07-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Maybe when Charlotte's owner was told that this trade would immensely benefit the Hornets, he thought they were still called the Charlotte Hornets :shrug:

masalex1205
07-27-2009, 06:45 PM

Rockets:

Bobcats:

Heat:

One of the worst trade proposals I've ever seen.

This just doesn't make sense on so many different levels. So much so that I'm going to call BS.

AirJordanXVIII
07-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Ridiculous steal for the Hornets. Considering Chandler almost went to OKC almost for Wilcox and Joe Smith.

op12
07-27-2009, 07:06 PM
surely this isnt happening or there is more to it. dont care for it.

bleedprple&gold
07-27-2009, 07:10 PM
HEAT get Okafor and Wallace for O'Neal and a 1st. C'mon, get real already.

He must be a Heat fan...

theimortalone
07-27-2009, 07:11 PM
That makes Charlotte a bit smaller with West and Okafor playing the pf and C position. I guess whatever works? :shrug: I though NOH wanted to save money? So much for that I guess..

Wade_County
07-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Okafor signed a six-year, $72 million contract last summer, but will earn about $3 million less than Chandler over the next two seasons (Chandler has a player option for 2010-2011, then becomes a free agent).

kpstunna85
07-27-2009, 07:32 PM
financially it makes sense for the bobcats... but I don't know if it will benefit N.O, Chandler was the receiver of SOOOO many alley-oop dunks... I don't think Okafor has good as hops or quickness as Chandler...

JWO35
07-27-2009, 07:38 PM
It has to be more to this, this can't be a straight up deal.....

Denver-boy
07-27-2009, 08:05 PM
hornets would of settled with Wilcox. has Bobcats GM been in a cave??

i dont like this trade for bobcats at all. bobcats should try for Amare.

BkOriginalOne
07-27-2009, 08:13 PM
This is a great move for The Hornets. It gives them a better frontcourt (West and Okafor) and CP3 should bring a lot more out of Okafor than Felton could have.
As for the Bobcats, I think LB can more out of him than Byron Scott and also, they might be looking to save money in order to be players next summer.

HiphopRelated
07-27-2009, 08:13 PM
i dont think the bobcats would trade Wallace for Beasley straight up at this point,

lol, what can I say.....then again, it is Jordan

jacquewho?
07-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Bobcats may be looking for cap relief to sign Felton to a long-term deal soon. Chandler will most likely opt out to join the big FA class next summer. Don't really understand this move for either sides though...Hornets want to shed some money but get okafor's contract which runs through 2014...

Method28
07-27-2009, 08:46 PM
The Bobcats are trying to get out of that contract they gave Mek. If this trade goes down. They get what like 13 mil of the cap next summer.

dre1990
07-27-2009, 08:51 PM
Great Trade for NO if it goes down. Emeka is very underrated, and is 1 of the best at D in the NBA. He can also score 15ppg without CP3.

PhillySportFan
07-27-2009, 08:54 PM
I hate trades that overload you in a position then you play a player out of position. Okafor and West are both PFs, as someone said before you'll struggle to contend. Honestly NO is better off with Chandler then Okafor, not because of skills but because of fit and needs. The Bobcats lose a low post scorer, do they have any others? if not they could become to perimeter oriented, don't like this trade for either team, completely unbias opinion. I think in the long run both teams would get worse from this trade.

KnicksR4Real
07-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Stupid stupid trade

blazerman
07-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Wow I thought this deal was BS but it's real and should be finalized anytime, Im watching the fan right now an they just annouced the deal is near completion.

Why would the Bobcats do this, stuff like this makes me a little suspicious when a team that is close to paydirt but faltering a bit ends(Lakers and Gasol, Spurs and RJ and the Hornets and this) up with a total lopsided deal that is clearly not doing much for one team and allows the other team to get back in the mix. Im not hatin on the Lakers, Spurs or Hornets (envious of these deals if anything)

Im not trying to start a conspiracy theory or anything but I can see one owner getting a huge sum(hush money) of money to offset operating losses and the NBA keeping certain teams in the limelite and marketability through merchandise and ticket sales and boost slumping ratings for a team that was thought to be up and coming thus allowing all owners to benefit from extra revenue through TV deals. It seems like these type of deals could be a forced thing for business purposes for the good of the NBA (not likely but it makes you wonder, I know this sounds like Im taking a page out of that phony *** pro wrestling crap but if you think about it that is a multi billion dollar industry just like the NBA and wrestling fans for the most part are clueless, retarted as hell but clueless).

It's not like the Bobcats are a big draw in any of the above departments and Hornets merchandise will get a huge shot in the arm. I guess some teams are destined for mediocracy. Chris Paul is too big a draw to not have around but a few games come playoff time.

Great deal for the Hornets and any other team that can get a deal like that likewise for the Lakers and Spurs( I'd be all smiles if it was my team).

The only thing that baffles me is how can the Bobcats play such hardball with the Blazers on Wallace, they wanted the kitchen sink from us but give Okafor for a total zeek in Chandler. I gotta say that's sucks for Blazer fans but it is funny as hell.

I think that the Bobcats GM played his hand so well in dealing with offers for other players he just couldnt deal with the pressure and said **** it and folded. Go big or stay home but on this one he left the table like a whipped dog.

MaHaRaJaH
07-27-2009, 09:33 PM
This is not a good deal for the Bobcats.

Straight up Swindle lol

dtmagnet
07-27-2009, 09:34 PM
This seems like a lateral move for both teams to me am I wrong?

masalex1205
07-27-2009, 09:34 PM
I hate trades that overload you in a position then you play a player out of position. Okafor and West are both PFs, as someone said before you'll struggle to contend. Honestly NO is better off with Chandler then Okafor, not because of skills but because of fit and needs. The Bobcats lose a low post scorer, do they have any others? if not they could become to perimeter oriented, don't like this trade for either team, completely unbias opinion. I think in the long run both teams would get worse from this trade.

I feel like I explain this everyday so this is the last time I'm going to say it: OKAFOR IS A SLIGHTLY UNDERSIZED CENTER, HIS NATURAL POSITION IS NO PF.

Sorry for busting out the all caps but Im a little pissed off right now.

JerseysFinest
07-27-2009, 09:40 PM
i thought no was cutting cap?

S-Dot
07-27-2009, 09:51 PM
A really random trade in my opinion...on the court i'm not sure it helps either team.

Jay22Redd
07-27-2009, 10:22 PM
Good trade for NO

Kruppy54
07-27-2009, 10:32 PM
this would be a pretty even trade if chandler actually plays up to potential....

DQL
07-27-2009, 11:07 PM
stupid MJ :pity:

if the Bobcats want to dump salaries, why not trade him for an expiring contract? The Heat always can offer them Jermaine O'neal

Okafor + G-Wall for JO+Cook (whom they wanted after he won the 3pt contest)+other fillers+a combination of picks

what54!?
07-27-2009, 11:23 PM
so now the hornets have two PFs? eh they still win the trade.

king4day
07-27-2009, 11:26 PM
stupid MJ :pity:

if the Bobcats want to dump salaries, why not trade him for an expiring contract? The Heat always can offer them Jermaine O'neal

Okafor + G-Wall for JO+Cook (whom they wanted after he won the 3pt contest)+other fillers+a combination of picks

Beasley would have to be one of those fillers.

....I think Brown will know what to do with Chandler if he gets him. He did right with Diaw and Bell

IndyRealist
07-27-2009, 11:28 PM
i thought no was cutting cap?

They are, Okafor would cost them less in the next two years (doubled because of the luxury tax) and they'll have more salary in years 3 and 4 (because Chandler's contract isn't that long). Someone said the difference this year is $3M, I didn't check, so if you include the luxury tax they save $6M this year. And they get the better player in the deal, to boot.

Charlotte gets out of the long term obligation to Emeka, and a trading chip next year in Chandler's expiring contract. They're not looking to cut salary, it seems, they're looking to be players in the trade market. Sad too, because I like this Charlotte team.

Vinny642
07-27-2009, 11:29 PM
I think this is a great deal for us. Chandler was cool, ima miss him on the Hornets but we'll he wasnt making us a contender, now weed need a backup big men that can play(Warrick) and then we'll be set.

cowboyz180
07-27-2009, 11:30 PM
wow this is horrible for the bobcats...

DQL
07-27-2009, 11:38 PM
Beasley would have to be one of those fillers.

....I think Brown will know what to do with Chandler if he gets him. He did right with Diaw and Bell

really? don't the Bobcats just want to dump contracts? Okafor for Chandler?? c'mon. And the rumor trade w/ the Cavs (G-Wall for Szczerbiak and Hickson??) THose deals are absolutely lopsided. I think Pat Riley will find a way to get both w/o giving up Beasley. Also Beasley is not a Larry Brown type. And they have Diaw playing the same position

W/ Michael Jordan sitting in the FO, anything can happen

homestarunner93
07-27-2009, 11:56 PM
Get real. Gerald Wallace is a star, stop thinking he's coming to Miami along with Okafor. That's a joke, the Bobcats would even give him to the Blazers for Fernandez+. You might get Okafor for peanuts, but I promise you Gerald Wallace is the real deal and the Bobcats know it, even if the casual fan doesn't.

Trouble87
07-27-2009, 11:58 PM
only MJ knows what MJ is doing...

I don't see this helping the Bobcats long term...

Great move for the Hornets though

IversonIsKrazy
07-28-2009, 01:15 AM
YY THA FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKKKKKKK KKKKKKKK would BOBACTS DO THIS???? IS MJ AN IDIOT WHEN IT COMES TO THE RIGHT DEALS???? Al he is doing is skrewing himself while benifieting the Hornets, unless he wants Chandler's 2010 expiring.

My god, if u wanna benefit sum1, benefit the BUlls, ur Team! Tyrus Thomas + Jerome James for Emeka Okafor :D

PG: Rose/Pargo
SG: Salmons/Hinrich
SF: Deng/JJ
PF: Okafor/Taj
C: Noah/Miller

Vinny642
07-28-2009, 01:21 AM
Now we need a backup big man and a scoring sg/sf.

I think our starting rotation is---

PG- Cp
SG- Butler
SF- Wright(Scott alrdy said he'll start)
PF- West
C- Okafor
Loving it :D

zambo4president
07-28-2009, 01:59 AM
New Orleans makes out nice here.

NYtilIdie
07-28-2009, 02:07 AM
Wow so much for being the face of the franchise Okafor lol

He isn't a all-star but he's a solid player good pick up by NO

NO fans just hope Chandler doesn't "fail" his physical again

black1605
07-28-2009, 02:23 AM
im very torn on this, i love oak, but i have to trust LB

NJrockPD
07-28-2009, 02:32 AM
That can't be it i'm sure the bobcats are getting more then just chandler for meka.

_KB24_
07-28-2009, 02:32 AM

Rockets:

Bobcats:

Heat:

That is a real nice idea. I mean REALLY nice.

Duncan = Donkey
07-28-2009, 04:07 AM
fukin dumb trade for charlotte

*Superman*
07-28-2009, 04:26 AM
I am just thanking God the Magic didn't draft Okafor! Thank you!

Oh yeah, good pick up for NO. lol

DerekRE_3
07-28-2009, 04:31 AM
really? don't the Bobcats just want to dump contracts? Okafor for Chandler?? c'mon. And the rumor trade w/ the Cavs (G-Wall for Szczerbiak and Hickson??) THose deals are absolutely lopsided. I think Pat Riley will find a way to get both w/o giving up Beasley. Also Beasley is not a Larry Brown type. And they have Diaw playing the same position

A rumor that never materialized...

DerekRE_3
07-28-2009, 04:36 AM
If Charlotte agreed to this trade, then it means that Larry Brown did, so I'm good with it. I really like Okafor, he's a class act, durable, and always in shape. But he never improved his post game/offensive game at all since his rookie year. With Felton, Wallace, Diaw, and Chandler, you may see the Bobcats look to push the ball a bit more. This deal also allows us to offer Felton the 6 year deal he wants and what the front office wants.

BoSelecta!!!
07-28-2009, 08:35 AM

Rockets:

Bobcats:

Heat:

Heat get Okufur and G-Force, two potential all stars, by just giving up JO???

Anyway I hope JForce stays in the Bobcats, or come to the Rockets.

BoSelecta!!!
07-28-2009, 08:42 AM
A rumor that never materialized...

Yea no fking way they are going to have Lebron and GForce, possibly two most athletics SFs, playing in the same team.

futureman
07-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Bad trade for the bobcats. After this, I'm definatley sure the jazz can get something for Boozer if the hornets were able to get rid of chandler who is also injury plagued

OT Thriller
07-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Two things. It doesnt make sense why the Hornets have pushed so hard to trade chandler. First with the Thunder last year and then after he failed the physical they have still been determined to trade him. Although it works out great now because they get Okafor but why so urgent to trade away an above average center?

Second thing, like everyone has been saying, why would the Bobcats do this? Does Okafor not fit the system well? Does Larry Brown think Chandler is a better player than Okafor? I feel like a draft pick shoudl go to the Bobcats as well in the deal. Although the move does allow them to sign Felton, which may have given this trade a little leverage.

king4day
07-28-2009, 11:48 AM

They aren't dumping contracts. Besides Beasley is a cheap return. Win Win. You can't seriously tell me you wouldn't trade J'O'Neal and Beasley for Mek and Wallace.

Kakaroach
07-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Bad trade for the bobcats. After this, I'm definatley sure the jazz can get something for Boozer if the hornets were able to get rid of chandler who is also injury plagued x2 I think recent trades have proved that the Jazz can get SOOO much more for Boozer than Heat fans think. The Nuggets get Billups for the expiring of Allen Iverson and now NO is getting Okafor for an injury-riddled Chandler who expires in 2 season?! We can get a good offer for Boozer if trades like this are going down.