PDA

View Full Version : Ron Artest: Is he worth the gamble for L.A?

fairandbalanced
07-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Just read an article describing Ron Artest's antics and how he walks around in his underwear. Apparently, he's prone to missing practice, team bus and generally misbehaving. What is even more surprising is that the Rockets made no attempt of bringing him back, doesn't that raise a level of alarm? My bet is that he will disrupt team chemistry in L.A and he will be benched or dismissed before season ends. The guy would want to be the 'man' in L.A, and y'all know how Kobe gets when someone else istrying to be the "Man"...he will cry for a trade just to see Artest traded by mid-season or next season.

Your thoughts....

GoatMilk
07-27-2009, 03:34 PM
dont listen to Bill Simmons
he hates L.A.
he hates the Lakers.

crazy Boston homer. dont know why ESPN employs him other than their east coast bias

it is worth te risk.
he CHOSE to be a Laker.
he CHOSE to take less money.
he KNOWS Kobe runs the show and Pau is option 2.

he'll be fine

KB---24
07-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Well Phil Jackson should be able to control Ron Artest( he coached Dennis Rodman) and if Lamar Odom resigns then he will have sumone on the team that can help Artest.

Hawkeye15
07-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Ron was on good behavior in Houston, that isn't much of an issue anymore. It will remain to be seen if he can fit into the triangle, and accepting basically a role player's job. He was the black hole in Houston, but he had to be at times. But he overdribbles, and shoots too many threes. His defense is also overrated at this point. Battier guarded the other team's best player for 38 minutes, Ron for about 10. He is most likely an upgrade over Ariza, but does not make up for the loss of both Ariza and Odom.
Hopefully he and Kobe don't but heads, but at this point, Artest is a vet, and may be willing to simply take a role. Houston let him walk, because with Yao and TMac both out, they knew they were in rebuilding mode, and Ariza is much younger. They had no use for Artest as currently constructed. It will be an experiment for LA, no doubt.

lakers4sho
07-27-2009, 03:49 PM
He wants to win.

Jays Claw
07-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Team chemistry will be very important for the Lakers.

Zefflin
07-27-2009, 04:01 PM
And Artest will make it even better.

nbaguy123
07-27-2009, 04:02 PM
he is worth it because at this point in his career hes all about winning and will probably do whatever it takes to win

st3voness
What do you mean "is he worth the gamble"? He's already signed. LA is stuck with him for five years whether it pans out or not.. lol.

rjvacad
Just read an article describing Ron Artest's antics and how he walks around in his underwear. Apparently, he's prone to missing practice, team bus and generally misbehaving. What is even more surprising is that the Rockets made no attempt of bringing him back, doesn't that raise a level of alarm? My bet is that he will disrupt team chemistry in L.A and he will be benched or dismissed before season ends. The guy would want to be the 'man' in L.A, and y'all know how Kobe gets when someone else istrying to be the "Man"...he will cry for a trade just to see Artest traded by mid-season or next season.

Your thoughts....

Gamble? At MLE, he is a steal.

Kakaroach
07-27-2009, 04:03 PM
I would have taken Ariza for the Lakers over Artest. Of course you have doubts, because its Ron Artest lol.

D-Will4Prez
07-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Depends on if Lakers keep LO or not...

rjvacad
07-27-2009, 04:04 PM
he is worth it because at this point in his career hes all about winning and will probably do whatever it takes to win

To be more correct, it is all about the RING!!!!!

rjvacad
07-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Depends on if Lakers keep LO or not...

What does having or not having LO have to do with the question?

ink
07-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Gamble? At MLE, he is a steal.

Exactly.

That is unless walking around "in his underwear" is enough to destroy team chemistry.

:laugh:

Catfish1314
07-27-2009, 04:10 PM
When you consider how cheap he was and the fact the Lakers lost Ariza and possibly Odom too, absolutely it was worth it. He may or may not work out, but imagine having lost out on Odom and Ariza and then not having Artest.

rjvacad
07-27-2009, 04:18 PM
exactly.

That is unless walking around "in his underwear" is enough to destroy team chemistry.

RaiderLakersA's
07-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Not a concern, as long as we're winning.

For all you know, there may be a behavior clause in his contract. Really not worried about Artest at all.

Gibby23
07-27-2009, 04:24 PM
http://thefastertimes.com/nba/2009/07/26/ron-artest-brings-the-hood-to-china/
Ron Artest Brings the Hood to China

At this point, I didn’t think there was anything the Artest Currently Known as Ron could do to make me think he was even crazier and funnier than I already thought he was.

But of course, I was wrong.

What’s left for the guy who has brought the hood into every single arena he has ever played in? Exporting it to China:

When my buddy told me about this video, I assumed the worst. But I gotta tell you, after watching it a few times, I really think it is as good as just about anything you hear on the radio these days. Granted, that is about as impressive as being the best dunker in the WNBA, but still. A lot of people will hate on him, but he does not totally suck. In fact, Ron can flow.

I don’t care what anybody says, Ron Artest is the most interesting character in the league since Daryl Dawkins arrived from the planet LoveTron. Starbury is a close second, but he doesn’t have the game to back it up anymore, so he is really just a sideshow at this point.

It took a lot for Ron to outdo himself in my eyes. I mean, he is already responsible for the biggest brawl in NBA history. He once asked Larry Bird for time off from hoops to promote his rap career, which is the basketball equivalent of asking General Patton for time off from WWII so you can work on your tan on the beaches of Normandy. He allegedly once recorded a country tune with an elderly woman (20 million internet points to whoever can find a link). But my all time favorite Ron Artest moment was when he sang an apology song to Paul Pierce after pantsing him during a game.

And of course, he exploded my head when he told us that he didn’t think playoff basketball was particularly physical compared to pickup games back in his neighborhood where people were known to get stabbed through the heart with scorer’s tables.

But watching a club full of enthusiastic but confused Chinese hip-hop fans bob their heads and throw their hands up while RonRon raps about looking for an H-town girl, an East Coast girl, a West Coast girl, or maybe, if there is a willing honey in the audience, a Shanghai girl, was perhaps the most sublimely amusing experience of my life.

The kid at the 4:30 mark is particularly hilarious. If someway, somehow Artest’s TruWarier Productions can be the next big thing in China, I might be the happiest blogger in the world.

Ron has some rap skills. He definitely worked that crowd. They looked like they were enjoying it. If he can somehow convince Yao Ming to dress up like Ziggy Stardust and maybe pull one of these, he will own China.

Add Fastersport on Twitter.

Photo by Gabriel M.

Gibby23
07-27-2009, 04:24 PM
^^ I love this guy.

lakerboy
07-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Fair and balanced. Dude, you're like Fox news.

L@ker4Life
07-27-2009, 04:53 PM
What do you mean "is he worth the gamble"? He's already signed. LA is stuck with him for five years whether it pans out or not.. lol.

I thought it was only a 3 year deal. Can anyone confirm the length of the deal. I would be pleased as punch if it really is a 5 yr deal.

Gibby23
07-27-2009, 04:57 PM
I thought it was only a 3 year deal. Can anyone confirm the length of the deal. I would be pleased as punch if it really is a 5 yr deal.

5 year deal with player option after year 4.

Dodlakpak
07-27-2009, 04:59 PM
he hates L.A.
he hates the Lakers.

crazy Boston homer. dont know why ESPN employs him other than their east coast bias

it is worth te risk.
he CHOSE to be a Laker.
he CHOSE to take less money.
he KNOWS Kobe runs the show and Pau is option 2.

he'll be fine

From this forward i will never read a Bill SImmons article ever again, hes just a flat out hater, plain and simple. Artest will be fine in purple and gold...the reason he overdribbled and took more shots than anyone on that team was cuz he basically their entire offense when yao and mcgrady were out, hes gona thrive in the triangle!

plpfctn
07-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Artest has to do what ariza did on offense. Hit WIDE OPEN 3s. surely Artest can do that. Artest has a pretty good post up game to add to the offense, something ariza never did. Defensively Artest will be an upgrade from Ariza. Ariza had a hard time guarding bigger SFs. the bigger Carmelo Anthony killed Ariza and forced PJ to put Kobe on him with double teams. Problem solved with Artest. Artest allows the Lakers to switch on D with Artest guarding SGs and PFs and even some undersized centers. Artest is a risk b/c of his past, but his behavior has immensely improved. He is now a team player who wants to win.

plpfctn
07-27-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm sure a lot of teams would love to have artest at the MLE. Lakers saved a lot of $$$ for a player with his talent.

blazerman
07-27-2009, 05:24 PM
Of course he's worth the gamble, dude brings a serious bit of toughness to LA.

Kobe might catch a lickin every now and then but heck so would Roy if Artest was a Blazer.

All joking aside he will help the Lakers more than any other signing in the West helps their team. I would have loved for the Blazers to have gotten him so I imagine that Laker fans are stoked as well.

majmarcus
07-27-2009, 05:26 PM
As of right now, it really doesn't matter. The good news is The Lakers have yet to lose a game since acquiring Artest. The bad news is they haven't won a game since they picked up Artest. IMO, this thread is more of a mid-season type thing. After about 20-30 games or so. As far as that thing with the Rockets...I personally think it was more about them having a shot at a younger Ariza. Artest havent really caused any problems since the "Malice in the Palace"! Unless I've missed sumin. Everyone and they Momma knows the Media don't allow people to 4get things. America is a forgiving country my azz! Artest is a Laker now fams.....deal with it.

Another thing...REINSTATE PETE ROSE ALREADY! GAWD D^MN, IT'S BEEN 20 FRIGGIN YRS! GET THE H3LL OVER IT. I GET IT,HE BET ON BASEBALL....BAD BOY PETE! Now to sum up....

a)Accept Artest,he IS a Laker Now!
b)Give Odom a lifetime pass to the candy lady as a parting gift(we will mail you your ring)Adios!
c)Phuckin reinstate Good Ol' Pete
d)Slap the h3ll outta Mr.Media(Jay Mariotti)
e)If you DON'T want TO's opinion....DON'T ASK HIM THE QUESTION!
f)For the Love of all that's pure...catch Favre in an alley & whoop his azz! Put an end PERMANENTLY to all that comeback crap.
g)I don't care who doesnt like what I wrote! Talk about silly threads...I mean shyt man,does anyone have any Lakers News of significance to report/discuss. The ****** fantasy trades,long shot fa signings, if if if....IF "IF" WAS A 5TH, WE'D ALL BE DRUNK! If LO leaves, it's because he's a Back sliding Busta. Kobe,Buss,Artest,Mitch,Phil,etc...ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE for his departure!

S.J.Basketball
07-27-2009, 05:32 PM
We're paying him peanuts for the next 3 years. Where's the gamble?

JordansBulls
07-27-2009, 05:44 PM

Your thoughts....

He is done playing antics. He wants to win.

ink
07-27-2009, 05:46 PM
He is done playing antics. He wants to win.

100% agree. This is a very good move by the Lakers.

Verbal Christ
07-27-2009, 06:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090727

To the Lakers' fans. If you think your boys improved by swapping Trevor Ariza (a 24-year-old who came into his own this past spring, shot 45 percent from 3-point land, came through repeatedly in the clutch, turned into the NBA's single best defensive swingman and doesn't care about his numbers) for Ron Artest (an unreliable 29-year-old head case/attention hog who slipped noticeably as a perimeter defender these past two seasons and has a knack for taking terrible shots at the worst possible times), then absolutely, you're on drugs. I don't know what else to tell you. Your team is worse. I'm sorry. And that's before we get into the whole "Is Lamar Odom coming back?" and "Do you really want to commit to an aging Artest for FIVE years?" questions.

To Artest. Here's a classic case of someone hoodwinking the American public with a 10-year pattern of bizarre behavior that eventually immunized them to all future crazy Ron Artest stories and anecdotes, such as the fact that he's wearing No. 37 to honor Michael Jackson because it's the same number of weeks that "Thriller" led the charts (um, what?), or his recent revelation that he had been pining to play for the Lakers for two solid years. Artest told reporters that he wandered into the Lakers' locker room to express that desire to a showering Kobe Bryant -- right after L.A.'s bitter Game 6 thrashing in Boston in the 2008 Finals, no less -- adding, "Yeah, I walked in the shower. I'm not a homosexual or nothing like that, but Kobe had no clothes on."

These anecdotes just bounce off people now. Artest is a benevolent crazy. Or so we think. Being around this nuttiness every day is a little different from merely hearing about the nuttiness in secondhand anecdotes. I know for a fact he routinely broke plays on offense and is still a handful behind the scenes, and the Rockets buried every 2008-09 story that would have made this patently clear. For instance, Artest routinely walked around in his underwear in public places: the Rockets' team bus, hotels, you name it. People around the team barely flinched after a while. Before Game 7 of the Lakers series -- only the biggest game of the entire season -- they finally flinched.

Here's what happened: Artest missed the first two team buses (the ones for players, coaches and team personnel) from Houston's hotel to the Staples Center and barely made the third and final bus, which was reserved for business staff, sponsors and friends of the team. These stunned people watched Artest sprint to the bus right before it left, jump on and take one of the remaining seats ... yes, wearing only his underwear. Owner Leslie Alexander happened to be sitting on the bus and witnessed the whole thing. And you wonder why the Houston Rockets didn't make any effort whatsoever to bring back Artest.

Despite what Lakers fans might think, Ron Artest is not an upgrade over Ariza.(Note: If you want to make the "Kobe and Phil can keep him in check much like MJ and Phil kept Rodman in check" argument, just remember Rodman was still a world-class defender and rebounder when Chicago acquired him. Artest is neither. If anything, his athleticism is slipping and he can't defend quick small forwards anymore. So why even risk it? Wait, why am I complaining? Thank you for screwing up your title defense, Lakers!)

im not the biggest simmons fan out there, but when he's right .. he's right LOL im gonna put the over/under at 20 games before laker fan starts pulling his hair out.

KBfrom8to24
07-27-2009, 07:08 PM

Your thoughts....

idiotic idea from a lakers/kobe hater:mad::mad::mad:

Chronz
07-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Hes not a Lakers hater, thats just what hes labeled for constantly bashing the Lakers even though hes right. In his own words he admits he hates the Lakers the same way Laker fans hate Boston, but it doesnt stop him from thinking things objectively.

Chronz
07-27-2009, 07:20 PM
100% agree. This is a very good move by the Lakers.
Isnt Artest the brand name, arent you the guy whos against the big name additions?

ink
07-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Isnt Artest the brand name, arent you the guy whos against the big name additions?

No. And no.

jakesmail123
07-27-2009, 09:43 PM
he hates L.A.
he hates the Lakers.

hah he is one of the few people that helps balance out all the laker lovers. every broadcaster loves them and it shows in their analysis which makes games worse. the calls they get should be enough.
lakers get just as much love on espn as anyone else.

Trouble87
07-27-2009, 10:00 PM
not worth the gamble if you ask me

the signing of Ron Ron ultimately cost them Ariza & LO

lose two of your most versatile players to bring in a aging former defensive player of the year... horrible

fairandbalanced
07-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Fair and balanced. Dude, you're like Fox news.

I take that personally as an insult to my integrity, comparing me to Fox News is an outrage, and I expect everyone here to protest that comparison. I actually demand an apology for that insult. Since I been here, it's known by everyone that I am the most fair and balanced person this forum has ever had.

ink
07-27-2009, 10:06 PM
I take that personally as an insult to my integrity, comparing me to Fox News is an outrage, and I expect everyone here to protest that comparison. I actually demand an apology for that insult. Since I been here, it's known by everyone that I am the most fair and balanced person this forum has ever had.

I can't tell if you're kidding or not. Based on the fact that a lot of your threads start with a heavily biased point of view I would say that you have to be kidding. Not trying to offend, but geez ...

fairandbalanced
07-27-2009, 10:08 PM
I can't tell if you're kidding or not. Based on the fact that a lot of your threads start with a heavily biased point of view I would say that you have to be kidding. Not trying to offend, but geez ...

That is not my intention, I come here with a open mind all the time.

ink
07-27-2009, 10:15 PM
That is not my intention, I come here with a open mind all the time.

Well in that case I think you need to work on the first post of your threads. More often than not it's inflammatory and we have to figure out whether or not it's going to start fights. Not exactly what I'd call "fair and balanced" at all. Kind of the opposite to be honest.

For example, in this one, a "fair and balanced" approach would be to REPORT OBJECTIVELY what is said about Artest and ask for opinions. You can obviously add your opinion to the mix later. By offering your opinion in the title or the OP you're skewing the objectivity immediately.

This comment right here is just fire-starter:

My bet is that he will disrupt team chemistry in L.A and he will be benched or dismissed before season ends. The guy would want to be the 'man' in L.A, and y'all know how Kobe gets when someone else is trying to be the "Man"...he will cry for a trade just to see Artest traded by mid-season or next season.

Three inflammatory remarks in the OP. Yeah, really "fair and balanced". The Kobe "cry for a trade" remark is actually borderline baiting.

I still think you have to be joking. You are in fact fair and balanced in just the same way FOX news is.

:shrug:

If you don't like that assessment, don't post inflammatory comments to start threads.

smith&wesson
07-27-2009, 10:36 PM
aquiring artest was HUGE for the lakers.

do you realize how much harder it will be to play against them now?
the lakers now have 3-4 guys who can light it up at any time. and when i mean light it up i mean guys that are capable of scoring 30 on any given night.

1. kobe
2. gasol
3. artest
4. if he returns, lamar.

artest and kobe on the wings... whatch out.

heres a question, who would you double team on the lakers

if you double kobe, he can pass to gasol, artest, odem

if you double the other guys kobe's open. this does nothing but make the lakers better. not to mention on the defensive end artest is very affective and not over rated at all.

im not even a laker fan, but that article says HATERRRR all over it.

ChiSox219
07-27-2009, 10:37 PM
What gamble?