PDA

View Full Version : What could we offer for Lee?

bartron_44
07-27-2009, 02:18 PM
did anyone else see Roy speak to the public the other day? He simply sounded to me like a man who would wait and see what kind of team the Jays had in 2010/2011 before he would think abuot talking extensions/contracts. I think JP is speaking the truth for once when he says he wil not trade him unless he is WOWed by someone. I mean, the guy could possibly be putting his life at risk here....career wise, and physically...lol

Why not treat Halladay the same way Brian Colangelo is treating CB4 this year with the raptors. Surround him with the best team possible to try and entice him to resign. I am sure he would rather win a world series in toronto and go out a Jay, he is a throw back type of guy.

What could we offer the Indians for Lee? We have had alot of young pitchers throw pretty darn good for us, and the only 'Untouchable' guy other than Doc in that trade would be Romero. Cecil may be tough, but for a former Cy Young winner to match with Roy......sorry Brett, I'd make that trade anyday.

Now obviously Cecil alone would not entice Cleveland, so what else do they need/want? Would Rios and McGowan land Lee? Maybe a package of McGowan,Tallet and Snider?

I think we have plenty of arms now, and a surplus of OF's. If Snider is ever going to come to the majors, we need to move an outfielder, and you'll obviously need to give up pitching to get pitching.

Halladay
Lee
Marcum
Romero
Cecil/Richmond/zipper/Jenkins (latest first round draft pick...could be a dandy)

with our offense and that starting staff for a FULL season, I say we compete for a championship!!

scotttube
07-27-2009, 02:22 PM
lol

Zaunnie
07-27-2009, 02:26 PM

King Rick
07-27-2009, 02:26 PM
This is exactly how the conversation would go.

"We're interested in getting Cliff Lee from you guys"

"What do you have to offer?"

"Cecil, Rios, and Mcgow...."

*click*

"Hello?"

bartron_44
07-27-2009, 02:34 PM
I did not say that had to be the package, I am just wondering what it would take? What kind of packages with that much MLB ready talent would the Indians be seeing for him? I have not read any potential offers, only that some teams have been interested in him..

Instead of pointless comments, try answering the question...

blujaysrock
07-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Are you on crack? Cecil and Snider most likely won't get going anywhere since he is a top 10 prospect in all of baseball and is only 20 with major league experience. Mcgowan may never pitch again and if we're shopping Doc why would we trade for Lee? This really makes no sense.

geoff63
07-27-2009, 03:09 PM
I remember back in the day when Cleveland wanted Rios for Lee

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/12/rios-for-frankl.html

Good times, good times

ChacinCologne
07-27-2009, 03:09 PM
lmfao @ McGowan

blujaysrock
07-27-2009, 03:24 PM
and Franklin Gutierrez is having an amazing year too just imagine that now :o

The Analyst
07-27-2009, 03:48 PM
I think when Halladay told JP that he wants to leave to play for a winner, what he was hoping was that would be taken by management as a signal to get their act together and field a winner ASAP. Unfortunately, JP called his bluff and instead started scrambling to trade him rather than concentrating on lobbying ownership for an increase in payroll and looking to add at the trade deadline.

Trading Halladay isn't a move JP is making to improve the team, it's a move he's making to improve his resume by overshadowing eight years of bad management.

bartron_44
07-27-2009, 03:49 PM
Snider is good, but you have to give up something to get something. These type of prospects is what makes me think that we have the prospects to go out and IMPROVE our squad around Halladay, and continue to try and win a championship in 2010. We had money to sign AJ supposedly last year, so why not a former Cy Young winner?

I know I can't say you can't win a ring without Roy, as I am fairly certain every MLB ring has been won so far without him, but losing him is losing a VERY valuable piece to the puzzle. You need a legitamate ace to win in the playoffs, and he is the only one we have. Romero may be one day, but not for a few more years. However, if we can somehow get a true #2 starter to go with Romero and Marcum next year, we have a VERY good rotation..

donatolla
07-27-2009, 03:55 PM

*click*

"Hello?"

Classic!

donatolla
07-27-2009, 04:18 PM
In all seriousness, while not a completely dreadful idea, I wouldn't be comfortable trading away *any* arms. Main reason: If Halladay isn't traded, he will leave after 2010. That's certainly the point where the young arms that are doing well for us now will come in really handy.

nithanyo
07-27-2009, 04:20 PM
id offer Snider and Cecil. Take one more hack at this playoff thing for next year. Maye just maybe Lee would be sent here.

A doc, lee one two punch would be great

Habs n Jays Fan
07-27-2009, 04:22 PM
In all seriousness, while not a completely dreadful idea, I wouldn't be comfortable trading away *any* arms. Main reason: If Halladay isn't traded, he will leave after 2010. That's certainly the point where the young arms that are doing well for us now will come in really handy.

Very true. And we can't forget that Lee is a Free Agent after this year(he has a 9 million dollar option for 2010). So not only would the Jays be risking trading all their good prospects, but after 2010, when Doc and Lee are Free Agents, they could have absolutely nothing to show for it if they left.

donatolla
07-27-2009, 04:39 PM
id offer Snider and Cecil. Take one more hack at this playoff thing for next year. Maye just maybe Lee would be sent here.

While the indians would certainly appreciate that, most of the 'buzz' is that Lee can be had for less. He certainly won't require 2 of an organization's top 5 prospects to make the deal happen. Heck, that's the whole reason clubs appear to be turning their interest to him.

I would be tempted to start with Zep (I know I said I wouldn't do that), Jackson, and Ahrens.

BlueJayFanDan
07-27-2009, 06:49 PM
While trading for Lee wouldnt be that bad of an idea, I think realistically if we want to compete next year we need to be trading for hitters. Keep in mind what we will have at the pitchers spot next season if Doc isnt traded. We will have Doc, Marcum, Romero, Cecil, Rzepcynski, Janssen, Tallet, Richmond, Purcey, Litsch(but not until late in the year if he comes back that early) Mills(if hes ready), maybe we pick up a good pitcher like Bedard in free agency. We have more then 5 guys that can make a very good rotation. Frankly I say we throw Tallet and Janssen back in the bullpen because we need them there. But the point I am getting at is that Cecil has been starting to show his greatness, Romero has been great this season. Richmond is very good. Rzepcynski can be a very good pitcher. Marcum will be healthy. We have a ton of talent and we are capable of winning if our hitters get it together. And also keep in mind if we can have a really good season next year and maybe even win the world series Halladay at that point would likely be more willing to stay. I think for the rest of this season we need to take chances on our young talent and see what some guys are capable of at the major league level. Dopirak, Snider, Coats, Ruiz, and a few other guys should be called up by September and given a chance to play because one or two of them may be very helpful for this team next year. Who knows.

H-MYK
07-27-2009, 08:10 PM
I don't think the Jays should go after Lee.

Rogi10
07-28-2009, 01:27 AM

what??? BOTH snider and Cecil?? Hell, I wouldn't offer any of them.

Cecil has ace material and snider has 40 hr potential. I wouldn't give those guys up for a average pitcher.

Dark Donnie
07-28-2009, 01:28 AM
Cliff Lee isn't average

Rogi10
07-28-2009, 01:34 AM
I guess he is better then average but, i still wouldn't give up two pretty good prospects.

bomber0104
07-28-2009, 01:59 AM
you can't be serious... the last thing we need now is to go and trade prospects to get a guy who I believe will be a FA this offseason.. We need to get prospects not trade them away

Gibby
07-28-2009, 03:55 AM
no way are the jays buyers. i would be interested what stance jays would take in the offseason. If the jays wanted to make one final run with doc, then i think jays could go after lee but i want victor martinez more. i would be willing to deal any prospects other than snider.

Bluerapoileagle
07-29-2009, 10:43 AM
I remember back in the day when Cleveland wanted Rios for Lee

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2007/12/rios-for-frankl.html

Good times, good times

I liked it more when the Giants wanted Rios for Lincemcum. I so wish they made that deal....

Bluerapoileagle
07-29-2009, 02:32 PM
And staying on the whole trading for players to keep Doc here topic, what about Victor Martinez? I don't know his name, but the Indinans got a top prospect catcher in the Lee deal, so Martinez could be on his way about. Maybe the Jays inquire about him?

AirJordanXVIII
07-29-2009, 02:54 PM

*click*

"Hello?"

:laugh2: