PDA

View Full Version : Is it Odom or bust for Heat?

J_M_B
07-27-2009, 01:43 PM
http://blogs.herald.com/miami_heat/2009/07/coincidence-or-crafty-move.html

As the Lamar Odom sweepstakes turn, it appears that the Heat's recruitment team of president Pat Riley and star guard Dwyane Wade has taken the sales pitches to Los Angeles. Riley-Lookingup

Word is that Riley took a flight out to Southern California late last week (where he maintains a home), and Wade followed with his second trip out west in as many weeks, arriving last night.

Both men presumably have other business and personal reasons for the trip. But it's not beyond the realm of possibility that they might also squeeze in some one-on-one time with Odom. Wade created another Twitter frenzy last night when he tweeted - and joked, perhaps - that he was in L.A. to bring Odom back to Miami.

This situation appears to be coming to a head within the next 24-48 hours. But even as this episode drags on, you have to wonder what happens with the Heat if Odom stays with the Lakers. If Plan L.O. goes up in smoke, is there a Plan B?

By offering Odom the full mid-level contract, Miami has already shown that it is willing to go well above the luxury tax limit and use funds Riley had suggested earlier this summer that he wouldn't touch. He also is willing to take on a contract that cuts into the precious 2010 salary space the franchise has protected as if it were a national treasure.

Odom-Heat Without making a follow-up move to dump some salary, Odom's $5.85 million starting salary next season would equate to close to a $12 million investment for the Heat, when you consider the luxury tax penalty.

There's no question that Riley has contradicted many of his previously stated positions in this Odom pursuit. But what happens if things fall through, and Riley/Wade return to Miami w/o L.O.?

Is there a fall-back plan to salvage the offseason?

Would the Heat still be willing to use the mid-level to go after help at point guard (where the options range from a reunion with Jason Williams to a reclamation project with Jamaal Tinsley)?

Would there be a pursuit on the sign-and-trade front to secure a Carlos Boozer or Tyson Chandler or Amare Stoudemire?

Would there be any interest in making a marginal, but athletic upgrade such as a Hakim Warrick? And since they're out in L.A. anyway, why not check in with the other team regarding a Kaman or a Camby?

Or does Odom simply represent a Powerball situation - one ticket, one shot at the big stash? There's still time to make smart moves this summer.

But if Odom isn't issued a boarding pass alongside Riley and Wade on the return flight to MIA, might Riley ground all meaningful attempts at a major roster upgrade in Summer '09?

Obviously, there's a will to get something done with Odom. But will there be a way or effort to salvage this offseason if things don't work out?

With Odom - as has been the case throughout his career - there always seem to be more questions than answers.
I think Pat Riley and Dwyane Wade are in L.A for other business, but do you guys think they might make a stop to talk with Odom about signing with Miami?

I'm in LA to bring odom bac to miami with me lol lol lol. LA fans dnt get mad at me..

http://twitter.com/dwadeofficial

:shrug: I believe he's joking around about that. What do you guys think?

GoatMilk
07-27-2009, 01:49 PM
he's not going to Miami
I think everyone knows that

J_M_B
07-27-2009, 01:55 PM
he's not going to Miami

If it's clear that he's going to L.A, why hasn't he signed their yet? Why haven't negotiations for a new contract on a stand still? I agree L.A is the front runners, but anything can happen. He can still chose either city as of right now.

jrodmesche
07-27-2009, 02:02 PM
I luv how Lakers fans say hes not going to Miami when it basically looks lke thats wat hes about to do

GoatMilk
07-27-2009, 02:03 PM
should re-sign in the next few days

J_M_B
07-27-2009, 02:08 PM
should re-sign in the next few days

That's exactly what everybody has been saying for more than 2 weeks now, but let's hope your right it because this has been exhausting and just want him to sign with someone already.

GoatMilk
07-27-2009, 02:11 PM
That's exactly what everybody has been saying for more than 2 weeks now, but let's hope your right it because this has been exhausting and just want him to sign with someone already.

why?
without him, the offseason is basically done, and we're bored til late september.

let this drag like manny and favre lol

J_M_B
07-27-2009, 02:21 PM
why?
without him, the offseason is basically done, and we're bored til late september.

let this drag like manny and favre lol

Well if you put it that way, yeah the off-season is pretty much over , Lamar don't sign yet! lol

naztrack
07-27-2009, 02:24 PM
I luv how Lakers fans say hes not going to Miami when it basically looks lke thats wat hes about to do

i agree :)

fairandbalanced
07-27-2009, 02:27 PM
I actually don't want Odom, I think we should continue growing our young core for atleast a year. Just my thought.

jimbobjarree
07-27-2009, 02:28 PM
who cares lamar, just make a damn decision, neither offer is going to change

Lo Porto
07-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Some Laker fans have already turned on Odom. If he waits much longer, Miami fans will start getting annoyed. If both fan bases are irritated, he won't be the returning star or the great FA acquisition.

Wade_County
07-27-2009, 02:43 PM
according to source he is sopose to decide in the next 24-48 hours, but ive heard that before

Jonathan2323
07-27-2009, 02:45 PM
i'm already annoyed

KB---24
07-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Well at least he will make up his mind unless he cant think lol

Lo Porto
07-27-2009, 02:50 PM
according to source he is sopose to decide in the next 24-48 hours, but ive heard that before

Considering today might be the slowest NBA news day of the summer so far, knowing what he's doing soon would be nice. You know what a lot of GM's say - most major roster decisions are usually made prior to August 1.

Wade_County
07-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Considering today might be the slowest NBA news day of the summer so far, knowing what he's doing soon would be nice. You know what a lot of GM's say - most major roster decisions are usually made prior to August 1.

im just ready for this to be over. Just sign with someone, so teams can move on and build.

GoatMilk
07-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Sportscenter just said he's considering a lesser deal from the Lakers.
according to multiple sources.

i'll try to find at least 1 article

J_M_B
07-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Odom needs to make a decision and fast. I can't stand all this drama with Laker fans and all fans for that matter debating where he'll end up. I really want to see him end up on the Heat, but I still see that as a long shot. Though if he resigns with L.A I won't be mad because at least all the Odom media stuff will be over. Make up your damn mind Lamar!

Lo Porto
07-27-2009, 03:11 PM
If Odom takes less money than the original offer to stay in LA, I want to punch him and his agent in the face. If that happens, it only proves that LA is the luckiest damn franchise in the NBA. I'd give it 6 weeks into the season before he starts complaining about not starting or Bynum start complaining about his loss of minutes.

GoatMilk
07-27-2009, 03:36 PM
If Odom takes less money than the original offer to stay in LA, I want to punch him and his agent in the face. If that happens, it only proves that LA is the luckiest damn franchise in the NBA. I'd give it 6 weeks into the season before he starts complaining about not starting or Bynum start complaining about his loss of minutes.

if he didnt really complain in a contract year, he wont after he gets a new contract

USM2012
07-27-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm just ready for him to decide so that i can look at the heat and make up trade ideas in my head about what i think riley should do haha :D Alhough i want lamar really bad cuz i think it would be the best thing for Beasley which means the best thing for Wade and in return means the best thing for the Heat!!! Plus the Lakers got Pau for just a bottle of lube, that they inturn used to rape the rest of the league with and its our turn to get our gift :clap:

D-Will4Prez
07-27-2009, 04:09 PM
Either Miami gets LO and Boozer, or they end up with nothing and lose DWade...They won't be willing to give up Beasley unless they have LO and Utah's not about to give up Boozer for Haslem.

J_M_B
07-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Either Miami gets LO and Boozer, or they end up with nothing and lose DWade...They won't be willing to give up Beasley unless they have LO and Utah's not about to give up Boozer for Haslem.

You can't really say that. I really believe Miami will get one or the other. Pat Riley will never let Dwyane Wade leave Miami. He has already said that would be his worst nightmare. Nobody has ever pulled off more blockbuster trades then Riley. Nobody is going to see it coming, but I have a strong feeling that Riley is going to make moves that would turn this team into legit contenders it might not be Carlos Boozer and Lamar Odom, but something is going to come. We already witness him make a contending team out of the blue before. Who says he can't do it again? Wade isn't leaving South Beach, he knows Riley is going to put together a team around him before it's all said and done.

ATX
07-27-2009, 04:49 PM

That may be true, but you might as well put the notion of Beasley going to Utah to sleep. No way Miami trades Mike for Carlos. That is just stupid...very stupid.

J_M_B
07-27-2009, 05:02 PM
That may be true, but you might as well put the notion of Beasley going to Utah to sleep. No way Miami trades Mike for Carlos. That is just stupid...very stupid.

+1 Noway we give Beasley up for a 1 year rental that would be insane and stupid. Why would they want another starting PF, when they already have their future PF in Paul Milsap?

fishfan79
07-27-2009, 05:40 PM
who cares lamar, just make a damn decision, neither offer is going to change

+1 for truth

JordansBulls
07-27-2009, 05:43 PM
It is if the Heat want Wade to stay.

HuRRiCaNeS324
07-27-2009, 06:50 PM
he's not going to Miami

I pray to god he signs with the heat lol. Its gonna be so funny to see what yall are gonna say.

Master Mind
07-27-2009, 07:29 PM
I pray to god he signs with the heat lol. Its gonna be so funny to see what yall are gonna say.

They're gonna say stuff like "The Heat are still just a 4th-5th seed team", "Y'all can have him we don't need him", or "Up yours LO and Miami!"...:p

kpstunna85
07-27-2009, 07:50 PM
If Odom wants to be a part of a winning team, he should stay with L.A. He might even start as the SF. and they put Artest of the bench. Miami can't compete with Cavs,celtics, specially not the Magics. So Odom if u read the forums, sign with LA they are offering you more money, if you keep playing the way u do, u might be able to get another 2 years in L.a after the 3 years is done.

chicago lulz
07-27-2009, 07:52 PM
They're gonna say stuff like "The Heat are still just a 4th-5th seed team", "Y'all can have him we don't need him", or "Up yours LO and Miami!"...:p

And if LA re-signs him you'll hear the Miami fans saying "We didn't want him anyways", "We're still a 4th or 5th seed team", "You all can have him, we don't want him", "He would've hurt Beasley's development", etc. See how it's easy to turn things around?

Jonathan2323
07-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Yawn