PDA

View Full Version : Drew Gooden: 'Dallas, here I come!'

st3voness
07-26-2009, 12:51 AM
fishsportsDrew Gooden says: 'Dallas here I come!' ... we'll work on the details at www.DallasBasketball.com
www.DallasBasketball.com
Source: www.DallasBasketball.com

As of 5 minutes ago, Drew Gooden to Dallas.

Article being worked on and should be completed within the hour.

I'd much rather prefer Hakim Warrick, but Drew Gooden is a solid addition to our bench. This doesn't put us over the top, but is a cheap solution to losing Bass. We still need a scoring C and possibly a true SG.

Kidd / Barea / Beaubois
Howard / Terry / Carroll
Marion / Ross / Williams
Nowitzki / Gooden / Humphries
Dampier / Jawai / ?

HouRealCoach
07-26-2009, 12:53 AM
? = Hollins and they have too much scoring

st3voness
07-26-2009, 12:55 AM

Hollins has not be re-signed and I doubt he will.

BlondeBomber41
07-26-2009, 01:09 AM
I wouldnt expect Hollins back unless Jawai is moved.

I am hoping that when Buckner can be traded we will move Buckner, Williams, Jawai and maybe someone like Shan Foster to bring in Chris Kaman.

Kidd/Barea
Howard/Terry
Marion/Ross
Dirk/Gooden
Kaman/Dampier

Gives us a chance to compete with anyone in the NBA.

st3voness
07-26-2009, 01:17 AM

I am hoping that when Buckner can be traded we will move Buckner, Williams, Jawai and maybe someone like Shan Foster to bring in Chris Kaman.

Kidd/Barea
Howard/Terry
Marion/Ross
Dirk/Gooden
Kaman/Dampier

A Mavericks team with decent defense... who would've thought?!

iggypop123
07-26-2009, 01:18 AM
they should have probably blown it up, but give credit to cuban they are going all out to try and win something

phillychi009
07-26-2009, 01:21 AM
[QUOTE=BlondeBomber41;10282616]I wouldnt expect Hollins back unless Jawai is moved.

Kidd/Barea
Howard/Terry
Marion/Ross
Dirk/Gooden
Kaman/Dampier

Gives us a chance to compete with anyone in the NBA.[/QU

That would be a great fit

aman_13
07-26-2009, 01:26 AM
Jawai is not ready yet, you guys seriously need a back-up center.

st3voness
07-26-2009, 01:27 AM
Drew Gooden: 'Dallas, Here I Come!'
Veteran Big Man Has Accepted Mavs' FA Offer
By Mike Fisher -- DB.com

Drew Gooden’s late-night Tweet is accurate. The Mavs have taken another – hopefully affordable – free-agent stab at a big man.

“Dallas here I come!’’ wrote the 6-10, 250-pound free agent late Saturday night, ending a decision process that apparently also involved Charlotte and Cleveland.

Countered Mavs owner Mark Cuban: "Welcome, Drew!''

Gooden, 27, finished last season with San Antonio. After he was bought out in Sacramento, both the Spurs and Lakers bid on him for their 2009 stretch run. He had leg and abdominal injuries that limited him for much of last season.

Gooden was the fourth overall pick of the 2002 draft after a standout career at the University of Kansas. The Mavs will be the seventh team for which he has played in seven NBA seasons. He’d been a $7-million-a-year playeras of last season. In our speculative rankings of potential Mavs signees, we projected that he might be worth something in the $2-mil range.

At this time, it’s not known what the apparent acquisition of Gooden – a consolation prize for Dallas after missing out on RFA Marcin Gortat – will mean to Mavs incumbent bigs Ryan Hollins and James Singleton, neither of whom are signed. Gooden projects as a candidate to get minutes at center and at the 4, replacing the departed Brandon Bass.

For his career, Gooden averages 12 points and eight rebounds. He’s been a double-figure scorer in each of his NBA seasons. In his four seasons in Cleveland, he was part of an NBA Finals team, was a full-time starter who played about 30 minutes per game, and in one season averaged 14.4 points and 9.2 rebounds per game.

DB.com analyst David Lord is not a fan. But as we wrote earlier this week ...

He’s active on both ends. He can rebound and he kinda needs to be guarded on the other end. He seems like kind of a bizarre cat, but if you want a veteran at a bargain price ($2 mil?), here’s a very active solution. I hate to admit this – I like ol’ Damp – but I can see Drew Gooden getting plenty of burn at center in some games, against some foes.

I stand by that, but let me add: Gooden has a body that looks like he should be a banger, but he actually sometimes plays as if disinterested. I think the fact that he needs to be guarded when he's got the ball within 12 feet of the basket can give the Mavs another offensive dimension at center. He's a well-liked guy, so he should fit in that way. And as long as he's not "the final piece'' -- and he's not -- he figures as a rather logical replacement for Bass, hopeful at a fraction of the cost.

Views on Gooden seem to depend largely on whether the viewer is a half-full or half-empty guy: If he's not quite what you were looking for, you can cite the fact that a smart organization like SA decided to not pay to bring him back. If you see him as a still-young established pro who at 10/8 does some things statistically that are actually quite valuable, you can cite the fact that a smart organization like SA decided to bring him in.

Remember, this isn't a matter of "Gooden-vs.-Gortat.'' This isn't a matter of "Gooden-vs.-Wilt.''

This is the Mavs deciding to sign Drew Gooden instead of pursuing Theo Ratliff or Rasho Nesterovic.

An important thing to gauge as we go along: How much does the apparent acquisition of Drew Gooden eat up available assets? My assumption is, "not much.'' In which case -- given that the other choices along these lines included the likes of Ratliff and Rasho (both of whom also got jobs this weekend) -- only if you are anxious for every Mavs pickup to be a home run does this this seems like less than a viable Plan B move.

An ESPN article says it's a 1-year, 4.5M deal with incentives that will most likely bring it to about 5M by the end of the season.

HouRealCoach
07-26-2009, 01:29 AM
I thought I was the only one that thought that Dallas would have a perfect chance with Kaman

Trouble87
07-26-2009, 01:56 AM
nice addition for them if it goes through... Dallas might be contenders next year

Young2Kinsler
07-26-2009, 02:05 AM
1 year, meh that kinda sucks, but a tradable contract if it doesn't work out. I still want Kaman, but don't know if they would just take salary for him.

zambo4president
07-26-2009, 02:29 AM
He`ll get hurt within the first 2 weeks of the season. He isnt too bad when hes playing though.

djeller1139
07-26-2009, 02:29 AM
:sigh: Of course the Warriors are too big of pansies to make a helpful move like signing a big, rebounding big man to backup Anthony Randolph...

dee279
07-26-2009, 02:55 AM

Having too much scoring looks like a good thing to me.

123heyho
07-26-2009, 03:10 AM
:mad: I was hoping the Warriors could pick him up, yet another failure by Riley and the FO this offseason.

cowboyz180
07-26-2009, 10:01 AM
good signing, but i think they paid a little too much

PennyMy#1
07-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Dallas getting Kaman ... that would be very interesting. Damps is their main problem now, imo.

JJ_JKidd
07-26-2009, 11:34 AM
I dont wanna sound like im not contented w/ the Mavs offseason moves so far but, i dint even see Gooden play last season. I know hes w/ the Spurs but the only good thing I think that this signing does is that the Mavs replace Bass w/ a better player. There goes the bench. Still no "impact center" and SG though.

Dampier's expiring anyone??? For an athletic BIG?

slaker619
07-26-2009, 11:40 AM
Great Pick-up For Dallas

Young2Kinsler
07-26-2009, 12:23 PM
I dont wanna sound like im not contented w/ the Mavs offseason moves so far but, i dint even see Gooden play last season. I know hes w/ the Spurs but the only good thing I think that this signing does is that the Mavs replace Bass w/ a better player. There goes the bench. Still no "impact center" and SG though.

Dampier's expiring anyone??? For an athletic BIG?

Damps contract is much more valuable than anything left on the market. They are keeping the Dust Chip to make a big splash next offseason, smart move.

skizzlebizzle5
07-26-2009, 12:33 PM
nice the mavs gotta notha big man who knows how to score, but can play no defense to save his life. And you mavs wonder y you never win.......DEFENSE

Joshtd1
07-26-2009, 01:02 PM
Solid pick up. Wouldnt have minded him back.. but from what I saw with the Spurs, he can score decently...but he has a terrible basketball IQ, and his defense is pretty terible.

Kakaroach
07-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Good signing by the Mavs. They missed out on Gortat so why not go after Gooden who is a very good back-up to play the PF behind Dirk.

Illuminati999
07-26-2009, 01:22 PM
nice the mavs gotta notha big man who knows how to score, but can play no defense to save his life. And you mavs wonder y you never win.......DEFENSE

Coming from the guy with a man crush on Andres Nocioni? You would have had more credibility. =p

MajorFloridaFan
07-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Look like a good addition to the bench but it still doesnt put them up there with the stacked teams

yankeefan54
07-26-2009, 02:10 PM
breaking news who cares

Nexus
07-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Great Pick-up For Dallas

Meh...I don't see Gooden as a guy on a championship team. He's more of a stat padder than anything; doesn't play much defense. On top of that, he fit better in SA beside a guy like Dunc. Although he might work as good trade bait to get what they've needed for years: a younger, better version of Dampier and Dampier to come off the bench.

Buckner 4, Gooden 4.5, Williams 2.4 or Hump 2.9 (all expirings) for Chandler 12? Kaman works too. If you call it Williams, you've got...

Kidd/Barea
Howard/Terry
Marion/Ross
Nowitzki/Hump
Chandler/Dampier

Defense, offense, rebounding all among the best in the league.

Missing56&33
07-26-2009, 03:55 PM

I'd much rather prefer Hakim Warrick, but Drew Gooden is a solid addition to our bench. This doesn't put us over the top, but is a cheap solution to losing Bass. We still need a scoring C and possibly a true SG.

Kidd / Barea / Beaubois
Howard / Terry / Carroll
Marion / Ross / Williams
Dampier / Jawai / ?

what you said makes no sense at all. if you prefer HW over Gooden , how in the hell is it a solid addition?.....a cheap solution to losing Bass? :confused: Dallas needs to man up thats the main problem...they're to soft in the middle and letting Bass walk didn't help at all. Do they realize they have the Lakers...spurs...nuggets...and rockets out west. Need to be more aggressive. Could have had Andre Miller and should have traded for Samuel Dalembert, the window is closing on Dirk.

Catfish1314
07-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Good pick-up if it happens. He's a very underrated rebounder and has a solid midrange jumpshot. Mostly a finesse player and he plays kinda laid back a lot until the 4th quarter, but can play C and PF and since he's signed this late Dallas probably got him for a bargain.

JordansBulls
07-26-2009, 04:48 PM

Kidd / Barea / Beaubois
Howard / Terry / Carroll
Marion / Ross / Williams
Dampier / Jawai / ?

I'd bring him off the bench for Dampier.

OC Knights #11
07-26-2009, 05:38 PM
awesome pickup. The Mavs keep getting better.

yankeefan54
07-26-2009, 07:47 PM
breaking news again who gives a ****

Spurred1
07-26-2009, 08:26 PM
^Apparently you do, since you posted the same thing twice.

OA SLAY
07-26-2009, 08:47 PM

Kidd/Barea
Howard/Terry
Marion/Ross
Dirk/Gooden
Kaman/Dampier

Nice Avatar another dedicated Mavs Fan

BlondeBomber41
07-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Nice Avatar another dedicated Mavs Fan

Its for a mock game in which I am the Jazz GM. If you could read those words next to the avatar it would be lovely.

KB---24
07-26-2009, 10:16 PM
Not bad at all, but the mavs are getting old and injuries might keep them down in the playoffs but still a good bench upgrade

skizzlebizzle5
07-27-2009, 01:24 AM
Coming from the guy with a man crush on Andres Nocioni? You would have had more credibility. =p

nocioni's plays harder than 90 percent of the nba, im a bulls fan we had him here in chicago. Hed go 15 and 9 anfd then 6 and 7 for the next 5 games, he cant play any d...idk y, nocioni's got more balls than him, god damn the kings dont diserve him...come back to chicago andres

skizzlebizzle5
07-27-2009, 01:28 AM
marc cuban needs to get some defense on his team, ur best shot blocker is 90 and ur second best is 6'7"...not good, sorry i dont care how many points you score ur not gonna win a championship

BlondeBomber41
07-27-2009, 01:33 AM
The Mavs were actually a very good defensive team last year. Their problem was offense, they only had Dirk, Terry and Howard scoring and Howard missed alot of time with injury.

The problem wasnt defense, it was scoring. Now they have done some things to fix that, while adding a world class defender and rebounder in Marion.

skizzlebizzle5
07-27-2009, 01:42 AM
hahahaha good defensive team

#1Mavericksfan
07-27-2009, 01:51 AM
hahahaha good defensive team

Stop hating because it's getting old as hell now

BlondeBomber41
07-27-2009, 01:57 AM
Who cares what he says, just some 13 year old kid Im sure who really has no grasp on how the NBA works.

S-Dot
07-27-2009, 07:05 AM
Great signing for the Mavs...they are quietly having one of the best offseasons as far as signings.

JayW_1023
07-27-2009, 07:14 AM
Great signing for the Mavs...I'm not worried about Gooden leaving SA because we didn't really need him. Dice fits us better because he is a better jump shooter than Gooden and therefor complement Timmy better in the post.

Gooden gives the Mavericks a guy who will help on the boards. He is a bit of a looney though...one game he will be a double double...another game he can look clueless. But he is still better than Dampier at this point in his career. He will give adequate depth off the bench.

skizzlebizzle5
07-27-2009, 12:31 PM
funny 13, hahahaha actually 18. Funny how you guys think gooden is soo great, ahhhh. ull see. Lets go bulls lets go bulls

BlondeBomber41
07-27-2009, 12:38 PM
You type and handle yourself like a 13 year old. Might as well be 13.