PDA

View Full Version : Has Lebron James become the NBA Villain?

TheHoopsProphet
07-24-2009, 04:23 PM
Young, bright-eyed, gregarious, talented, sexy, approachable, and above all, marketable. That was the story of the high school baby-faced superstud, Lebron James. The only player he was compared to more than Michael Jordan was probably Magic Johnson. In the NBA, he was quickly accepted by the fans. He had personality and immediate impact on the court. Many people were done with Kobe "sourgrape" Bryant as the NBA's golden boy. Lebron was the new golden boy.

But over the past year or so, Lebron has quickly fallen out of favor (with the exception of Staurt Scott, who gets orgasms whenever saying his name, and has a painted picture of Lebron in his bedroom in which he painted himself). Lebron, who was considered a great teammate to have on your team, became cocky. He started talking in third-person, comparing himself to Jay-Z, even substituting the name Cleveland Cavaliers to "Lebron James team" during the 2008 NBA playoffs. He started becoming more interested in discussing his contract, and how he wanted to become the first billionaire athlete (a goal only rivaled by K.C. pitcher Sidney Ponson). He seemed more concerned with marketability and the business side of his career, then the actual career itself.

And this summer took a bigger dent to his image then when Zack Galifinakis decided to act in G-Force (a movie about fighting hamsters that your grandmothers will be watching in a 8-people-filled theatre at 3 pm in the afternoon). Its understandable, that when you do a playoff run in which was so great that John Hollinger printed out a stat sheet of it to dry hump underneath his pillow before he goes to bed, and your team still loses, you would be bitter. Handshakes are overrated, and should not be a requirement in the world of competition. But he didn't even bother to address the media. Mark Stein was probably waiting eagerly with his mic, wanted to talk to Lebron, but Lebron left him to dry, I can only imagine poor ol' Steiny crying being comforted by Ric Bucher telling him "its okay tiny, Lebron's in a better place now". And then, to confiscate tapes of a sub par dunk, it only shows his poor showmanship after the Orlando crucifixion was no fluke. Lebron James is a banana! He was tasty and fresh, but as quickly as he was displayed for everyone to devour, he quickly got brown spots on his image.

Do you think Lebron James has lost his edge? Is he still well loved by NBA fans, or has he walked himself into becoming the villan of the NBA? Perhaps the only bigger villan I can think of right now is Kevin Garnett (though Steve Blake is making a strong case himself with his shaved head and im-going-to-cut-off-your-balls-and-eat-them-for-supper look he wears during games). Or is Lebron still a Magic Johnson-esque personality who's in a rough patch?

Draco
07-24-2009, 04:25 PM
Uhh.. no. And this last season wasn't a rough patch.. 60+ win reg season and a disappointing but not entirely surprising post season. What's the big deal?

ko8e24
07-24-2009, 04:27 PM
Ridiculous, close this thread!

And by the way....BANANA, really????

itsripcity32
07-24-2009, 04:37 PM
summarize please

S-Dot
07-24-2009, 04:40 PM
Is this a thread or a diary post...to answer your question, LeBron has not lost his edge; he's 24 and very mature for all of the attention he has been given since a young age in high-school.

QuaLiThADoN
well said.... only bad comments in here should come from lebron fans

Chronz
Yes, this will forever be known as the summer LeBron turned heel

JayW_1023
07-24-2009, 04:43 PM
I believe things will be blown completely out of proportion. Whatever gave Lebron this 'villain' status, it'll blow over.

Naptownz_Finest
07-24-2009, 04:44 PM
wow, lebron james the villain? give me a break....he has a little growing up to do....but other than that....who can't appreciate what kind of NBA player he is now...and possibly what he will accomplish in his hopefully long career.

TheHoopsProphet
07-24-2009, 04:46 PM
There is no question he will be great, what I'm asking is, will he be loved?

ko8e24
07-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Is this a thread or a diary post...to answer your question, LeBron has not lost his edge; he's 24 and very mature for all of the attention he has been given since a young age in high-school.

Just stop! Can you honestly say that with all the crap we've seen the last couple of yrs, especially this last yr, ur saying this?

Draco
07-24-2009, 04:49 PM
There is no question he will be great, what I'm asking is, will he be loved?

He's the face of the NBA without having won a title.. I'd think he already is loved.

Lakersfan2483
07-24-2009, 04:50 PM
I wouldn't call him the NBA's villian, but he's definitely fallen from grace this summer.

S-Dot
07-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Just stop! Can you honestly say that with all the crap we've seen the last couple of yrs, especially this last yr, ur saying this?

To answer the thread question of whether he will be loved; the answer is the same as any other players...Yes, by his fans. And to the person above, he is in the media all the time; everything he has done since high school he has been put on Sportscenter. He has made mistakes, but what athlete hasn't. With the pressure and expectations that has been put on this dude, he has accomplished alot and has done so in a great manner. He may be a little confident in himself, but that's what it takes to be great.

cubulls
07-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Villain? No...Crybaby *******? Yes.

Draco
07-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Nike's hidden dunk tape and not shaking hands with the Magic players are not real controversies.. and nothing that diminishes LBJ in my opinion.

Naptownz_Finest
07-24-2009, 04:54 PM
He's the face of the NBA without having won a title.. I'd think he already is loved.

You hit it on the nail...this argument has no grounds since he is the face of the NBA.

NYtilIdie
07-24-2009, 04:57 PM
No he's still loved by fans by time and he had 60+ win season how is that a rough patch? You say he's a poor sport, but then you say handshaking is overrated yeah that makes alot of sense. When the Final's roll by this season we won't even be talking about the video tape incident hell most of us will probably have forgotten about it by then.

So no he's not the villain of the NBA Marbury still holds that title.

JayW_1023
07-24-2009, 04:59 PM
LeBron has been on a microscope ever since became a pro, and people have overanalyzed every decision he has ever made since. It was such an enormous pressure for him to not only live up to his hype, but to exceed his hype. People seem to forget he is still just 24 years old and human. People expect him to be a model citizen off the court and a future hall of famer on the court. It's no wonder he struggled with fame, and let's it get to his head now and then. He may be physically the most gifted player in the NBA, but people forget he has accomplished way more than most 24-year olds in the league. People should give the guy a break...because sooner or later he was going to crack and show he still has some maturing left to do. It really easy to bring him down when you don't know what it's like to face the kind of scrutiny LeBron has been under. People always expect more out of him, and for him to always say the right things and meet even higher expectations every season. Sometimes it is too much to ask for a 24-year old prodigal athlete in LeBrons position.

END rant.

BADizzleBoY
07-24-2009, 05:02 PM

Show me the last 21 year old who led his team to the finals? Averaging 30 ppg in the best basketball league in the world? Ohh, he isn't mature...

S-Dot
07-24-2009, 05:03 PM
LeBron has been on a microscope ever since became a pro, and people have overanalyzed every decision he has ever made since. It was such an enormous pressure for him to not only live up to his hype, but to exceed his hype. People seem to forget he is still just 24 years old and human. People expect him to be a model citizen off the court and a future hall of famer on the court. It's no wonder he struggled with fame, and let's it get to his head now and then. He may be physically the most gifted player in the NBA, but people forget he has accomplished way more than most 24-year olds in the league. People should give the guy a break...because sooner or later he was going to crack and show he still has some maturing left to do. It really easy to bring him down when you don't know what it's like to face the kind of scrutiny LeBron has been under. People always expect more out of him, and for him to always say the right things and meet even higher expectations every season. Sometimes it is too much to ask for a 24-year old prodigal athlete in LeBrons position.

END rant.

:clap::clap:

ink
07-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Nike's hidden dunk tape and not shaking hands with the Magic players are not real controversies.. and nothing that diminishes LBJ in my opinion.

I agree.

END rant.

Well said.

TheHoopsProphet
07-24-2009, 05:07 PM

END rant.

couldn't have said it better myself. this thread blows!

S-Dot
07-24-2009, 05:09 PM
^Didn't you start the thread?

TheHoopsProphet
07-24-2009, 05:10 PM

thread-starters aren't entitled to an opinion?

ink
07-24-2009, 05:10 PM

:laugh: That's what I was going to ask!

S-Dot
07-24-2009, 05:12 PM

Well I wouldn't say my own thread blows; you just don't agree with others' posts on your thread.

kswissdaf
07-24-2009, 05:13 PM
I wouldnt say villain but overrated,way to in to him self(Jordan Crawford),choker(Finals,Magic),rewarded for doing nothing(what has he done to be considered such an amazing player 6 years in the league no finals wins). Insecure(LBJ MVP, Check my stats shirts)

BADizzleBoY
07-24-2009, 05:13 PM

I have never heard anyone make fun of their own topic. And to say it blows lol.

ink
07-24-2009, 05:16 PM
I wouldnt say villain but overrated,way to in to him self(Jordan Crawford),choker(Finals,Magic),rewarded for doing nothing(what has he done to be considered such an amazing player 6 years in the league no finals wins). Insecure(LBJ MVP, Check my stats shirts)

Ummm ... I think your completely subjective list just proves the point that he is being made into a villain by fans.

:laugh:

breedlove2drug
07-24-2009, 05:17 PM

mature? are you on crack?

He didn't speak to the media or shake hands with the other players when he lost to the magic during eastern conference finals, being a poor sport.

He is afraid of getting the image of being dunked on, so nike had to confiscate the videos.

I have respect for him for his skills as a player, but he isn't mature dude. He is a sore loser

S-Dot
07-24-2009, 05:18 PM
Ummm ... I think your completely subjective list just proves the point that he is being made into a villain by fans.

:laugh:

Exactly, people look at the cup half-empty way too much when it comes to him. They look at his few faults more than his numerous accomplishments.

S-Dot
07-24-2009, 05:22 PM
mature? are you on crack?

He didn't speak to the media or shake hands with the other players when he lost to the magic during eastern conference finals, being a poor sport.

He is afraid of getting the image of being dunked on, so nike had to confiscate the videos.

I have respect for him for his skills as a player, but he isn't mature dude. He is a sore loser

Crack is a terrible drug so no...not on that. No one knows what went on with the Nike situation behind closed doors so let's not assume stuff besides the dunk wasn't extravagant. And he's lost numerous times; this is the only ONE time he has made a mistake and we call him a poor sport. He hates losing, and he acted off instinct. Give this dude a break.

MaHaRaJaH
07-24-2009, 05:29 PM
What's it to Lebron if someone dunked on him? a) it wasn't even much of a dunk b) if the kid didn't give a **** why would he? c) Nike did it- not he.

ink
07-24-2009, 05:32 PM
Another one bites the dust.

Guys, please stop posting threads that start arguments. It doesn't matter if it's about Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Shaq, Carter, Iverson, or anyone else. If people start bashing the thread gets closed.