PDA

View Full Version : Lastings Milledge Article

jacquewho?
07-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Got this from the IndyStar, it's a good read, i'll just post a slight snippet of it.

Lastings Milledge looks like he will be back in the majors soon. When he gets there, he won't be the same.

Milledge, who recently joined the Indianapolis Indians after being traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates organization, was at one time one of the hottest young prospects in baseball. Now with his third organization in three years, the outfielder is back in the minors, and even though he's playing well, the cruise up the ladder for a hot prospect is over.

"For the first time in my career, I have to deserve to be somewhere," said Milledge, who led the Washington Nationals in RBIs last summer with 61. "Everything was kind of given to me in the beginning of my career.

"I was picked in the first round and I played well but never had to earn my spot. Here, I have to earn everything I get. If I have the opportunity to get called up and play at PNC Park, for the first time in my career I will have earned my spot."

When he is playing every day at PNC in Pittsburgh, he's likely to stick because the talent hasn't been in question. He hit .529 this past week and was named the International League Batter of the Week.

Full Article (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2009907220318)

Very good read, I highly suggest it to any Pirate fan out there.

OuTrAgE
07-23-2009, 11:17 PM
I'm excited to see what he can do when he gets up here.

With the way the lineups been hitting (including tonight against Haren), the addition of Milledge could be awesome. This makes me very excited, for the first time in a while, for next season. Add Tabata/Hernandez and Alverez and maybe a SP (Lincoln?) and we could actually contend next year (wishful thinking?).

jacquewho?
07-25-2009, 01:12 AM
I see improvement, but I'm not sure if I see contention just yet.

NYM-RMCF-DM
07-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Good for Lastings he was supposed to be the Mets best prospect a few years back but issues i'm sure distracted him. Great future though. Teams like the Royals & Pirates are improving every year. I don't doubt we'll see them in contention for years to come.

Spilopleura
07-27-2009, 02:33 AM
"The primary area of concern now is his defense."
That's kind of an odd statement considering all of the talk about his character flaws. But I guess the article is trying to say he's past all of that.

I'll never forget that home run mentioned in the article. To see a player high-fiving the fans on the way to the outfield was something I never expected to see, and don't expect to ever see again.

I sure hope he fulfills his potential though. And hopefully he does it right around the same time that all of our other prospects do!