PDA

View Full Version : Gasol: C or PF?

theBraveRocket
07-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Simple question. Juding by Gasol's game, would you say that he is a Center or a Power Forward?

B.JenningsMVP
07-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Skills of a gaurd in a big man's body.. but his natural position is a PF IMO

what54!?
07-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Pf

Hawkeye15
07-23-2009, 01:37 PM
when Bynum is on the floor, he is a PF. When Bynum isn't he is a C. Easy enough? I don't get some of the posters infatuation with a guy is a natural "this". If a dude is playing SG, he is a SG.

DCB/LAL
07-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Can you be both?? he's got the size for a C and is a PF so my answer is both but if i had to choose where id play him it'd be at PF

Ace33Bone
07-23-2009, 01:39 PM
I would say he is both but if I HAD to stick a label on him I would say PF and he is one of the best no matter what position u put him at in the game

Hawkeye15
07-23-2009, 01:39 PM
It should just break down into
Big man
Wing
Lead Guard

Iron24th
07-23-2009, 01:41 PM
PF, another question?

Zefflin
07-23-2009, 01:48 PM
A PF that can play C. Like many nba players...

mavwar53
07-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Pf

MajorFloridaFan
07-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Pf

mikantsass
07-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Simple question. Juding by Gasol's game, would you say that he is a Center or a Power Forward?

Small Forward

Hellcrooner
07-23-2009, 02:13 PM
marc gasok center pau gasol pf adria gasol sf (for the moment 15 years old 6,7)

:D

Hellcrooner
07-23-2009, 02:16 PM
in reality does it matter? he is just alongisde Duncan lebron and few others one of the playe4rs in the leauges that can play two positions and be top 10 at least at the two positions probably top 5 in the two positions

Chronz
07-23-2009, 02:18 PM
someone name to me another softie that can alternate so effectively between PF/C, if Pau's soft, then Bosh, Amare, Antawn, Dirk, just about every All-Star pf is soft.

kbaxter34
07-23-2009, 02:22 PM
when Bynum is on the floor, he is a PF. When Bynum isn't he is a C. Easy enough? I don't get some of the posters infatuation with a guy is a natural "this". If a dude is playing SG, he is a SG.

What he said.

feelie
07-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Well, certainly he plays where he is asked to (C or PF). The funny thing is that he always said to prefer playing as PF still he was asked very often to play Center (this happend in Memphis).

JJ81
07-23-2009, 02:52 PM
He is a PF, fact.

Wilson
07-23-2009, 02:57 PM
It should just break down into
Big man
Wing
Lead Guard

I agree with this to an extent, but I think there are more differences between big men. A center, traditionally, should play with his back to the basket, whilst a power foward should be able to face up from 10-15 feet, and hit a jump shot within that range.

Pau, however, can do both exceptionally, so you can't really say he is definately one or the other. There are some other guys like that in the league, who are just basketball players rather than one position, but traditionally there is a difference between center and power forward.

Sports Illustrator
07-23-2009, 03:03 PM
He is a natural PF and plays better when he is a PF. When he has to play Center though, he isn't a bad Center at all. The Lakers can always rely on him playing at the Center position whenever Andrew Bynum is not able to play. Pau Gasol is very flexible in that regard. That is part of the many reasons that makes him the great player he is today.

kevvvo247
07-23-2009, 03:15 PM
what's duncan?

Wilson
07-23-2009, 03:23 PM
what's duncan?

He's another guy that can easily be considered both, as he plays excellent whether his back is to the basket, or if he's facing up in the mid-range game.

His mid-range bank shot is a thing of beauty though, so I like to call him a PF.

Hellcrooner
07-23-2009, 03:26 PM
he evn used to play SF in fiba basketball and MAKE three pointers with a good %

Hawkeye15
07-23-2009, 03:30 PM
I agree with this to an extent, but I think there are more differences between big men. A center, traditionally, should play with his back to the basket, whilst a power foward should be able to face up from 10-15 feet, and hit a jump shot within that range.

Pau, however, can do both exceptionally, so you can't really say he is definately one or the other. There are some other guys like that in the league, who are just basketball players rather than one position, but traditionally there is a difference between center and power forward.

than by you're rationale, Hakeem was a PF.
All I mean is, traditional centers are basically gone. The new league is a hybrid of players who play multiple positions. Post, wings, ballhandlers. Bout it

Chronz
07-23-2009, 03:30 PM

Yea there are differences just like there are differences in the prototypical SG and SF, but the major differences stem from either being a Point, a Swing, or a big. I dont like to get caught up in what traditional players are suppose to do, especially in this day and age where centers can shoot 3's, and SF can run offenses. Its just easier to rank players by their tier groups. Does Pau really play any differently when hes a 4 or a 5?

There are true PF's and very few true Centers remaining, several players from today are centers and would be PF's in the past, or PF's that would be Centers, I just dont see the difference anymore. If Boozer and Pau can be compared even though ones a true PF and the other is a hybrid, it shouldnt really matter whether they are a 4 or 5, theyre both bigmen. Of course there are tweeners that fall in between the 3/4 or 1/2 but thats another class entirely I suppose.

Its just another way of categorizing players, and to me it makes the most sense, rather than trying to figure out whether a player is a PF/C or somewhere in between.

slaker619
07-23-2009, 03:40 PM
pf but he can play the c

DitchDat
07-23-2009, 03:43 PM
PF

and Dirk Nowitzki is a SF IMO.