PDA

View Full Version : LATimes: Lakers, Odom Resume Talks

GoatMilk
07-23-2009, 01:59 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-lamar-odom23-2009jul23,0,5117681.story

Is the table being set again?

A week after the Lakers pulled a pair of contract offers to Lamar Odom off the table, the sides resumed talks Wednesday.

The discussions were labeled productive, but there was nothing to report "at the moment," according to a source familiar with negotiations who was not authorized to comment publicly.

It didn't look great last week for Odom's return to the Lakers after the franchise yanked its offers of three years and $30 million or four years and $36 million, with the fourth year only partially guaranteed.

But the sides began communicating in a more positive light Wednesday. Financial details were not immediately available, though the Lakers were not expected to have improved their initial offers. If anything, the offers might have dropped slightly.

Odom, who will be 30 in November, was a key part of the Lakers' championship run, and his teammates, including Kobe Bryant and Derek Fisher, have unilaterally expressed a desire for his return.

On the other hand, the Lakers are conscious about veering too far into luxury-tax territory. They have already allocated $83.8 million to 12 players next season, which would mean an additional luxury-tax penalty of $13.9 million.

Last season, the Lakers' payroll was $78.2 million and they paid an additional $7.2 million in luxury taxes.

If the Lakers don't get Odom, their options are slim other than a trade. They can sign a veteran forward for about $1 million. They also must decide by Aug. 1 whether to bring back seldom-used guard Sun Yue for $736,000 next season. The Lakers have also considered forward Shelden Williams.

The Lakers have used both spending tools given to teams that are over the salary cap -- the "mid-level exception" of $5.8 million next season was spent on Ron Artest and the "bi-annual exception" of $2 million next season was given to reserve guard Shannon Brown, who re-signed with the team for two years and $4.2 million.

Odom was on the Lakers' books for $14.1 million last season, but will obviously have to take a pay cut. The Miami Heat has expressed interest in him, though the cap-strapped team could offer only a mid-level deal worth $34 million.

The Lakers took their offers to Odom off the table last week after learning he was engaging in discussions with the Heat.

The Lakers will wait until the Odom situation is resolved before signing Bryant to a contract extension.

Bryant will get $23 million next season and is expected to receive an extension on top of it that would pay him $134 million to $138 million over the next five seasons, depending on salary-cap figures to be determined in July 2011. Bryant will be 31 next month.
Finally, a REAL source!

Bones10564
07-23-2009, 02:19 AM
Both sides are starting to act like children & need to get this deal DONE!!

AllTheWay
07-23-2009, 02:33 AM
Suck balls Miami ;p

Afridi786
07-23-2009, 02:38 AM
So that pulling the offer off the table was just to kill some time? Funny that they resumed talks and offered him more money.

AllTheWay
07-23-2009, 02:42 AM
Article says it could be for less money.

BoltLakerPadre
07-23-2009, 02:49 AM
Suck balls Miami ;p

:clap:

Big Zo
07-23-2009, 03:17 AM
Suck balls Miami ;p

Stop sucking Kobe's balls, Laker fan boys!

Raph12
07-23-2009, 03:24 AM
BREAKING NEWS ON THE ODOM FRONT: The original source of the "Lamar Odom To Resign With Lakers 4 years/40 Million" rumor was sports expert Robert Littal from BSO:

Sources close to Lamar Odom have told BSO that Odom will resign with the Lakers.

Odom will sign a 4 year 40 million dollar contract to stay with the champs.

The change of heart came after Lamar reached out to Dr. Jerry Buss. The two of them spoke yesterday where they were able to reach an agreement.

Remember where you heard it first.

As more details come in, we will update you.

*UPDATE*

Once again sources close to Lamar Odom are insisting a deal is done and is just waiting for Dr. Buss to sign off on it.

There has been reports there is no deal on the table and there are no neogiations ongoing.

But there was in fact a 3 year deal worth 30 million that was turned down Odom recently.

The only hold up is will Dr. Buss sign off on 4 year deal or will Odom accept 3 year deal.

We will have to wait and see how it all shakes out, but I would be shocked if Lamar Odom is does not resign with the Lakers.

*Update*

The LA Times now reports that talks have been ongoing since yesterday. Imagine that:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lakers-lamar-odom23-2009jul23,0,5117681.story

http://blacksportsonline.com/index/2009/07/bso-exclusive-lamar-odom-to-re.html

now this article was written two days ago July 21st 2009 and a few updates later Littal refers to the LA Times article that GoatMilk posted, so not only is the "Lamar Odom To Resign With Lakers 4 years/40 Million" rumor false but the source may not be very reliable. Please people stop making threads about everything and anything you hear online, just do a bit of research first to see if it's true or false and you may not look as dumb later

AllTheWay
07-23-2009, 03:25 AM

Good one my friend.

To the new article posted.

Suck balls again Miami(the city is what I be referring to, so don't be getting your panties in a bunch).

Jack Daniels
07-23-2009, 03:35 AM

Why don't you worry about stopping the sucking of D wade's balls. Well actually I guess you don't have to worry about it cuz you'll have to stop when he ditches you guys after this season :eyebrow:

Chronz
07-23-2009, 03:40 AM
Wow thats alot of money for Kobe, how old will he be in the final 2 years, 36?

Iron24th
07-23-2009, 04:31 AM
It smell good for L.O and L.A,take that miami!

LakersSaintsLSU
07-23-2009, 04:56 AM
sorry Jr Lakers

MiamiHeat
07-23-2009, 08:56 AM
why are this Lakers fan getting excited?
they pulled the initial offer and now they might be offering him less?

Lakers will overpaid him and we will read Lakers fans complain about him all the time

_Supreme_
07-23-2009, 09:14 AM
why are these Lakers fan getting excited?they pulled the initial offer and now they might be offering him less?

Lakers will overpaid him and we will read Lakers fans complain about him all the time

Because most Laker fans @ PSD are 12 year old bandwagon fans who don't have actual important things in life to worry about.

And Jerry Buss better have a good deal ready for Odom this time, because otherwise he is gone for sure. If they offer him less money that would be incredibly stupid.

In the end the Lakers' front office is the big loser in all of this. They either pay more for him than they wanted and/or give him more years than they wanted, or he leaves.

Gibby23
07-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Because most Laker fans @ PSD are 12 year old bandwagon fans who don't have actual important things in life to worry about.

And Jerry Buss better have a good deal ready for Odom this time, because otherwise he is gone for sure. If they offer him less money that would be incredibly stupid.
In the end the Lakers' front office is the big loser in all of this. They either pay more for him than they wanted and/or give him more years than they wanted, or he leaves.

Sure, He's not going to Miami. The Heat had the MLE offer out there for like 10 days now and all LO did was go to Miami, call the Lakers owner, and now is back in talks with the Lakers. Looks like he never even wanted to go to Miami.

RaiderLakersA's
07-23-2009, 11:41 AM
I hate to say this, but I hope the Lakers management stick to their guns. After all, Odom was earning a premium salary on his last contract, despite the fact that he clearly didn't live up to it consistently. Besides, I don't see the point in giving him a 5 year contract, since Kobe is already 31 and we'll need to rebuild the franchise around another dominant player in 3 years. As a Laker fan, I don't want us mired in contracts that prevent us from getting key acquisitions down the road.

Jack Daniels
07-23-2009, 12:29 PM

Wow, the guy with 11,000 posts+ talking about fans who don't have actual important things in life to worry about??? Yeah, you really got your priorities straight:eyebrow:

Iron24th
07-23-2009, 12:32 PM
L.O wants money and wants to win,but first wants to stay a Laker,and guess what,L.A is the only place where he can have all.

It's just a matter of time before he re-signs.

Iron24th
07-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Wow, the guy with 11,000 posts+ talking about fans who don't have actual important things in life to worry about??? Yeah, you really got your priorities straight:eyebrow:

Wow I can't believe a Lakers fan said BS like that (on your sig) I hope he's no longer a Lakers fan.

J_M_B
07-23-2009, 12:54 PM
Not shocked at all that they resumed talks. He probably was just using Miami as leverage to get a better deal from the Lakers. Lamar signing with Miami is still a long shot in my mind. Who wants to leave the best team in the NBA just coming off a championship to a team that's a #4 seed in the east(at best)? But I'm from Miami, so come to Miami Lamar :pray:!

king4day
07-23-2009, 01:32 PM
If LA gives Odom 4 years at 40 mil, then he won the money war and Mitch budged. Good for LO.

I don't think anyone coulda really taken Miami's offer seriously.

Ace33Bone
07-23-2009, 01:37 PM
How did this turn into a ball sucking thread?... I thought this was about Odom... Oh now i see why the thread took a turn... lmao

Jack Daniels
07-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Wow I can't believe a Lakers fan said BS like that (on your sig) I hope he's no longer a Lakers fan.

Yeah by the sound of it I don't think he every really was one.

Jonathan2323
07-23-2009, 02:33 PM
if LA gets Odom, i will say congrats to the LA fans. Not suck balls LA, PSD is turning into Little immature kids.

ARMIN12NBA
07-23-2009, 04:10 PM

Not really. The Lakers have all the leverage. Even if they lessen their 10 million a year offer to 8 million, that is STILL Lamar Odom's best offer. Heck, even if they lessen the deal to 7 million, it is Lamar Odom's best offer.

I know you hate the Lakers, but look at things objectively using facts next time. The facts paint a pretty clear picture in this situation...

plpfctn
07-23-2009, 04:11 PM

stop sucking chris quinn's tiny little balls

MiamiHeat
07-23-2009, 04:12 PM
stop sucking chris quinn's tiny little balls

you should know right?
:eyebrow:

Kevj77
07-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Not shocked at all that they resumed talks. He probably was just using Miami as leverage to get a better deal from the Lakers. Lamar signing with Miami is still a long shot in my mind. Who wants to leave the best team in the NBA just coming off a championship to a team that's a #4 seed in the east(at best)? But I'm from Miami, so come to Miami Lamar :pray:!That is what I felt too. He is using Miami as leverage on the Lakers. Without another offer from somewhere LO had no leverage on the Lakers. The Lakers weren't going to bid against themselves.

It reminded me of the negotiations between Manny and LA. Manny wanted something the Dodgers weren't willing to do, but nobody else stepped up to make an offer. The Dodgers stuck to their guns and wouldn't get into a bidding war with themselves. They got Manny for what they wanted. LO needed Miami's offer to change LAs position, but if they won't he will probably go to Miami. Its obvious LA is his first choice.

Big Zo
07-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Why don't you worry about stopping the sucking of D wade's balls. Well actually I guess you don't have to worry about it cuz you'll have to stop when he ditches you guys after this season :eyebrow:

That's a nice picture you took of your sister when she wasn't looking, perv.

Go Dodgers!
07-23-2009, 05:59 PM
The L.A. Lakers and Lamar Odom are talking again. According to well placed sources not only did Lamar Odom reach out to Dr. Jerry Buss - the Lakers majority owner - himself, but apparently so did Laker star Kobe Bryant. Normally players stay out of each others contract discussions, but when ego and vanity got in the way of Odom's return several parties decided it was time for everyone to talk.

The Lakers offer is reportedly still unchanged, for three years at roughly $30 million. There was a four-year offer rumored to be worth $36 million, but sources say most of the fourth year was non-guaranteed and had a $3 million Laker buyout. The hold up on a deal seems to be that fourth year and that's something neither side seems to be able to agree on.

For the Lakers it is smart business to try and limit the length of Lamar's deal; no one knows what the economic structure of the NBA is going to be in three years and the Lakers' window for a championship is likely three more years. No one wants to eat a contract of an injured player and a fourth year on the deal would putOdom on the wrong side of 34 years old.

For Odom this may be his last big payday, and the appeal of Miami and Dallas' five-year offers is it guarantees a payday through 35. And while the dollars may be smaller when you factor in that $30 million for three years with the Lakers and then possibly three more years at or around the NBA minimum – Lamar's earning potential in the next five years is about equal in either scenario. What his camp is looking for is the Lakers to step up on the fourth year.

Sources near the situation have said for the better part of two weeks that both sides would reach a deal, so now that both sides are talking again a deal won't be far away.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=13414

Chronz
07-23-2009, 06:03 PM
Lakers losing Odom would be the best thing for everyone in the league. The Lakers are stacked already, how much help does Kobe need to win a chip? Lets even out the playing field and see who has the heart to win.

MJ-BULLS
07-23-2009, 06:10 PM
hope the lakers dont get odom

RaiderLakersA's
07-23-2009, 06:32 PM
... how much help does Kobe need to win a chip?

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he needed these guys the last time that happened:

Jordan Farmar

Derek Fisher

Sun Yue

Shannon Brown

Kobe Bryant

Sasha Vujacic

Trevor Ariza

Adam Morrison

Luke Walton

Lamar Odom

Pau Gasol

Josh Powell

Andrew Bynum

DJ Mbenga

I might be off by a name or two. Can someone up in the booth please confirm that? Thanks! :D:D:D

plpfctn
07-23-2009, 06:32 PM
you should know right?
:eyebrow:

it's what your mom told me. and she's got paris hilton credibility.

GoatMilk
07-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Lakers losing Odom would be the best thing for everyone in the league. The Lakers are stacked already, how much help does Kobe need to win a chip? Lets even out the playing field and see who has the heart to win.

who does boston, cleveland, orlando and san antonio have?

cmon

RaiderLakersA's
07-23-2009, 06:38 PM

cmon

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

ko8e24
07-23-2009, 06:47 PM
why are this Lakers fan getting excited?
they pulled the initial offer and now they might be offering him less?

after all the worrying, stressing, complaining, b********, moaning, and all that crap, we end with yet another parade on figueroa! :)

Ripper Gein
07-23-2009, 06:48 PM

And MORE CHAMPIONSHIPS:D

Ripper Gein
07-23-2009, 06:50 PM

HAHAHAHA before people talk they should evaluate themselves HAHAHA

ko8e24
07-23-2009, 06:52 PM
hope the lakers dont get odom

u don't get something of which you already have :D

aka, he's our unrestricted free agent

Chronz
07-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he needed these guys the last time that happened:

Jordan Farmar

Derek Fisher

Sun Yue

Shannon Brown

Kobe Bryant

Sasha Vujacic

Trevor Ariza

Adam Morrison

Luke Walton

Lamar Odom

Pau Gasol

Josh Powell

Andrew Bynum

DJ Mbenga

I might be off by a name or two. Can someone up in the booth please confirm that? Thanks! :D:D:D

To think Bynum was about 60% of what he is when healthy. Thats beyond stacked, its not even fair what the Lakers could be at full potential.

cmon
Not sure what your asking here. They have alot but its aging. Lakers have primetime players in their prime. If you rid Odom from LA and put him on Miami the overall competitiveness of the league is enhanced, thus giving Kobe more of a chance for glory. I personally dont want to see Kobe win titles in such an easy fashion. In the end if he wins a title in a more competitive league, it will only reflect strongly on him.

ko8e24
07-23-2009, 07:06 PM

And then you meet those very same laker fans 28 years later when they're 40, and they're still bleeding purple and gold. Why, because by that time, they will have experienced the rich tradition that is the glorious and legendary Los Angeles Lakers. By that time, they will have gone through 4-5 Legendary Franchise players. And yall will still look back at 2004 when Orlando got Dwight Howard, or all those Celtic bandwagon fans who woke up after a 22-yr coma as it was the last time their physiological hormones allowed them to jizz in their pants when the big 3 of Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, and Paul Pierce was assembled, or Cavs fans will look back at the last time they felt that warm fuzzy feeling after living in the depressing city called Cleveland for several years when they got Lebron James in the 2003 NBA Draft, but then will lament that he left their franchise just 7 years later.

There is one thing about us Laker fans, there is no such thing as bandwagonners. We are a constant and always will be a force to be reckoned with! We keep multiplying by the second, and we have lost souls converting to Champion-alism by the millisecond.

We have the ability to HOODALIZE anyone and make them Laker fans yo!

RaiderLakersA's
07-23-2009, 07:21 PM
To think Bynum was about 60% of what he is when healthy. Thats beyond stacked, its not even fair what the Lakers could be at full potential.

I know what you're saying, but it's rare that every team achieves max potential, let alone assume that all of the players will make it through a full season to the Finals playing at that level. To get that ring, you have to be stacked and deep. (Wow, I think I just coined a new t-shirt slogan for Laker women fans everywhere.)

GspLAL
07-23-2009, 08:42 PM

this guys pissed!

ARMIN12NBA
07-23-2009, 09:14 PM

He doesn't need much help...I think everybody severely overrated the Lakers supporting cast. Take a look at their PG depth:

Derek Fisher: He became a shell of himself. He was downright horrid in the playoffs and was really atrocious on the defensive end. He hit the biggest shot though in that Game 4. It still doesn't excuse the rest of his play.

Jordan Farmar: Nothing much else to say. He was a failure this year. Just very bad play all around. His decision making was mind boggling and his defense more so considering he comes from the tutelage of Ben Howland.

Shannon Brown: He was a spark every time he came in....which was rarely.

Lets take a look at SG depth:

Sasha Vujacic: 0 PPG on 0% shooting is his numbers for the Finals. He didn't bring much on defense.

Here is the SF depth:

Trevor Ariza: He stepped up offensively, but still got burned to all hell by Carmelo Anthony. He was a little inconsistent, but showed up in big ways.

Luke Walton: He could pass? He was an OK bench help. Other than that, Walton didn't bring much to the table.

PF depth:

Pau Gasol: Fantastic right here. All-star power forward. I think some overrate him and others underrate him. I think he became a much better player as a Laker...and a lot of that is contributed to Kobe.

Lamar Odom: Showed up against Utah...dissapeared against Houston...showed up for half the series' the rest of the way. Inconsistent, but a good force when he shows up.

C depth:

Andrew Bynum: He couldn't do much because of the injury. He wasn't himself as you later note.

Lets do a review:

PG: below average depth
SG: His backup is a joke
SF: mediocre at best
PF: very good
C: decent

Chronz, I know you love to discredit Kobe a lot as of late. It is your new shtick....But you cannot tell me that was a good supporting cast. Not to mention it would be damn near impossible to convince anyone that the line-up is "stacked."

Now, you may be talking about this upcoming year, which I would agree with the addition of Artest...But I interpreted your statement as a slight against Kobe that he needed way too much help to win. :eyebrow:

BTW--Like I said, Kobe doesn't need much help (as his teams are always filled with players who don't even fit the system correctly anyways), but it doesn't hurt to add more help.

ARMIN12NBA
07-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Not sure what your asking here. They have alot but its aging. Lakers have primetime players in their prime. If you rid Odom from LA and put him on Miami the overall competitiveness of the league is enhanced, thus giving Kobe more of a chance for glory. I personally dont want to see Kobe win titles in such an easy fashion. In the end if he wins a title in a more competitive league, it will only reflect strongly on him.

It wouldn't be easy. There have been much more stacked teams with much less competition. The Lakers have A LOT of competition in the Celtics, Cavs, Spurs, Magic, and lastly Mavs. Those teams have great depth and players as well.

AllTheWay
07-23-2009, 11:26 PM
if LA gets Odom, i will say congrats to the LA fans. Not suck balls LA, PSD is turning into Little immature kids.

Lolz

AllTheWay
07-23-2009, 11:31 PM
You gonna be gettiing banned for post padding.

still1ballin
07-24-2009, 12:30 AM
Lolz

HAHA, don't worry, I'd say the same thing

Suck Balls Miami

AllTheWay
07-24-2009, 01:20 AM
Aha your in Miami.

Jonathan2323
07-24-2009, 01:30 AM
HAHA, don't worry, I'd say the same thing

Suck Balls Miami

go back to your city then.

Chronz
07-24-2009, 03:17 AM
He doesn't need much help...I think everybody severely overrated the Lakers supporting cast. Take a look at their PG depth:

Derek Fisher: He became a shell of himself. He was downright horrid in the playoffs and was really atrocious on the defensive end. He hit the biggest shot though in that Game 4. It still doesn't excuse the rest of his play.

Jordan Farmar: Nothing much else to say. He was a failure this year. Just very bad play all around. His decision making was mind boggling and his defense more so considering he comes from the tutelage of Ben Howland.

Shannon Brown: He was a spark every time he came in....which was rarely.

Lets take a look at SG depth:

Sasha Vujacic: 0 PPG on 0% shooting is his numbers for the Finals. He didn't bring much on defense.

Here is the SF depth:

Trevor Ariza: He stepped up offensively, but still got burned to all hell by Carmelo Anthony. He was a little inconsistent, but showed up in big ways.

Luke Walton: He could pass? He was an OK bench help. Other than that, Walton didn't bring much to the table.

PF depth:

Pau Gasol: Fantastic right here. All-star power forward. I think some overrate him and others underrate him. I think he became a much better player as a Laker...and a lot of that is contributed to Kobe.

Lamar Odom: Showed up against Utah...dissapeared against Houston...showed up for half the series' the rest of the way. Inconsistent, but a good force when he shows up.

C depth:

Andrew Bynum: He couldn't do much because of the injury. He wasn't himself as you later note.

Lets do a review:

PG: below average depth
SG: His backup is a joke
SF: mediocre at best
PF: very good
C: decent

Every team in the league could lay such claims about their players. Facts remain, teams are in awe of their talent pool. Kobe with 3 bigs of that quality and Ariza/Artest is alot to deal with. Every team has weaknesses, the Lakers just have less of them, not to mention it was a down year for the powers that couldve realistically threatened the Lakers.

Chronz, I know you love to discredit Kobe a lot as of late. It is your new shtick....But you cannot tell me that was a good supporting cast. Not to mention it would be damn near impossible to convince anyone that the line-up is "stacked."

Impossible, Ive read half a dozen or so articles making the exact same claims, about GM's around the league. Trust me, Lakers are the most talented team on the planet and every GM in the West knows it. Subtract Odom from the equation and then we will see what Kobe is truly made of. This title wasnt as much of a test. And take it how you wish, I dont think Im discrediting him, he was great(for the most part). Just not much of a test when you have the most stacked team in the league and your a top player trying to move up on the alltime rankings. As a Kobe fan, didnt you want to face a healthy Boston, Spurs, Rockets, Magic? I know I wouldve enjoyed Kobe winning in such a manner much more.

Now, you may be talking about this upcoming year, which I would agree with the addition of Artest...But I interpreted your statement as a slight against Kobe that he needed way too much help to win. :eyebrow:
Both actually, but this past year was out of his control with how little Kobe needed to do, in order to win. Atleast when you talk about players of his talent. Every decent team that could atleast threaten the Lakers was missing a key player, not that its Kobe fault, but as a fan of the game, Id like to see hard fought champions, every so often there are down years for contenders. I would rather see Kobe have it much harder to win. Losing Odom would make them favorites, that fact alone says alot about the teams talent base. The fact that they can lose a player of Odoms caliber and still be favorites.

As for the next year, I may be abit premature and I could be wrong, but with Bynums improved health, and the alleged upgrade to Artest, makes losing Odom all more important to me. I just want more parity in the playoffs next year. Losing Odom gives me that assuming no one else gos down.

BTW--Like I said, Kobe doesn't need much help (as his teams are always filled with players who don't even fit the system correctly anyways), but it doesn't hurt to add more help.
Dont fit the system correctly? What does that mean?

Chronz
07-24-2009, 03:36 AM
PS Gasol was always the same player, nothing about him changed in LA. I will say, he moved into the perfect offense for him, and even then hes underutilized.

Fool
07-24-2009, 05:06 AM
Love the Miami fans coming in here and getting their panties in a bunch because they know what is probably going to happen now.

JayW_1023
07-24-2009, 05:53 AM
If Odom signs with LA, the Lakers will not have any good excuses not to win the title. That team will be too loaded.

The Lakers would become the Yankees of the NBA.

ggg
07-24-2009, 06:45 AM

man the excuses for bynum is just terrible. he was cleared to play and scored double digits when he came back then sucked in the playoffs. Lamar got injured and was still called inconsistent damn.

MiamiHeat
07-24-2009, 08:43 AM
Love the Miami fans coming in here and getting their panties in a bunch because they know what is probably going to happen now.

really?
Lakers fans were the ones insulting moms :shrug: