PDA

View Full Version : Equal Opportunity Offense or Isolation/P & R Offense

ARMIN12NBA
07-22-2009, 07:09 PM
What do you guys prefer as an offensive system for your favorite squad? An Equal Opportunity Offense or an Isolation/P & R Offense?

Most teams run an isolation offensive system with a lot of pick and rolls as well as off the ball movement being set by picks. There are few teams that run equal opportunity offenses which is more predicated on sharing the ball, cutting, and reading the defense before making the correct pass (if the offense is run correctly then there should be an open man).

Now, the teams that run a lot of P & R with iso are teams that have superstars. The coaches feel it is the best way to enhance the superstar's play, individual numbers, and for it to trickle down to heightened team success.

If you had a superstar, would you rather run an equal opportunity offense or would you rather run an offense which enhanced numbers with more P & R play? Consider the fact that equal opportunity would mean less opportunity for your superstar although it may possibly result in better team play.

Anyways, you guys decide, debate, and share your opinion. Equal Opportunity or Isolation?

Chronz
07-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Foolish notions that were never proven true, Kobe in PnR offense would suffer, and Bron in the triangle would suffer or hell they both may end up thriving. Both offenses are predicated on reading and reacting, I like when people try to make the triangle seem like rocket science, or that it lowers Kobes chances, hes at his best in a structured offense that caters to his skills. The triangle prevents teams from loading up on Kobe all night the way PnR offense would. Nor does he have the legs in him to carry an offense for an 82 game grind.

But to answer the question I prefer the triangle. PnR is boring if its the main play, but it totally depends on my talent pool.

ARMIN12NBA
07-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Foolish notions that were never proven true, Kobe in PnR offense would suffer, and Bron in the triangle would suffer or hell they both may end up thriving. Both offenses are predicated on reading and reacting, I like when people try to make the triangle seem like rocket science, or that it lowers Kobes chances, hes at his best in a structured offense that caters to his skills. The triangle prevents teams from loading up on Kobe all night the way PnR offense would. Nor does he have the legs in him to carry an offense for an 82 game grind.

But to answer the question I prefer the triangle. PnR is boring if its the main play, but it totally depends on my talent pool.

This wasn't about Kobe or Lebron really. I started thinking about the two in their offensive system and how I preferred the Triangle because it made the team better, but I wondered what other fans preferred.

I do know fans from certain teams who just want to dump it in their star player and go (essentially play a lot of isolation) even at the expense of team play.

Personally, I feel Kobe would dominate in isolation, but the team would not be as dominant.

I do disagree about the Triangle not being complicated. The amount of players to just not get it is staggering. Maybe NBA players are just dumb. I don't know, but it is definitely A LOT of memorization of what to do (cuts, posts, etc.) and acting quick on your feet after reading a defensive set.

ko8e24
07-22-2009, 11:29 PM
I like what my team has now, a hybrid-type of offense.

A share the wealth approach, and then a GTF out of my way approach. That worked this season, and it resulted in a championship. :D

lakers4sho
07-23-2009, 12:07 AM

A share the wealth approach, and then a GTF out of my way approach. That worked this season, and it resulted in a championship. :D

pretty much

Triangle during the first 3 and 3/4 quarters, then during the last 5 minutes we go to the "GTF out of my way approach" :cool:

AllTheWay
07-23-2009, 02:45 AM
Triangle

DenButsu
07-23-2009, 03:03 AM
Well, my favorite squad is the Nuggets, so I'd answer both, or neither, or a combination with some other stuff thrown in. Of course, Melo gets his share of isos (although after last season I'm pretty firmly convinced that that's not the most conducive thing to his effectiveness). And of course with Billups working with Melo and Nene (and others, but those 2 primarily) Denver can run pretty effective P&Rs, too. But basically I'd describe my preferred offense for Denver as "Let Chauncey call the plays and decide where the ball goes". As long as he maintains an awareness of getting Melo and Nene enough touches (he gets a little shot happy sometimes) the Nuggets can run a pretty nice variety of looks that makes them hard to defend.

And man, I can't wait to see what Ty Lawson can do with this crew. It seems like he's a great decision maker with really nice vision who takes care of the ball really well. CB/Lawson should afford the Nuggets 48 minutes of solid pg play and give Karl the freedom to rotate players in lots of different lineups and generally to have a lot of flexibility in what kind of offensive looks the Nuggets throw at their opponents.

Chronz
07-23-2009, 03:30 AM
This wasn't about Kobe or Lebron really. I started thinking about the two in their offensive system and how I preferred the Triangle because it made the team better, but I wondered what other fans preferred.
Just seems like another one of DnL's theories thinly veiled behind a different set of questions.

I do know fans from certain teams who just want to dump it in their star player and go (essentially play a lot of isolation) even at the expense of team play.

Im sure there are, but teams that actually play like that, do so because they think its their best chance of winning. Not because the team wouldnt play as good in that setting.

Personally, I feel Kobe would dominate in isolation, but the team would not be as dominant.
Why? Hes usually gassed out when he plays like that, and hes never really been efficient outside the triangle. If PnR is so much easier, then why did Kobe suffer in that setting, and instantly produced like he shouldve once they went back to the triangle?

I do disagree about the Triangle not being complicated. The amount of players to just not get it is staggering. Maybe NBA players are just dumb. I don't know, but it is definitely A LOT of memorization of what to do (cuts, posts, etc.) and acting quick on your feet after reading a defensive set.

I suppose it depends on the position, look at Smush Parker, dumb as rocks, yet played the best ball of his life in the triangle. Sucked everywhere else. Some of that was Kobe, but even when he wasnt out there, he was still better than anywhere else he played. Reason being he didnt have to facilitate or act like a PG. The triangle just focuses on clearing the way for players, any system that features 1 player getting the bulk of the shots shouldnt really be considered an equal opportunity offense as it is, maximizing Kobes strengths, and giving him options when they double him.

Players that struggle in it, are probably struggling for a variety of reason that would probably still exist if they played elsewhere, I really cant say, I hate generalizations, if you could list some examples I would have something to work with.

Personally I just think there are just as many examples of players struggling to adapt in other settings, including something as rudimentary as a PnR heavy offense where its about learning to play 4 on 3. It really just depends on the players skillset. There is no universal style that will suit players better. The great players play great regardless, everyone else just has to learn how to play off of those great players.

Chronz
07-23-2009, 03:34 AM

The way I see it, the team runs the triangle for the majority of the game to keep defenses honest, and not as prepared when they go into PnR mode, at the end of a close game, its always Kobe-Pau PnR, and it always delivers, the key is that they save it for when its needed most. Of course it helps that Pau can play both in the high and low post to make it work. Once teams get multifaceted players, thats when they diversify their offense.

If you have a post player, you feed it to him every now and then. If you have shooters who cant get open on their own, you create for them. Its a game of skills, you fit the pieces that work together, and build your offense from there.