PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Nobody Want to Sign With Portland?

young_soldier
07-22-2009, 05:32 PM
The Trailblazers are a very good up and coming team. They have many young pieces in place and a good cap space and this offseason looked to make a key acquisition to further their run for the playoffs.

They Lost on Turk, lost on Millsap, seem to have lost on Odom and Boozer, and talks with Lee has died down. They are now taking a run at Andre Miller, and it doesn't seem as though they will get it done.

Also RUdy Fernandez has been rumored to be unhappy with the organization.

Whats wrong with Portland? Why does no - one want to go there?

Wake's Fastball
07-22-2009, 05:33 PM
Would you honestly want to play basketball in Portland, Oregon? They've got one of the league's best players in Brandon Roy, who I'm sure the vast majority of Americans couldn't tell you jack about.

black1605
07-22-2009, 05:35 PM
well Millsap did want to play there, but the offer was matched

slaker619
07-22-2009, 05:40 PM
The City Is Horriable And They Are Young And Some Players Just Want To Go To A Contending Team Not A Team That Could Use Some Help.

abe_froman
07-22-2009, 05:41 PM
milsap wanted to play for them,its just utah matched their offer and they dont want boozer,they never tried to go after him,so no idea how he ended up in that list.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Would you honestly want to play basketball in Portland, Oregon? They've got one of the league's best players in Brandon Roy, who I'm sure the vast majority of Americans couldn't tell you jack about.

Pay me $10 Mil. and I'd be on the frist flight anywhere!

Lo Porto
07-22-2009, 05:43 PM
Why? Because Portland has coveted 8-10 young players who have "too much potential" to trade. Why go to Portland when you think their precious young guy is right on your heels from the beginning? Plus, Roy, Aldridge and Odom are already the stars on the team.

By the way, Millsap only signed that contract because he knew it was for more than what Utah was offering. Everybody knew Utah was matching any offer sheet. Do you think Millsap actually even thought he was going to be a Blazer?

JOSKOMANG4
07-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Pay me $10 Mil. and I'd be on the frist flight anywhere!

Pay me 10,000 dollars and I'll play there haha.

abe_froman
07-22-2009, 05:55 PM

yes i would

zambo4president
07-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Pay me 10,000 dollars and I'll play there haha.

Pay me nothing and ill play there.

Kakaroach
07-22-2009, 06:04 PM
milsap wanted to play for them,its just utah matched their offer and they dont want boozer,they never tried to go after him,so no idea how he ended up in that list. Totally wrong. After the Jazz matched the offer, Millsap said he never talked with Coach Nate and that he said he would have gotten limited minutes in Portland behind Aldridge, Oden, and Pryzbilla. He said he was very happy to be back in Utah where he felt he belonged and would get much more playing time.

Ansy
07-22-2009, 06:05 PM
One guy's family wanted to live in a different city. Other than that, nobody has refused to sign there.

There really isn't much to talk about this time of year, is there?

abe_froman
07-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Totally wrong. After the Jazz matched the offer, Millsap said he never talked with Coach Nate and that he said he would have gotten limited minutes in Portland behind Aldridge, Oden, and Pryzbilla. He said he was very happy to be back in Utah where he felt he belonged and would get much more playing time.

he wouldnt have taken the risk,however minimal it may be,unless there was some degree of being ok with being there.because even if its known and said there is still that "what if" until it is actually matched

asandhu23
07-22-2009, 06:07 PM
same reason warriors dont get these players...:mad::mad::mad:

Kakaroach
07-22-2009, 06:09 PM
he wouldnt have taken the risk,however minimal it may be,unless there was some degree of accepting to be there The point is that he only signed the T-Blaze offer sheet cuz it was worth more money. The article is in the Jazz forum I believe.

KaganRS
07-22-2009, 06:10 PM
why does Portland care ? if Bayless and Oden come into their own ...then they are the team to beat for the next 5 years (besides LA of course)

teckmunny
07-22-2009, 06:15 PM
dont really think any one wants to play in a small market like portland!!and they have a good young team!!

abe_froman
07-22-2009, 06:16 PM
The point is that he only signed the T-Blaze offer sheet cuz it was worth more money. The article is in the Jazz forum I believe.

and it was enough money for him to not totally hate the idea of living in portland

SeoulBeatz
07-22-2009, 06:18 PM
cus no one wants to live in portland.

location has A LOT to do with a players decision IMO, more than people think.

anybody else see that interview with D Wade on ESPN and they asked him whether he would consider leaving miami or not?

his answer?

"you see those palm trees and nice sunny beaches behind me? who would want to leave that?"

notice he didn't say the "great fans", nor the "developing team", he mentioned the beaches.... lol.

portland is in the middle of nowhere and while im sure Oregon has some beautiful scenic views, it doesnt exactly go with the lifestyle that most nba players are drawn too.

its really as simple as that.

a players priorities are...

1) Money
2) Location
3) The team itself.

and before you try to bash me and say otherwise, PUT YOURSELF IN THEIR SHOES.

Blah Blah Blah
07-22-2009, 06:19 PM
On the rise and with LAL,DEN,DAL,SAS,healthy HOU and prolly even NO are teams they have to somehow compete with and are not gonna win out for the next few seasons. Plus Pritchard doesn't want to part with any of his prospects and expects to land talented guys without giving up anything which won't work in trades either.

ko8e24
07-22-2009, 06:21 PM
cuz they're icky

lol jk

MPScribbles
07-22-2009, 06:23 PM
You guys that say pay me 10 mil and I'll play anywhere aren't seeing it from the players' perspectives, and how could you? These players know that they will make what seems to us to be obscene money no matter where they play. Therefore, the city and the team have something to do with it- not totally about money.

PTownzFinest
07-22-2009, 06:30 PM
For those who say Portland is a horrible city to live you, you obviously havent been here. We have the nicest summers around combined with beaches, lakes, rivers, moutains, and everything and anything else. It rains a lot but we get the best of all seasons. I hate the rain myself but living here has its perks. Also, Roy and aldridge are one piece away from being contenders so teams should be wanting to come here. Eventually it will happen.

As for the post about the warriors....lmfao its time to come back to reality. Rookie of the year is going to go to someone along the lines of Jonny Flinn or Blake Griffin......Curry is gonna be good but he is on a team stacked with talent that has already progressed (Steven Jackson, Randolph, Ellis, Morrow)

And u talk about the lifestyle....haha we have the party lifestyle here....more than you know.....

Lakers4ItAll
07-22-2009, 06:33 PM
I have lived in Portland the weather sucks it rains almost every day I hated it.

Hawkeye15
07-22-2009, 06:33 PM
I think Portland had a specific list of guys they wanted, when they missed, they are moving on. You don't just miss a guy you want, then try to make up for it by taking a guy you don't. Why would they want Odom or Boozer????? Or AI????
They could have used Turk, and Milisap. After that, who cares?? Player development, utilize trades, or go fishing again next summer for that need.

PTownzFinest
07-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Man for a city that rains "all the time" we havent been below 80 at all in july and the next 5 days we are gonna be over 90 hitting 100 on saturday....we barely have rain in the summer

Tommyh1331
07-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Living in Orlando I definitely wouldn't mind living in Portland...especially for a couple of mill...For one I like rainy weather, also it's a beautiful area...the still has the beach...Sometimes there is too much sun to handle in Florida and the heat is rough.

mavwar53
07-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Portland is nice but doesn't get much publicity and players want to be known, Artest went to LA to win a championship but also cause the lakers are on national tv every game it seems and he can thrive on the cameras. Not sayin portland wanted him, just giving an example.

PTownzFinest
07-22-2009, 07:33 PM
if portland won a title we would get publiscity tho think about it

mavwar53
07-22-2009, 07:39 PM
if portland won a title we would get publiscity tho think about it

not like the main franchises LA Bos SA or the star players leBron D12 and wade I think roy is great but portland doesnt get the pub.

S-Dot
07-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Portland is really deep, talented squad with young players, but they arent title contenders yet. Those two things may not attract a veteran.

MaHaRaJaH
07-22-2009, 07:42 PM
The City Is Horriable And They Are Young And Some Players Just Want To Go To A Contending Team Not A Team That Could Use Some Help.

The team is a GOOD team. The city has revitalized much of it's downtown area, it's a lot more prettier to be in. The team IS a contender.

MaHaRaJaH
07-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Portland is really deep, talented squad with young players, but they arent title contenders yet. Those two things may not attract a veteran.

A veteran would see that if he can be a part of it he can make the team contend? (i.e Hedo)

_Supreme_
07-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Totally wrong. After the Jazz matched the offer, Millsap said he never talked with Coach Nate and that he said he would have gotten limited minutes in Portland behind Aldridge, Oden, and Pryzbilla. He said he was very happy to be back in Utah where he felt he belonged and would get much more playing time.

If this is true then why the hell did he sign that offer sheet.

97'bulls
07-22-2009, 07:45 PM
Because there is nothing there

jimbobjarree
07-22-2009, 07:53 PM
If this is true then why the hell did he sign that offer sheet.

we basically told him to go out and get a deal and we'll match it, thats what he did, thats what happened. He said he didnt even talk to their coach or GM lol, Portland never wanted him, it was just to screw us over, Milly knew he'd be back.

_Supreme_
07-22-2009, 08:09 PM
we basically told him to go out and get a deal and we'll match it, thats what he did, thats what happened. He said he didnt even talk to their coach or GM lol, Portland never wanted him, it was just to screw us over, Milly knew he'd be back.

Come on, all of that doesn't make sense at all.

I'm not sure how the initial negotiations with Utah went, if there were any at all, but I bet Millsap signed that offer sheet because by doing so he would guarantee himself of at least getting that amount of money, and he would be fine with either team.

The city of Portland ranks 42nd on this years list of cities with the best quality of living in the world. That is 4th highest among US cities.

http://www.mercer.com/referencecontent.htm?idContent=1173105

(scroll halfway down for the list)

I can understand that some of these NBA players are interested in the party scene though, and Portland probably isn't the best place for that compared to some other US cities, but the people in this thread bashing the city of Portland have no clue what they are talking about.

Sly Guy
07-22-2009, 08:36 PM
no minutes.

S-Dot
07-22-2009, 08:51 PM
A veteran would see that if he can be a part of it he can make the team contend? (i.e Hedo)

Hedo chose elsewhere

IBleedPurple
07-22-2009, 08:59 PM
I wouldn't mind living in Portland (or close), but how many NBA players would say the same? It just doesn't fit. You can't exactly say that Cleveland or San Antonio is a players paradise either.

I'd avoid eastern Oregon though, a little too hillbilly for me.

knickerbockerny
07-22-2009, 09:03 PM
I don't understand why either that team is up and coming with a billionaire owner and that means a plethora of perks.