PDA

View Full Version : Potential Fire Sales?!

eman
07-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Now that all the free agent frenzy is over, I wanted to ask a question that is far from anyone's mind. What if all these moves don't work out? With the economic future looking worse and worse causing the salary and luxury thresholds to retreat rather than march forward a lot of front offices are going to have to become more fiscally responsible if their respective teams aren't living up to expectations. With the greatest gathering of talent ever assembled headed for he free agent pool there will be even more pressure to jettison players who aren't working out with hope of getting more marketable players in their place. My question is what teams are in the worse position should it all not work out?

My two biggest candidates for a fire sale are the Orlando Magic and the Dallas Mavericks who both have been very active in the free agent market and are on the line for a ton of multi year contracts that will put both teams over the luxury tax threshold for the next two years. Granted that Orlando did make the finals this year but if Boston rebounds from losing Kevin Garnett to injury and regains the finals, the heightened expectations in Central Florida will look on the FO's moves as less then worthy and could cause for some major upheavels. The Mavericks are another team that has made a number of moves and will be over the luxury tax for the forseeable future. I think all these moves were to keep Dirk Norwitzki happy and not seek employment elsewhere in 2012. Should things go wrong in placing their faith in an aging point guard and small forward will Mark Cuban be forced to retool his team for the future?

Chicagofaithful
07-22-2009, 01:10 PM

Bullets
07-22-2009, 01:16 PM
My Wiz didn't pack on salaries during the offseason, but hey were already projected to pay the tax because of the money they have tied into the Medium-Sized Three. Grunfeld's been adamant about giving them a chance to play together healthy. He's quick to point out that the one year they were healthy they were the best team in the East at the All Star break. Well, by this year's break if they're not in serious contention there should (and likely will) be changes. If the Wiz don't get deep into the playoffs they don't have a choice but to unload Butler and/or Jamison (no one will touch Arenas' contract) and likely won't resign Haywood. Let's not forget that the two players they acquired via trade this summer, Foye and Miller, are also coming up on free agency. The numbers just don't add up. Something is going to have to give and it's probably just time to blow it all up anyway if these guys don't look like world beaters by the break.

njnets
07-22-2009, 03:30 PM
i see the hornets fire selling. i see them giving away chandler for basically nothing, like they almost did at the trade dead line.

iHolden
07-22-2009, 03:41 PM
Mavs fan here... yeah sadly I do think that we might be screwed in the next few years, unless we can get something from the famous DUST chip next offseason.

FaceDown91
07-22-2009, 03:48 PM
yep i see a hawks fire selling and getting lebron, dwight howard, and wade for zaza :D