PDA

View Full Version : What would the Jays need to trade Rios?

MontanatoClark
07-22-2009, 03:41 AM
Giants fan here - Rios would be a great fit IMHO for the Giants. Given his salary (over $10 mill thus way over proced given his production) what do the Jays want/need in return.

The Giants will not give up a top prospect for Rios given his salary and it is unlikely that anyone else would either. Therefore, Alderson, Bumgarner, Villalona, and Posey are out of the question.

The Giants will want to include F. Lewis in any trade since he also needs a change of scenary. What would the Jays want along with Lewis to make this happen.

As an interesting aside, if the Jays can trade Rios, would they be able to afford to keep Halladay?

D-Train#35
07-22-2009, 06:02 AM
Tim Lincecum/ Matt Cain.

Haha, remember those days?

Shifty1 69
07-22-2009, 07:54 AM
Giants fan here - Rios would be a great fit IMHO for the Giants. Given his salary (over $10 mill thus way over proced given his production) what do the Jays want/need in return.

The Giants will not give up a top prospect for Rios given his salary and it is unlikely that anyone else would either. Therefore, Alderson, Bumgarner, Villalona, and Posey are out of the question.

The Giants will want to include F. Lewis in any trade since he also needs a change of scenary. What would the Jays want along with Lewis to make this happen.

As an interesting aside, if the Jays can trade Rios, would they be able to afford to keep Halladay?

They wont give him away. I also dont believe they cant afford Halladay. I believe Beeston even said that they have the go ahead to carry a $120mil payroll when the time is right. No link, just from an interview on Bobcats show (FAN590).

I believe 100% that this trade talk is driven by Halladay, and I dont blame him for it.

If you propose pulling 5 prospects off the table, I dont see how anything gets done without expanding the deal from either/both sides.

blujaysrock
07-22-2009, 08:31 AM
Tim Lincecum/ Matt Cain.

Haha, remember those days?

Damn I wish that trade would have got done :(

dman_39
07-22-2009, 09:37 AM
Trade him to National League for a bag of balls.

North Yorker
07-22-2009, 10:08 AM
If Doc is traded then I could see Rios packaged along with either one of our young pitchers (Zippy, Mills, etc) or one of our BP arms (Frasor,League, heck maybe even Downs) to maximize the return.

This is of course assuming that we get good arms back in exchange for Doc..

bartron_44
07-22-2009, 10:57 AM
Rios, and Marcum for Cain and Lewis :)

JOSKOMANG4
07-22-2009, 11:09 AM
- Giants acquire OF Alex Rios & 1b Lyle Overbay

- Blue Jays acquire1b T. Ishakawa, OF Fred Lewis, and RHP's Alex Hinshaw and Sergio Romo.

Giants Lineup ( not in any sig order)

C- Molina
1b- Overbay
2b- Burriss/URibe
SS- renteria
3b- Sandoval
LF- Rios
CF- Rowand
RF- Winn

Rotation:

Lincecum, Cain, Johnson, Zito, Sanchez.

Blue Jay Lineup: not in any sig. order

C) Barajas
1b) Ishakawa
2b) Hill
SS) Scutaro
3b) Rolen
LF) Lind
CF) Wells
RF) Fred Lewis
DH) Snyder/Millar

thoughts???

JOSKOMANG4
07-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Just throwing this out there..

Would you take this trade: Yankees and Blue Jays

- Blue Jays acquire OF Austin Jackson and SP Ian Kennedy

- Yankees acquire OF Vernon Wells

2009mvp
07-22-2009, 11:53 AM
^^We'd be ******** not to, assuming the Yankees take most of the salary. Of course there's not a chance in hell they give up A Jax for Wells.

TO Fan
07-22-2009, 12:02 PM

In a heartbeat...

miller74
07-22-2009, 12:48 PM

- Blue Jays acquire1b T. Ishakawa, OF Fred Lewis, and RHP's Alex Hinshaw and Sergio Romo.

C- Molina
1b- Overbay
2b- Burriss/URibe
SS- renteria
3b- Sandoval
LF- Rios
CF- Rowand
RF- Winn

Rotation:

C) Barajas
1b) Ishakawa
2b) Hill
SS) Scutaro
3b) Rolen
LF) Lind
CF) Wells
RF) Fred Lewis
DH) Snyder/Millar

thoughts???

Overbay and Rios gone? i would take whats in the mystery box to get rid of those 2

MontanatoClark
07-22-2009, 01:01 PM

C- Molina
1b- Overbay
2b- Burriss/URibe
SS- renteria
3b- Sandoval
LF- Rios
CF- Rowand
RF- Winn

Rotation:

C) Barajas
1b) Ishakawa
2b) Hill
SS) Scutaro
3b) Rolen
LF) Lind
CF) Wells
RF) Fred Lewis
DH) Snyder/Millar

thoughts???

I can see te Giants making this trade, especially since it will open spots on the 40 man roster and bring back two quality (hopefully) MLB hitters. The key would be the length of Overbay's contract.

ChongInc.
07-22-2009, 01:06 PM
im still a rios fan.
im not ready to get rid of him.
i think he is going to need a year to get used to citos hitting instruction.
he just came into his own last year, and he was using gibbys "wait and work the count" type of style. not citos
'see a nice pitch and swing for the fences" style.
he will figure it out.
he has loads of talent and potential.
and he still has that cannon arm.
plus this is his first poor year since he broke out.
not like wells that has had a few ****** years and just doesn't seem motivated now that he got the big pay check.
rios is actually bothered by his lack of production.

Big Hurt
07-22-2009, 01:29 PM

How do you like this trade proposal.
Wells and a mid level prospect, say Ahrens
For
Nothing
In a heartbeat!!!!!!!!

If JP could do this trade I would LOVE it!

Jays Claw
07-22-2009, 01:32 PM
I rather give the Giants Vernon Wells than Alex Rios.

miller74
07-22-2009, 01:37 PM
im still a rios fan.
he just came into his own last year, and he was using gibbys "wait and work the count" type of style. not citos
he will figure it out.
not like wells that has had a few ****** years and just doesn't seem motivated now that he got the big pay check.

That is a load of garbage he broke out in 06 played, and his power disappeared since then, there is no way it takes over a year to adjust to what cito wants him to do, and hes over 27 time to stop talkin about his potential hes not a prospect anymore hes an under acheiving over paid player that has a bad attitude and makes tones of mental mistakes. As for his lack of production bothering him? then when he was criticized by the fans for strikin out 5 times the classy rios responded with " i dont give a fcuk" and that was after he denied a kid his autograph.
Ya he really seems like he worth holding onto for 12 mill a season

miller74
07-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Wells was cleary on steroids he lost about 20lbs and any chance of hitting 35 hr again

WaterBoy24
07-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Rios,BJ,Troy Glaus...probably more....

nstojic
07-22-2009, 09:40 PM
can we have lincecum?:hide:

nithanyo
07-22-2009, 10:29 PM
im still a rios fan.
he will figure it out.

Just lettin you know but Wells had a better season than Rios last year. And vernon missed a third of the season.....and i recall Rios say something along the lines of 'who gives a ****' when fans questioned his production.

Not to say that either of them dont care, but no way in hell do we know that these guys arent motivated. For all we know it could be Wells and Rios doing the extra BP, and video time just to earn their paychecks

StealingSigns
07-22-2009, 10:51 PM
Overbay and Rios gone? i would take whats in the mystery box to get rid of those 2

:laugh: