PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather be underrated as a team or be hyped up as a team?

JordansBulls
07-22-2009, 12:09 AM
Would you rather be underrated as a team or be hyped up as a team?

ink
07-22-2009, 12:14 AM
Under-rated.

Hype is for marketing, not for sport.

Kakaroach
07-22-2009, 12:14 AM
Under-rated. I'd rather be in the middle-of-the-road though.

sacgiants1213
07-22-2009, 12:15 AM
underrated. There's a lot less pressure when there isn't a target on your back.

JordansBulls
07-22-2009, 12:19 AM
I said hyped because I want my team to live up to expectations. If a team is underrated then they most likely aren't going to overachieve. To me only a few teams were underrated where they won the title. Whereas most teams that win it all are teams that were overrated for the year.

ko8e24
07-22-2009, 12:23 AM
lol JB, u come up with the most random threads at the most random times. There's this whole odom fiasco going on, and now this breaking news that tmz has the lebron video of him getting dunked on.

but anyways, since im already on this thread, underrated. Hyped teams get hated on a lot

ink
07-22-2009, 12:26 AM
but anyways, since im already on this thread, underrated. Hyped teams get hated on a lot

Umm ... and players like Lebron too??? Who needs that crap?

ink
07-22-2009, 12:27 AM
I said hyped because I want my team to live up to expectations. If a team is underrated then they most likely aren't going to overachieve. To me only a few teams were underrated where they won the title. Whereas most teams that win it all are teams that were overrated for the year.

Your team can still live up to expectations without being hyped.

Hype is artificial, media/marketing created.

Raps18-19 Champ
07-22-2009, 12:32 AM
I don't mind as long as they get the job done and be successful.

ko8e24
07-22-2009, 12:39 AM

lol, u figured out where i was going with this?? :D Clever man! But u kno to a certain extent that's true.

Hype is like "Chinese Water Torture", it's getting pushed into your head constantly and constantly over and over and over and over again until u can't take it anymore and drives u insane, and all u can do is take a lack of liking to it

blastmasta26
07-22-2009, 12:44 AM
Underrated is the obvious choice. Underrated teams tend to overachieve while hyped up teams tend to disappoint. Would you rather be a disappointed fan or an excited fan?

tr4shb0t
07-22-2009, 12:52 AM

You should moderate this forum without letting your feelings for Lebron control you. You delete almost every thread that has something negative to do with Lebron because you can't stand to read it. Just saying...it's pretty ridiculous.

Anyway, I say underrated because overrated teams are annoying to hear about

Raps18-19 Champ
07-22-2009, 12:55 AM
Over rated teams are usually more successful.

bogdanrom
07-22-2009, 12:58 AM
Easily underrated. Underrated means you're good but now one thinks you're that good.

ink
07-22-2009, 01:16 AM
You should moderate this forum without letting your feelings for Lebron control you. You delete almost every thread that has something negative to do with Lebron because you can't stand to read it. Just saying...it's pretty ridiculous.

Anyway, I say underrated because overrated teams are annoying to hear about

That has nothing to do with "feelings for Lebron". It has to do with quality. We don't want hate threads on ANY NBA players in here. Intelligent discussion like some of our best posters create, but not constant hate on NBA stars.

PhillyBoomerang
07-22-2009, 01:20 AM
Chicks digg the underdogs

tr4shb0t
07-22-2009, 01:39 AM
That has nothing to do with "feelings for Lebron". It has to do with quality. We don't want hate threads on ANY NBA players in here. Intelligent discussion like some of our best posters create, but not constant hate on NBA stars.

Yea I get that, but I've noticed that you handle threads differently when they involve Lebron. I know I would have a hard time doing your job and not basing things on how I felt. We are all human.

ink
07-22-2009, 01:58 AM
Yea I get that, but I've noticed that you handle threads differently when they involve Lebron. I know I would have a hard time doing your job and not basing things on how I felt. We are all human.

I'm not even a Lebron fan. lol. I don't revere him or hate him. I respect him no more or less than I do DWade, Howard, Kobe, or any other current star.

You have to be aware that Lebron has taken more bashing than any other player THIS YEAR. In previous years it was Kobe and we deleted all of those threads too. The difference is that there are 500 Kobe fans for every Lebron fan in here and it's ugly watching the piling on that happens when a Lebron thread gets started. Frankly it's really childish and it must be a turn-off to legitimate posters who might be considering posting on our forums.

It gets incredibly annoying having Lebron thread after Lebron thread turn into a bashing session. Big surprise that it gets treated "differently". :cool:

Let's get back on topic. :clap:

tr4shb0t
07-22-2009, 02:14 AM
I'm not even a Lebron fan. lol. I don't revere him or hate him. I respect him no more or less than I do DWade, Howard, Kobe, or any other current star.

You have to be aware that Lebron has taken more bashing than any other player THIS YEAR. In previous years it was Kobe and we deleted all of those threads too. The difference is that there are 500 Kobe fans for every Lebron fan in here and it's ugly watching the piling on that happens when a Lebron thread gets started. Frankly it's really childish and it must be a turn-off to legitimate posters who might be considering posting on our forums.

It gets incredibly annoying having Lebron thread after Lebron thread turn into a bashing session. Big surprise that it gets treated "differently". :cool:

Let's get back on topic. :clap:

ok fair enough, well I can see where you're coming from mostly. I know Lebron has gotten more hate this year by far. I guess it just sucks that some topics have to get deleted because they are more than half bad posts.

Alright, back on topic...I just didn't want make a new thread to ask you about it.

ink
07-22-2009, 02:17 AM
Alright, back on topic...I just didn't want make a new thread to ask you about it.

Send a PM next time. Better than us taking the thread off topic. :)

flyers1618
07-22-2009, 02:23 AM
Underrated

When the media overrates a team and obnoxious fans of that team that don't know what they're talking about start talking trash to you about how their team is better than yours there's no better feeling than watching your team knock them out of the playoffs.

NYY NYJ NYK
07-22-2009, 02:49 AM
Under-Rated

BRICKCITYPIMP12
07-22-2009, 03:30 AM
i would rather be underrated.. that way when you do good you prove people wrong.. and if your overtated or hyped...cough cough cavs and the so called king james cough cough.. when the go to the finals and get swept and should go to the finals again but lose 4 games to 1 and was one second away and 1 3 pointer away from being swept in the eastern confrence finals you will know that people are expecting all this great stuff from you and you just cant make it happen.haha 2 bad

azkarraga
07-22-2009, 04:03 AM
hyped up.

it means more media coverage, more money and players want to come to your team. The problem is if your team dont deliver; but thats a problem anyway, no matter how over or underrated your team is.

azkarraga
07-22-2009, 04:05 AM
and there's one question. i'm wondering if you choose underrated, only because you are afraid of failure?

Beno7500
07-22-2009, 04:22 AM
Id rather be underrated.

JayW_1023
07-22-2009, 05:55 AM
In this case I'm happy to be a Spurs fan. The Spurs are one of the most underhyped annual title contenders in the NBA. No matter how well we play...Timmy and the boys are always under the radar.

SteveNash
07-22-2009, 06:39 AM

By definition doesn't it mean that an under hyped team is more likely to exceed expectations while and over hyped team is more likely to fail?

CELTICS4LYFE
07-22-2009, 08:27 AM
underrated!! it makes it funner to watch, **** talk n ta win!!! look at the pats vs the rams that yr no one thought we had any chance

SlaterRaps
07-22-2009, 09:19 AM
definetley underrated cause if your team disapoints its not a big deal but if your team is hyped out of control its a huge deal if you dont do well

bal_ravens
07-22-2009, 09:30 AM
underrated!! it makes it funner to watch, **** talk n ta win!!! look at the pats vs the rams that yr no one thought we had any chance

We?

Eitherway, being underrated or hyped up is all by the media. So I would choose hyped up.

DrDEADalready
07-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Underrated.

CELTICS4LYFE
07-22-2009, 10:50 AM
We?

Eitherway, being underrated or hyped up is all by the media. So I would choose hyped up.

we as in my team lol was that really questionable??

RaiderLakersA's
07-22-2009, 12:45 PM
I would prefer underrated. But as far as the NBA goes, I don't really have a choice. The Lakers are going to get hyped no matter what. Their success in my lifetime alone speaks for itself. (How many times have we been to the playoffs, Finals, or won a championship in the last 40 or so years???) I suppose in that sense you can't really call it hype as it applies to the Lakers. More like a reasonable, realistic expectation.

So I've decided to turn a new page for the upcoming season. I'm going to hype the Celtics and Cavs this season. Way up. The reality is except for their championship season of a year or so ago, the C's haven't really done much in a decade or two. They could use the hype. And the Cavs have never won a Championship. They made it to the Finals in recent history, which is commendable, but we all know no one ever remembers the guy who finished second place. The Cavs will be my hyped puppies this year, too. Go Celtics! Go Cavs!!

EYDI819
07-22-2009, 12:49 PM
underrated because nobody expects you to do good but when you do, people are going to respect you more

masalex1205
07-22-2009, 01:05 PM
underrated

what54!?
07-22-2009, 01:09 PM
underrated because hyped up teams gets flamed horribly when they mess up

JordansBulls
07-23-2009, 03:29 PM
underrated because hyped up teams gets flamed horribly when they mess up

But then you want your team to live up to the hype as well.

ink
07-23-2009, 03:43 PM
But then you want your team to live up to the hype as well.

Why do you think hype is even necessary?? What athlete or coach uses hype to win a game??

None that I've ever heard of.

Hype is for the marketing department and the media. It helps sell tickets and jerseys. We see superstar after superstar (Tracy McGrady, Greg Oden, Shaq on the Suns all come to mind) fail to live up to hype. It is irrelevant to performance except maybe as a detriment.

Brooklyn Mets
07-23-2009, 03:58 PM
think about how an underrated team has got to feel if they can sneak under the radar, make the playoffs, and knock off a top seed..

hockeypro68
07-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Clippers. Playoffs next season.

kswissdaf
07-23-2009, 04:14 PM
Underrated