PDA

View Full Version : Just an idea....regarding Wells

nithanyo
07-21-2009, 09:57 PM
Vernon Wells is killing the ball on the road. Almost Mvp calibre. But at home he is hitting like john mcdonald blindfolded. You think maybe its the atmosphere were creating for him as fans. Maybe if we got off his case....maybe...just maybe he might start hitting better. Were better people than booing our supposed 'franchise' player and calling him a bum etc. Maybe if he can relax he might be able to hit better.

He is hitting

.332 on the road(208 AB)6 hr
.172 on at home(157 AB)3 hr

If he was hitting even .265 at home he would be a .300 hitter.

Were stuck with him for another 6 years and a shyt load of money. Might as well do our parts and support our man.

A huge mistake fans make with big name players is hate them in slumps. Maybe if we continue to cheer for him and take the pressure of the guy he might be able to convert his road success at home.

I know its theoretical but why not give it a try?

MaHaRaJaH
07-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Or maybe he's subliminally hinting he want's to get the 'Ef out? lol

MaHaRaJaH
07-21-2009, 10:02 PM
At this point im even considering doing VooDoo on Opponent pitchers '--_--

nithanyo
07-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Or maybe he's subliminally hinting he want's to get the 'Ef out? lol

Unless hes been living in a box even he knows that no team in their right mind would take him with that contract. If he wants out he would be performing so a team would actually want him. plus why would he want out in year 1 of a 7 year contract?

MaHaRaJaH
07-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Unless hes been living in a box even he knows that no team in their right mind would take him with that contract. If he wants out he would be performing so a team would actually want him. plus why would he want out in year 1 of a 7 year contract?

Oh I know I was just being dumb lol. I honestly don't know, it's usually the other way aruond for players no...

Twitchy
07-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Or maybe this is an example of why we should ignore home and road splits in small sample sizes.

fatkev78
07-21-2009, 11:30 PM
I hate to admit it, but it was pretty cool the way the Bosox fans were cheering Ortiz during his horendous stretch. I'll go quiet, but I'll never boo a Jay.

Zaunnie
07-21-2009, 11:35 PM
we could hypnotize Vernon into thinking that home was away and away was away so he could hit the ball. I saw this thing once where a hypnotist made Roger Clemens think he was a chicken

fatkev78
07-21-2009, 11:37 PM
we could hypnotize Vernon into thinking that home was away and away was away so he could hit the ball. I saw this thing once where a hypnotist made Roger Clemens think he was a chicken

:laugh:

MaHaRaJaH
07-21-2009, 11:51 PM

Simpsons! lol
"You will do your best"
"We will do our best"
"You will give it 110%"
"That's impossible, by definition you can't go past 100"

brandonwarne52
07-22-2009, 12:38 AM
.332/.364/.505 is good but isn't "MVP caliber"

yungballah15
07-22-2009, 12:50 AM
he needs an injury last year he got injured came back started getting home runs went on slumps got injured came back started hitting home runs he needs a injury lol.

bomber0104
07-22-2009, 12:57 AM
**** this... you boo him until he turns it around. I'm pretty sure he will still go home and enjoy his 22 million dollars

statquo
07-22-2009, 02:17 AM
It's T.O man, you either perform and be worshipped... or the opposite and get booed out of town.

punkz
07-25-2009, 07:12 AM
go out and buy a Wells jersey. He'll be here till 2014, whether you like it or not.

Gibby
07-25-2009, 04:47 PM
I hate to admit it, but it was pretty cool the way the Bosox fans were cheering Ortiz during his horendous stretch. I'll go quiet, but I'll never boo a Jay.

Vernon wells is not the same as david ortiz. David Ortiz had 5 straight seasons of finihing in the top 5 in mvp voting. Has 4 silver slugger awards and helped boston to 2 WS titles. Also alot of walk off hits and clutch performances.

fatkev78
07-25-2009, 05:13 PM
^ ok

Jamiecballer
07-25-2009, 05:26 PM
Or maybe this is an example of why we should ignore home and road splits in small sample sizes.

Small sample size my ***. If you watch Blue Jay games you can tell he feels the weight of the world on his shoulders every time he bats in front of the home crowd. What? You think he can't hear?

Jamiecballer
07-25-2009, 05:28 PM
**** this... you boo him until he turns it around. I'm pretty sure he will still go home and enjoy his 22 million dollars

I hope this isn't an example of how you parent, or intend to.

Jamiecballer
07-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Vernon Wells is killing the ball on the road. Almost Mvp calibre. But at home he is hitting like john mcdonald blindfolded. You think maybe its the atmosphere were creating for him as fans. Maybe if we got off his case....maybe...just maybe he might start hitting better. Were better people than booing our supposed 'franchise' player and calling him a bum etc. Maybe if he can relax he might be able to hit better.

He is hitting

.332 on the road(208 AB)6 hr
.172 on at home(157 AB)3 hr

If he was hitting even .265 at home he would be a .300 hitter.

Were stuck with him for another 6 years and a shyt load of money. Might as well do our parts and support our man.

A huge mistake fans make with big name players is hate them in slumps. Maybe if we continue to cheer for him and take the pressure of the guy he might be able to convert his road success at home.

I know its theoretical but why not give it a try?

Good for you Nithanyo. :) I was considering starting a thread like this myself. The people who are being so critical of Vernon have never stopped to consider how ignorant they are being and how self defeating their behaviour is. They think being rich somehow makes you less human; less susceptible to your emotions and internal pressures. The sad thing is that it's usually thoroughly likeable human beings like Vernon that end up treated this way since they are more sensitive and want to justify the money they earn. It's one of the more ugly aspects of sports.

brandonwarne52
07-25-2009, 05:55 PM
You definitely are thinking way too much about the players feelings, and thinking that the players honestly even hear what you say to them.

Twitchy
07-25-2009, 06:14 PM
Small sample size my ***. If you watch Blue Jay games you can tell he feels the weight of the world on his shoulders every time he bats in front of the home crowd. What? You think he can't hear?

He seemed to do a good job today at home despite all the booing.

It's a small sample size. You can't make any type of judgment call based on 150 at bats. It's ludicrous to suggest the booing is the reason why he can't play at home. It's his BAPIP. Or it could be the pitchers he's faced at home vs the guys he's faced on the road. But it sure isn't cause he's being booed. A-Rod gets booed all the time and you don't see him sucking like Wells does.

I guess by this same logic we shouldn't let him play night games since his OPS drops by .050. Or maybe we shouldn't let him play indoors because his OPS drops by nearly .200.

Jamiecballer
07-25-2009, 06:32 PM
He seemed to do a good job today at home despite all the booing.

I guess by this same logic we shouldn't let him play night games since his OPS drops by .050. Or maybe we shouldn't let him play indoors because his OPS drops by nearly .200.

He's a talented guy no one is suggesting that he strikes out 100% of his at-bats at home. And I hate to point out the obvious but Toronto plays indoors. And day/night stat? The difference is only 0.29 which is negligible. I'm curious how well you think you would perform at work under similar circumstances?

Oh right. One last point. This judgement is based on almost 375 at bats. Apparently your calculator is broken.

Twitchy
07-25-2009, 06:51 PM
He's a talented guy no one is suggesting that he strikes out 100% of his at-bats at home. And I hate to point out the obvious but Toronto plays indoors. And day/night stat? The difference is only 0.29 which is negligible. I'm curious how well you think you would perform at work under similar circumstances?

Oh right. One last point. This judgement is based on almost 375 at bats. Apparently your calculator is broken.

Apparently you missed the sarcasm in my post. I could care less what his inside/outdoor/turf/road/home splits are because they're meaningless statistics. If you care so much about home/road splits there's a function in his stats where you can neutralize his at bats. But "arguing" that he plays worse at home cause he's booed is just silly. You can't prove that he'd play better if he wasn't being booed. And he clearly wasn't playing well at home earlier in the season when he wasn't being booed, which means you're wrong.

By the way, he's only had 173 at bats at home and 208 on the road. If you want to focus on his home/road splits, you can't combine them and say hey he's got 375, because they're two separate numbers. And like I said, nobody is crazy enough to judge a player based on 173 at bats. At least I'm not.

Sorry but this argument is just nonsense and I'm not going to keep wasting my time on it. It's borderline insane to argue that fans booing Wells is the reason why he isn't playing well at home. He isn't playing well at home because of his BAPIP at home, or because he's faced tougher pitchers. But it sure as hell isn't because he's being booed.