PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy or...

BlueJayFanDan
07-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Does this team just freaking want to lose. I swear to god it seems like every time we have a late lead someone from the bullpen comes in and blows it. None of our players like to get hits towards the end of the game. I would like to know how many games our bullpen has lost this year. Cito Gaston seems clueless if hes putting in Millar and Bautista and Dellucci all the time. Not as much Bautista though because he is a solid player from time to time. Its getting ridiculous. I am so frustrated right now with everything going on with Halladay and all the trade talks and just another win turned into a loss because we cant finish games. If our bullpen didn't blow so many leads we would either be leading the division or at least within about two to three games of the lead. I love our releif pitchers but it just seems like everytime they blow it. And for the record at this point I would be willing to trade Vernon Wells for like a pack of gum and some toothpicks. He is the most ineffective human on this planet. He misses the whole Boston series with a "minor stomach ailment" Then he comes back today and blows everyhing up. Most of this talk is just me being frustrated but seriously when you lose to the second worst team in baseball because Scott Downs can't close a game and Lyle Overbay doesn't know how to throw a ball its just god awful and makes me want to punch something.

Twitchy
07-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Does this team just freaking want to lose.

It's just you.

I swear to god it seems like every time we have a late lead someone from the bullpen comes in and blows it. None of our players like to get hits towards the end of the game. I would like to know how many games our bullpen has lost this year.

I know, right. Rolen getting a home run with a tie game in the 7th was unclutch. Scott Downs is responsible for tonight's loss because by inducing a ground ball he forced Overbay to miss the throw to second. And then Downs got Choo to ground out weakly. And struck out Hafner. And got another ground ball out.

Sorry, defense let Downs down tonight.

Cito Gaston seems clueless if hes putting in Millar and Bautista and Dellucci all the time. Not as much Bautista though because he is a solid player from time to time. Its getting ridiculous. I am so frustrated right now with everything going on with Halladay and all the trade talks and just another win turned into a loss because we cant finish games.

And Cito is supposed to put whom instead of Millar, Bautista (who owns lefties) and Dellucci? McDonald? Chavez? Blame JP for not having any adequate bench players, but Cito can only play the guys on the roster.

If our bullpen didn't blow so many leads we would either be leading the division or at least within about two to three games of the lead. I love our releif pitchers but it just seems like everytime they blow it.

Downs has done a great job closing games though. The bullpen isn't as good as last year, but it's still middle of the pack. I don't think we'd be 8 games better with an improved bullpen. Nobody in the bullpen outside of Downs and maybe Frasor has been worth 1 win this deep into the year, so it's a stretch to suggest that they've cost us 8 wins.

And for the record at this point I would be willing to trade Vernon Wells for like a pack of gum and some toothpicks. He is the most ineffective human on this planet. He misses the whole Boston series with a "minor stomach ailment" Then he comes back today and blows everyhing up. Most of this talk is just me being frustrated but seriously when you lose to the second worst team in baseball because Scott Downs can't close a game and Lyle Overbay doesn't know how to throw a ball its just god awful and makes me want to punch something.

I don't disagree with the Wells stuff, but:

A) This loss isn't Downs fault. He got some key strikeouts, kept the ball on the ground, and wasn't hit hard on anything outside of the Martinez at bat (and Martinez shouldn't have hit with anybody on base, had Overbay not ****ed up the inning).

B) Downs has been nearly flawless as a closer. Blame the other guys in the pen (Carlson, Camp), but Downs has done a hell of a job.

JaysFan87
07-21-2009, 11:54 PM
your crazy......

ink
07-22-2009, 01:28 AM
Good post, Twitchy.