PDA

View Full Version : Are the Dallas Mavericks Title Contenders Next Season?

JordansBulls
07-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Are the Dallas Mavericks Title Contenders Next Season or do they still need another piece?

Dallas Mavericks

PG Jason Kidd / J.J. Barea / Rodrigue Beaubois
SG Josh Howard / Jason Terry / Matt Carroll
SF Shawn Marion / Quinton Ross / Shawne Williams
PF Dirk Nowitzki / Kris Humphries / Tim Thomas
C Erick Dampier / Nathan Jawai / Drew Gooden

Wilson
07-21-2009, 03:41 PM
Absolutely. They can score on anyone, and that line-up should play some great team defense. I wouldn't be that suprised if they took a championship.

B.JenningsMVP
07-21-2009, 03:42 PM
If they upgrade at the center position then they are among the elite teams of the leauge.
But the teams looks very good right now, wouldnt be surprised if they make a big run during the playoffs

jdricks
07-21-2009, 03:43 PM
If they trade Erick Dampier and his super expiring for Chandler or Dalembert (and change) they would be the best team in the NBA IMO.

Zefflin
07-21-2009, 03:44 PM
Of coarse they're contenders but you gotta think about it this way...they're not gonna be that much better just by adding the Matrix. Sure it will get them a few more W's but they are in the West, I still think the Spurs and LA are the big dogs over there. The Mavs are in the class of the Jazz (depending on who they get for Booze) the Hornets, and Portland in the west, so interchangable...I like the Mavs, anything can happen though..

Hustla23
07-21-2009, 03:45 PM
Hell to the yes.

Kakaroach
07-21-2009, 03:54 PM
Yes they can most definitely contend for a title this season. The addition of Shawn Marion is obviously huge but I think they really could have used Marcin Gortat or should have re-signed Brandon Bass. If they had one of those guys, they could have been the top team in the west.

MiamiHeat
07-21-2009, 03:55 PM
yeah but they won't win the West

Fmartinez86
07-21-2009, 03:56 PM
heck yea they are i think one of the best three teams in the west as of right now it would be the lakers and spurs the best followed by the mavs but the thing about the mavs is that they can take it to both spurs and lakers so its gonna def be a ***** to beat them for either team i cant wait for the nba next season so many teams that can compete

Ace33Bone
07-21-2009, 03:59 PM
they are definitely contenders... I still do not think they have what it takes to get past LA or the spurs as of right now but they definitely will give either of those teams a push I think LA is still pound for pound the best in the west

Lone Maverick
07-21-2009, 04:02 PM
I'd say contenders....yeah but will they win it? Who knows. Depends on what they do with Buckner's contract honestly.

Dirty30
07-21-2009, 04:03 PM
Eh i guess so. They need a center badly though but i bet mark cuban is working on that problem right now. Imagine if they somehow got chandler, kidd would average like 5 alley oops a game!!!!!

Wilson
07-21-2009, 04:12 PM
If they trade Erick Dampier and his super expiring for Chandler or Dalembert (and change) they would be the best team in the NBA IMO.

Chandler would be awesome for them.

Eh i guess so. They need a center badly though but i bet mark cuban is working on that problem right now. Imagine if they somehow got chandler, kidd would average like 5 alley oops a game!!!!!

They don't need a center badly. With that line-up, all they need at the center position is defense and rebounding. Dampier can give them that.

slaker619
07-21-2009, 04:13 PM
Yes But They Need A Real C To Win It

Joshtd1
07-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Yes

raptors_fanatic
07-21-2009, 04:35 PM
starters look nice and so do the back-up GUARDS.....however the frontcourt bench is ugly (i would knw because ur backup PF and C came from "my team")

however i do expect more moves obviously

superkegger
07-21-2009, 04:53 PM
No. They're a tough out in the playoffs, but not a true title contender.

st3voness
07-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Contenders? Yes. But with this current lineup, I see us losing to LA or SA in the WCF. For us to be serious contenders, we need to accomplish the following:

Make Good Use of the MLE. Since Marcin Gortat's offer was matched by the Orlando Magic, Dallas retained their full MLE. However, there is no speculation on what we possibly will do with it. The quality free agents seem to be signing with other teams quickly, leaving a narrow list for Dallas to choose from.
personal opinion: von wafer, drew gooden, rashad mccants, stromile swift, or lamar odom.

Greg Buckner's Contract. a la ``The Buck Shot``. Buckner's contract is structured the same way Jerry Stackhouse's contract was built. ``The Stack Chip`` got us the Matrix, Shawn Marion; The Buck Shot is half the value of the Stack Chip, but if used in the right package (JJB, Humphries, Williams?), can bring Dallas another quality player in the $6-9M range. All we need is a willing team that is looking to shed some salary.

mrblisterdundee
07-21-2009, 06:48 PM
As long as Dirk is the leader, then the team isn't tough enough to win a championship.

LakersSaintsLSU
07-21-2009, 06:54 PM
What do u guys even watch basketball????..........o lord everytime i hear this
what makes them title contenders shawn marion???? Talk about fanhood u guys have none

JordansBulls
07-21-2009, 07:18 PM
Contenders? Yes. But with this current lineup, I see us losing to LA or SA in the WCF. For us to be serious contenders, we need to accomplish the following:

Make Good Use of the MLE. Since Marcin Gortat's offer was matched by the Orlando Magic, Dallas retained their full MLE. However, there is no speculation on what we possibly will do with it. The quality free agents seem to be signing with other teams quickly, leaving a narrow list for Dallas to choose from.
personal opinion: von wafer, drew gooden, rashad mccants, stromile swift, or lamar odom.

Greg Buckner's Contract. a la ``The Buck Shot``. Buckner's contract is structured the same way Jerry Stackhouse's contract was built. ``The Stack Chip`` got us the Matrix, Shawn Marion; The Buck Shot is half the value of the Stack Chip, but if used in the right package (JJB, Humphries, Williams?), can bring Dallas another quality player in the $6-9M range. All we need is a willing team that is looking to shed some salary.

Why not get Drew Gooden for Center?

BkOriginalOne
07-21-2009, 07:33 PM
They are a nice deep team. The problem is that Kidd is too old to guard premier point guards (we saw what Cp3 did 2 years ago).
And I just don't think Josh Howard and Jason Terry are winners.

BkOriginalOne
07-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Not to mention they are about 5 team who they can't get past.

S-Dot
07-21-2009, 07:34 PM
seeds 4-7 definitely in the west. They will be a tough second round match though, could possibly make it to the WCF

Sports Illustrator
07-21-2009, 07:41 PM
They are definitely a championship contending team by all means. They should be giving their opposition tons of headaches. The addition of Shawn Marion really makes a different believe it or not. If they could just get a nice defensive Center, they would be even better. It is just too bad for the Dallas Mavericks that Gortat ended up signing with the Orlando Magic.

Mark Cuban has really done a great job in putting this team together. He is one of the GMs in the game that works the hardest. His hard work certainly pays off.

Missing56&33
07-21-2009, 07:43 PM
:laugh2:...no ....think they were soft last year...without Bass they're like melted butter. Why did they do that? Oh ..I forgot they still got Dampier and grandpa Kidd :laugh:

DAL*CWB
07-21-2009, 07:54 PM
not as long as damp is the starting 5

Grim Reaper
07-21-2009, 08:01 PM
They very well could be. They got 2 guys on the bench that could be starters on a bunch of NBA teams in Jason Terry and either Josh Howard or Shawn Marion. They could be very tough next year. Scary good.

dre1990
07-21-2009, 08:05 PM
They have 2 problems. No center, and their bench is kinda week outside of Jet and JJ IMO

AutomaticWeezy
07-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Yes They have a veteran team and they are athletic at the wing positions, and they have a solid starter for every position

ManRam
07-21-2009, 08:17 PM
2nd tier. If they upgrade at center, which is definitely possible, they might crack the first tier with ORL, LA, BOS, CLE, SA and DEN.

Besides Dirk, I don't like their front court...starters or bench. And considering how big Boston is, LA is, Cleveland is...and even Orlando, I think that's their Achilles heel.

thedfactor
07-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Yes they are actually contenders. Only the Lakers with Lamar Odom will definitely beat this Dallas team. I Still think the Mavs could oust the Spurs even with Jefferson and MCDyess. Dallas has had their number more than any team the past 4 years. Denver is tough always, but adding Marion helps what Dallas lacked against the Nuggets last season.

That said, I believe to be true title worthy Dampier cannot be the starter, need an upgrade. Also a natural star shooting guard would improve Dallas greatly. A player who can shoot, create own shot, and get to the line at will...would benefit the team and Dirk especially.

With Kevin Martin supposedly on the block more than he's ever been, Dallas should jolt at the opportunity. Possibly even work in Spencer Hawes, whose been having issues with the team during the summer, and that would solve two weak spots.

Martin, Hawes, Udrih for Howard, Barea, Humphries, Williams. If I'm Dallas I might even offer the DUST Chip as a last resort.

twoearl
07-21-2009, 08:41 PM
in a word. NO

JJ_JKidd
07-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Yes they can most definitely contend for a title this season. The addition of Shawn Marion is obviously huge but I think they really could have used Marcin Gortat or should have re-signed Brandon Bass. If they had one of those guys, they could have been the top team in the west.

If Gortat and Bass were in the team, maybe the WCF but if there is NO SIGNIFICANT upgrade in the Center, another 2nd round exit maybe. I support the Mavs by the way. Cmon, the considered "contenders" have the ff post presence:

LA - Pau
Spurs - Timmy
Magic - Howard
Celtics - KG

Yes They have a veteran team and they are athletic at the wing positions, and they have a solid starter for every position

Dampier's solid eh? How about trading him for Nene then? :smoking:

st3voness
07-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Why not get Drew Gooden for Center?

Sure, Gooden could play some minutes at the 5, but that's not his true position. Hell, I'd sign Drew Gooden just to improve our bench and play back-up PF.

RLundi
07-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Simply put: No.

blah-blah
07-21-2009, 09:51 PM
definetly if they mesh and i think they could easily be contenders if they trade either terry or J-HO for a starting C

Spurred1
07-21-2009, 11:19 PM
Ehhh-no. They need a center who qualifies as "living." Dampier might meet that qualification now since this is a contract year for him, but they cannot seriously contend with him as the starting center. He would make a fine backup center.

JordansBulls
07-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Sure, Gooden could play some minutes at the 5, but that's not his true position. Hell, I'd sign Drew Gooden just to improve our bench and play back-up PF.

Then what is the hold up at this point now that Gortat resigned with Orlando?

UofA
07-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Need another big, if every other top team didn't get even more stacked this off season they definitely would be, but I think they need one more piece to be a legit contender

UofA
07-22-2009, 05:54 PM
definetly if they mesh and i think they could easily be contenders if they trade either terry or J-HO for a starting C

You have thee largest sig...

JuliusCaesar
07-22-2009, 06:10 PM
Dallas has no chance....they are a team full of chokers... Dirk isn't clutch, as we already saw in the finals.

Definitely will have no chance unless they sign a real big man. Dirk as your pf =girly team w/ no defense. And Dampier doesn't even count as a real center. Might as well have eddy curry

broncofangene
07-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Too old too slow. NO WAY

Callenx5
07-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Their contenders but with the exception of Dirk and terry. those other players are no where to be found in crunch time. Kidd is past his prime I don't think they would win a championship.

mdabstar
07-22-2009, 07:05 PM
no. they weren't contenders last year, just adding the matrix isnt going to turn them into one. the western conference is becoming better too.

BradHolt4CYoung
07-22-2009, 07:20 PM
If they don't win a ring do any of you see Dirk opting out of his contract making him a 2010 FA. Dirk is signed thru 2011, but he has a Early Termination Options so he can opt out in 2010 if he wants. he is owed $21.5mil in 2010/2011. any chance he opts out in 2010?

Hawkeye15
07-22-2009, 07:21 PM
as has been said here, they are just too thin in the frontcourt. Dirk is not a banger, and they have nobody to stop the Gasol/Duncan/KG/Dwight, etc.

STL/Mizzou/DZ
07-22-2009, 07:39 PM
C Erick Dampier will never win a title he is trash

mason c
07-22-2009, 07:46 PM
no way there not even the best team in there division

cr00zi3
07-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Yes. But i say they should get better big men.

JordansBulls
07-22-2009, 09:47 PM
C Erick Dampier will never win a title he is trash

Well not as the best frontcourt player.

NYtilIdie
07-22-2009, 09:51 PM
When Kobe retires that will be the day the Mav's will be considered serious title contenders

thedfactor
07-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Definitely need to address the shooting guard spot, center, or both to really be considered a serious threat. They are an improved team though from last year's group. Swapping Stackhouse, George, and Wright for Marion, Ross, Humphries, and Jawai is an upgrade. Losing Bass does sting I must say, but Hump is no slouch.

JordansBulls
07-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Now with Drew Gooden that changes things a bit.

blacknell
07-26-2009, 11:08 PM
if they had a center they could make a real push to win it all

JordansBulls
07-31-2009, 06:49 PM
if they had a center they could make a real push to win it all

Would Leon Powe work?

Patriots
07-31-2009, 07:04 PM
they need a center dampier suck now..

Lakersfan2483
07-31-2009, 08:01 PM
Are the Dallas Mavericks Title Contenders Next Season or do they still need another piece?

Dallas Mavericks

PG Jason Kidd / J.J. Barea / Rodrigue Beaubois
SG Josh Howard / Jason Terry / Matt Carroll
SF Shawn Marion / Quinton Ross / Shawne Williams
PF Dirk Nowitzki / Kris Humphries
C Erick Dampier / Nathan Jawai

No, they still aren't stong enough in the frontcourt and are behind teams like LA, Denver and San Antonio. They have definitely improved, but are still a player or two away from really contending.

Storch
07-31-2009, 08:13 PM
As long as Dallas is led by Dirk, they're not good enough to win the ship.

tland22
07-31-2009, 08:20 PM
im sorry but they still cant and WONT be able to beat the Hornets. They cant beat them in a series if it ev er came down to it like it did two years ago in the playoffs. They will finish lower than New Orleans but higher than the Jazz and Higher than Portland

tland22
07-31-2009, 08:21 PM
dallas always had a good team on paper...but that doesnt mean jakc obviously. Ousted by GSW and ousted by Hornets....beat up a beat down injured Spurs team that anyone could have beaten. They have zero chemistry....in my opinion

zachattach
07-31-2009, 08:29 PM
I don't think they are. I don't think they can beat the Blazers, Nuggets, SA, or the Lakers in a 7 games series (and that's just out west). In they East the wouldn't be able to beat Cleveland, Orl, or Boston. NO they can't contend.

Fire Girardi
07-31-2009, 08:34 PM
ok the ppl that voted yes are complete morons that kno nothing about basketball

Tommyh1331
07-31-2009, 08:39 PM
If by a miracle that Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant, Brandon Roy get hurt then yes until then the Mavs are the 4th best team in the West!

arkanian215
07-31-2009, 09:16 PM
i dont see why not. The southwest: Dallas Houston Memphis New Orleans San Antonio. san antonio improved the most and new orleans improved a little bit. memphis got an post scorer and could really surprise people this year. houston looks to finish last in their division.

Brooklyn Mets
07-31-2009, 09:42 PM
they need better big men.. losing bass was huge..

JordansBulls
08-01-2009, 04:30 PM

He didn't do much with them.

clehmun
08-01-2009, 04:48 PM
kidd-howard-marion-dirk-gooden-terry

thats a nice 6 man combo right there. depends on how they play together.
this team would normally be a legit championship contender. but this is a crazy year when you got 4-5 teams with 5-6 great players on their teams.

we're so used to talking about big 3s, and fantastic 4s, but this year, you got the lakers, celtics, magic, spurs, etc all with 5-6 legit players.

drobe86
08-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Somebody please explain how Portland is better than the Mavs and we beat them 4-0 in the season series last year? Also how is San Antonio better when we disposed of those guys in 5 games in the playoffs? Sometimes I wonder if you people even watch the games. Most of you watch the box score and BSPN

drobe86
08-01-2009, 05:19 PM

Bass isn't even a big man at 6'7 and he only averaged 8 pts and 4 rebs. Gooden Avg. 12 pts 8 rebs. I think its safe to say hes replaced.......

drobe86
08-01-2009, 05:23 PM
If by a miracle that Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant, Brandon Roy get hurt then yes until then the Mavs are the 4th best team in the West!

My your memory is short. Poor old Tim Duncan lost in 5 games in the playoffs last year to the Mavs and it was 70-38 at the half in game 5. Sorry we own the Spurs just go back to our recent history since '06. You gotta watch a game at some point, doesn't seem like you have. As for Brandon Roy are you serious? He couldn't will his team to beat a Houston team that had not made it out of the first round since what '95 lol.... Portland is garbage and we also showed you that a year ago by pulling out our brooms and sweeping them.

obrpunk
08-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Contenders I think so but in no way the favorites. Everyone has said it already, they need a better center, but with all the talent on this team they may be able to compensate.

BlondeBomber41
08-01-2009, 06:21 PM
LA is the only team out West that scares me.

We have owned San Antonio and Portland the last couple years. San Antonio hasn't been able to beat us consistently since 2005. Portland we swept.

It would be nice to add a real good center, but there aren't alot of centers in the West or in the NBA period so its not as big of a concern. Yao and Shaq are both gone from the West.

#1Mavericksfan
08-01-2009, 07:29 PM

This post is is just funny....I don't even know why you said Tim Duncan name like the Mavs haven't owned the Spurs in the playoffs when they where healthy and hurt, the Mavs owned the Blazers last season so why even say them, as for the Lakers....why does everybody think the Mavs don't have a chance in hell to beat them?....the Mavs have always played the Lakers close the Mavs just couldn't finish, the Mavs got Marion and as I remember the Lakers never had a answer for him in the lopsided Lakers vs. Suns playoffs battles....the Mavs are a big man away from being contenders.

DCB/LAL
08-01-2009, 07:35 PM
ok the ppl that voted yes are complete morons that kno nothing about basketball

Why because they think the Mavs are Title contenders??? The Mavs have a good team who can be considered Title contenders doesn't mean their Favorites but can Definitely be considered "Title Contenders" as are the Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Cavs, and Magic!!

clehmun
08-01-2009, 09:27 PM
mavs fans saying they owned the spurs last year. but don't you realize they were missing ginobili?

now i'm not arguing whos the better team this year, i understand arguments for both teams. but mavs fans gotta realize last year they did not beat the spurs at their best, and this year they added jefferson, mcdyess, and a healthy ginobili. so last year's series can't really be used as an argument of why the mavs are better this upcoming year.

people may think jefferson's not a great player. but believe me, pop is a great coach, he somehow gets the best out of all his players.
roger mason and bonner were bench players in toronto (a lottery team), but somehow got the starting job in SA and did great.
i believe pop can turn jefferson into a great player as well.

GeorgeMcCloud21
08-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Of course they are..it doesn't mean they are better than LA but anything can happen in the playoffs. They are the #2 team in the West just ahead of the Spurs and Nuggets but those two teams need more depth to truly contend imo....

Nowitzki
Marion
Howard
Kidd
Terry
Gooden
Damp
Beaubois
Ross
Barea
Thomas
:D

LO re-signing with the Lakers keeps LA on top tho

#1Mavericksfan
08-01-2009, 09:56 PM
mavs fans saying they owned the spurs last year. but don't you realize they were missing ginobili? now i'm not arguing whos the better team this year, i understand arguments for both teams. but mavs fans gotta realize last year they did not beat the spurs at their best, and this year they added jefferson, mcdyess, and a healthy ginobili. so last year's series can't really be used as an argument of why the mavs are better this upcoming year.

people may think jefferson's not a great player. but believe me, pop is a great coach, he somehow gets the best out of all his players.
roger mason and bonner were bench players in toronto (a lottery team), but somehow got the starting job in SA and did great.
i believe pop can turn jefferson into a great player as well.

All us Mavs fans know the Spurs didn't have Manu in that series but there was still people picking the Mavs to loose that series.....oh and on top of that people are forgetting the Josh Howard wasn't healthy either in that series, we all know Pop is a great coach and nobody it taking that away from him, the Mavs got better to by getting Kidd back and adding Marion, Gooden, Thomas and the defensive specialist Quinton Ross to the team.

Trouble87
08-01-2009, 10:05 PM
I think they are... time is running out for Dirk, Kidd, Terry, and Howard

I can see them breaking up the core if they dont at least make it to the finals

DCB/LAL
08-01-2009, 10:12 PM
This post is is just funny....I don't even know why you said Tim Duncan name like the Mavs haven't owned the Spurs in the playoffs when they where healthy and hurt, the Mavs owned the Blazers last season so why even say them, as for the Lakers....why does everybody think the Mavs don't have a chance in hell to beat them?....the Mavs have always played the Lakers close the Mavs just couldn't finish, the Mavs got Marion and as I remember the Lakers never had a answer for him in the lopsided Lakers vs. Suns playoffs battles....the Mavs are a big man away from being contenders.

Hmm.....Odom owned Marion so idk what your talking about??? :shrug:

Thats one of the reasons the Suns had trouble with the Lakers few years back when they pushed them to 7!!

thedfactor
08-01-2009, 10:31 PM
They can compete for a title next year

But I believe we are one piece, center, away from saying we will be title contenders

And the whole Spurs/Mavs series last season without Manu...realize Spurs fans that even without him you were going up against an average Dallas team anyway. It wasn't like we were exceptionally better and highly favored to do anything in the playoffs. Still end up winning 4-1 rather convincingly.

BlondeBomber41
08-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Hmm.....Odom owned Marion so idk what your talking about??? :shrug:

Thats one of the reasons the Suns had trouble with the Lakers few years back when they pushed them to 7!!

Actually I'm guessing the biggest problem was the absence of Amare Stoudamire... not Lamar Odom.

MacFitz92
08-01-2009, 10:54 PM
You need to add Tim Thomas and Drew Gooden to that lineup.

mcgswfan
08-01-2009, 10:56 PM
The Mavs are a very good team, but not contenders.

Kobe4Life
08-01-2009, 11:04 PM

Over the lakers? And not just because im a laker fan thats so ******** best team LOL, Kobe, Artest , Lamar , Gasol , Bynum over that anyday are u joking Me LOLLLLLLLLLLLL

This is the lakers league for the next few years gentlemen, so strap on the seatbelt and hope around 2013-2014 you guys might get a shot around then.

st3voness
08-01-2009, 11:07 PM
Over the lakers? And not just because im a laker fan thats so ******** best team LOL, Kobe, Artest , Lamar , Gasol , Bynum over that anyday are u joking Me LOLLLLLLLLLLLL

This is the lakers league for the next few years gentlemen, so strap on the seatbelt and hope around 2013-2014 you guys might get a shot around then.

And besides those 5, you have who? Oh yeah, nobody.

BlondeBomber41
08-01-2009, 11:11 PM

After those 5 you have pretty much the worst players in the NBA all bunched up. Fisher wasnt very good last year and is a year older, Farmar, Vujacic, Josh Powell, DJ Mbenga, Luke Walton.... stellar backups you got there.

shep33
08-01-2009, 11:12 PM
Well you gotta define a "contender". IMO, i think they're the 4th best team in the west behind LA, San Antonio and Denver... and maybe even Portland if they can grow up (Miller, Roy, Outlaw, Aldridge, Oden, Pryzbilla, etc.). They're still not better than Boston, Cleveland, or Orlando either. I say no just in my opinion though.

SpursRedemption
08-01-2009, 11:14 PM

hahaa, thee Mavericks on their DADDY the SPURS? lay off the crack homeboy. You an your boyfriend with cowboy logo are funny! How many rings yall got? Hmmm lets see,... 0!! Ohh yaa Tim Duncan has umm 4?! 3 finals MVP 2x league MVP 12 time AllStar. Yall Mavs people are weak, trust me Gooden isnt good! So should be fairly easy to toy around with yalls ***** bigs. Yall beat us 4-1 without manu so congratulations! We will handle yall easily WITHOUT any problems this year!! Funny how yall lil Dallas fans think your a title contender. Only thing your stupid city is good for is thr Cowboys. But always remeber when somebody says that Nba team in Texas, SAN ANTONIO SPURS will always come 1st. So have fun thinking of a possibility of a ring, byeeee :)

JordansBulls
08-01-2009, 11:29 PM
You need to add Tim Thomas and Drew Gooden to that lineup.

Thanks

Spurred1
08-01-2009, 11:42 PM
hahaa, thee Mavericks on their DADDY the SPURS? lay off the crack homeboy. You an your boyfriend with cowboy logo are funny! How many rings yall got? Hmmm lets see,... 0!! Ohh yaa Tim Duncan has umm 4?! 3 finals MVP 2x league MVP 12 time AllStar. Yall Mavs people are weak, trust me Gooden isnt good! So should be fairly easy to toy around with yalls ***** bigs. Yall beat us 4-1 without manu so congratulations! We will handle yall easily WITHOUT any problems this year!! Funny how yall lil Dallas fans think your a title contender. Only thing your stupid city is good for is thr Cowboys. But always remeber when somebody says that Nba team in Texas, SAN ANTONIO SPURS will always come 1st. So have fun thinking of a possibility of a ring, byeeee :)

It is very difficult to tell what your point is with that embarrassingly written post. The Spurs/Mavs have always given each other a good fight-regular season and playoffs. There really is no way you can predict the outcomes of any games between the two-my guess is neither team will toy with the other without problems.

DCB/LAL
08-01-2009, 11:44 PM
After those 5 you have pretty much the worst players in the NBA all bunched up. Fisher wasnt very good last year and is a year older, Farmar, Vujacic, Josh Powell, DJ Mbenga, Luke Walton.... stellar backups you got there.

Hmm....Name 7th 8th 9th and 10th options that are alot better??? If i remember correctly this Laker bench with Farmar Vujacic and Walton and others was at one time considered one of the best benches in the NBA!!!

Plus remember usually PJ has Lamar out there with either Gasol, Bynum, Bryant and im sure Artest will also have his turn so bench can't be that bad seeing as how this team is one of the highest scoring teams in the League!!!

cmellofan15
08-02-2009, 12:30 AM
Maybe. Mav's are good, but not that good right now. Kidd will not be a playmaker because of old age, and I'm not sold on their chemistry yet. They have as good of a chance as the Nuggets do, only reason Denver might have a better chance is because of out momentum.

shep33
08-02-2009, 12:56 AM
IMO at BEST they're the 7th best team in the league. LA, San Antonio, Denver, Cleveland, Boston, and Orlando are all easily better.

tp13baby
08-02-2009, 01:21 AM
i think dallas gets the fifth seed.
they are behind the lakers spurs nuggets and maybe portland.
and they are not better than orlando boston cleveland.
i dont think one trade can change a 4-0 sweep by denver to a series win for dallas.
and denver had only 2 players that ever played thaat far in the playoffs.
and denver lost to the lakers in 6 games.
the lakers got better. dallas wont get passed the second round.

BlondeBomber41
08-02-2009, 02:03 AM
The truth is nobody knows yet. There is no yes or no answer here.

Nobody knows if whether Shawn Marion has slowed down or if all he needs is a different situation and a guy like Jason Kidd to get back to his 20/10 All Star self.

Nobody knows whether a healthy Josh Howard will come back, or how he will do next to Shawn Marion as a 2 guard.

Nobody knows how well guys like Drew Gooden, Tim Thomas and Kris Humphries will impact the frontcourt.

Nobody knows what else they will do with the roster before the season. They still have a really nice trade piece in Buckners non guaranteed contract and they have about 16 or 17 guaranteed contracts right now. Its almost a certainty that they swing a 3 or 4 for 1 type deal before the season starts, and that player will most likely be a impact type of guy. Hopefully a center, but it will be someone good.

One thing I do know is they will almost always win the rebounding battle with the lineup they are gonna use. Kidd is the best rebounding PG in the league, Josh Howard is a very good rebounder, Marion is one of the best in the league, and Dirk as well. Thats not even counting the boards by Erick Dampier, Drew Gooden, and Tim Thomas.

They should be a pretty solid defensive team with Rick Carlisle coaching and guys like Jason Kidd, Josh Howard, Shawn Marion, and Dirk Nowitzki, who is always gonna be looked at by people who dont really know as a soft defender but he has improved by leaps and bounds. At the very least he is no longer a liability, and he has shown to be solid at guarding other teams scoring bigs.

They should score more than last year with the addition of Marion, Gooden and Thomas. Having Marion will lead to more fastbreak buckets and transition opportunities and more easy buckets.

If it all comes together, they can certainly contend. If it doesnt they could certainly end up just another middle of the pack team.

To say yes or no though at this point is stupid.

TOO SHORT
08-02-2009, 02:07 AM
easy nope !!! :D

BlondeBomber41
08-02-2009, 02:10 AM
i think dallas gets the fifth seed.
they are behind the lakers spurs nuggets and maybe portland.
and they are not better than orlando boston cleveland.
i dont think one trade can change a 4-0 sweep by denver to a series win for dallas.
and denver had only 2 players that ever played thaat far in the playoffs.
and denver lost to the lakers in 6 games.
the lakers got better. dallas wont get passed the second round.

Actually was 4-1, and should of been at the very least 4-2 but the refs messed up a call that gave Denver a win. Thats not me saying that because Im a Mavs fan, its me saying that because its true. The NBA even apologized for it.

azkarraga
08-02-2009, 02:28 AM
As long as Dirk is the leader, then the team isn't tough enough to win a championship.

?????????? lol

JordansBulls
08-02-2009, 10:34 AM

:pity:

cowboyz180
08-02-2009, 11:01 AM
yes they are easily contenders... i think they can beat the spurs in the playoffs but not the Lakers

st3voness
08-02-2009, 11:46 AM
It's funny how these Spurs fans think that their talented roster ON PAPER will be all healthy by the post-season. Ginobili will get hurt again, Duncan showed signs of aging against Dallas last season (he's declining), and Richard Jefferson will ruin the chemistry of the team because he is nothing but a volume scorer.

The only person I have respect for is Tony Parker. Dude carries the team and stays healthy to be on the court as much as possible.

Sorry SA, Jefferson and a 36-year-old McDyess isn't going to solve your problems with injuries and inability to consistently beat Dallas.

Toenail Clipper
08-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Clippers can be title contenders, not Mavericks.
I just don't feel Kidd's game anymore