Tommyh1331
07-20-2009, 11:36 PM
Barnes to ACTUALLY sign deal with Orlando Magic

Sources: Magic, Barnes close
Comment Email Print Share
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
Archive

The Orlando Magic's active offseason continued Monday when they closed in on a deal to sign free-agent forward Matt Barnes, according to sources with knowledge of the talks.

One source told ESPN.com that Barnes and the Magic have agreed in principle on a two-year deal for an undisclosed amount that could be announced as early as Tuesday.

Since reaching the NBA Finals for just the second time in franchise history, Orlando has traded for former All-Star swingman Vince Carter, signed free-agent forward Brandon Bass, matched a five-year, $34 million offer sheet to restricted free agent Marcin Gortat and pursued Barnes to join a group of newcomers that also includes Ryan Anderson from the Carter trade.

Barnes, 29, averaged 10.2 points, 5.5 rebounds and 2.8 assists last season for Phoenix and is regarded as a versatile player off the bench who can guard forwards of all sizes and make the occasional 3-point shot.

The Magic began the week with roughly $1.9 million left from their $5.9 million mid-level exception after signing Bass.

With Hedo Turkoglu leaving in free agency to sign with the Toronto Raptors and Orlando forced to sacrifice Courtney Lee, Tony Battie and Rafer Alston in the Carter trade, last season's Eastern Conference champions will have a decidedly different look next season.

But Magic general manager Otis Smith has been unafraid to aggressively re-shape the supporting cast around his All-Star trio of Dwight Howard, Rashard Lewis and Jameer Nelson, undoubtedly aware that the Los Angeles Lakers were the first NBA team since the Detroit Pistons in 1989 to lose in the NBA Finals and come back to win the championship in the following season.

bostncelts34
07-20-2009, 11:37 PM
rich keep getting richer lol

lorenz00
07-20-2009, 11:38 PM
I heard that Vince Carter and Dwight Howard were going to have a dunk contest while they are playing Toronto this year...why?? Because Toronto is allergic to defense!... wow wat a major dish against the toronto raptors.. we'll see when they face each other..

*Superman*
07-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Just posted this in the Magic forum lol.

What does this mean about CJ Watson??

Actual link
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4342767

Edit: CJ Watson http://www.contracostatimes.com/warriors/ci_12879691?nclick_check=1

plpfctn
07-20-2009, 11:41 PM
now it's:

1. Magic
2. Cavs
3. Celtics

st3voness
07-20-2009, 11:41 PM
If Orlando acquires Barnes, I'll put them #1 on my list.

Kakaroach
07-20-2009, 11:43 PM
Wow this would be a great signing for the Magic. Another great role wing player. Smith is pulling out all of the stops this off-season for sure.

*Superman*
07-20-2009, 11:56 PM
CJ Watson + Matt Barnes on Magic = Even more trouble for other teams.

spurs4#5
07-21-2009, 12:02 AM
i dont know magic fans??? there's alot of things changing for a finals team that really didnt lose that bad to the lakers....dont get me wrong their getting good players but their breaking up chemistry that got them to the finals....lost hedo (real mvp of the team) alston (point guard who got them there) lee (ya'll had to be sad about this...guy had extreme potential) got back carter(cant deny greatness but wont be the same as hedo was to the team) bass(great back up pf) anderson(unproven until season starts..but looking good) its all about chemistry and yall just lost a big core of that...hopefully yall r contenders again

ko8e24
07-21-2009, 12:06 AM
the deepest team in the association, hands down! if there is good chemistry with carter involved (meaning not jacking up 20 foot jumpers like no other), they will make it back to the finals to once again represent the East

*Superman*
07-21-2009, 12:07 AM
The Boston Celtics managed to do it, I think we can handle it too.

Tommyh1331
07-21-2009, 12:08 AM
I think Carter will play one of his best season's ever this year!! I think with him being home and playing for a NBA title will humble him and carry this team to the promise land!

spurs4#5
07-21-2009, 12:09 AM
i hope they do ive always liked the magic since the shaq penny anderson days

Tommyh1331
07-21-2009, 12:09 AM
The Boston Celtics managed to do it, I think we can handle it too.

good point!! Look at the Lakers, Pistons of the past, celts, spurs...No "I" in team!!

B.JenningsMVP
07-21-2009, 12:14 AM
magic lookin hella scary right now lol

*Superman*
07-21-2009, 12:15 AM
This is gonna be one hell of a season, Lakers got Artest, Cavs got Shaq, Magic got VC.

Its just which GM makes the better overall team.

Tommyh1331
07-21-2009, 12:18 AM
I have never seen a Magic team this deep...Ever!! Even when we had Shaq, penny, horace, Nick Anderson and 3-D we did not have a deep bench and last year's bench was ok but nothing like this year!!

KmB728
07-21-2009, 12:19 AM
This is gonna be one hell of a season, Lakers got Artest, Cavs got Shaq, Magic got VC.

Its just which GM makes the better overall team.

Celtics got Rasheed :cool:

spurs4#5
07-21-2009, 12:20 AM
cant forget about the spurs getting r.j. and dyss

ManRam
07-21-2009, 12:24 AM
Great singing. Can't have too much depth. I think this means no Watson, unless we make a trade for him (very possible). But either way, our bench is looking better and better as the days go by. I've always been a huge Otis supporter, and he's really making me happy these last few weeks.

Tommyh1331
07-21-2009, 12:27 AM
My top 5 right now in no order are

Boston Celtics
Cleveland Cavs
Los Angeles Lakers
Orlando Magic
San Antonio Spurs

Other teams close, but no cigar

Reasons why not in Top 5
Dallas Mavericks Josh Howard staying healthy..Getting older, no dominant big man.
Toronto Raptors Missing a true center, but good team Jarrett Jack helps them big time..very underated!
Chicago Same issue lack of big man depth! Reason they should have gone after Boozer
Portland Trailblazer Only real problem is they are very young, but very dangerously talented. I have them at 6 spot and that could change easily into top 5

*Superman*
07-21-2009, 12:49 AM
Celtics got Rasheed :cool:

cant forget about the spurs getting r.j. and dyss

Sorry forgot guys, but you are totally right. The Spurs have had a great off-season too, and i really wanted the Magic to get Wallace.

KmB728
07-21-2009, 01:06 AM
Sorry forgot guys, but you are totally right. The Spurs have had a great off-season too, and i really wanted the Magic to get Wallace.

I was just messin with ya :laugh:

If this goes through its a great signing for the Magic.. Barnes is a quality player to have on the bench

macc
07-21-2009, 01:23 AM
i dont know magic fans??? there's alot of things changing for a finals team that really didnt lose that bad to the lakers....dont get me wrong their getting good players but their breaking up chemistry that got them to the finals....lost hedo (real mvp of the team) alston (point guard who got them there) lee (ya'll had to be sad about this...guy had extreme potential) got back carter(cant deny greatness but wont be the same as hedo was to the team) bass(great back up pf) anderson(unproven until season starts..but looking good) its all about chemistry and yall just lost a big core of that...hopefully yall r contenders again

Ya I think all of us Magic fans are all a little bit nervous. Mainly because you watch your team play a certain way for so long but now you know your teams offense is going to look different. Hopefully thats going to be a good thing but reguardless you just want your team to live up to the hype it's been getting. In any case this has def been the best off season we've had in a looong time. Last decent one was when we got McGrady and Hill. Anyways go Magic!

*Superman*
07-21-2009, 01:29 AM
Agree, this season we have really upgraded then last season no doubt now. I just hope everything clicks now!

Tommyh1331
07-21-2009, 01:30 AM
Just found out through Orlando Sentinel

Report out of California: C.J. Watson wants a 3 year deal, will sign Magic offer sheet
posted by Tania Ganguli on Jul 20, 2009 11:50:20 PM
Discuss This: Comments (2) | TrackBack (0) | Linking Blogs | Add to del.icio.us | Digg it

The Oakland (Calif.) Tribune reached someone in Warriors point guard C.J. Watson's camp today and a source close to the negotiations told that paper Watson will sign the Magic's offer sheet. Apparently they spent all Monday trying to work out a deal.
Some other points of interest from the story:

- Watson turned down a one-year, $2.3 million deal from the Philadelphia 76ers

- He is hoping for a 3-year deal

- The Warriors, as a cost-cutting move, want 14 players instead of the maximum 15 on their roster.

Raph12
07-21-2009, 01:35 AM
Just found out through Orlando Sentinel

Report out of California: C.J. Watson wants a 3 year deal, will sign Magic offer sheet
posted by Tania Ganguli on Jul 20, 2009 11:50:20 PM
Discuss This: Comments (2) | TrackBack (0) | Linking Blogs | Add to del.icio.us | Digg it

The Oakland (Calif.) Tribune reached someone in Warriors point guard C.J. Watson's camp today and a source close to the negotiations told that paper Watson will sign the Magic's offer sheet. Apparently they spent all Monday trying to work out a deal.
Some other points of interest from the story:

- Watson turned down a one-year, $2.3 million deal from the Philadelphia 76ers

- He is hoping for a 3-year deal

- The Warriors, as a cost-cutting move, want 14 players instead of the maximum 15 on their roster.

Ye Superman quotes that on page one, but if you check the GS site that it`s origonally from it says this at the bottom also:

Watson's chances of reaching an agreement may be hindered by a possible deal between the Magic and Matt Barnes, reported Monday night by ESPN¸
http://www.insidebayarea.com/warriors/ci_12879691

Maybe a s&t with Redick is being discussed like Superman suggested

Tommyh1331
07-21-2009, 01:37 AM
Ye Superman quotes that on page one, but if you check the GS site that it`s origonally from it says this at the bottom also:

¸

Superman is probably right about that one, hell i would love to have CJ and Barnes and ditch JJ..:clap:

*Superman*
07-21-2009, 01:40 AM

¸

Superman is probably right about that one, hell i would love to have CJ and Barnes and ditch JJ..:clap:

How awesome would that be if i called it...Guys i have a confession to make... I am Otis Smith lol:D

Raph12
07-21-2009, 01:49 AM

Ye talk about two birds with one stone, get rid of an over 2m contract in JJ and get a less than 2m contract and a potent young player in CJ. This would work for both teams because GS gets an expiring contract in return, who I think would fit their run-and-gun style and Orlando gets their young backup point in Watson. The real question is this, will Watson want more money in a s&t and is Otis willing to pay more money than originally discussed

Raph12
07-21-2009, 01:52 AM
How awesome would that be if i called it...Guys i have a confession to make... I am Otis Smith lol:D

That would be quite the coincidence, because I'm Rich Devos, Tommy you be Bob Vander Weide lol

Tommyh1331
07-21-2009, 02:00 AM
lol

*Superman*
07-21-2009, 02:01 AM
That would be quite the coincidence, because I'm Rich Devos, Tommy you be Bob Vander Weide lol

I love it. lol, well i do wear glasses. lol

Raph12
07-21-2009, 02:09 AM
I love it. lol, well i do wear glasses. lol

I don't, but have tried some on, I look quite distinguished, can't say I look like Rich DeVos, but I do spend money like he does (of course my spending is more in thousands not hundreds of millions) I gotta say though alot of guys were on Otis' back about the sitting on Sheed thing and the overpaying of Lewis, but Otis kept his cool and has really delivered now it's upto SVG, Dwight and VC. Dwight needs to work on his offensive game (post moves and free throws), VC needs to do what's neccessary to mesh with the rest of the roster and SVG needs to put it all together to get them back to the Finals, but this time with better results.