PDA

View Full Version : Higher age limit for Nba Draft?

Hellcrooner
07-19-2009, 11:00 PM
http://www.marca.com/2009/07/20/futbol/futbol_internacional/1248040803.html

12 year older plays profesional soccer game in first liga in Bolivia.

Go Figure.

David Stern would go Crazy!!!

Raps18-19 Champ
07-19-2009, 11:03 PM
I can see Stern wants guys to improve in college instead of going straight to NBA from highschool to reduce the bust percentages but I say keep it at 19 but have a couple of expert scouts at a seperate camp where guys from high school can show their stuff and the executives choose if they are allowed to go straight from high school or they should go to college.

NBA_Starter
07-19-2009, 11:08 PM
I hope NBA goes up to at least where you have to have played 2 years in college, 3 like CFB would be Great but I'd settle for 2.

smith&wesson
07-19-2009, 11:19 PM
you guys realize that kevin garnet, jermain oniel, kobe bryant, lebron james, all came from high school ?
and they arent busts... my whole thing here is if your gonna be abust... chances are it doesnt matter if your 18 or 20... a bust is a bust is a bust.

just ask darko, or k brown... they are in theyre mid 20's and they are not even close to what ppl projected them to be. not even close. dont matter if they was drafted at 18 or 20 ... they are still busts regardless of the age they were drafted.

if james was a bust would you blame it on his age ? because he looked 30 coming out of highschool ... im sure stern is really kicking himself for lettin the cavs draft him out of high school ... lol NOT!!!

cheerio
07-19-2009, 11:20 PM
I think they NBA should make kids graduate college that way when they are done with the NBA they have an education to fall back on

carter15
07-19-2009, 11:25 PM
is their video of that 12 yr old in the game...i wanna see it.

HiphopRelated
07-19-2009, 11:34 PM
I hope NBA goes up to at least where you have to have played 2 years in college, 3 like CFB would be Great but I'd settle for 2.
uh why?

and don't say "busts" because they're just as many 4 year busts as highschool busts.

don't say social development either, these guys are the most pampered "students" on a campus.

It should be up to the team to decide whether player X is worth the development risk.

icon1914
07-19-2009, 11:35 PM
I think they NBA should make kids graduate college that way when they are done with the NBA they have an education to fall back on

Many college athletes never finish school, even the ones that use the entire four years of eligibility. Forcing someone to finish school is not the way to go, a kid that is interested in finishing school will do so.... if that is not his interest he will not.

The whole one year of college has more to do with improving the college game than preventing busts. There were busts before the wave of highschool players came during the late ninties/early 2000.... there will busts after any rule is implemented.

blazerman
07-19-2009, 11:43 PM
From a fan standpoint I would like the NBA to make it a rule that a prospective NBA player must complete 3 yrs of college before being eligible for the NBA draft.

Reason I say 3yrs is, if basketball doesnt workout for the player they could go back to school for 1yr and get a degree. We all know it is very unlikely a guy will return to school to persue a degree if he bails after his freshman or sophmore yr.
Also teams would have an easier time evaluating and acessing talent and could limit some of the bad contracts they sign players on based on pure potential, which always comes back full circle to the fan(in the pocketbook).

It's obvious that some guys have the ability to come straight out of high school (Lebron, Kobe, KG) but how many times do you see guys that think there good enough to play in the NBA and fail.

Look at that dumb bas***d Maurice Clarett from Ohio state in football, he through away his whole life after throwing away a great opportunity at OSU because he wanted a payday right now.

From an athletes point of view there always gonna wanna go for the money and glory as soon as possible.

So all in all I think the NBA should set a higher age benefiting teams by giving them an opportunity to see the products a little longer before they buy unlike now they buy a player then stash him in the D league,CBA, or Europe for a few yrs when the same guys could be getting an education that could help him more in the long run in case things dont work out in sports.

it cost alot of money to hire scouts and fly potential prospects in and out, big money to buy draft picks from other teams then if you sign a guy he usually sits for 2 or 3 yrs anyway. I say send them to school!!!

Hellcrooner
07-19-2009, 11:53 PM
i think it has more to do with a legit fear from Ncaa rulers that if players just could go from hig school to nba

1 the talent level would go down as hell

2 so the incomings would go donw as hell

3 and it would CERTIFY what some people has already realized and that is some european leagues being much beter tan Ncaa.

HiphopRelated
07-19-2009, 11:53 PM
These guys don't WANT to go to school. 3 years? 90% of them are taking "Communications". How many 6'7" tv reporters do you know?

Nobody here gives a damn about their future. Anybody would take a guaranteed 5 mil and worry about if it "doesn't work out" after that.

It's all money, and Stern is denying them the right to it. All playing longer does is increase their risk of injury while earning OTHER people money..

Don't want to "run the risk"? don't draft them. This is a simple thing constantly overlooked

marlinsfan24
07-19-2009, 11:55 PM
I think it should be like the NFL in that it should be 3 years of college, then you can declare

dee279
07-20-2009, 12:03 AM
I think it should be like the NFL in that it should be 3 years of college, then you can declare

Yeah you will see alot more Brandon Jennings type players then. Alot will be overseas and we will never get to see what they can do until they play their first game in the NBA.

GoatMilk
07-20-2009, 12:06 AM
most jobs that pay a ton of money require you to go to college and get a degree.

the nba players dont even have to do that. 1 year is no big honestly.
you want to get paid, go to school for a year, then get paid!!!!!!!!

HiphopRelated
07-20-2009, 12:11 AM
most jobs that pay a ton of money require you to go to college and get a degree.

and the company has a right not to hire them. They don't have a right to tell them don't apply.

what exactly would Lebron or Kobe have learned in one year @ college?

What did Beasley or Mayo or Rose learn 2 years ago, beyond how to continue taking a dump on inferior competition?

dee279
07-20-2009, 12:15 AM

Alot of you are not considering all of the work an NBA player or Pro player has to go through his or her whole life. Basically practicing everyday, working out everyday, and just doing all the work it takes to be great. People are not just born with jump shots. As a kid, they have their mind set on being a Pro, like most kids think, but pro players actually does what it takes to be abe to do it and live their dream.

Trouble87
07-20-2009, 12:16 AM
I'm all for anything that improves the quality of the game

older and more developed players will help the quality of the game...

Raps18-19 Champ
07-20-2009, 12:17 AM

You have to stay 3-5 years to get degrees depending on what your studying.

And Stern is worried about guys who suck and think they are good but can't make the NBA. Guys like Chris Washburn and other big bust are guys rpobably working as a car saleman or something.

zambo4president
07-20-2009, 12:17 AM
If that were to happen, hello Euroleague.

JWO35
07-20-2009, 12:26 AM
I'm for letting High-School players back into the NBA, I know some will flop but some will become instant Superstars.

What's so bad? Some of the Best players came straight out of High-School (ex. LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, etc.). And if NBA still had no age limit....Kevin Durant, OJ Mayo, Micheal Beasley, Greg Oden all would have came out of High School, along with Blake Griffin and Brandon Jennings.

WSU Tony
07-20-2009, 12:43 AM
you guys realize that kevin garnet, jermain oniel, kobe bryant, lebron james, all came from high school ?
and they arent busts... my whole thing here is if your gonna be abust... chances are it doesnt matter if your 18 or 20... a bust is a bust is a bust.

just ask darko, or k brown... they are in theyre mid 20's and they are not even close to what ppl projected them to be. not even close. dont matter if they was drafted at 18 or 20 ... they are still busts regardless of the age they were drafted.

if james was a bust would you blame it on his age ? because he looked 30 coming out of highschool ... im sure stern is really kicking himself for lettin the cavs draft him out of high school ... lol NOT!!!

And they weren't stars at 18 years of age, either. 2 years in college would be a good thing not only to show the importance of an education but to not make a mochary of college. We wonder why we find so many NBA players getting into off court issues. We hand them millions of dollars at 18 years of age and expect them not to get into trouble? Lets put a bull in a china shop and see what happens...

2 years sounds good.

Beltrans Mole
07-20-2009, 12:44 AM
i think that if you are going to make kids go to school, it should be 2 years instead of 1 year. overall i think high school players should be able to choose whether they wanna play in the nba or college. most college kids are in school to better position themselves for the future, whatever that may be...how are nba prospects any different? if they can make money, than go ahead. sure, there are busts but there will always be busts in the nba. i think young guys like dwight howard, lebron, and kobe, etc make the nba more exciting anyways..what are they really going to learn in 1 year of "school" anyways?

Raps18-19 Champ
07-20-2009, 12:51 AM
Stern is worried that NBA players are stereotyped as the "Dumb, black basketball player" and I don't think he wants that to happen.

blazerman
07-20-2009, 06:34 AM
Stern is worried that NBA players are stereotyped as the "Dumb, black basketball player" and I don't think he wants that to happen.

Alot of players in sports are well educated but their are alot of players black or white that are dumber than dumb and thats because they only wanted to apply themselves on the court.

Look at Eddie Curry he's an idiot, the dude needs to take out a loan on fututre earnings because he cant live on 10 mil a season or whatever he makes. A little finances 101 would have helped that big dope!

JayW_1023
07-20-2009, 07:22 AM
I think at least two seasons of college is the minimum and an age limit of 21.

SteveNash
07-20-2009, 07:42 AM
In a perfect world.

Age limit reduced to 16.

NBA creates a real minor league system where teams don't have to share players belonging to different NBA teams.

The NCAA monopoly is broken up.

Players playing for the NCAA get paid for bringing in billions of dollars into their schools.

Chicagofaithful
07-20-2009, 07:50 AM
what people sometimes fail to realize is that David Stern doesn't change the age limit JUST to decrease bust percentage. Think about this for a second with me, if you are a normal individual what do you do during march? Watch march madness (including all those fans who hate the nba but love college basketball well those fans who all watch march madness find a few players they like that they enjoyed watching and wanted to succeed and then are a ton more likely to follow them in the NBA now that they have someone to root for, as opposed to all these players who are really good but have no name in the majority of the public because no one except for sports freaks like ourselves follow the nba so closely, you feel me?

BkOriginalOne
07-20-2009, 07:59 AM
I think it should be 18.
But there's has to be some kind of board that decides whether or not they are good enough to make the jump straight to the NBA.
If You're 18, you're legally and adult; if you want to start you're career and make a living, that should be an option. If you go to college, you should be there for 2 years.

Reddd
07-20-2009, 08:29 AM

Kwame Brown could've matured his game in college and he could've improved his basketball IQ. There's a lot of things that a High School coach can't teach. At high-school you mostly learn the basics, but basketball goes way beyond than basics. And at college there's much bigger competition over a starting spot than in High-School.
Plus if James would've been a bust than i think most of the people would
ve blamed the age, saying maybe he was too young for the NBA, he should've gone to college. Plus I have never heard that a college career was bad for somebody, but overally there have been great pickups from high-school, can't argue with that,

Anon
07-20-2009, 08:45 AM
2 years in college. It's better for the NBA and college basketball.

sportscrazy34
07-20-2009, 09:04 AM
Sure you should have the right to start a career but playing in the NBA is not a right. IF it was my 6'0 *** would execute that right. And to say they earned it in high school is off base. There is nothing wrong with stern wanting them to spend at least one yr in collage. On top of that i agree with those who say it should be 2-3 yrs of collage to be eligible. Like goat pointed out plenty of jobs out that require you to a minimum amount of collage.

SB75
07-20-2009, 09:06 AM
NO. It's just wrong. It's prohibiting players from making a living. The teams that make bad decisions and draft players to early deserve what they get.

SpeeMN
07-20-2009, 09:17 AM
a lot of the professional athletes are hard headed, egotistical, pampered divas.... especially at the beginning of their careers. They want the money and fame and to show that they are the best. But a lot of these dumb ***** are spending all their money within 5 years of retirement. Sending them to College for a couple years can ground a person and make them realize what life is like for the other people in this world. THEY BETTER GET SOME EDUCATION IF THEY ARE TO BE MILLIONAIRES!!!

GSRaider
07-20-2009, 09:38 AM
21 years old

BALLER71
07-20-2009, 09:40 AM

Darko was 18 and Kwame was 18 as well when drafted.

HiphopRelated
07-20-2009, 10:07 AM
NO. It's just wrong. It's prohibiting players from making a living. The teams that make bad decisions and draft players to early deserve what they get.
basically what I said earlier

I guess JJ Reddick and Adam Morrison are superstars

Name the highschool busts, and I can name just as many college busts

JWO35
07-20-2009, 10:21 AM
People must admit that some of the best NBA Superstars came straight out of High-School....

masalex1205
07-20-2009, 10:39 AM
I like the age requirement but it brings more corruption into the college game. OJ Mayo and Rose and only the beg. We're going to see a lot more of this in the near future.

S-Dot
07-20-2009, 10:40 AM
dont do it...one yr is enough, these kids dont wanna be in school; lets not force them any longer than year. If they like college they will stay. if they don't let them leave.

ttam68
07-20-2009, 12:33 PM

RiLoc
07-20-2009, 12:39 PM
I personally believe there should be absolutely no college requirement for NBA players. I can see an age requirement 18 or 19. If you raise it higher than that, then a non-affiliated minor league needs to be created.

The idea of making players stay in college for 2-3 years is absurd in basketball. You’ll just see more and more players like Brandon Jennings.

I am a big proponent of education, but the reality is that most players who are already draft ready don’t go to college to learn. The notion that they obtain vast knowledge from the college experience is foolish, because they are pampered students that just do enough to be eligible.

It’s also not fair to compare NBA to the NFL for three reasons:
1) Almost all NFL players come from the NCAA, thus it's easy to create requirements.
2) It’s a violent sport, 18-19 year old players who are less muscular, less mature and less developed would would get killed on the NFL football field.
3) It's a violent sport, the likelihood of a player's career ending early is much higher, meaning the necessity for alternative career options is higher.

Anon
07-20-2009, 01:01 PM
The idea of making players stay in college for 2-3 years is absurd in basketball. You’ll just see more and more players like Brandon Jennings.

So? What's wrong with Brandon Jennings?

S-Dot
07-20-2009, 01:05 PM
So? What's wrong with Brandon Jennings?

I think he's saying you'll see more people take his route if they implement a new rule.

slaker619
07-20-2009, 01:08 PM
I Say 20 Years Too Many Young People Who Aren't Fully Polished Come Into The League Abd Would Mean Everyone In The Draft Will Actually Have A Chance At Not Being A Bust Cough.....Cough.....Cough.....Kwamye Brown

Anon
07-20-2009, 01:15 PM
I think he's saying you'll see more people take his route if they implement a new rule.

Right, what's wrong with players choosing to get paid to play in Europe rather than going to college?

S-Dot
07-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Right, what's wrong with players choosing to get paid to play in Europe rather than going to college?

Nothing i'm guessing. I respect it as long as u are aware of the situation overseas

Ballah0liC1
07-20-2009, 01:49 PM
ok how does a player learn the game better two years in college or two years in the nba before they become a major impact,
look at guys like kobe,garnett,lebron,amare,tmac,oneil,howard,r.lewi s they learned from the best of the best not ppl their age they would just dominate anyways.

Also how in the world can u tell someone what they can or cant do if they bust their *** trying to get to that point, this **** is like a guy trying to become a doctor and having to learn basketball, what does that have to do with anything

RiLoc
07-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Right, what's wrong with players choosing to get paid to play in Europe rather than going to college?From a players perspective, there's nothing wrong with going overseas. But, why should it be necessary for players who are ready to do that for 2-3 years (the quote was in regards to 2-3 years)? There are players that develop into significant contributors to teams by the time that is over. Think of all the players who were stars by that time was over.

Personally, I'd rather see a continuation of expansion to D-League, I think that'd go farther toward polishing players anyway.

If an age limit is absolutely necessary, then why not allow the player to be drafted after high school, but cannot play in the NBA until one after high school or whatever (forcing a player to go to D-League). It'd still make more sense than forcing players to either go overseas or take a meaningless year (or two or three) of college. It'd probably make D-League more acceptable for players in general.

HiphopRelated
07-22-2009, 08:06 PM
I don't think he implied anything was wrong with it, but it does go against Stern's REAL reason.

In Europe, Jennings was mostly out of sight, out of mind..so Stern didn't get the free promotion of the NCAA