PDA

View Full Version : Why Do the NBA and its fans have to obsess on who is the best all the time?

jerseykidd88
07-19-2009, 12:32 PM
say who is better than who and who is the best . Example th elebron and kobe puppets and it just feels like players are over marketed ... are they just tryin to bring back another Jordan LOL another example people making threads called best pf in league second best third best ??/ comeon!:mad:

jerseykidd88
07-19-2009, 12:42 PM
IT Should be more about team playing like baseball does you know?

dougie5627
07-19-2009, 12:55 PM
basketball due its fewer players playing at one time relies on the excellence of a few more than an overall team, individual players can take you far in basketball so people like to debate whos the better player. great players create excitement and are generally all round performers and this is magnified due to the small numbers on the court.

tr4shb0t
07-19-2009, 12:59 PM
same reason why a movie is better when there is a good guy and a bad guy

MiamiHeat
07-19-2009, 01:37 PM
yes, NBA is trying to make Lebron the next Jordan

Raps08-09 Champ
07-19-2009, 02:02 PM
It because when teams have good players, the fans sometime get out of control and can't get over themselves.

ink
07-19-2009, 02:38 PM
say who is better than who and who is the best . Example th elebron and kobe puppets and it just feels like players are over marketed ... are they just tryin to bring back another Jordan LOL another example people making threads called best pf in league second best third best ??/ comeon!:mad:

It gets really lame with all the comparisons and the constant Kobe vs. MJ or Kobe vs. Lebron or Wade vs. Kobe vs. Lebron blah blah blah ...

You're right. Even though individuals can make more of an impact in the NBA (one player in a starting five can make a huge difference), it's still a team game. The league markets the hell out of its superstars and really dumbs down the coverage of the sport by doing that IMO.

It's funny.

The same fans that hate on Lebron and/or Kobe because they get too much attention, are the same fans that start the interminable comparison threads about superstars.

I guess they don't get the irony in that.

:shrug:

DetroitRipCity
07-19-2009, 02:50 PM

that will never happen

jmastert
07-19-2009, 03:08 PM
because one nba player leaves more of an impact to his team than one mlb player to his team (playing wise)

still1ballin
07-19-2009, 03:15 PM
because its fun

abe_froman
07-19-2009, 03:20 PM
IT Should be more about team playing like baseball does you know?

yes because there's no threads in the baseball forum that compare players or asks who the best pitchers are...wait,there is

totally like baseball where its all about team and nothing about who the best pitcher is:
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362510

or best catcher:
http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124933

yup,nothing like that with baseball

NYtilIdie
07-19-2009, 03:35 PM
You can stack a baseball team with top talent like the Yankees, but that doesn't guarantee you a WS victory.

For a basketball team to have a guy like Lebron or Kobe makes a HUGE difference. The Cavs are a lottery team without Lebron and he gave them the best record in the league last year that shows how one player can make a difference.

As for the "whose the best" argument it's just a reason to give people to talk or hate on players like Lebron and Kobe. We all know Michael Jordan is the G.O.A.T. so theres no reason to argue about whose the best unless your just needing a reason to hate.

Hawkeye15
07-19-2009, 03:37 PM
There is no argument currently. At all. Nada. Kobe is too far along, and LeBron hasn't done squat yet. There is no player right now that appears will challenge Mike.
The threads are done by Kobe/Wade/LeBron fans who are trying to pump their guys up. Any real basketball fan knows that Michael Jordan is the clear cut best player to ever walk. If LJ can keep this pace for 6-7 more years, and add at least a handful of rings, then maybe. But probably not at this point, he is already in his 5-6th year.

Raps08-09 Champ
07-19-2009, 03:50 PM
There is no argument currently. At all. Nada. Kobe is too far along, and LeBron hasn't done squat yet. There is no player right now that appears will challenge Mike.
The threads are done by Kobe/Wade/LeBron fans who are trying to pump their guys up. Any real basketball fan knows that Michael Jordan is the clear cut best player to ever walk. If LJ can keep this pace for 6-7 more years, and add at least a handful of rings, then maybe. But probably not at this point, he is already in his 5-6th year.

Lebron is only 25 and will only be 31 in 6 years.

Hawkeye15
07-19-2009, 04:28 PM

LeBron is in his peak years right now though. Guys didn't use to come into the league at 18, and play 40 mpg. It takes a toll on you're body. When he turns 30, it will be like a player from 10-15 years back turning 34. Games played, not age, is a determining factor I think.

ink
07-19-2009, 04:33 PM
because its fun

Not really. Most of the time it's really really dumb. The threads are awful. Kobe/Wade/Lebron fans starting the same threads over and over and over again. Next time anyone actually posts something original on the topic I'd like to hear about it.

RaiderLakersA's
07-19-2009, 04:34 PM

Age means nothing. Back when Kobe and Shaq teamed up, we thought that the two of them would have won 6 or 7 titles by now. But life rarely goes according to plan.

LBJ should have incredible stats by the time it's all said and done, but stats alone don't make you the GOAT, unlike in baseball and other sports. This is why titles means so much in the NBA in weighing a player's overall greatness. With only 10 players on the floor at any one time, the cream rises to the top, unless they are defeated by other great players.

ink
07-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Counting down until this becomes another Kobe vs. Lebron thread ....

10 ... 9 ... 8 ... 7 ...

BlinkManJan02
07-19-2009, 05:00 PM

your sig made me laugh hahaha.

and it doesn't really bother me that people discuss who the best is.

Raps08-09 Champ
07-19-2009, 05:21 PM
LeBron is in his peak years right now though. Guys didn't use to come into the league at 18, and play 40 mpg. It takes a toll on you're body. When he turns 30, it will be like a player from 10-15 years back turning 34. Games played, not age, is a determining factor I think.

He is a tank now and plays physical but in a couple of years, he'll develop that shot and won't play as physical so he last longer.

Now if he can get some help is another question.

xxxplicit69
07-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Fans obbess over who's the best because it's the nature of sports, never ending competition, and the what if factor, i like the comparisons when "REAL SPORTS FANS" conversate over the topic, let me reiterate, when i say real sports fans, i mean those who aren't biased. i like to compare kobe to mike because i actually remember watching mike play and have seen the developement of kobe over the years. Now i was born in chicago, but when i say mike is the best, there's no bias feelings in that, mike's impact on the nba is immeasurable, the reason why you even have the prototype 6'6 sg with handles, a J and mad hops all in one is because of mike. and mike definately filled the stat sheets, more than some of you fans even know. and i watch youtube at times or nba tv the show full games that jordan played in, before he started winning rings and then i watch kobe's full games, there are a lot similarities in their footwork, when and where they score on the court, how they attack, the drive and killer assassin like insticts they have on offense, kobe is the closest thing to mike but definately not better. but i'm okay with some of those comparisons and understanding of it because its great marketing, to those how actually play basketball its imspiring, shoe sales and jersey's are unbelievable, and it also helps these players get those huge contracts and i dont hate on that, i like seeing people who came from nothing, make it real big and live out there dream. if they didn't have imphasis on who's the best, it would be kind of boring. the championship would have been much more exciting if it was kobe vs lebron, like some type wwe championship match. lol now everyone has their opinions so don't attack me if you don't agree with mine's, i'm just stating reasons why the nba does it, plus remember it is 5 on 5 on the court and its not like all of those 5 players are all stars, so when you see a player go for 50 or 81 points, you damn right he's gonna get a lot of individual attention as a player and people will start comparing that player to other good players. what do you guys think the all star game is about, the only way those players get in is by comparing them to other individual players and the fans and coaches vote who they think is better.

Hawkeye15
07-19-2009, 05:50 PM
He is a tank now and plays physical but in a couple of years, he'll develop that shot and won't play as physical so he last longer.

Now if he can get some help is another question.

I am just telling you the trend. For a guy who plays physical, game 1000-1100 are about when they start the head south. I can't predict what will happen with him however, just using the basic model that 90% of the players fall into

KaganRS
07-19-2009, 05:51 PM

bahahhaha i love your sig pic , that video makes me laugh non-stop because of the sandals flying off

Gro_Da_Fro_Back
07-19-2009, 06:14 PM
basketball due its fewer players playing at one time relies on the excellence of a few more than an overall team, individual players can take you far in basketball so people like to debate whos the better player. great players create excitement and are generally all round performers and this is magnified due to the small numbers on the court.

You sound kinda like a dictionary

Raps08-09 Champ
07-19-2009, 06:16 PM
I am just telling you the trend. For a guy who plays physical, game 1000-1100 are about when they start the head south. I can't predict what will happen with him however, just using the basic model that 90% of the players fall into

I agree with you 100%. I was just adding that other stuff.

glmaddog57
07-19-2009, 07:04 PM

Jordan is and was and will always be the best basketball player EVER! You can take that from a Piston fan! The best team of all time though I still believe was the Lakers in the early 70s(just my opinion) from my observation.

vash9
07-19-2009, 08:16 PM
For some reason i have a ******** theory/conspiracy about the NBA and why we do obsess about the best players and yadda yadda. Hear me out or read it whatever. haha.

I actually think, at the back of my mind, the NBA is a Drama TV Series. Weird huh? But it all connects if you think about it.

An All-Star player gets injured Example: Kobe somehow breaks an ankle and is out like what 20 games. It adds suspense to see if the Lakers can win without Kobe (not that they can't or whatever, just an example) The fans go crazy, and when the camera goes to Kobe in his suit, seeing his team trailing by 20 points, pants back and forth, yells at his teammates, and bites his thumb. I see that as a drama. Lol.

When players get traded, it breaks our hearts. When a team picks up a player, we are happy or sad. Adds more suspense. We get pissed, we get happy,we discuss it everywhere online.

You get where i'm going.

People state the best players yadda yadda are like good guys and the other, his rival (Example: Bryant & James) is the bad guy.

The best player in the NBA is Chris Mihm..LOL. *Sarcasm*